BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Let's See Your House Projects!

05-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #375
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
When you say "no problems with water or anything" do you ever leave standing water on the wood? I have never seen an interior wood product that could take it long term.

I agree it is fine if you don't mind caring for it correctly.
ive always got ice falling on the floor under cabinets/fridge and melting. 4 years at this current house, no issue. same at the last house on 15yo floors, no issue.

we also keep the dog's food and waterbowl on the hardwood, and yet again, no issue.

Where you start to see issues is when there is a constant water source (ie. Leaking pipe) which would cause damage to any flooring, or improperly installed flooring. Properly installed and sealed, its not a big concern.

Maintenance is nothing you wouldnt do with any other flooring. Clean regulary, and refinish 10-15yrs as needed. Except with other types of flooring, that is replace 10-15yrs, not refinish. Unless of course, you leave shit all over your floors and dont clean it up. In which case, nothing will last.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #376
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
When you say "no problems with water or anything" do you ever leave standing water on the wood? I have never seen an interior wood product that could take it long term.

No. Then again, I wouldn't leave standing water on my tile floor, either.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
      05-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #377
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:

It's a very simple risk/benefit analysis. There are risks with a wood floor:

- Unattended standing water could damage it
- It can scratch
- It can catch fire
- Termites can eat it
- Forests are damaged to generate it

There are rewards:

- It's attractive
- It adds value to your home
- It feels good under foot
- It's affordable
- It provides sound damping

If someone feels the rewards outweigh the risks then great. if not, find a different product.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #378
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Kitchen and baths are ceramic, everything else is varying species of wood

Why? Because Happy Wife, Happy Life
      05-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #379
hooligan_G01
Rep

As an aside, we pulled our offer on the house I posted about earlier in the thread. The garage needed to be torn down and rebuilt from the slab up. Speaking of slabs - the house was on a slab, as well, and had galvanized plumbing that was already experiencing some water pressure issues. Re-piping a house is a big enough project without factoring in ripping open the foundation to do it.

On a happier note, we are scheduled to close on this little butterfly roofed beauty in less than 2 weeks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
DETRoadster11446.00
wrickem2101.00
King Rudi13152.00
      05-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #380
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Nice! Any plans for renovations/additions/etc.? Looks like it has some great potential.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #381
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
As an aside, we pulled our offer on the house I posted about earlier in the thread. The garage needed to be torn down and rebuilt from the slab up. Speaking of slabs - the house was on a slab, as well, and had galvanized plumbing that was already experiencing some water pressure issues. Re-piping a house is a big enough project without factoring in ripping open the foundation to do it.

On a happier note, we are scheduled to close on this little butterfly roofed beauty in less than 2 weeks.
Mid-century awesomeness. Right there! Love it.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #382
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Nice! Any plans for renovations/additions/etc.? Looks like it has some great potential.
Oh, yeah, big plans.

Hardwoods throughout (except for the secondary bedrooms), full cosmetic renos of both bathrooms, full kitchen reno, unfortunately they painted the mortar on the fireplace black for some reason - so we need to get a mason in to re-tuck point the fireplace, gas inserts in both fireplaces, all the crown molding is coming down, possibly relocating the basement stairs, repaint/repair the exterior siding (some carpenter bee damage).

Sadly almost all of the trees need to come down - most of them are only about two feet from the exterior walls of the house. Why someone planted them so close to the home, I'll never understand.

Oh, and the basketball hoop is coming down, too.

Here's a pic of the fireplace. I love the brick, don't love the painted mortar. I also don't like that they wrapped the beams in drywall. We'll strip that off and hopefully finish the beams themselves, or at least wrap them in some good looking finish-grade veneer of some sort.
Attached Images

Last edited by hooligan_G01; 05-09-2019 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
      05-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #383
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh, yeah, big plans.

Hardwoods throughout (except for the secondary bedrooms), full cosmetic renos of both bathrooms, full kitchen reno, unfortunately they painted the mortar on the fireplace black for some reason - so we need to get a mason in to re-tuck point the fireplace, gas inserts in both fireplaces, all the crown molding is coming down, possibly relocating the basement stairs, repaint/repair the exterior siding (some carpenter bee damage).

Sadly almost all of the trees need to come down - most of them are only about two feet from the exterior walls of the house. Why someone planted them so close to the home, I'll never understand.

Here's a pic of the fireplace. I love the brick, don't love the painted mortar. I also don't like that they wrapped the beams in drywall. We'll strip that off and hopefully finish the beams themselves, or at least wrap them in some good looking finish-grade veneer of some sort.
Good luck, but how the hell do you do that? Pulled an offer off the table yesterday and closing on another in two weeks? Were both on the table at the same time or did you just make the decision on this one after you pulled the other?
      05-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #384
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Oh, yeah, big plans.

Good luck, but how the hell do you do that? Pulled an offer off the table yesterday and closing on another in two weeks? Were both on the table at the same time or did you just make the decision on this one after you pulled the other?
Maybe he's a cash buyer?
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #385
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Maybe he's a cash buyer?
I get that but I was thinking more the closing date already set when he just pulled the offer of the table the same day on a different house. Maybe he was buying two?

EDIT - You have to make an offer and have it accepted before you have a closing date.
      05-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #386
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
No, sorry, we pulled the offer on the other one as soon as the inspections were done. We put the offer in on this one about 4 days after we rescinded the offer on the first house - I just didn't post about it here.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #387
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Maybe he's a cash buyer?
Sadly, he's not.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      05-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #388
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
No, sorry, we pulled the offer on the other one as soon as the inspections were done. We put the offer in on this one about 4 days after we rescinded the offer on the first house - I just didn't post about it here.

I was impressed. I thought you pulled one offer and made another which was accepted the same day. Buying my house was the most stressful freakin event of my life. I wanted to shoot myself. All the BS with the bank, I swear there was some pocket protector wearing underwriter looking to screw with me every chance he got.

The first inspector/surveyor said the pool was too close to the property line. It was winter. He measured from the edge of the pool cover and not the edge of the pool. YOU HAD ONE JOB!

Anyway, good luck to you.
      05-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #389
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Over the last few days been working on the main floor as well as the kitchen area. had my boys help tear up the old wood flooring and the tile in the front door entrance and the kitchen area.

I use this product by MP Global Products QuietWalk Plus. This holds a •STC Sound Rating - 66; IIC Sound Rating - 71; Delta Rating - 22 which really works well for dampening the sound.
Here's the dining room area

part of the main entrance/foyer

walk area next to the Family room to the right

time to destroy the kitchen tile! that wasn't too fun

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
      05-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #390
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

All those options for ripping holes in feet, showering the floors in the sacrificial blood of the youth, and they still wear sandals at best - SMH
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      05-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #391
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Over the last few days been working on the main floor as well as the kitchen area.
Must have missed it...is that click together flooring?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #392
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Must have missed it...is that click together flooring?
engineered yes
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #393
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
All those options for ripping holes in feet, showering the floors in the sacrificial blood of the youth, and they still wear sandals at best - SMH
Buddy of mine I've known since we were wee lads builds/remodels barefoot. His company is aptly named Barefoot Builders. The only time I see him with anything on his feet is when he is on stilts or during the winter....even then he is in flip flops.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #394
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Buddy of mine I've known since we were wee lads builds/remodels barefoot. His company is aptly named Barefoot Builders. The only time I see him with anything on his feet is when he is on stilts or during the winter....even then he is in flip flops.
I could never walk barefoot. my feet our soft and if I even step on a pebble I fall over from the excruciating pain!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #395
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
We did our kitchen back in November. New granite tops, new sink and faucet, new range hood, new backsplash and LVT on the floor.

Did our daughter's bathroom next, new backsplash, countertop, sink and faucet.

Working on our bathroom now, shower is close, everything else will come next.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
      05-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #396
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
We did our kitchen back in November. New granite tops, new sink and faucet, new range hood, new backsplash and LVT on the floor.

Did our daughter's bathroom next, new backsplash, countertop, sink and faucet.

Working on our bathroom now, shower is close, everything else will come next.
Looks great! Are those your things hanging in the bathroom lol? Poka dots nice! Lol
Appreciate 0