BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Manhart GR 450 German-Tuned Toyota Supra!

05-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #23
sir harmony
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

I must still be stuck in the 90's, because I have nothing but absolute contempt for the new Supra.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #24
NytWolf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10, 2015 F30, 2008 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
Why was there a need for a new supra?
Because Toyota doesn't have a halo sports car.

Quote:
They let another auto maker re-create their halo car. Fail #1. They go with BMW which is far from toyota reliability, Fail #2. No manual transmisson, Fail #3. They make it look like a teenagers car, instead of something that would appeal to a 40+ year old man like the GTR, Fail #4.
Exactly! What exactly is a halo car? More on that later.

Reliability-wise, I think most cars nowadays are all pretty reliable with regular preventative maintenance. Cars have come a long ways. While there still are leaders in reliability, it's not as if Toyota doesn't have their major glitches. It's just that nobody ever talks about it. Ever drive behind a Toyota that has all rear lights working, then one light goes out when the driver applies the brakes? Ever drive behind another of the same model and see the same exact thing? Well, I have.

Toyota does make crap; it's just that when people talk about reliability, they tend to generalize. BMW isn't as reliable as Toyota, but how much so? BMW runs things on the upper end; Toyota is much more conservative in their tuning, so of course it's going to be longer lasting.

As far as design, like I've stated before, no Japanese car design language speaks to me. It's like they have a novice teenage designer that tried too hard, especially Toyota nowadays.

Now onto halo cars. What is a halo car supposed to be? A halo car is a showcase of a manufacturer's capabilities. Then those technologies trickle down into the rest of the lineup. To "collaborate" with another manufacturer to produce your halo car is Toyota's first fault. Second fault? Your halo car is someone else's roadster. How in the world does that kind of statement put Toyota? To me, it says BMW is worlds better than Toyota. If the Supra is the best Toyota can offer, what does that say about BMW when BMW has M cars. If I were Toyota, which I'm clearly not, I would have taken one of Toyota's M cars and make it the Supra. Clear fail on Toyota's supposed halo car.

Quote:
Everything about this car was a total failure.
Yep, except the part about choosing BMW.
Appreciate 0