BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Got a new Z4! Great car, disastrous sound, phone overheating....

09-15-2021, 03:45 AM   #23
RemyH
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ressu82 View Post
Hi guys!
I´m new at the Forum, and I just got my new Z4 (g29), frozen gray, s30i.
I love the car, but i am disapointed in three aspects, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out:

1- Sound system is Harman Kardon but is the worst I have ever seen on
a BMW. IS it easy to upgrade? Any experience on the matter?

2- The phone heating is a serious problem. Any accessorie ou
aftermarket parts that can help with this? I have a IphoneX from

3- The hand graber from the door is very very hard. I use to rest my
knee while I´m driving and after few minutes it hurts. Any
experience on this?

Thank U so much and drive safe!
The phone overheating is in my opinion not a bmw problem, but an iPhone problem. The iPhone should limit the power given by the wireless system. Compare it to a high power usb adaptor; a well designed system will only use the power it needs.

The iPhone seems to act like a dog; always hungry.
Appreciate 5
Kwajtrader1087.50
Amadeo391.50
CJ4211559.00
DM6185.00
      09-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #24
Daklow
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 M40i Frozen Gray

Wife just taken delivery of new m40i and exactly the same 3 issues. HK is terrible its absolutely ridiculously crap sounding. This is not the first bmw we have or had but system is unforgivable.

Upgrade audison do the correct stuff to change the amps and speakers using same head unit.

Door handle also experience this against knee cap.

My phone is also seriously over heating on wireless charger pad. Samsung s z 21 ultra
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #25
getbfuller
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall0n View Post
Before I had my current Z4, I had a Harley Davidson Ultra Glide with a subwoofer and 4 surround sound speakers. It sounded great standing still, but as soon as I started moving, the bass went away and it sounded "tinny".

I eventually learned that the movement of air, whether on a motorcycle or in my Z4 with the top down, will drastically change how the speakers sound.

A great scientific article that describes this can be found at:
https://sciencing.com/effect-wind-so...ion-23531.html

My Z4 sounds great with the top up at most any speed. However, with the top down, it starts to get "tinny" just like my motorcycle did.
I agree. This is a lot like my HD Street Glide. Sounds amazing sitting still not so great at highway speeds. After doing some sound tweaking my Z4 is pretty good but not great. I do have the HK upgrade. My GMC has a factory Bose system and it sounds much better than my HK in the Z4. Of all my different vehicles my Z4 is by far my favorite. So the feeling I get while driving it overshadows the so so sound system. My advice as far as the sound system goes is teak the settings and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 05:14 AM   #26
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i (2022)

I just finished a full audio upgrade on a Z4 M40i with HK. I also did my previous S30i without HK before this car. Shoot me message if you want me to talk you through it.

Replaced all speakers (front door woofer and tweeters, center woofer and tweeter, rear woofers and tweeters, and mid bass speakers in the rear), added a DPS and amp for the front ,center and rear, an additional amp for the mid bass speakers, and sub, and installed a compact(ish) 10" sub in the trunk.

The difference is night and day, but it's quite a bit of work. It's all totally reversible back to stock. the wiring is done via a harness that sits between the original harness and the DSP, the DSP then feeds the amps, which routes the sound back into the harness to the speakers.

You also need to code out the ASD using the bimmercode or bimmerlink app, as the new system will amplify it to an annoying level. This is totally reversible too.

Last edited by auditorycanvas; 09-15-2022 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #27
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auditorycanvas View Post
I just finished a full audio upgrade on a Z4 M40i with HK. I also did my previous S30i without HK before this car.
Would love to know your thoughts/opinions about the standard audio vs. the HK (both without upgrades).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #28
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
No issues with the "hand grabber". Phone over heated twice since Mar 2020. Did not get the charger in the M4C, don't miss it when in that car.

Not big on the radio issues, listen mostly to oldies and ride with the roof down. One thing you can do to improve the system if you don't want to replace hardware is upgrade the HK to B&W by coding with Bimmer code. Adds a number of additional choices like theater, concert etc.

Might find a setting thats a little better than the HK choices.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      09-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #29
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Recently I added noise insulation to my Winnebago View RV. Number 1 complaint on these is the road noise as this is a fully loaded truck, and I would agree as the noise level was around 74dB on cement at 70 MPH as received new. To try and reduce the noise, I have added Hushmat throughout the cab and underside. The installation has reduced the sound in the cab to more reasonable 67dB at 70MPH (as measured on the same road as above). An interesting side effect was the substantially improved sound quality from the basic standard sound system! I don't mean just a small improvement, but it sounds like I installed all new vastly improved speakers! So why did this happen? Partially may be due to not having to turn up the sound system louder however, the main difference is the mat has absorbed the sound wave from the back of the speaker, so instead of a reflecting signal from the body causing a break in the sound wave (distortion), the sound was crisper and cleaner! Point here is, I would not be surprised if this same product installed behind the speakers would improve the overall sound as I experienced. The kit is rather inexpensive. Check it out at Hushmat

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #30
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Would love to know your thoughts/opinions about the standard audio vs. the HK (both without upgrades).
Bit of a mixed bag in my opinion. There's very little difference in speaker quality, they're both relatively low quality. I would argue the standard system tweeters are better than the HK ones as the HK uses aluminum dome tweeters which can get sibilant and harsh at higher volumes.

The HK mid bass speakers in the lower rear partition are better quality, and benefit from being driven by the booster amp, but they made an odd choice in using 8 ohm speakers, and the amp doesn't run stable driving 4 or 2 ohm speakers.

They don't crap out playing a solid kick drum like the stock ones do, but they're still nowhere near what you would call subs.

The stock mid bass speakers are fine to keep if you do an audio upgrade and tune the dsp to only send mid bass to them between 70hz and 200hz, and use a proper sub for anything under 70hz.

The HK ones need to be replaced if you do an upgrade because of the 8ohm resistance, so swapping them out to 4 or 2 ohm enables the aftermarket amp to drive at the same volume across all speakers (all other speakers in the car are 4 ohms), unless you route the output for them from the DSP back to the stock HK booster to drive them.

The biggest benefit of the HK system is the DSP processing you get within the head unit. If you could code the standard system with the same DSP processing, it would sound a lot closer to the HK system.

I don't think it's worth the $875 upgrade. I got stuck with it as I got a dealer spec'd car, but if you can afford a little more, and are comfortable with some basic power wiring and panel removal, or can find a decent affordable installer, I think that $875 would be better spent towards an after market upgrade.

Both systems will sound better by just adding a DSP and amp combo unit like the Audiotech Fischer Helix V Eight, and sticking with the stock speakers, then adding a powered sub like the Audison APBX 10AS2 for decent bass, and tuning the mid bass speakers in the rear partition with a high pass filter around 70hz via the DSP.

Focal, Audison, and a few other brands do plug and play replacement speakers if you want to go a step further. The door speakers have a bit more flexibility if you wanted to use other speakers with mounting adapters instead of the plug and play ones, but the rear partition speaker brackets have no flexibility, so you're tied to the plug and play ones unless you want to craft custom mounts.

If you're in the US, The DSP/AMP and plug and play speakers are typically a lot cheaper if ordered from Europe (Focal and Audison speakers are about 50% cheaper, amp/DSP about 30% cheaper)

The upgrades aren't particularly difficult, just time consuming. The doors and center speakers are the easiest. The rear partition speakers need quite a few panels/trim pieces to be removed to get to them, though if you're only doing the top speakers, you don't need to remove as many panels.

The wiring harness is really easy to fit, and the power wiring is really straightforward due to being in the trunk near the RAM/Booster modules where you'd add aftermarket amp/sub.

I'd be happy to run anyone through what to get and install instructions if anyone wants to do any of the upgrades.
Appreciate 2
ZVier61.00
BMWGirlFL6275.50
      09-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #31
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Bit of a mixed bag in my opinion.
All info much appreciated!!! I'm reasonably content with the standard system and have been uncertain about my best choice for a future Z4. Think you've helped me understand why it's probably not HK.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 07:21 AM   #32
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Quote:
Bit of a mixed bag in my opinion.
All info much appreciated!!! I'm reasonably content with the standard system and have been uncertain about my best choice for a future Z4. Think you've helped me understand why it's probably not HK.
I test drove a Z4 without the HK system and played with the settings in that car. It was ok but not wonderful so I opted for the HK system and don't regret the additional $850 cost.

IMHO the source plays a major factor in the quality of what you are listening to. I have the HK system and mostly play music that I have downloaded from Apple Music or ripped from my old CD's using ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). Lossless compression preserves all of the original data.

After that it is a matter of tweaking the settings in the car to your liking. When the top is up the sound is crystal ear and when down it really depends on the speed that you are driving.
Appreciate 1
Christos188.50
      09-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #33
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

I’m of the camp that you are not going to get great sound out of an audio system at the retail level, even slapping ‘name brand’ components in. So, car manufacturers choose such a brand but their lowest end products. (For a convertible, that is).

The cost increase is significant to get ‘good’ sound. I, also have a Harley Davidson, and the stock speakers are barely adequate. Others have upgraded to the HD systems and while better, is still weak. You have to go aftermarket, spending several thousand to get decent sound on an ‘open’ vehicle. Audio content, however, plays a big part. Everyone’s ears and tastes are different.

I went for the HK system, as I usually go for the best a manufacturer offers, but very high quality audio is not a priority for me.

Luckily, there are audio upgrade options for the more discerning listener. I can’t believe what people spend on their gramophones at home!
      09-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #34
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

I'm skeptical that the music source matters all that much when driving. Ambient noise & the car audio system are almost always going to be the limiting factor.

In much quieter environments and wearing headphones - which produce the full range of what a human ear can perceive with much higher fidelity than any factory car audio system can manage - people often have trouble distinguishing between hi-def lossless and lower def lossy codecs recordings. Sometimes you have to listen for specific cues, and they're not always easy to hear even when you listen for them.

Everything I stream in the car is Amazon HD (so CD 16-bit/44khz minimum), but if my stream were switched to AAC (streams at 256kbps typically?) I am 100% convinced I'd not notice any difference. Same probably applies even with an obsolete codec like MP3 at 320kbps. Not going to notice any difference in the Z4 given the limitations of the car audio system and noise associated with driving.

Last edited by ebirotedu; 09-16-2022 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 04:19 AM   #35
Shubunkin
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i / A6 Allroad Twinturbo

I was so disapointed in the HK sound. Couldn't use any bass at all. Even complained to the dealer and they said "just turn the bass down, it's meant to be like that".

Anyhoo, took the back of the boot apart where the mid and bass speakers live. OMG it's horrible, every surface in there is designed to vibrate and either interfere or absorb bass energy. Who the heck designed this ? Even some component sitting a few mm from the left driver where it can vibrate against it.

Dynamat to the rescue (no I don't work for them - just very impressed). Pulled off the silly wool tacked onto the surfaces and covered it in Dynamat. So backs of speaker bins, back wall, front wall (weird T shape) top of boot (where the roof folds against). Glued wool back on top of dynamat. Then closed up.

Wow. Bass issues (practically) gone. Solid tight bass, slight overdrive still there but I dont' think I'll get that right without major building work. Can turn it up MUCH louder now before it distorts.

Tweeters seem really good, so I think it's just those mids and bass that's limiting it. I recommend getting in there with some anti vibro for the panels.

BTW. Here's what I followed to get into the enclosure: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar..._Z4_G29/en.php

Ended up looking like this (except you can't see the back wall and top here):
Name:  viber_image_2023-03-25_18-32-38-470.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  201.8 KB

Last edited by Shubunkin; 03-31-2023 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 5
Paragon-A191.50
CJ4211559.00
StanDiego6248.50
ebirotedu1458.50
      03-31-2023, 12:57 PM   #36
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Great post! I agree that bass is the worst aspect of the HK system. Every time I think I've decided I can live with it, I end up listening to a track that does not play well with the OEM woofers insofar as there's either a distinct lack of low frequency reproduction where I'm expecting to hear something, or excessive bass energy vibrating the trim & body.

It looks like you can access the factory woofers using the linked access instructions. Last year I emailed Bavsound several times asking them for Z4 specific instructions and they never responded. Perhaps now I'll feel energetic enough to consider an upgrade to Bavsound or Focal.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 03:35 PM   #37
Smudge10
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, MINI Cooper JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubunkin View Post

Wow. Bass issues (practically) gone. Solid tight bass, slight overdrive still there but I dont' think I'll get that right without major building work. Can turn it up MUCH louder now before it distorts.
Agree - great post! Since you had everything apart, did you consider upgrading the woofers themselves?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 05:08 PM   #38
Shubunkin
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i / A6 Allroad Twinturbo

Thanks Guys. That would have been be my next step before I had it apart. But now I know I had to get the enclosure better or any replacement speaker would be no better or even worse. If that didn't fix it I was considering replacing the amp with something that had fine equilizer tuning so I could dial out the fine frequencies that were causing the issue. However seems OK as it is for now. When I have more cash I might look to improve the amps.

Not sure how easy it is getting to the bass drivers. Those bins are really deeply embedded in the structure. A lot to remove. A bit of patience would do it. I read somewhere that you can take the rollover trims off and find some screws there that releases the front wall and the speakers can be accessed from the front of the bins. Might be a better way, but I think the enclosure and amps are the main things, the bass sounds pretty strong with the factory speakers. Also in my research, I see that the 2 subwoofers are driven from a separate amp, not sure of that has the same quality as the HK or if it even IS a HK part. Might be an idea just to replace that 2 channel booster sub amp. BTW, the amps are on the left side wall of the trunk so just remove the left trim the same way I did the right to get at the main HK amp and the sub booster.

Last edited by Shubunkin; 03-31-2023 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1458.50
      04-11-2023, 07:37 PM   #39
Jimmy C
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Hi Guys, I am from the UK, new to the group and just got my g29 2023 LC1 M40i with HK sound upgrade. I am sure my car does not have the ASD built in. At least there is no “engine sound” option in the car/ general settings menu. Tbh the audio sound is fine as long as dab radio or usb delivering the music. I found using Apple CarPlay confusing. At first I connected the iPhone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and found the sound poor and low volume. Added the usb cable and reconnected to CarPlay and sound dramatic improvement and much louder. That surprised me as thought CarPlay not viable using usb. Am I missing a trick with ASD, is it there and if so how can I find it in in the menu? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 07:41 PM   #40
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Congratulations on your new Z4! I love the Frozen Gray color

The two BMW's I've owned have both had wonderful dead pedals for your left foot. Extend your leg a bit and use the dead pedal in the Z4. My leg doesn't touch the door panel and I'm a six footer.
I keep forgetting how wonderful that dead pedal situation is for my long legs, but I remember it every time i bump into my leg with the steering wheel... bad habits are hard to change but then I remember this is a little roadster

Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 11:32 PM   #41
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Hi Guys, I am from the UK, new to the group and just got my g29 2023 LC1 M40i with HK sound upgrade. Am I missing a trick with ASD, is it there and if so how can I find it in in the menu? Cheers.
You'll need to use Bimmercode to disable it. Congrats on your new Zed.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2023, 03:42 AM   #42
Jimmy C
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Thank you she is fantastic, really love it! I had a 35is 11 years which was fast and fun but the new one is just wonderful.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 12:05 AM   #43
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:

Both systems will sound better by just adding a DSP and amp combo unit like the Audiotech Fischer Helix V Eight, and sticking with the stock speakers, then adding a powered sub like the Audison APBX 10AS2 for decent bass, and tuning the mid bass speakers in the rear partition with a high pass filter around 70hz via the DSP.

Focal, Audison, and a few other brands do plug and play replacement speakers if you want to go a step further. The door speakers have a bit more flexibility if you wanted to use other speakers with mounting adapters instead of the plug and play ones, but the rear partition speaker brackets have no flexibility, so you're tied to the plug and play ones unless you want to craft custom mounts.

If you're in the US, The DSP/AMP and plug and play speakers are typically a lot cheaper if ordered from Europe (Focal and Audison speakers are about 50% cheaper, amp/DSP about 30% cheaper)

The upgrades aren't particularly difficult, just time consuming. The doors and center speakers are the easiest. The rear partition speakers need quite a few panels/trim pieces to be removed to get to them, though if you're only doing the top speakers, you don't need to remove as many panels.

The wiring harness is really easy to fit, and the power wiring is really straightforward due to being in the trunk near the RAM/Booster modules where you'd add aftermarket amp/sub.

I'd be happy to run anyone through what to get and install instructions if anyone wants to do any of the upgrades.
I just picked up my 2023 30i and I don't have the HK system and I find it anemic. I used to have a topless M4 and since I am local to Musicar NW, I had them do some upgrades, but it was around $5k in 2018, not sure what it would cost now. They used Morel speakers, Jennert's for the 8" mid bass speakers and we ended up with a JL Audio Powerwedge+ in between the cab and trunk area, but of course the Z4 is a different beast.

In any case, you mentioned that you could provide some recommendations. I came across this (ordering from Germany) and I am intrigued, but wondering if I should do with or without speakers and then go with Focal's (love them), but since the rear speakers don't have separate tweeters I am not sure what speakers to go with for the back. Also, does the center speaker need to be replaced when using the the Match8 amp/dsp?

Complete kit: https://www.carhifi-store-buende.de/...o-ram-sa676-z4

The amp/harness kit they are showing is for the HK system only - https://www.carhifi-store-buende.de/...8bmw-ram-hk-z4 -, but as far as I know, you should be able to purchase that as well or simply go with the one from Alpha-One. (just the amp) - https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...build-your-kit

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 12:24 AM   #44
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

I have HK and I also previously had one without. HK is very good in my opinion. I operate my HK at 60-75% volume of where the bone stock system I had was at 100% (playing SiriusXM). If you aren't satisfied with the HK, seriously, you are likely some kind of sadistic audiophile that will never be happy with a factory system. Drive your car straight from the dealer to Audio Xperts and drop 5k to get that booming bass where you want it. Problem solved.

Yes the phone overheats, but I found it is worse when it is in direct sunlight. When I cover it with the sliding cover or just leave it in my pocket and bluetooth it I have no issues usually.

I am 6'. I use the dead pedal thingy. I have no issues with the armrest causing me discomfort. I have a 12 hour road trip under my belt and have found no issues with comfort yet.

This car is frigging amazing and I would even venture to say perfect, given the power, comfort, MPG, and pure sex appeal. Nitpicking this automobile seems ridiculous to me. I have had my frozen gray M40i for two months and I can say I never had a head turner like this before in my life. I've actually witnessed grown men and women stop dead in their tracks to watch me drive by.
-One happy BMW customer
crz4859.50
UNCM2334.50