BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum sDrive30i w/ ZMP M Sport Option

01-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
sDrive30i w/ ZMP M Sport Option

I've built a number of iterations of the sDrive30i with the M Sport option in the Configurator and the pictures of the exterior show a metal trim surround on the kidney air-intakes. I want to make sure I avoid ordering the car with the black trim.

1. Anyone with a sDrive30i with the M Sport - does it have the bright metal around the kidneys? Is it the same trim that comes with the base model sDrive30i?

2. Anyone - what option do I need to avoid to ensure I don't get the black trim?

I like some shiny bling on my cars and want the front kidney surrounds to look like they do in the BMW Build Your Own pictures. I'm wondering if the pictures don't really reflect the reality of my build.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
The black grill is part of the $300 Shadowline Package under options.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Pictures are not accurate.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #4
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The 30i grille & mirror caps change to black, exhaust tips to black chrome in the 360 exterior view on my computer when that option is checked.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
The black grill is part of the $300 Shadowline Package under options.
Thanks!

So it appears that if you order an M40i you have the choice between a grayish / flat silver grill or you can order the ZHO option and get a black grill?

And ordering the sDrive30i gets you a more chrome looking grill unless you select the ZHO option for a black grill.

Can anyone confirm that the standard (non ZHO) kidney grill surrounds are different colors between the M40i and the sDrive30i?

Obviously this won't affect my order, but it's going to be a long wait until I see the actual car and I'd like to imagine it as close to reality as possible. Thanks, again!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The color of the standard M40i trim is called Cerium. Exclusive to the model. The more silvery look is exclusive to the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Pictures are not accurate.
That's what I'm trying to determine. Where have you seen discrepancies?

The only thing I'm finding (if the non-ZHO option grills are chrome on the sDrive30i) is that blue brake calipers are listed as a standard feature of the M Sport option and I don't see painted calipers in the picture on the Configurator. I believe you have to order the Dynamic Handling package to get painted calipers (red or blue).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The color of the standard M40i trim is called Cerium. Exclusive to the model. The more silvery look is exclusive to the 30i.
Awesome! Thanks so much! That is exactly what I want.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post

The only thing I'm finding (if the non-ZHO option grills are chrome on the sDrive30i) is that blue brake calipers are listed as a standard feature of the M Sport option and I don't see painted calipers in the picture on the Configurator. I believe you have to order the Dynamic Handling package to get painted calipers (red or blue).

If you click on the arrow next to standard features, sport brakes are not listed. I believe you are correct about inclusion in the handling package. That's where they're listed (2NH/3M2) in the ordering guide. Choosing the option adds them to the 360 view on my computer.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #10
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I changed everything Cerium to black except the grille.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #11
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you click on the arrow next to standard features, sport brakes are not listed. I believe you are correct about inclusion in the handling package. That's where they're listed (2NH/3M2) in the ordering guide. Choosing the option adds them to the 360 view on my computer.
Yes, I see that now. They're listed on the M Sport option under "View More" but if you click that little arrow they're not listed in the fine print. Tricky!

I don't see the painted calipers in the 360 view for a sDrive30i with the M Sport option which is good because they aren't included.

Thanks very much for your help!
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6234.00
      01-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
1. Anyone with a sDrive30i with the M Sport - does it have the bright metal around the kidneys? Is it the same trim that comes with the base model sDrive30i?

2. Anyone - what option do I need to avoid to ensure I don't get the black trim?
1. Yes, the M-Sport package on 30i has a chrome kidney grille surround.

2. Avoid the shadowline package to not have black kidney grilles

I actually thought the all black grille looked cheap on my Glacier Silver G29, so I actually did a Frankenstein grille. I used the original chrome kidney grille insert with the silver slats between the diamonds combined with the gloss black frame of the shadowline grille. This looks much better IMO, as I hate chrome ... but wanted the grille to not look so cheap with the all black insert.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:25 AM   #13
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post

I actually thought the all black grille looked cheap on my Glacier Silver G29, so I actually did a Frankenstein grille. I used the original chrome kidney grille insert with the silver slats between the diamonds combined with the gloss black frame of the shadowline grille. This looks much better IMO, as I hate chrome ... but wanted the grille to not look so cheap with the all black insert.
I like your "after" better too with your Glacier Silver car. Very clean looking.

IMO, it really all depends on the color of your car. I think the brighter grille work really pops with a red car. Yet with the silver car it's kind of overkill. A black or blue car looks nice with the black grille but I would still want the chrome grille with a black car for contrast. Just my opinion...

Ultimately, all the Z4's look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #14
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:

Apparently so, which sucks. I started a thread on it here - https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1783192

The 30i ordering guide shows the red or blue calipers option so the info on the M Sport Package is wrong. But, when you build here's the description:

M Sport
Motorsport Form
$2,650
M Sport Features

Shadowline exterior trim
18" M Double-spoke ferric grey wheels
M steering wheel

Live Cockpit with Navigation
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers
M Sport seats for driver and front passenger
LED Headlights
8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by Mixitt; 01-05-2021 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #15
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post

I like your "after" better too with your Glacier Silver car. Very clean looking.

IMO, it really all depends on the color of your car. I think the brighter grille work really pops with a red car. Yet with the silver car it's kind of overkill. A black or blue car looks nice with the black grille but I would still want the chrome grille with a black car for contrast. Just my opinion...

Actually, I think the cerium grey grille doesn't look great with red on the M40i. Feels like many changed to black as their first mod (including myself). BMW didn't offer all black as an option in the first year in the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #16
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Actually, I think the cerium grey grille doesn't look great with red on the M40i. Feels like many changed to black as their first mod (including myself). BMW didn't offer all black as an option in the first year in the US.
I agree with you on the Cerium grille not really looking great with the S.F. red.

I played around on the Configurator extensively and my personal preference was for a chrome grille, body colored mirrors, round exhaust tips, 18" wheels and the M sport aero body. I could configure all those things in the sDrive30i and as the extra HP of the B58 would be wasted on me the lesser engine was desired too. BMW had me pegged as I could get all those things just the way I wanted. Signed the papers last Sunday and I'm in status 112 awaiting the move to 150.
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      01-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #17
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Dont like either silver

Im not a fan of the newer exaggerated grill styling on any of the newer BMW cars. As a result I ordered black. It makes the weird grille shape almost disappear which I like.

Quote:
I changed everything Cerium to black except the grille.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
Im not a fan of the newer exaggerated grill styling on any of the newer BMW cars. As a result I ordered black. It makes the weird grille shape almost disappear which I like.
I got BSM to make the roof almost disappear. I like our grill but
would've picked bars over mesh if that was an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #19
GeneticX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

That's what I did...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h83m1yHJdDTM35Td7
Appreciate 0