BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

07-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #45
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon View Post
I'm sorry, what is HUD?
Heads Up Display. On the windshield it displays speed and other items.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #46
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon View Post
I'm sorry, what is HUD?
Head-Up Display
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #47
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

Posted a seperate thread but thought it worth listing here too, my car has a strange glitch where the Z4 M40i logo won't show on the instrument cluster in certain modes - https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1636339
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:02 AM   #48
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Another small issue : currently weather is very hot here, and this morning when I open the rooftop, 2 small rubber seal stay stuck on the metal bar at the top of the windshield. Was able to put them back in place but it needs to not open or close the rooftop completely for this.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #49
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju86 View Post
Another small issue : currently weather is very hot here, and this morning when I open the rooftop, 2 small rubber seal stay stuck on the metal bar at the top of the windshield. Was able to put them back in place but it needs to not open or close the rooftop completely for this.
Mine did this within the first 300 miles give or take? I just left them off. Haven't had any issues with it opening or closing, but I mentioned it to the dealership. They said they could be there for vibration resistance but weren't sure what the purpose of them were. Haven't heard any vibrations or anything since they come off. I think they are for cushioning the contact on the top when it's closing because I do notice that it seems to make a little metal/metal sound when closing. I'm bringing my car in for service Tuesday so I'll have them put back in then.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #50
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For the past week, but car will go into a minimal limp mode it seems when doing agressive driving. Quick accelerations, hard turns, etc. Seems like it's related to the wheel slip differential or something.

Basically what it does is this:
Accelerate hard, hit about 40ish and then it shows on the dash "Continue driving possible: Chassis" and then it takes it out of traction and won't let you go back into traction mode (pressing the DSC button once). The fix is to turn the car off, open door and close, then start the car again and the error is gone.

Connected the car to a scanner and it doesn't find any codes because it's not a CEL error, it's a system error of some sort. I have an appointment for Tuesday morning so we'll see what they say. It's easily replicated every time, although a few times it would just come up when driving down the highway for 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #51
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Mine did this within the first 300 miles give or take? I just left them off. Haven't had any issues with it opening or closing, but I mentioned it to the dealership. They said they could be there for vibration resistance but weren't sure what the purpose of them were. Haven't heard any vibrations or anything since they come off. I think they are for cushioning the contact on the top when it's closing because I do notice that it seems to make a little metal/metal sound when closing. I'm bringing my car in for service Tuesday so I'll have them put back in then.
Ok thanks for your reply. Please tell me if you or your dealership put them back.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #52
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
At service right now. The chassis malfunction issue was due to the back passenger side ride height sensor bracket/clip. Guess when I had it on the dyno to see about the jb4, the technician must've looped the bracket with the LCA and broke it when strapping down the car. It's being replaced under warranty.

He's also putting the rubber stops back in. Said he wasn't sure what their purpose was other than possible strike protection for the top as it comes up so it's not making hard contact. Basically without them the top hits the strike plate making metal on metal sound. With these it's quieter because they're rubber to cushion the contact.

Also found out there's an open recall on the DME for reprogramming. Takes a few hours to do so I setup a separate appt for that to be done, but the shop foreman took it upon himself to do it now while it's in >.< so I've been sitting here for 3 hours now and counting
2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #53
Josh65
FWTX Z4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 Sdrive 30i (G29)

Upholstery problem

I've had my Zed for 3 months and I do love it. It does have a lot of bugs - all mentioned here (wireless charge, key fob battery problems, CarPlay wonkyness, etc.).

I've also started having a major upholstery problem. The side bolster on the driver's seat is starting to wear - just from getting in and out of the car. I'm a small guy, but my clothes rubbing on the side bolster are already wearing the leather off. It's disappointing that this is happening so quickly. I'll have the dealer take a look, but I'm afraid this is going to be on ongoing problem. I've started putting my hand against the seat before I sit to try and protect the leather from being rubbed. It's a beautiful car and I hope to keep it that way!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #54
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWz4

I am new to the thread and have seen every video and read every article on the z4 I finally reached the time in my life that I can get a roadster I currently own a 30 yr old Toyota pick up After a lot of research the z4 feels like the right fit. Other considerations boxster. ftype. I have been saving for 4 yrs and this will be the best car I have ever owned. With that said u guys are making me very nervous with this gremlin thread it will kill me to spend this kind of money and have the car in the shop
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #55
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoggi View Post
I am new to the thread and have seen every video and read every article on the z4 I finally reached the time in my life that I can get a roadster I currently own a 30 yr old Toyota pick up After a lot of research the z4 feels like the right fit. Other considerations boxster. ftype. I have been saving for 4 yrs and this will be the best car I have ever owned. With that said u guys are making me very nervous with this gremlin thread it will kill me to spend this kind of money and have the car in the shop
There will always be some issues with cars - especially in the first production year. Thankfully, most issues here are software related and will eventually get sorted out. So no sweat! I just finished my first 1,000 miles in the M40i and it is such a joy to drive!
Attached Images

07-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #56
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have decided to order a sf red m 40 closer to Jan and do a pick up at the performance center in sc Hopefully a lot of these glitches are taken care of. Your car looks awesome by the way
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 06:47 AM   #57
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Like German1967 said, there's grimlins with every car, particularly within the first production year. Also mentioned, they are mostly software glitches, albeit very minor ones that not everyone seems to have (primarily because we all interface with the car at different levels such as carplay, just BT, no phone connectivity at all, etc.). However, everything within this thread is so minor that it won't affect your driving experience of the car, or it was caused by someone else (my sensor clip being broken for example was from the Dyno technician strapping the car down and not ensuring the strap wasn't snagging anything).

I'll also add that I bought a first year production m240i (2017 model, picked up September 2016). With that, I had the turbo replaced within the first 1500 miles, a coolant line rupture (because the tech who changed the turbo didn't resecure the hose) and a clicking noise in the front driverside wheel hub that turned into a recall and a spacer had to be installed in the hub. So far, I'm at 6500 miles in my Z4 and there have been no major issue REQUIRING service.

The DME recall that they did for me yesterday is not isolated to the z4 either. They did the update on my wife's 2019 X3 m40i when it was in for an oil change a month ago (give or take). I think this is a recall hitting multiple vehicles with the B58 DME and I have no idea what the update was meant to fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:58 AM   #58
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
There will always be some issues with cars - especially in the first production year. Thankfully, most issues here are software related and will eventually get sorted out. So no sweat! I just finished my first 1,000 miles in the M40i and it is such a joy to drive!
Nice to see someone else with the same setup as mine. Moonlight top, SFR, black wheels. Did you get the black interior as well?

One thing I highly recommend is tinting the windows, makes the car stand out more I feel. Went with Llumar CTX30 on the front side windows and CTX15 on the back window with a clear CTX film on the front windshield to help combat the heat here in Florida. But the darker windows is magnificent with your color setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #59
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
1) as mentioned, all cars have issues and reading these kinds of threads will convince you that there are far more problems than there actually are. You need to take anything you read with a grain of salt; not because the issues aren't real but because you can get the erroneous impression that they are far more common than they really are. I almost didn't join a forum for the Z4 after my time on a Jaguar forum had me thinking my F type was about to self destruct at any moment! LOL

2) All the issues mentioned so far are relatively minor IMO and almost all are software related.

3) I'ver owned an F type and the Boxter S was my primary competitor when shopping for a replacement. While my F type experience was good, they have issues like any car but I'd bet that the Z4 will be a bit better in that regard. The Boxster is a great car......but to get a decently equipped one with most of the goodies my Z4 has will cost you a LOT more money.....34% more in the case of the two I looked at. I like the Boxster but if money is of any consideration at all, the Z4 offers far superior value IMO.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #60
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dave ...I appreciate the insight...It makes me feel better...I have been researching the car I want to buy for over 2 yrs this will be my dream car. I have looked and researched many... corvette (too flashy and can’t get over the fact it’s still a Chevy)f type ( not many dealers around here and at the price point I do not want the 4 cylinder) boxster ( as u mentioned I heard the extras cost way too much plus I heard the cost of repairs were crazy) I was happy that the z4 came out ...seems to be the better fit....what’s interesting( I live in northern n.j.) I have yet to see one on the road. I am on the roads due to my job on average 4-6 hrs a day I see a lot of corvettes some boxsters and a few ftypes. I am still waiting for my first z 4 sighting. This will be my retirement fun car and honestly I can’t wait to buy it
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
      07-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #61
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice to see someone else with the same setup as mine. Moonlight top, SFR, black wheels. Did you get the black interior as well?

One thing I highly recommend is tinting the windows, makes the car stand out more I feel. Went with Llumar CTX30 on the front side windows and CTX15 on the back window with a clear CTX film on the front windshield to help combat the heat here in Florida. But the darker windows is magnificent with your color setup.
I have the Cognac Interior. I wanted some more light inside given the already relatively smaller cabin, but black would have been my second choice. Originally, I was a bit concerned that Cognac would look too orange in sunlight - but it looks great.

I really like SFR and its different shades in different lighting. Of course, everybody has their own preferences, but in my eyes a sports car / roadster has to be RED!
Attached Images

07-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #62
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Quote:
Dave ...I appreciate the insight...It makes me feel better...I have been researching the car I want to buy for over 2 yrs this will be my dream car. I have looked and researched many... corvette (too flashy and can’t get over the fact it’s still a Chevy)f type ( not many dealers around here and at the price point I do not want the 4 cylinder) boxster ( as u mentioned I heard the extras cost way too much plus I heard the cost of repairs were crazy) I was happy that the z4 came out ...seems to be the better fit....what’s interesting( I live in northern n.j.) I have yet to see one on the road. I am on the roads due to my job on average 4-6 hrs a day I see a lot of corvettes some boxsters and a few ftypes. I am still waiting for my first z 4 sighting. This will be my retirement fun car and honestly I can’t wait to buy it
Sounds like the perfect retirement gift to self! Enjoy the new car and always great to see people who are excited about their upcoming car! (put me in that camp too!)...and that SF red is amazing - first one I saw in the flesh at the dealer was that very color.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #63
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like German1967 said, there's grimlins with every car, particularly within the first production year. Also mentioned, they are mostly software glitches, albeit very minor ones that not everyone seems to have (primarily because we all interface with the car at different levels such as carplay, just BT, no phone connectivity at all, etc.). However, everything within this thread is so minor that it won't affect your driving experience of the car, or it was caused by someone else (my sensor clip being broken for example was from the Dyno technician strapping the car down and not ensuring the strap wasn't snagging anything).

I'll also add that I bought a first year production m240i (2017 model, picked up September 2016). With that, I had the turbo replaced within the first 1500 miles, a coolant line rupture (because the tech who changed the turbo didn't resecure the hose) and a clicking noise in the front driverside wheel hub that turned into a recall and a spacer had to be installed in the hub. So far, I'm at 6500 miles in my Z4 and there have been no major issue REQUIRING service.

The DME recall that they did for me yesterday is not isolated to the z4 either. They did the update on my wife's 2019 X3 m40i when it was in for an oil change a month ago (give or take). I think this is a recall hitting multiple vehicles with the B58 DME and I have no idea what the update was meant to fix.
Mine is also scheduled for a programming recall next week. Hopefully no negative impacts on the sound...
      08-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #64
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine is also scheduled for a programming recall next week. Hopefully no negative impacts on the sound...
Nothing to report here sounds the same to me. Same pickup so no idea what the programming is for
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #65
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
I got my recall programming carried out yesterday (DME plus July 2019 version software) and it took about 3 hours. My car does sound a little louder and my fuel consumption seems a little bit better. Only done about 50 miles since it was updated, so I will keep an eye on it and feed back anything else that I discover after I drive a few more miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #66
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I switched off the settings to lock and unlock when approaching or leaving the vicinity of the car. The headlights still come on sometimes when I get near the car when it is locked. I think it might have something to do with the key going to sleep after about 30 seconds. If you then lift the key and go near the car the headlights sometimes, not always, light up.
Very strange, still trying to understand the logic.
I discovered the other day that there is a setting in “External Lighting” under the heading “Comfort” (in RED text) for Welcome and goodbye. If you untick the box, the headlights no longer come on when you approach the car with the key in your possession.
Appreciate 1