BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Connected Drive Issues

11-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Connected Drive Issues

Seems that Connected Drive communications between my car and app are no longer functioning. Phone app seems to be working find, but any request sent to car will receive an error message. Have uninstalled and re-installed the app a couple of times with no change. When logging into my Connected Drive account on PC, all looks well. Phone app shows 9/27/19 as the last status update.

Have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android version 8.0.0 and Sprint as a service provider. Had digital key registered months ago, but phone installation continues to fail with "Installation Error." Shared issue with BMW Genius and was told that they were addressing the problem and had escalated the issue, updating me once a week with same message. Have not heard anymore from them now for over a month.

Anyone else experiencing issues with Connected Drive, if so is there a know solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Yes, I had the same problem in the UK when my ConnectedDrive app did not work for more than a week. This was escalated to the app developers and the following was their solution, and it solved my problem.

"The issue you’re experiencing is a known problem affecting some of our customers. I would recommend to perform our temporary workaround which is to perform a Communication Unit Reset. You would need to:
- Ensure the vehicle’s engine is running
- Press and hold the volume button for 30 seconds until the display blackens.

This will then trigger a reset of the head unit, there are no side effects other than the cancellation of active navigation routing and the interruption of ongoing phone calls.

Once this is done I would recommend deleting and reinstalling the app, and then to perform a service update within your vehicle – this is to synchronise your BMW Connected app/ConnectedDrive account. Steps are below:

· Press ‘Menu’ button
· Click on ‘Apps’ or ‘ConnectedDrive’
· Click ‘Options’ button (next to your iDrive controller) Scroll & select ‘Update apps and services’ or ‘Update BMW Services’ click to update.

Please allow up to 24 hours for these changes to take effect. I hope this helps to rectify the issue, please inform me of the outcome so I can look at escalating this further. In the meantime if there’s anything else I can help with please get back in touch.

Kind regards

BMW Connected Drive"
Appreciate 2
ToysArs60.50
      11-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
After completing the recommendations shown in my previous post, the problem was resolved immediately and I did not have to wait the 24 hours that they said it might take for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Thanks for sharing that Jim. Unfortunately it still hasn’t fixed mine, which hasn’t updated for two weeks now.

No doubt BMW will eventually reply and tell me to go through all those steps again.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Check the G20 3 series and G05 X5 forums. You aren't alone. If the geniuses aren't able to fix for you, next time you take it in for service tell them you want it all working when car is returned to you. They'll sort it out.
      11-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Yes, I had the same problem in the UK when my ConnectedDrive app did not work for more than a week. This was escalated to the app developers and the following was their solution, and it solved my problem.

"The issue you’re experiencing is a known problem affecting some of our customers. I would recommend to perform our temporary workaround which is to perform a Communication Unit Reset. You would need to:

This will then trigger a reset of the head unit, there are no side effects other than the cancellation of active navigation routing and the interruption of ongoing phone calls.

Once this is done I would recommend deleting and reinstalling the app, and then to perform a service update within your vehicle – this is to synchronise your BMW Connected app/ConnectedDrive account. Steps are below:

· Press ‘Menu’ button
· Click ‘Options’ button (next to your iDrive controller) Scroll & select ‘Update apps and services’ or ‘Update BMW Services’ click to update.

Please allow up to 24 hours for these changes to take effect. I hope this helps to rectify the issue, please inform me of the outcome so I can look at escalating this further. In the meantime if there’s anything else I can help with please get back in touch.

Kind regards

BMW Connected Drive"
IT WORKED! Thank you, communications between car and app was re-established almost immediately. Still no luck with getting digital key to install, must be a service provider or phone issue,
Appreciate 1
Jim S385.00
      11-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

· Press ‘Menu’ button

Kind regards

BMW Connected Drive"
IT WORKED! Thank you, communications between car and app was re-established almost immediately. Still no luck with getting digital key to install, must be a service provider or phone issue,
Did it stay fixed? Mine updated once but it's now two trips behind again.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #8
Ross Z4M40i
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z40 M40i

Garage List
2019 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2023 BMW S 1000 XR  [0.00]
I had the same problem. A simple reset of the head unit to factory settings did the job. No problems since.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Did it stay fixed? Mine updated once but it's now two trips behind again.
So far, it's been updating over past two days.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So far, it's been updating over past two days.
Thanks, looks like mine is stuck again. I'll have to see what BMW come up with next.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Since the fix, my ConnectedDrive has been working fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
Ross Z4M40i
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z40 M40i

Garage List
2019 Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2023 BMW S 1000 XR  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Z4M40i View Post
I had the same problem. A simple reset of the head unit to factory settings did the job. No problems since.
Well, I apparently was too fast in stating the problems were solved by resetting. My iPhone now randomly disconnects from the headset, sometimes in the middle of a phone call 😰😫😡. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Z4M40i View Post
Well, I apparently was too fast in stating the problems were solved by resetting. My iPhone now randomly disconnects from the headset, sometimes in the middle of a phone call 😰😫😡. Anyone else experiencing the same?
I haven't come across that yet, but the whole connected drive thing is getting to be a pain.

I've reset the head unit three times, changed the app setting to always access location (don't see why you should have to but that's what they said), it worked for about a day and then stopped again.

How on Earth will autonomous cars ever work if they can't get simple stuff like this right???
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Mysteriously, everything is working again today after no further action on my part. So maybe it wasn't the car or the phone settings that were the problem
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #15
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

At the risk of being a bore, it's now stopped working again :

How's everyone else getting on?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #16
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
At the risk of being a bore, it's now stopped working again :

How's everyone else getting on?
Did the reset 2 weeks ago and have remained connected. Find that status does not update until there's some activity. I will periodically send a lock or unlock command to the car to make sure car is still connected.

Still unable to install digital key. Dealer registered a key for me in July and I successfully completed the first step on my phone. Phone shows that a digital key has been registered, but any attempt to install results in a "Installation Error." I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 8.0.0 and my service provider is Sprint. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #17
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did the reset 2 weeks ago and have remained connected. Find that status does not update until there's some activity. I will periodically send a lock or unlock command to the car to make sure car is still connected.

Still unable to install digital key. Dealer registered a key for me in July and I successfully completed the first step on my phone. Phone shows that a digital key has been registered, but any attempt to install results in a "Installation Error." I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 8.0.0 and my service provider is Sprint. Any thoughts?
After working with my Dealer, going back and forth with BMW Genius & Connected Drive Customer Support for the past 3 1/2 months, finally got an answer from BMW Genius that the digital key feature is currently restricted by Sprint.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for replying. Mine is now updating the app again, but lock/unlock always fails.

I haven't bothered with digital key but I see you've found the answer anyway.
Appreciate 0