BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Advise on tyre star rating

01-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
JC121212
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Advise on tyre star rating

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if I can get some advise. My Z4 was taken in today due to a recall with track rod issues. However they have now said in order to do the work I need to get a full new set of tyres due to re alignment and suspension work. I know my back tyres are close to needing a change however the front have still a good couple of months in them easily.

They have mentioned I need a BMW star rated tyre and I was just wondering what options I have available? I know the PS and SS are star rated but didn't know if other brands where also ok?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Well, I don't know about BMW's ratings but the Michelin Pilot SuperSports on my M40i were a selling feature for me after the poor performing Pirelli P-Zero's on my Jaguar F type. I plan on replacing the Michelins with the same tire when the time comes.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC121212 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if I can get some advise. My Z4 was taken in today due to a recall with track rod issues. However they have now said in order to do the work I need to get a full new set of tyres due to re alignment and suspension work. I know my back tyres are close to needing a change however the front have still a good couple of months in them easily.

They have mentioned I need a BMW star rated tyre and I was just wondering what options I have available? I know the PS and SS are star rated but didn't know if other brands where also ok?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Are they picking up all or part of the cost of the tyres given the alignment problems resulting in premature tyre wear?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
JC121212
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
Are they picking up all or part of the cost of the tyres given the alignment problems resulting in premature tyre wear?
All, in total they have quoted me £1010 for the tyres. Which is why I asked for it back. Seems that even if i had of change my tyres and only been on for 3 months they would still be wanting them changed. Not sure if anyone else on here has had the recall?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:17 AM   #5
unstoppable66
Rep
Drives: BMW G29

Quote:
Quote:
All, in total they have quoted me £1010 for the tyres. Which is why I asked for it back. Seems that even if i had of change my tyres and only been on for 3 months they would still be wanting them changed. Not sure if anyone else on here has had the recall?
I just had a single rear tyre swapped with Black Circles for just over £200 so this seems expensive - you should push for some reduction as Combatcrew2 says.
I had the recall work done last year, my tires were older but the dealer was not requiring me to get them changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppable66 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I just had a single rear tyre swapped with Black Circles for just over £200 so this seems expensive - you should push for some reduction as Combatcrew2 says.
I had the recall work done last year, my tires were older but the dealer was not requiring me to get them changed.
What's a Tyre?
Appreciate 0