BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum UK Anyone Daily Driving G29 Z4

01-17-2020, 05:09 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

UK Anyone Daily Driving G29 Z4

I still love this car, the new shape is fantastic and I've my eyes on a few deals.

Is the cloth top a realistic DD in wet/terrible weather? I feel it would be fine, I've the option to garage the car overnight so no winter frost etc.

I'm pretty good with car cosmetic maintenance too, I assume a little treatment every few months will keep the top looking like new?
      01-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Keithark
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I still love this car, the new shape is fantastic and I've my eyes on a few deals.

Is the cloth top a realistic DD in wet/terrible weather? I feel it would be fine, I've the option to garage the car overnight so no winter frost etc.

I'm pretty good with car cosmetic maintenance too, I assume a little treatment every few months will keep the top looking like new?
Hi , yes I use mine daily, no problems at all, even with all the rain we are having, you wouldn't know it was a soft top.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17480.00
joca107.50
      01-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:

No issues with rain, even go through touch less car washes where they use high pressure hose before entering the wash - no issues.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      01-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:

No issues with rain, even go through touch less car washes where they use high pressure hose before entering the wash - no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithark View Post
Quote:

Hi , yes I use mine daily, no problems at all, even with all the rain we are having, you wouldn't know it was a soft top.
Great feedback guys really appreciate the time to answer. Might have cost me a bit of money too!
      01-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
blaird03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M40i, TTS, Abarth

Had mine a month.
No space in garage at home, but parked underground at work.
I will use fabric protection on the roof when it gets warmer and apply every 6 months.
Wash at home with a pressure washer - no issues.
Fabric roofs are much more durable than before and will last years if kept clean.
Insulation is great, as said above, just like a real roof. However on the M40i with the larger wheels the tyre roar is excessive I find.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      01-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

No problems at all. Mine lives on the driveway and gets a wash when required. I haven't put anything special on the roof yet as the dealer said it's pre-treated and best left alone.

Only thing I would say is don't get too close with a pressure washer - frameless windows and rubber seals are not bomb-proof.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      01-18-2020, 03:30 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
No problems at all. Mine lives on the driveway and gets a wash when required. I haven't put anything special on the roof yet as the dealer said it's pre-treated and best left alone.

Only thing I would say is don't get too close with a pressure washer - frameless windows and rubber seals are not bomb-proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaird03 View Post
Had mine a month.
No space in garage at home, but parked underground at work.
I will use fabric protection on the roof when it gets warmer and apply every 6 months.
Wash at home with a pressure washer - no issues.
Fabric roofs are much more durable than before and will last years if kept clean.
Insulation is great, as said above, just like a real roof. However on the M40i with the larger wheels the tyre roar is excessive I find.
Spot on thanks both!
      01-18-2020, 04:07 AM   #8
Toejedi
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 M40i

I use mine as a daily, advice is to fabric protect and try not to put the roof down when wet or damp as it can cause issues or extra crease lines.

Insulation is fine. I don’t scrub or sponge the roof when washing, I just use a snow foam and rinse off from a reasonable distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #9
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
I coated my fabric roof when I first got the car 9 months ago using Gtechniq Smart Fabric I1. I garage the car so it is not left out in the open exposed to all elements of weather.

Each time I wash the car I shampoo the paintwork but only hose down the fabric top. After about 20 washes the water still just bounces off the roof when it is hosed. The remaining beads of water can easily be dried off with a light rub with a drying towel.

I would highly recommend the Gtechniq coating. You just need to be careful to avoid getting it onto the paintwork and glass when applying it.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      01-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks all.

I've always been PCPing car for the last 7 or so. There is a nice Pre Reg locally £30k for Misano Blue 2.0 MSport Plus with Comfort Pack.

I've had every toy BMW can throw at a car but feel like easing back on options.

Seems that this is pretty much the going rate for would you say?

2.0 SDrive MSport
MSport Plus Pack
Basic Comfort Pack (just for wind deflector and ability to open close roof with key

Cheers
Chris
      01-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all.

I've always been PCPing car for the last 7 or so. There is a nice Pre Reg locally £30k for Misano Blue 2.0 MSport Plus with Comfort Pack.

2.0 SDrive MSport
MSport Plus Pack
Basic Comfort Pack (just for wind deflector and ability to open close roof with key

Cheers
Chris
That's nearly 30% off so if the mileage isn't too high that would be a good deal.

Might be worth waiting until March though, as dealers will be registering 20 plates and wanting to shift them by the end of the month.

Either way (and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) don't pay the AUC 12.4% PCP rate or your monthlies will be nearly the same as a new car.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      01-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:
Thanks all.

2.0 SDrive MSport
MSport Plus Pack

Cheers
Chris
That's nearly 30% off so if the mileage isn't too high that would be a good deal.

Might be worth waiting until March though, as dealers will be registering 20 plates and wanting to shift them by the end of the month.

Either way (and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) don't pay the AUC 12.4% PCP rate or your monthlies will be nearly the same as a new car.
Oh yes indeed those 'appealing' AUC APRs make my eyes bleed!
      01-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
blaird03
Enlisted Member
Rep

I got around 14% discount on a new stock M40i and with the low PCP Apr it was a decent deal
Better than I thought I could get.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaird03 View Post
I got around 14% discount on a new stock M40i and with the low PCP Apr it was a decent deal
Better than I thought I could get.
What APR was on at the time, of you don't mind. I've not really seen it shift from 4.9.

Cheers
      01-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #15
blaird03
Enlisted Member
Rep

same 4.9 which is decent for pcp
Appreciate 1
JustChris17480.00
      01-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Yep, 4.9 is standard for a new Z4 at the moment.

AUC is 12.4 but you should be able to talk them down to around 7. I don't think you'll get 4.9 on a pre-reg but it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited by ZedsRedBaby; 01-18-2020 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Said 6, but I think 7 is more likely.
Appreciate 0