BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Future BMW model information

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #1233
Ibiza
Major
Ibiza's Avatar
United_States
1084
Rep
1,330
Posts

Drives: 2018 F83 ZCP & 2018 F85
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So for the F90 M5 S63 engine, will it be known as the S63tu2 now?
I believe the F90 went from Tu 2 to Tu4; wonder if the S63tu4 will be further tweaked for the future X5M/X6M just the current generation was?
__________________
2018 X5M 1/18 PCD
2018 M4 cabrio ZCP- ED 9/17- PCD 12/17
Retired:
2015 X5 50i PCD, 2015 435 Cabrio ED, 2011 X3 PCD, 2011 335is Cabrio ED/PCD, 2007 X3is PCD, 2007 335i Cabrio PCD, 2004 328i Cabrio PCD
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #1234
3M TAPE
Banned
3M TAPE's Avatar
No_Country
349
Rep
1,235
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post

EOP for Current Models

F22 2er - 10/21
F23 2er - 10/21



So does that mean the current 2 series/M2 will last until 10/21? That would be a long overall generation.
Looks pretty normal to me

2014-2018 2er (pre-LCI) - 4 years
2019-2021 2er (LCI) - 3 years
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #1235
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1266
Rep
2,297
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Added a sizable chunk of info on engines.
Some of those are related to PPF for EU6c/d/7, CN6, and EPA Tier III not necessarily output class.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #1236
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3742
Rep
10,360
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

what does "TU" mean?
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #1237
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1266
Rep
2,297
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
what does "TU" mean?
Technical Update. It indicates majority of components are revised or new rather than carry-over.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #1238
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1266
Rep
2,297
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So for the F90 M5 S63 engine, will it be known as the S63tu2 now?
F90 is TU4. It's quite different.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #1239
FC05
Private
FC05's Avatar
39
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 (blk)/F31 335i (blk)
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Taipei / West Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
what does "TU" mean?
Maybe it just means Tune ups......
With just a few refresh components and software updates
You all know how easily you can do with turbo engines

Where are new units? BMW

Oppositions are introducing electric turbos to their new units and all BMW could do are those TUs'
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #1240
ynguldyn
Colonel
3004
Rep
2,148
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Regarding the B58, wikipedia suggests the 250Kw version is actually called the O0. Is that incorrect? It did seem strange to me that the X3 M40i specs call its new 265Kw version the M0, which is the name the original 240Kw version goes by. I agree it would make more sense if, as you say, all of them are M0 than if only the middle child is O0.
All current B58 applications are M0. My brain breaks a little every time I look up the info for a new higher powered model and still see M0 there. I'm a traditionalist, I learned to expect a new revision for each change in power output level, chasing all those versions that are truly just ECU and exhaust tweaks is exhausting (pardon the pun).
Quote:
Still nothing about a new V8 family, eh? Rumors suggest that the 8 Series will get a 4.0L V8 which would presumably be all new rather than simply an N63 with less displacement.
Nope, nothing. But maybe those rumors are about that N63M I mentioned - using a lower output V8 just for prestige would make sense in the 8er.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
I believe the F90 went from Tu 2 to Tu4; wonder if the S63tu4 will be further tweaked for the future X5M/X6M just the current generation was?
Correct, the engine used in F90 through F96 is the TU4 iteration. I don't think there'll be any significant tweaking in the near future, S engines tend to have longer iteration cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Some of those are related to PPF for EU6c/d/7, CN6, and EPA Tier III not necessarily output class.
TUs exist to solve all kinds of issues, including emissions. In the case of B48A TU (can't say anything about B48B TU yet), emissions clearly seem to be the focus: the output numbers remain the same, but there's an all-new ECU to manage the engine.
Appreciate 3
FSociety3226.00
mkoesel5552.50

      08-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #1241
ynguldyn
Colonel
3004
Rep
2,148
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
Maybe it just means Tune ups......
With just a few refresh components and software updates
You all know how easily you can do with turbo engines
No. TU is actually TÜ, which means "Technische Überarbeitung" or "technical revision" for those of you without Google Translate. It is always more than just a few software updates, nowhere close to what aftermarket turbo tuners do.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3226.00
FC0538.50

      08-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #1242
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1266
Rep
2,297
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
TUs exist to solve all kinds of issues, including emissions. In the case of B48A TU (can't say anything about B48B TU yet), emissions clearly seem to be the focus: the output numbers remain the same, but there's an all-new ECU to manage the engine.
There's a little snippet about it in a Rolls Royce document.

On the B58, there's an answer.

F30 LCI - EU6
G11/30 - EU6c
G01 - EU6d

All are the same base engine variant with a supplementary addendum specific to the type installation. This changes even more on Friday.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #1243
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
21
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
There's a little snippet about it in a Rolls Royce document.

On the B58, there's an answer.

F30 LCI - EU6
G11/30 - EU6c
G01 - EU6d

All are the same base engine variant with a supplementary addendum specific to the type installation. This changes even more on Friday.
Which engine (B58 ...) will get the "normal" M2 as N55 has to be replaced for emission reasons. When will this be?
Everybode is talking about M2 CS / Competition but no information on techn. update of normal M2 till EOP.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #1244
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5553
Rep
18,501
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpassion View Post
Which engine (B58 ...) will get the "normal" M2 as N55 has to be replaced for emission reasons. When will this be?
It will probably just continue with the N55 until the end of the run. The Z4 continued to use the N54 for years after it had been replaced by the N55 in the rest of the lineup for similar reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #1245
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1266
Rep
2,297
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpassion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
There's a little snippet about it in a Rolls Royce document.

On the B58, there's an answer.

F30 LCI - EU6
G11/30 - EU6c
G01 - EU6d

All are the same base engine variant with a supplementary addendum specific to the type installation. This changes even more on Friday.
Which engine (B58 ...) will get the "normal" M2 as N55 has to be replaced for emission reasons. When will this be?
Everybode is talking about M2 CS / Competition but no information on techn. update of normal M2 till EOP.
A PPF can be installed rather than an engine update in markets where the individual type and/or Manufacturer Group Pool Average requirements dictate it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #1246
Motivate
Private First Class
40
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: Shopping for a new one
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TAPE View Post
Looks pretty normal to me

2014-2018 2er (pre-LCI) - 4 years
2019-2021 2er (LCI) - 3 years


But the LCI M240 as well as the LCI M2 are 2018 models though. I thought the current 2 series would end in MY2020.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 03:24 AM   #1247
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
1325
Rep
2,149
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Any info on next gen M3???
Probably the S58 which is also slated for the X3M.
That would make complete sense considering the Next X5/X6M and the F90 are sharing the same engine.

Sucks to see though that they have 3 years to improve but BMW will still release an M3 with less HP/TQ than the competition's older generations (current C63, Alfa Guilia, etc).
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #1248
matbl
Second Lieutenant
37
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: G31
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
There's a little snippet about it in a Rolls Royce document.

On the B58, there's an answer.

F30 LCI - EU6
G11/30 - EU6c
G01 - EU6d

All are the same base engine variant with a supplementary addendum specific to the type installation. This changes even more on Friday.
On friday? What happens on friday?
Appreciate 2
JustChris8940.00

      08-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #1249
PackPride85
Major
United_States
754
Rep
1,198
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It will probably just continue with the N55 until the end of the run. The Z4 continued to use the N54 for years after it had been replaced by the N55 in the rest of the lineup for similar reasons.
They can run the N55 until Sept 2019. All cars produced after must meet Euro 6C emissions (the standard goes into effect on 9/18 but you're allowed one year to get existing models into compliance). Even if the regular 2er continues to 2021, I'm betting the regular M2 will most likely be done in 2019. No point in switching to a new motor for a year or so. Especially since they seem to be co-developing the M cars with the regular ones for release at the same time (or near) now.

Last edited by PackPride85; 08-29-2017 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #1250
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5553
Rep
18,501
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
But the LCI M240 as well as the LCI M2 are 2018 models though. I thought the current 2 series would end in MY2020.
Irrespective of the LCI (and model years, which are really a US/Canada thing), the normal product cycle is seven years. And since the F22 started in 2014, it makes sense that it will go until 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
They can run the N55 until Sept 2019. All cars produced after must meet Euro 6C emissions (the standard goes into effect on 9/18 but you're allowed one year to get existing models into compliance). Even if the regular 2er continues to 2021, I'm betting the regular M2 will most likely be done in 2019. No point in switching to a new motor for a year or so.
Interesting point. It would seem to be a lost opportunity for the M2 to end in 2019 when it could otherwise go until 2021. Unless they end up cutting the F22 run short and releasing the G42 early, perhaps the M2 will actually switch to a B58. As ynguldyn reports, the B58B30O1 will be here by then, and its output will no doubt eclipse that of the N55B30T0 in the M2 today since the B58B30M0 in the new X3 M40i is only about 10hp shy right now.

Quote:
Especially since they seem to be co-developing the M cars with the regular ones for release at the same time (or near) now.
Not quite. The M5 is coming to market just over a year after the 5 Series, while the X3 M won't be here until 2019, following the series X3 by about 2 years. The X4 M will arrive closer to the X4 release due to it being a "coupe" variant of the X3. We'll see what they do with the M8 - I am still expecting a year or so between it and the 8 Series.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #1251
SamS
Major General
SamS's Avatar
United_States
802
Rep
6,207
Posts

Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Irrespective of the LCI (and model years, which are really a US/Canada thing), the normal product cycle is seven years. And since the F22 started in 2014, it makes sense that it will go until 2021.
Not doubting this, but considering the F22/F23 are heavily based on the F20, they are going to be on a really old chassis by the time 2021 comes around. The F20 was first launched in 2011.
__________________
2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance - current
2018 X3 M40i - current
2016 M3 - sold
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 - sold
2012 M3 coupe - sold
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #1252
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5553
Rep
18,501
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Not doubting this, but considering the F22/F23 are heavily based on the F20, they are going to be on a really old chassis by the time 2021 comes around. The F20 was first launched in 2011.
Yep. This is just as it was with the E82/E88 compared to the E81/E87. Also very similar (but on a tighter schedule, sure) to the E92/E93 as compared to the E90/E91, and what will also be for the F32/F33 compared F30/F31.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #1253
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
4194
Rep
5,580
Posts

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
On friday? What happens on friday?
Mardigras.
Attached Images
 
__________________
The M850i is evidence that BMW have got their mojo back when it comes to dynamic sports cars...
Appreciate 2
mkoesel5552.50
lemetier1265.50

      08-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #1254
matbl
Second Lieutenant
37
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: G31
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Mardigras.
In september? Nah... ☺
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
future bmw, release date, upcoming bmw

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST