BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Options for aftermarket brakes/audio speakers

12-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
MonsterMontoya
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 s30i

Options for aftermarket brakes/audio speakers

Hi all,

Finally picked up my s30i after a 2-month wait (half of which was tracking a ship travel across the ocean ).

I'd like to improve two areas of the car and was looking for advice if anyone has done something similar. First thing is to improve the brakes - I demoed the standard and track handling m brakes, but I prefer a much stronger 'bite' and more stopping power. Does anyone have any advice about braking upgrades that would fit the car?

Second area to improve is getting better speakers. The G29 is still on the new side so the options may be limited but does anyone know of any simply 'swap-in' replacements that could upgrade the audio quality? The stock bass seems good enough (not looking for a powered sub), but the tone and mid-range is a bit lacking.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Regarding your second area--I don't know what sound system you have, but car audio speakers need a break in period just like home audio speakers. Usually, you should notice a change after about 30 hours of use. The speakers are not fully broken in until about 100 hours of use.

I would wait until the current speakers are broken in before making any change. Just a thought.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      12-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
MonsterMontoya
Rep

Good point, very true.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMontoya View Post
Hi all,

Finally picked up my s30i after a 2-month wait (half of which was tracking a ship travel across the ocean ).

I'd like to improve two areas of the car and was looking for advice if anyone has done something similar. First thing is to improve the brakes - I demoed the standard and track handling m brakes, but I prefer a much stronger 'bite' and more stopping power. Does anyone have any advice about braking upgrades that would fit the car?

Second area to improve is getting better speakers. The G29 is still on the new side so the options may be limited but does anyone know of any simply 'swap-in' replacements that could upgrade the audio quality? The stock bass seems good enough (not looking for a powered sub), but the tone and mid-range is a bit lacking.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks!
I did a full upgrade of the audio system, details in my post here: https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1672543

But if you just want a plug and play speaker swap option, Bavsound have a package for you: https://www.bavsound.com/

Audiotech Fischer Match range also do a cheaper option if you don't want to spend too much: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_97542C...42C-BMW-2.html

Focal also offer an option: https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/is-bmw-100l

Find a dealer in Europe if you want the Focal though, they're half the US price.

I can help you with guidance/info on how to remove the door cards for the upgrade if you need help.
Appreciate 2
CeEl477.50
ToysArs60.50
      01-10-2020, 11:56 PM   #5
MonsterMontoya
Rep

I’ve never purchased new car speakers before; how do you decide which speakers will work best for the car? Are there demo setups before purchase? I wouldn’t want to spend money and end up with something as bad as the own setup (or worse!)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #6
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep

All of the options I listed are guaranteed to sound better than the ones that come with the car.

They're all DIY install, so there's not really any demo before purchase.

If you prefer to demo, I advise going to a car audio installer, in which case you won't need to stay with plug and play options, because they can use an adapter on most 4 inch speakers to make it fit the BMW fitting.

If your car is a lease, just tell them you need them to be able to be returned to stock at some point so they don't do any mods that would affect that, and also keep the stock ones so you can put them back before you return the car.

If you're in/near LA, you're welcome to have a listen to mine, to hear the difference, although I didn't use any of those options, it will give you an idea of how an upgrade will sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by auditorycanvas View Post
All of the options I listed are guaranteed to sound better than the ones that come with the car.

They're all DIY install, so there's not really any demo before purchase.

If you prefer to demo, I advise going to a car audio installer, in which case you won't need to stay with plug and play options, because they can use an adapter on most 4 inch speakers to make it fit the BMW fitting.

If your car is a lease, just tell them you need them to be able to be returned to stock at some point so they don't do any mods that would affect that, and also keep the stock ones so you can put them back before you return the car.

If you're in/near LA, you're welcome to have a listen to mine, to hear the difference, although I didn't use any of those options, it will give you an idea of how an upgrade will sound.
Just looked at the Bavsound speaker upgrade. Wow, $800. Is the sound really that much better? I have two left thumbs so would probably have a shop install these, which adds to the expense.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Just looked at the Bavsound speaker upgrade. Wow, $800. Is the sound really that much better? I have two left thumbs so would probably have a shop install these, which adds to the expense.
The Bavsound ones are $500 for the g29. I would recommend the Focal ones out of the 3 options I listed.

Last edited by auditorycanvas; 01-11-2020 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50