BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion New MTV show explores "White Privilege".

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #199
Delta0311
Banned
7395
Rep
10,130
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't force anyone to read my posts -- long or short -- and I know everyone can scroll right past them. Why you don't do exactly that rather than griping about the length is beyond me, but apparently it does you some good somehow to criticize the length of my posts.

All the best.
The put it in simple terms.. Success some from a concept called productivity.. Yes there will always be exceptions, for example Will Smith kids have a major leg up. And will do fairly well in what ever they do simply because they have access to daddy's money. Same goes for a guy like Mitt Romney, who's success was in part all thanks to daddy. But then again most parents will do what ever they can to help their kids succeed so none of this is unusual.

What I'm trying to get at is the guy who does well in life and is not born with a silver spoon. That guy succeeds because he has a strong work ethic and applies it towards something that will net him growth. Meaning that if you push a fucking broom all day and that is all you do, then no matter how well you push the broom you will still be pushing it many years down the road. Now if you channel your work ethic into developing a skill-set that can earn you money, then eventually your work will pay off, you will earn, and your lifestyle will improve.

Unfortunately a lot of people have no work ethic or drive so they wind up not accomplishing shit in their life. Instead they spend most of their day bitching about how world is working against them, and hating anyone who is successful. A good example of this is the gym. You got the guys who bust their ass and look good and then you got the assholes that come in to take up space. The guys who look good and make progress are the ones who make the necessary sacrifices and put in the hard work. Whereas the guys who come and continually look like shit are the ones who spend most of the time talking(usually talking shit about the guys who are looking good), not working out correctly, and eating what ever happens to drop on their plate that day.

There is no fucking complex, magical formula to this.. It is not very hard to succeed in America if you simply apply yourself towards something and put in the necessary work. My aunt came to the US and cleaned houses for many years (even though she had a college education) eventually she started her own cleaning service and had other women work for her. And she accomplished all of this while barely speaking fucking English. She turned nothing into something big and it was all thanks to her drive to succeed and a strong work ethic. But I take it cleaning peoples toilets is part of this great white privileged we got going on too?

Last edited by Delta0311; 08-19-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #200
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
776
Rep
5,666
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
[Then] put it in simple terms.. Success some from a concept called productivity.. Yes there will always be exceptions, for example Will Smith kids have a major leg up. And will do fairly well in what ever they do simply because they have access to daddy's money. Same goes for a guy like Mitt Romney, who's success was in part all thanks to daddy. But then again most parents will do what ever they can to help their kids succeed so none of this is unusual.

What I'm trying to get at is the guy who does well in life and is not born with a silver spoon. That guy succeeds because he has a strong work ethic and applies it towards something that will net him growth. Meaning that if you push a fucking broom all day and that is all you do, then no matter how well you push the broom you will still be pushing it many years down the road. Now if you channel your work ethic into developing a skill-set that can earn you money, then eventually your work will pay off, you will earn, and your lifestyle will improve.

Unfortunately a lot of people have no work ethic or drive so they wind up not accomplishing shit in their life. Instead they spend most of their day bitching about how world is working against them, and hating anyone who is successful. A good example of this is the gym. You got the guys who bust their ass and look good and then you got the assholes that come in to take up space. The guys who look good and make progress are the ones who make the necessary sacrifices and put in the hard work. Whereas the guys who come and continually look like shit are the ones who spend most of the time talking(usually talking shit about the guys who are looking good), not working out correctly, and eating what ever happens to drop on their plate that day.

There is no fucking complex, magical formula to this.. It is not very hard to succeed in America if you simply apply yourself towards something and put in the necessary work. My aunt came to the US and cleaned houses for many years (even though she had a college education) eventually she started her own cleaning service and had other women work for her. And she accomplished all of this while barely speaking fucking English. She turned nothing into something big and it was all thanks to her drive to succeed and a strong work ethic. But I take it cleaning peoples toilets is part of this great white privileged we got going on too?
I agree that the model you described above is one of the several, many perhaps, that can lead to success.

The question I most recently tried to answer, and that you griped about the length of, didn't ask about how to be successful. The question asked why/how do we Americans find ourselves in a nation so suffuse with animosity (hate), especially given that our nation was [ostensibly] founded on principles of diversity.

Now for all the ways and topics of which you and disagree, I would hope that at the very least you realize that question cannot be answered competently in any way that could be called "short." There literally is no shortage of books, books from all sorts of perspectives, that attempt to answer that question, and that's to say nothing of bloggers who've taken on the question. A few are noted below, but there are hundreds upon hundreds more.
  • The Eliminationists: How Hate Talk Radicalized the American Right
  • It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism
  • Racist America: Roots, Current Realities and Future Reparations
  • Divided America: The Ferocious Power Struggle in American Politics
  • The Social Health of the Nation : How America Is Really Doing
  • United America
  • Blog: "Why Are Americans so Divided? Why Are We so Angry?" (http://blog.irvingwb.com/blog/2013/1...-so-angry.html)
I offered my own "from 50K feet" take on the question/answer. Short of chalking it up to human nature, which is no minor subject in itself, and which I did at the outset of my post, there is no simple answer. I realize that you and some other members only want short, pat answers and want to see everything in absolute terms, but the fact is that not everything can be explained that way and Breazilian's question is among them.


All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #201
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9541
Rep
8,212
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Tony is great about building in cliff notes for his answers. If you look at the last response that was complained about it's length, the key points he wants to get across are bolded. Made it easy for me to get the gist of what he was posting. If I were more interested in one of those bullet points, I could read just that section. Those that held less or zero interest, I glossed over more rapidly and could get on to the meat of what he was writing.

Does Evelyn Wood still exist?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #202
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
776
Rep
5,666
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Tony is great about building in cliff notes for his answers. If you look at the last response that was complained about it's length, the key points he wants to get across are bolded. Made it easy for me to get the gist of what he was posting. If I were more interested in one of those bullet points, I could read just that section. Those that held less or zero interest, I glossed over more rapidly and could get on to the meat of what he was writing.

Does Evelyn Wood still exist?
She doesn't. She died in the 1990s. Her course lives on: http://www.ewrd.com/ewrd/index.asp .

And thank you for noticing that I do make some sort of effort to facilitate making reading the long ones -- at least the ones I know will be long from the get go -- a bit easier.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #203
Dalko43
Captain
168
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Tony is great about building in cliff notes for his answers. If you look at the last response that was complained about it's length, the key points he wants to get across are bolded. Made it easy for me to get the gist of what he was posting. If I were more interested in one of those bullet points, I could read just that section. Those that held less or zero interest, I glossed over more rapidly and could get on to the meat of what he was writing.

Does Evelyn Wood still exist?
Can't really agree or disagree with his bold points (pun intended) unless you see what evidence he has, or doesn't have, in support of them...and no one has the time to read that stuff, much of which is highly subjective and relying on his own experience or editorialized "sources."
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #204
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
2331
Rep
9,157
Posts

Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (6)

I read Tony's stuff, it's a very solid mix of personal anecdotes, experience and of course facts.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #205
Dalko43
Captain
168
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I read Tony's stuff, it's a very solid mix of personal anecdotes, experience and of course facts.
You read Tony's stuff because you because you're a Rachel Maddow fan and have a donkey tatoo on your forehead.

And let's be honest...you don't actually read all of Tony's posts.
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #206
Delta0311
Banned
7395
Rep
10,130
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I read Tony's stuff, it's a very solid mix of personal anecdotes, experience and of course facts.
If the Great Bruce Lee read this shit he would be roundhousing you to the face right about now.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #207
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
776
Rep
5,666
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I read Tony's stuff, it's a very solid mix of personal anecdotes, experience and of course facts.
Thank you for recognizing that.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #208
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
2331
Rep
9,157
Posts

Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
You read Tony's stuff because you because you're a Rachel Maddow fan and have a donkey tatoo on your forehead.

And let's be honest...you don't actually read all of Tony's posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
If the Great Bruce Lee read this shit he would be roundhousing you to the face right about now.
That's right, set up that strawman, that'll teach me.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #209
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
776
Rep
5,666
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
That's right, set up that strawman, that'll teach me.
The first memorable encounter on B-post that I had with Dalko was about a year ago. It was then that I learned that his comments will, as a result of their insipidity, be an ongoing source of levity. If you haven't already, read the OP, followed by posts #7 and #9 here --- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post16541440 -- and you'll immediately see what I mean.

In fairness to him, however, after I explained in post #7 what the point of the thread was, he did offer some inane comments made by President Obama. He closed that post (#9) with this, "Like I said, everyone has their WTF moments, but for some reason, the intellectually elite, like yourself, only find GW's moments funny and worthy of your derision."

Now why it is that he thinks "intellectually elite" folks only see the silliness of GWB's inane comments is beyond me. I see the silliness of the Obama quotes Dalko shared in the latter half of that post. I suspect other bright folks do too.

I'm sure Dalko43 is a charming person, and to that end, my comments here have nothing to do with his being or personality, only with the substance and bearing of the thoughts he's shared and that I've read. (I.E., I'm only commenting on the quality of the content he opts to share. I don't have any interest in deriding him as an individual.) He's not one with whom I can engage in substantive debate/discussion due to his refusal to remain contextually relevant, his inclination to resort to insults, his taking giant leaps of inference when nothing suggests such inferences are apropos in the given circumstance, and his utter instance on reading, and considering as a critical reader/thinker, discussions that extend beyond a "sound bite" in length. Those approachs are perfectly apt at a cocktail party or other venue where exchanging quipy platitudes is all that's expected or required. In a political or religious discussion, not so much, or at least not for me.

At the end of the day, he can largely ignore my comments as I do his. That works just fine for both of us, or at least for me it does, because neither of us wants to address the topics in this sub-forum in a manner that suits the other.

By way of example, I wouldn't engage Donald Trump (or many politicians) in a debate on points of policy, on issues, for many of the same reasons, even though I know he's a bright man in several dimensions; too many of his remarks are overly simplistic and do not give due justice to the topic under discussion. I don't think Mr. Trump is any smarter or less smart than I; he just refuses to provide much substance when expressing his ideas. That's his choice, his preference, and it's Dalko43's too. They both approach things that way, they are entitled to do so, and that's that...With Mr. Trump, unless he comes up very soon with some substance, I won't vote for him. With Dalko43, I just refrain from replying to his comments.

Of course, there are differences: Mr. Trump wants to be our President; thus he needs to show substance; Dalko43, as a forum member just like me, is under no obligation to do so.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST