BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Trump's Presidency is Over

03-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #45
larrylarry
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
People are, by and large, dumb.

The President is the equivalent of the quarterback. They get too much praise when things go well and too much criticism when they don't. It's been that way as long as I can remember and it applies to everything from the NYSE to gas prices and all points in-between.

To quote the Men In Black meme I've seen floating around:

Agent Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it...
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #46
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
Acting sooner. Everybody criticizes China and Iran for hiding their numbers but our admin tried to do the same.
So we are hiding the number of people who died?
No matter how you guys spin it the final word will be the number of dead in this country. Anyone except a TDS moron would say we are A+ in that category.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2601.00

03-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #47
Our03z4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry View Post
Oh man I love it!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #48
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
No, the economy isn't doing "great". If it was "great" it wouldn't need an "emergency" rate cut from the Fed to attempt to prop up the falling DJIA. If it was "great" it wouldn't need to have ideas like suspending payroll taxes suggested to try to keep it afloat.

It's not bad, unemployment and LFPR are pretty good (the aging Boomer demo is helping that by default), but it's nowhere near as robust as the cheerleaders would have you and I believe.

As I've said in other threads - sub-3% 30 year mortgages are NOT and indicator of a great economy. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Primary credit and secondary credit rates are both a full point below where they were last summer.

https://www.frbdiscountwindow.org/pa...discount-rates

This is not the mark of a "great" economy:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/fed-...purchases.html
I think all the folks that have jobs might view things differently than you. The current circumstance with respect to the Covid-19 virus and the effect on the economy isn't a US only downturn. Frankly every government on the planet has screwed this pandemic up, our genius drama teacher now PM came out yesterday at noon and announced that Canadians should avoid all but essential international travel, just as everyone is off to the airport for March Break.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #49
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I think all the folks that have jobs might view things differently than you. The current circumstance with respect to the Covid-19 virus and the effect on the economy isn't a US only downturn. Frankly every government on the planet has screwed this pandemic up, our genius drama teacher now PM came out yesterday at noon and announced that Canadians should avoid all but essential international travel, just as everyone is off to the airport for March Break.
Huh? I have a job. Have pretty much every day since I was about 15 years old.

This isn't about the pandemic, specifically. Our economy wasn't "great" before the DJIA crash/correction and the Fed emergency rate cut.
Appreciate 2
minn196907.00

03-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #50
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
No matter how you guys spin it the final word will be the number of dead in this country. Anyone except a TDS moron would say we are A+ in that category.
Hiding the number of infected. The number of dead comes later.
Appreciate 2
JMAC5150100.00
minn196907.00

03-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #51
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Huh? I have a job. Have pretty much every day since I was about 15 years old.

This isn't about the pandemic, specifically. Our economy wasn't "great" before the DJIA crash/correction and the Fed emergency rate cut.
My comment about the folks with jobs was in reference to the drop in unemployment over the last few years in the US. The Bank of Canada dropped the prime rate yesterday by a 1/2 point to create stimulus in response to the downturn created by the outbreak.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #52
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
My comment about the folks with jobs was in reference to the drop in unemployment over the last few years in the US.
The last few years? It's been steadily trending downward for about a decade. As has been discussed over and over again, Trump has simply been able to continue the momentum on that front. It's admirable, but in no way revolutionary.

Quote:
The Bank of Canada dropped the prime rate yesterday by a 1/2 point to create stimulus in response to the downturn created by the outbreak.
Has your PM, or anyone in your government, been calling Canada's economy "the greatest in history"? How about just "great"? Do you feel Canada's economy is "great"?
Appreciate 1
minn196907.00

03-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #53
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hiding the number of infected. The number of dead comes later.
Thousands have been infected in this country and recovered..don't you get it? That's why China (a third world country) survived.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #54
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The last few years? It's been steadily trending downward for about a decade. As has been discussed over and over again, Trump has simply been able to continue the momentum on that front. It's admirable, but in no way revolutionary.

Has your PM, or anyone in your government, been calling Canada's economy "the greatest in history"? How about just "great"? Do you feel Canada's economy is "great"?
The idiot PM yesterday referred to the Canadian economy as having "Fiscal Firepower" I kid you not. A different kind of boob, but a boob none the less.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 03-14-2020 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 4
anglo55645.50
minn196907.00
xander_g761.00

03-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #55
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
along with not testing in an attempt to skew the numbers or make it seem less relevant in the US. hypothetically speaking of the corona crisis ends quickly with little fatalities and the markets rebound... what then? over the last few years this guy has proven to be the teflon don. nothing sticks to him.
One off testing isn't really helpful because it only provides a snapshot.

Trump like all Presidents in these situations has to lean heavily on the bureaucracy who are not politic appointees.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #56
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Awwww, isn't it so cute? The liberal progressives were crying impeachment before he was even sworn in and have since tried turning every table trying to undo the 16' election results unsuccessfully. Even crying over the Electoral College, it just won't stop. So trying to argue about it is just a waste if time. People are entitled to their opinions, and today, with the internet, opinions are loosely interpreted as fact.

There's much Dunning Kruger at work in contemporary times.

But they are right, his Presidency will be done, in 2024...
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3524.50

03-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #57
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Awwww, isn't it so cute? The liberal progressives were crying impeachment before he was even sworn in and have since tried turning every table trying to undo the 16' election results unsuccessfully. Even crying over the Electoral College, it just won't stop. So trying to argue about it is just a waste if time. People are entitled to their opinions, and today, with the internet, opinions are loosely interpreted as fact.

There's much Dunning Kruger at work in contemporary times.

But they are right, his Presidency will be done, in 2024...
Dunning Kruger?

That seems to describe a certain "stable genius"........

03-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #58
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
You should give the guy a break. With the Coronavirus induced run on goods in all stores there’s a shortage of aluminum foil and he couldn’t purchase any to fabricate a new hat to keep those crazy waves from infiltrating his cranium.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #59
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
You should give the guy a break. With the Coronavirus induced run on goods in all stores there’s a shortage of aluminum foil and he couldn’t purchase any to fabricate a new hat to keep those crazy waves from infiltrating his cranium.
https://www.space.com/iran-coronavir...te-images.html
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2601.00

03-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #60
jamesinaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Anyone predicting the outcome of the November election in March is an idiot. Article is clearly written with some hope of being right by the author.

As for how Trump is handling this virus I'm not sure what is the right answer. The net result is we will all be exposed to it eventually and it isn't due to anything the governments anywhere did. With the movement and air travel now there simply is no way to quarantine something like this.

IMO the damage to Trump will only be if the economy does stall all the way to the election AND if there is significant loss of life of the elderly which is a large voter bloc for him. We'll see.

Meanwhile can anyone spare a roll of Charmin?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #61
turboawd
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Anyone predicting the outcome of the November election in March is an idiot. Article is clearly written with some hope of being right by the author.

As for how Trump is handling this virus I'm not sure what is the right answer. The net result is we will all be exposed to it eventually and it isn't due to anything the governments anywhere did. With the movement and air travel now there simply is no way to quarantine something like this.

IMO the damage to Trump will only be if the economy does stall all the way to the election AND if there is significant loss of life of the elderly which is a large voter bloc for him. We'll see.

Meanwhile can anyone spare a roll of Charmin?
Trump will lose. We'll vote on Biden and just forget about our problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #62
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Trump will lose. We'll vote on Biden and just forget about our problems.
My EC prediction still stands at

3/1 current map prediction
View post on imgur.com

In 3 months we will see if I change anything
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #63
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Thousands have been infected in this country and recovered..don't you get it? That's why China (a third world country) survived.
49 have recovered and 55 have died. Thousands are infected.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #64
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
49 have recovered and 55 have died. Thousands are infected.
Funny 85% of those who get it suffer no symptoms, to a bad cold. None needing hospital care. Carry on dude.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #65
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Funny 85% of those who get it suffer no symptoms, to a bad cold. None needing hospital care. Carry on dude.
base on your 85%

Current Cases world wide would be as follow
Infected 284018
Death 5789 (assuming this is 100% accurate)
Recover would be 134286
Close Cases 144996
Death to Close Cases 4%
49% of the population still infected

Now if you remove China from the mix since I believe all their numbers are total bs. Especially with such rapid growth everywhere else China wants us to believe we already peak in infections.

Infected 134212
Death 2596
Recover 12824
Close Cases 17627
Death to Close Rate 14.7%
87% of the population still infected

Either way those numbers are pretty grim for the 4 to 15% of people who contract the disease and die.

Now I've heard many people kicking around the idea that it 20x the cases so base on those number
Without China
Current 1,523,487
Death 2596
Recover 145,572
Close Cases 60,026
Death Rate 2.6%
97% of the population still fighting the illness

^ the 20x factor seems a bit insane to me for an illness that been around since Late November.

Last edited by NormanConquest; 03-14-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #66
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

I think the Donald was pretty much a lock to win until the Covid crisis hit. People will politicize his response to the virus but ultimately people are just as concerned, if not more concerned, about the markets and economy. If Trump pulled the alarm early on a disease we know little about it would have hurt the economy drastically. In hindsight it's easy to assess what was right and wrong, but in the moment there is no right answer. It's like drafting a QB with the #1 pick, only time will tell whether people label you as a genius or incompetent.

If markets start to recover then I think he still has a good shot in November. Time and time again incumbents are won when the economy was in good shape.