BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Road Noise - Issue? Tires? Winter Tire expectations?

09-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
patriotsfan
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Road Noise - Issue? Tires? Winter Tire expectations?

Owner of a new G29 Z4 M40i here.

Getting settled into week 2 of ownerships, about the time that I start to notice a cars faults, for which this has a few.

The primary item I am curious about however is Road Noise. Most reviews seemed to focus on the soft top as a noise concern, but most reviews also indicated that it wasn't really an issue. This I agree with.

What is somewhat surprising to me, after taking a small road trip over many different pavement types, is just how bad the road noise can be in this car - and that seems to be completely unrelated to the soft top nature of this car.

I would place the blame on the tires - but I've spent some time in an M2 Competition with even wider Michelin PSS tires and that fared better with road noise than the Z4... despite being a 2 series and a cheaper car overall. Overall the road noise is perhaps similar to Civic Type R I was in a couple years ago. That cars road noise was a function of being a Civic & having tires that are perhaps even a bit stickier than the PSS' on the Z4.

I'm assuming this is normal for the G29, just disappointed is all.

Does anyone have any experience with winter tires on their Z4 with regards to road noise? I'm a bit concerned at the moment that the cabin may become an unwelcoming place once the new shoes go on later this year.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Congrats on your new roadster.

Can't provide an answer on snow tires, though I recall seeing it in another thread. As far as road noise is concerned, it is what it is with a vert. I have nearly 1000 miles on mine and barely notice the tire noise. But traffic seems to come through load and clear and that is what the radio is for.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsfan View Post
Owner of a new G29 Z4 M40i here.

Getting settled into week 2 of ownerships, about the time that I start to notice a cars faults, for which this has a few.

The primary item I am curious about however is Road Noise.
What are you comparing it to? It's a sports car and not designed to have a quiet interior. Another reason why I'd didn't upgrade the sound system, I knew what I was getting into. In fact, I find listening to music while cruising top down at say.....60 mph + is "moot".

I think BMW has done a great job with this hot rod regarding how quiet it is. I can cruise top down on a highway and still converse with a passenger without yelling.

If you want supremely quiet with great performance and utility to boot than get a X5 M50i.

When shopping for tires road noise is a big deal for me also.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Also depends on size of wheels. 19" wheels means less rubber means more road noise. Remember this is a sports car, not necessarily a comfort car. Not to mention, the idea behind a convertible is taht you're going to spend alot of time with the top down meaning lots of road noise. Most of the road noise I get when the top up is just from the tires themselves, not really noise from other cars around me.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
TBH only drive with the top up in the rain.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4128.50
      09-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
TBH only drive with the top up in the rain.
Same, or between 1200-1600 when the sun is in a terrible spot and it's triple digits. 98 degrees is my threshold, especially since SA spends alot of time in bumper to bumper baking in that sun lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

86F on a sunny day and the top goes up. Cloudy days, I can go longer.

I'm just one of those cool wimps that loves my A/C comforts.
Appreciate 2
Horseman4128.50
      09-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
patriotsfan I'm surprised to read you think the road noise is bad, though I guess it depends on what car you came from. I want to say this Z4 w/ 19" PSS is quieter than my '17 340i was with 19" PS4s. If the Z4 were much quieter I'd have some trouble staying awake on long trips.

Charles
      09-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
86F on a sunny day and the top goes up. Cloudy days, I can go longer.

I'm just one of those cool wimps that loves my A/C comforts.
Don’t get me wrong with the top down I am still using that A/C. Otherwise I’d stick to my seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsfan View Post
The primary item I am curious about however is Road Noise. Most reviews seemed to focus on the soft top as a noise concern, but most reviews also indicated that it wasn't really an issue. This I agree with.

What is somewhat surprising to me, after taking a small road trip over many different pavement types, is just how bad the road noise can be in this car - and that seems to be completely unrelated to the soft top nature of this car.

Does anyone have any experience with winter tires on their Z4 with regards to road noise? I'm a bit concerned at the moment that the cabin may become an unwelcoming place once the new shoes go on later this year.
Just got back from a long journey with 18" Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season tires and I am very happy with the low tire noise and good comfort. I had a couple of 13+ hour drives along the way and as these long drives were interstate driving the top was up for much of the time making the cabin reasonably quiet and very tolerable. There is no question that traffic noise comes through the window areas of the car into the passenger compartment and at first it's a little annoying, but after a while it just fades from consciousness.

On the back roads the top was down and Sport mode engaged and the radio off so that I could soak up the wonderful engine / exhaust roar. Never once thought the tires were making any sound at all (no squeals of impending traction loss either).

I would definitely recommend looking into the Michelin All-Seasons for your winter driving as long as you stay off the roads in heavy snow.
Appreciate 2
Mixitt372.00
      10-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #11
patriotsfan
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
patriotsfan I'm surprised to read you think the road noise is bad, though I guess it depends on what car you came from. I want to say this Z4 w/ 19" PSS is quieter than my '17 340i was with 19" PS4s. If the Z4 were much quieter I'd have some trouble staying awake on long trips.

Charles
My general impression is that the road noise (entirely from the rear/trunk space end) is on par with (maybe slightly worse) than an M2 Competition I was in recently (Also on 19 PSS, although wider).

It was firmly in a different class (worse) than a 2020 330xi with 19 all season run flats, and maybe a hair better than the Civic Type R with Continental 20s. The Type R road noise came heavily from the front wheel-wells however so comparison is a little difficult.

The only reason I created this topic is how at odds it seems with the rest of the vehicle. The front end seems extremely well insulated from Road noise - I also have no problem or complaints about sound through the soft top - and by far the dominating sound factor on any drive above 20-25mph is the road noise from the center rear.
Appreciate 0