BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Order delays?

09-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #23
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Are you guys not watching the news. Theres a global microchip crisis and BMW has been stopping production everywhere for weeks at a time until more ECUs arrive. Nothing to do with getting workers or COVID. Theres no way that the Z4 can avoid production delays between Aug and Dec. The plants are not even sure when their parts will show up so they certainly cant tell us when the car will be ready precisely. I would expect at least 1-2 weeks longer times to delivery. In addition there are huge global transport problems with ocean liners and the floods in the south from the hurricanes.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
Are you guys not watching the news. Theres a global microchip crisis and BMW has been stopping production everywhere for weeks at a time until more ECUs arrive. Nothing to do with getting workers or COVID. Theres no way that the Z4 can avoid production delays between Aug and Dec. The plants are not even sure when their parts will show up so they certainly cant tell us when the car will be ready precisely. I would expect at least 1-2 weeks longer times to delivery. In addition there are huge global transport problems with ocean liners and the floods in the south from the hurricanes.
We know about the chip shortage, that is not the issue. The fact that they are not updating the production status is the issue. I'm told, by the BMW Genius folks, that my car has been completed, but the portal still show it a Quality Check and the BMW Genius folks can't tell me the current status of my car. If it was completed on 9/7, as they say, then it should be at the port waiting for a ship or even on a ship but they can't verify were it is now. I would really like to be able to track my car as it comes to me. Nothing to do with chips or even the length of time it is taking we just want BMW/plant to communicate with their customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #25
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Quote:
Of course we are aware of the shortages. Why else would I have started with stating I understand there are supply issues etc. As was said I just want to be told the truth even if the answer might be we have no idea. Just tell me and I will thank them for being honest and wait patiently like I am now for this and everything else I have to wait on for where I work as well. We are not upset just want to be kept in the loop ��

Last edited by mdoneinvt; 09-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #26
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoneinvt View Post
Of course we are aware of the shortages. Why else would I have started with stating I understand there are supply issues etc. As was said I just want to be told the truth even if the answer might be we have no idea. Just tell me and I will thank them for being honest and wait patiently like I am now for this and everything else I have to wait on for where I work as well. We are not upset just want to be kept in the loop ��
I recall going through the exact same thing and sentiment. All I can suggest is being patient and maybe paying yourself that upcoming car payment to ensure you can pay off other debt or get something you want. Your patience will be rewarded, especially with the M40 model.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #27
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

The BMW USA people have no idea

The plants themselves don't even know when your cars will be complete. Thats what I was trying to say. Im hearing that many cars are being run down the line and then parked in the plant lot awaiting the rest of the microchip ECUs. The BMW customer order tracking system isn't set up to handle this kind of uncertainty. Thats why BMW cant tell u precisely when your car will be finished, shipped or here. The industry has never seen this kind of issue. Best they can tell you I bet is when the car gets loaded on the boat. Then the boat delays start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
We know about the chip shortage, that is not the issue. The fact that they are not updating the production status is the issue. I'm told, by the BMW Genius folks, that my car has been completed, but the portal still show it a Quality Check and the BMW Genius folks can't tell me the current status of my car. If it was completed on 9/7, as they say, then it should be at the port waiting for a ship or even on a ship but they can't verify were it is now. I would really like to be able to track my car as it comes to me. Nothing to do with chips or even the length of time it is taking we just want BMW/plant to communicate with their customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #28
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The plants themselves don't even know when your cars will be complete. Thats what I was trying to say. Im hearing that many cars are being run down the line and then parked in the plant lot awaiting the rest of the microchip ECUs. The BMW customer order tracking system isn't set up to handle this kind of uncertainty. Thats why BMW cant tell u precisely when your car will be finished, shipped or here. The industry has never seen this kind of issue. Best they can tell you I bet is when the car gets loaded on the boat. Then the boat delays start.
If the car is parked waiting for a part, then the BMW Genius people should be able to tell us even if they don't have that feature build into the portal. My SA told me that if something slows down the build the dealer will be notified and my SA has not been notified that the build has been slowed down or stopped.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #29
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep

So mine has now moved into quality check. What a great way to end a not so great day at work. Now we just wait and see how long before it gets on a boat.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 08:38 PM   #30
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It looks like most people stay in quality check for less than 24 hours. I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours moves on to Final Assembly by Monday.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #31
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well the site was down over the weekend but just got fixed a little while ago. Mine is now awaiting carrier assignment so it should be on the dock for the next boat soon. More and more excited each day.
Appreciate 2
Horseman4131.50
      09-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #32
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Well the site was down over the weekend but just got fixed a little while ago. Mine is now awaiting carrier assignment so it should be on the dock for the next boat soon. More and more excited each day.
It is very exciting! If you're anything like me, it was soooo hard to contain! You can also check schedule to get an idea of about when yours should be on a boat.

http://www.klineglobalroro.com/schedules.html
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #33
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
AND once you find out which boat your car is on, you can track it going across the pond with
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:25.0/zoom:4
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #34
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Everyone's OCD should be sated now.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #35
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Everyone's OCD should be sated now.
That's easy for you to say. When my Z4 was being trucked to Florida from a dealer in PA I drove my salesman crazy asking for status reports.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #36
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
That's easy for you to say. When my Z4 was being trucked to Florida from a dealer in PA I drove my salesman crazy asking for status reports.
Well, most of us have been there. And recently. Folks like TAZ007 had his car sitting at a port for a few weeks because of missing parts.

Several of the more active folks had their cars built and delivered within the last few months, so we like to pass on the info that helped us make the wait a little more bearable.
Appreciate 2
TAZ0071846.50
      09-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #37
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
It is very exciting! If you're anything like me, it was soooo hard to contain! You can also check schedule to get an idea of about when yours should be on a boat.

http://www.klineglobalroro.com/schedules.html
So none of those look like they go to New Jersey port does that mean I won’t see my car until next year or am I missing something? Maybe they will send to a different port and truck it up to Vermont? Guess I will find out once it arrives…lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #38
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So none of those look like they go to New Jersey port does that mean I won’t see my car until next year or am I missing something? Maybe they will send to a different port and truck it up to Vermont? Guess I will find out once it arrives…lol
They may not go to Jersey. It'll likely go to South Carolina and then get on a truck and transported to Jersey from there.

Same with Washington State... unfortunately it gets delivered to South Cali and then driven on a truck up the coast.

I got lucky in the sense that one of the ports is Galveston and it's only 3 hours away. :P
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #39
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have been told that your dealer will be notified of which ship your car is assigned. I was just told by the Genius folks that my car completed assembly on 9/6 and I still can't find out if it has made it to port or been assigned to a ship. Hope your dealer has better luck finding out which ship your car is on.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #40
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
They may not go to Jersey. It'll likely go to South Carolina and then get on a truck and transported to Jersey from there.

Same with Washington State... unfortunately it gets delivered to South Cali and then driven on a truck up the coast.

I got lucky in the sense that one of the ports is Galveston and it's only 3 hours away. :P
But that makes an easier decision for me as I was considering going to South Carolina and picking it up there and driving it home. Would make for a great break in road trip up the coastal roads. Could even buzz up the blue ridge parkway on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #41
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
But that makes an easier decision for me as I was considering going to South Carolina and picking it up there and driving it home. Would make for a great break in road trip up the coastal roads. Could even buzz up the blue ridge parkway on the way home.
Sounds like a great road trip. If you do it be sure to take lots of photos.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #42
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
See if you cannot still do the performance center delivery. Enjoy the track day in a like car and get a couple of free meals outa it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #43
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah PDC would be pretty cool, but the drive home might SUUUCK if you were looking at doing PPF and/or ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #44
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
See if you cannot still do the performance center delivery. Enjoy the track day in a like car and get a couple of free meals outa it.
Well I noticed on the ships the port of Baltimore I assumed Maryland. I was right there is a brand new BMW vehicle distribution center that opened in September so that explains why the New Jersey port is no longer being stopped at.
Appreciate 0