BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Let's See Your House Projects!

03-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #287
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
bathroom, kitchen, basement?
"basement" lol..what's that? socal

it's the whole downstairs, entryway/den, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, family room.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #288
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
"basement" lol..what's that? socal

it's the whole downstairs, entryway/den, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, family room.
lol I forget Cali doesn't have basements. was really weird when I moved out from San Diego to Ohio and basements are pretty much in every house! it would make things easier if you didn't have to remove the tile. i'm assuming like the kitchen areas and batchrooms? guessing the other rooms have carpet? you could get transition pieces since there will be a height difference in the tiled areas. removing tiles on concrete is a PITA cause you'll have to make sure everything is perfectly flat. if it's all tile then I would just leave it and put the wood floor right on top...that is you put the underlayment first
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #289
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol I forget Cali doesn't have basements. was really weird when I moved out from San Diego to Ohio and basements are pretty much in every house! it would make things easier if you didn't have to remove the tile. i'm assuming like the kitchen areas and batchrooms? guessing the other rooms have carpet? you could get transition pieces since there will be a height difference in the tiled areas. removing tiles on concrete is a PITA cause you'll have to make sure everything is perfectly flat. if it's all tile then I would just leave it and put the wood floor right on top...that is you put the underlayment first
it's all tile, with various rugs so its pretty flat, seems like it "might" work but i'm going to have to see how much space i have for the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #290
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

How thick is the wood? Is it hardwood or engineered?
      03-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #291
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
How thick is the wood? Is it hardwood or engineered?
havent fully decided what to get yet
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #292
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it's all tile, with various rugs so its pretty flat, seems like it "might" work but i'm going to have to see how much space i have for the doors.
if you have the clearance i would leave the tile. there's quite a lot of YouTube videos of people installing hardwood over tiles. so as long as it's pretty level. some have even trimmed a bit on the doors to get the clearance needed which to the naked eye no one would know. good luck! oh, i would definitely remove the baseboards that way you can use your spacers against the wall to give you that required gap needed for the wood floor to expand and contract. i don't know if i read it but are you doing this yourself?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #293
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Is it ok to put wood flooring over ceramic tile?
Short answer is yes. With the usual caveat that the tile must be well adhered to the subfloor.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #294
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

currently working on the stairs. was able to get one of the box newels installed and reused the existing handrail. also had to sand down the existing treads that showed outlines on the side mouldings and painted them satin white. so far so good

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #295
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I hope you have that post secured with more than those two angle brackets, You should have at least 2 long lag bolt going into the stair stringers.

Quote:
currently working on the stairs. was able to get one of the box newels installed and reused the existing handrail. also had to sand down the existing treads that showed outlines on the side mouldings and painted them satin white. so far so good

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #296
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Is it ok to put wood flooring over ceramic tile?
i wouldnt.

lots of issues can arise from that.

tile/grout cracking underneath, wood pulling up, uneveness, cracking, etc.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #297
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I hope you have that post secured with more than those two angle brackets, You should have at least 2 long lag bolt going into the stair stringers.
i do! these pictures are from when I got them in place ready to be bolted down. same lag bolts that are used to joint the handrail to the newel
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #298
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

worked on the stairs for a couple of hours today since I went to the gym early morning and had to be in at work at 1530pm but got the final 3rd post in place as well as the hand rails. gonna sand down the handrails and stain them satin black when I get off work tonight
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #299
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Got the Iron Balusters installed upstairs!

currently working on the stairs now but realized that I left the bamboo flooring to acclimate for 7 days but totally forgot that the matching bamboo bull nose also has to acclimate for 7 days. I did manage to finish staining all the newels and handrails

Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34176.50
      04-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #300
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

We just bought a cool mid century modern ranch in an East Lansing, MI neighborhood called Lantern Hill. The neighborhood is full of MCMs all designed by the same architect mostly intended for professors at Michigan State University back in the early '50s.

We're super excited and will have TONS of projects coming up after we close (projected for end of June). New floors throughout, new kitchen, reface/renovate fireplace, maybe a master suite addition. I'll be back to this thread, for sure.

Any other modern/mid century modern architecture fans out there?
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #301
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
havent fully decided what to get yet
I'm no floor installer, but I would imagine it would have to be engineered to install over the top of tile.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #302
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anyone ever replace a section of a granite countertop (not the entire countertop)? We have a crack near the sink that we have had repaired twice. It has only gotten worse. It is due to a metal rod used in the original install 17 years ago that is rusting and it is now clear it isn’t going to be repairable with a simple fill.

It is definitely less expensive to replace a section of the kitchen counters than having it turn into a kitchen remodel. But it isn’t cheap enough to consider a do over if it doesn’t go as expected. I am concerned about matching the color to rest of counter. Just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this type of situation.
      04-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #303
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Anyone ever replace a section of a granite countertop (not the entire countertop)? We have a crack near the sink that we have had repaired twice. It has only gotten worse. It is due to a metal rod used in the original install 17 years ago that is rusting and it is now clear it isn’t going to be repairable with a simple fill.

It is definitely less expensive to replace a section of the kitchen counters than having it turn into a kitchen remodel. But it isn’t cheap enough to consider a do over if it doesn’t go as expected. I am concerned about matching the color to rest of counter. Just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this type of situation.
unless you are able to get an exact match, youll be able to tell

best to replace the entire slab

Appreciate 2
RickFLM410880.50
      04-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #304
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Quote:
Anyone ever replace a section of a granite countertop (not the entire countertop)? We have a crack near the sink that we have had repaired twice. It has only gotten worse. It is due to a metal rod used in the original install 17 years ago that is rusting and it is now clear it isn't going to be repairable with a simple fill.

It is definitely less expensive to replace a section of the kitchen counters than having it turn into a kitchen remodel. But it isn't cheap enough to consider a do over if it doesn't go as expected. I am concerned about matching the color to rest of counter. Just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this type of situation.
unless you are able to get an exact match, youll be able to tell

best to replace the entire slab
That's what I figured and I expect it will be hard to get an exact match. Pictures aren't precise enough and even a small sample from old leftover vs. a slab is probably hard to compare, even though the granite we have was extremely common back in the day.

The problem is that even when replacing the entire counter, it is right next to a granite backsplash and granite bar counter. So if a mismatch is noticeable, it will be noticeable even if the entire counter is replaced.

Carpenter / cabinet maker coming over tomorrow to scope out kitchen cabinet refresh or new cabinets. If we are going to do all new counters then we ought to think about cabinets at same time I guess.
      04-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #305
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Very hard to match since there are no two granites alike.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      04-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #306
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's what I figured and I expect it will be hard to get an exact match. Pictures aren't precise enough and even a small sample from old leftover vs. a slab is probably hard to compare, even though the granite we have was extremely common back in the day.

The problem is that even when replacing the entire counter, it is right next to a granite backsplash and granite bar counter. So if a mismatch is noticeable, it will be noticeable even if the entire counter is replaced.

Carpenter / cabinet maker coming over tomorrow to scope out kitchen cabinet refresh or new cabinets. If we are going to do all new counters then we ought to think about cabinets at same time I guess.
the backsplash and bar wont be as bad since its not 1 slab. You match the colors right, and it wont be weird.

when you try and replace just a section in a slab, its very noticeable because patterns wont line up and youll be able to see any color difference as well.

Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      04-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #307
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
We just bought a cool mid century modern ranch in an East Lansing, MI neighborhood called Lantern Hill. The neighborhood is full of MCMs all designed by the same architect mostly intended for professors at Michigan State University back in the early '50s.

We're super excited and will have TONS of projects coming up after we close (projected for end of June). New floors throughout, new kitchen, reface/renovate fireplace, maybe a master suite addition. I'll be back to this thread, for sure.

Definitely a fan and yours sounds like a killer spot. Our next purchase will likely be one. Need pictures!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #308
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post

I cannot believe there are no pictures accompanying all these words. Help me out, I'm a visual person. I don't do well with big words, I like picture books.

But I really would like to see some before pics (and of course after). Sounds very interesting.
Appreciate 1