BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 'Clicking' steering wheel

02-02-2024, 02:36 PM   #1
Itsme9484
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

'Clicking' steering wheel

Hi all
I hit a rather large pothole in the dark at speed causing my car to bounce hard a few months ago (only mentioning as may or may not be connected).

Now when i am turning at low speed the steering wheel ‘clicks’ and i can feel it through the wheel. It usually only happens when at low speeds and putting in the tighter turns. Sometimes i can sit in the car and just turn the steering wheel and it clicks. Tracking is also a little off and pulls right but im taking that as the tracking being messed up from the pothole.

Before i spend a fortune for BMW to tell me its xyz, whats everyone elses thoughts.

I was thinking maybe a CV joint but the ‘click’ comes through the steering wheel and i can feel it and inwouldnt have thought this would happen when stationary. Im open to suggestions
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:44 PM   #2
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

I think someone needs to look at the front end first to see if there’s any visible damage, and then crank the wheel lock to lock on a lift to see is the issue is reproducible there. If that doesn’t reproduce the issue then turn the wheel with the car on the ground or go for a ride with the tech until you can repro it.

IMO, there’s no easy, “Oh, it’s this part that need adjusting type of answer here,” esp especially considering you hit a big pothole before this started. May not be related to the pothole but absent any other context, it sure seems like it could be. If not under warranty bring it to an independent shop, two even, if you are worried you’re being quoted for unnecessary repairs.

My $.02
Appreciate 0