BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Trump's Presidency is Over

03-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #67
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Without China
Current 1,523,487
Death 2596
Recover 145,572
Close Cases 60,026
Death Rate 2.6%
97% of the population still fighting the illness

^ the 20x factor seems a bit insane to me for an illness that been around since Late November.
Again the "Current cases" can not be known unless you test every one who even has no symptms.

But again we'll see who is right on April 13
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #68
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Funny 85% of those who get it suffer no symptoms, to a bad cold. None needing hospital care. Carry on dude.
Care to back up your numbers?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #69
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Again the "Current cases" can not be known unless you test every one who even has no symptms.

But again we'll see who is right on April 13
You said 85% so it basic math.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #70
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
Care to back up your numbers?
So here are a couple of excerpts from an interesting article I've read (link included) that IMHO put things into perspective.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...sk-2020-2?op=1

"If indeed we discover that there are far more cases than are actually being reported and that one of the primary reasons for this is that we're just not detecting asymptomatic or mild or moderately symptomatic cases that don't end up seeking healthcare then our estimates for the case fatality rate will likely decrease," Lauren Ancel Meyers, an epidemiologist at the University of Texas at Austin, told Business Insider.

In total, COVID-19 has killed more than 4,000 people and infected more than 116,000. It originated in Wuhan, central China's most populous city, and has since spread to more than 100 other countries. About 70% of cases are on the Chinese mainland."
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #71
Dagamus_NM
Dirka Dirka
Rep
Drives: 14 Dinan 550i, 10 m3, 91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
So here are a couple of excerpts from an interesting article I've read (link included) that IMHO put things into perspective.

"If indeed we discover that there are far more cases than are actually being reported — and that one of the primary reasons for this is that we're just not detecting asymptomatic or mild or moderately symptomatic cases that don't end up seeking healthcare — then our estimates for the case fatality rate will likely decrease," Lauren Ancel Meyers, an epidemiologist at the University of Texas at Austin, told Business Insider.

In total, COVID-19 has killed more than 4,000 people and infected more than 116,000. It originated in Wuhan, central China's most populous city, and has since spread to more than 100 other countries. About 70% of cases are on the Chinese mainland."
"If indeed we discover that there are far more cases than are actually being reported"

Yes, this is true. But absent of that we can only use the numbers we have.
This is speculation at best. Need widespread testing for that.

Again, you are counting unresolved cases. It has killed 5,798 with 74,262 recovered. There are your numbers. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Of the remaining 74,181 cases 5,921 are listed as critical. This is where ventilators come into the picture. Most of these will die but a percentage will be saved. Many of those 74,181 can convert to critical at any time, most will move to resolved but we are getting to a point where the statistics are consistent from day to day.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #72
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

It's not hard to predict what will happen in November because Biden just had his "Deplorables" moment... Let him keep picking on little girls and playing tough guy calling voters full of shit. That works! Want to talk about the AR-14 and a bunch of other mental gaffs...

Sanders won't get the Democratic nod, that leaves Biden. I like him actually, just not as a Politician, let alone as possible POTUS. Never Trumpers still don't realize how he won in 16' and will again in 20'... And that is just because he's not the other guy! He is "NOT" a politician and that's what carried him into the oval office. Is hysterical how people just don't get it. Joe the plumber could've won in 16'... And unseating an incumbent has happened how many times? But it's ok, keep dreaming with the dreamers! There's no way a life long politician can suddenly have an awakening and tell you he has all the solutions when he's been part of the problem. And are we going to erase the fact he was complicit in the previous administration? Omg how memory is so convenient! Add in all the family dirt with hi brother and son and I'm sorry, there's no way he's going to be able to handle all the heat that's coming his way. He's going to buckle like a cheap suit in a bad rainstorm.

But go ahead, post his record in 30 years of Senate work, tell us all how well he did! What he supported, his positions then! How about contacting the University of Delaware that has his complete archive and has refused to Grant access to it until after the November Election and ask them please, please, please, to be able to sift through it all, lol. Is interesting that they've done that, no? But yeah, Trump is done! Hahaha, ok
Appreciate 1
scostu1227.50

03-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #73
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
No, the economy isn't doing "great". If it was "great" it wouldn't need an "emergency" rate cut from the Fed to attempt to prop up the falling DJIA. If it was "great" it wouldn't need to have ideas like suspending payroll taxes suggested to try to keep it afloat.

It's not bad, unemployment and LFPR are pretty good (the aging Boomer demo is helping that by default), but it's nowhere near as robust as the cheerleaders would have you and I believe.

As I've said in other threads - sub-3% 30 year mortgages are NOT and indicator of a great economy. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Primary credit and secondary credit rates are both a full point below where they were last summer.

https://www.frbdiscountwindow.org/pa...discount-rates

This is not the mark of a "great" economy:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/fed-...purchases.html
Don't forget that skyrocket national debt due in part to increased government spending by those spend crazy Democrats in the White House! Oh wait a minute....
vtown92.50

03-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #74
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
It's not hard to predict what will happen in November because Biden just had his "Deplorables" moment... Let him keep picking on little girls and playing tough guy calling voters full of shit. That works! Want to talk about the AR-14 and a bunch of other mental gaffs...
I would agree that is response was uncalled for. But at the same time, how many times have you called out Trump for his childish behavior and comments (many of which are aimed directly at individuals)? Or is it OK because it is your guy, Trump?
      03-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #75
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
Good article, well written piece. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely. It is very clear that the leadership of our country, i.e. Trump, has failed miserabley in the handling of this Pandemic. He's essentially downplayed this crisis and the recommendations of Experts: Doctors and Scientists. Now after onlt mounting pressure, has he taken action. Too little too late.
The above articles are well written and detail the facts of his actions or the lack thereof. It certainly does not help that he is a epic compulsive liar.
This stupid MF called this Virus a "Democratic Hoax". He also said he did want testing ramped up because it would hurt his election. FFFFFFFFCK!!!
Who with a brain or soul can support someone like that. That's not a question by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #76
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Absolutely. It is very clear that the leadership of our country, i.e. Trump, has failed miserabley in the handling of this Pandemic. He's essentially downplayed this crisis and the recommendations of Experts: Doctors and Scientists. Now after onlt mounting pressure, has he taken action. Too little too late.
The above articles are well written and detail the facts of his actions or the lack thereof. It certainly does not help that he is a epic compulsive liar.
This stupid MF called this Virus a "Democratic Hoax". He also said he did want testing ramped up because it would hurt his election. FFFFFFFFCK!!!
Who with a brain or soul can support someone like that. That's not a question by the way.
So when you question anyone's "brain or soul" for supporting anything you are just going to get their backs up. If I was to suggest you had no brain or soul for supporting HRC or Biden or Bernie you may take offence. It certainly won't bring you around to my way of thinking. Saavy?
Appreciate 2
2000cs1396.50
lakefront266.50

03-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #77
quick6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

I think the premise of the article that his presidency is over is an eye grabbing headline not necessarily true, but the facts are that while he was limiting Chinese travel to our country, tests should have been ordered and the health agencies for a response to a pending epidemic should have been mobilized.
Instead, we have a president who plays more golf than any other, and is constantly engaged in fund raising and twitter rather than having his eye on the ball, or what's most important for this country.

The article is damning and to think that he had the sheer madness to declare "President Obama should apologize to the American people and resign for his response to the Ebola outbreak" a few years ago is telling. He has fared far worse and we are way behind the curve compared to other countries regarding testing and prevention of the virus. Personally I was never worried about contracting Ebola because we had a guy at the helm that could be trusted, but my wife has a compromised immune system who had a strain of the Corona Virus a couple of years ago and it almost killed her.And I am damn worried. Thanks, trump.

I sure wouldn't want this same slacker in charge of any prolonged military response in a conflict if ever needed, but what do we expect from a guy who was the lead actor in a scripted made for tv series.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #78
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
"If indeed we discover that there are far more cases than are actually being reported"

Yes, this is true. But absent of that we can only use the numbers we have.
This is speculation at best. Need widespread testing for that.

Again, you are counting unresolved cases. It has killed 5,798 with 74,262 recovered. There are your numbers. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Of the remaining 74,181 cases 5,921 are listed as critical. This is where ventilators come into the picture. Most of these will die but a percentage will be saved. Many of those 74,181 can convert to critical at any time, most will move to resolved but we are getting to a point where the statistics are consistent from day to day.
So if you want to just go with the numbers that are confirmed, treated, cured or died then you are seriously scaring yourself unnecessarily. It'll be 2 years before the folks in the know can accurately state what the lethality of this disease is, and I suspect it is going to be somewhere south of .5%, higher than the common flu but not zombie apocalypse territory. So unless you're very old or have a compromised immune system or chronic respiratory disease then relax and enjoy your stockpile of toilet paper.

Glass half full.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #79
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

"If indeed we discover that there are far more cases than are actually being reported and that one of the primary reasons for this is that we're just not detecting asymptomatic or mild or moderately symptomatic cases that don't end up seeking healthcare then our estimates for the case fatality rate will likely decrease," Lauren Ancel Meyers, an epidemiologist at the University of Texas at Austin, told Business Insider.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #80
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
WRONG!

Some people here are assuming countries like Japan, South Korea, Italy tested 100% of their populations.
Not the case, in most countries you get sick, you go to the hospital and then you get tested!

Fewer people in the US went to the hospital having the symptoms of the corona virus.
Why is it so hard to give the Trump administration some credit for doing a better job than most EU countries, South Korea etc?
The dems want 327 million of the population tested for the Coronavirus. Not only it's a waste of resources, no other country is doing it.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3524.50

03-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #81
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
I was never worried about contracting Ebola because we had a guy at the helm that could be trusted, but my wife has a compromised immune system who had a strain of the Corona Virus a couple of years ago and it almost killed her.And I am damn worried. Thanks, trump.

Ebola..lol..yes OBama handled that OK. 4 cases one death.

I notice you didn't mention the SWINE flu. Obama completely fcked that up:

57 million americans sickened
157,000 hospitalized
11,690 Dead

First infection in April National emergency called (after many thousands of deaths) National emergency in late October

Yea he did a great job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Why is it so hard to give the Trump administration some credit for doing a better job than t.
TDS?
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3524.50
anglo55783.50

03-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #82
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I don't understand all the blame on Trump just yet. Yes we had testing issues, but so far our death count is quite low and we have to guess that we have tens of thousands infected by now. With the exception of maybe South Korea, I don't see any country that is doing more than us.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #83
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I don't understand all the blame on Trump just yet. Yes we had testing issues, but so far our death count is quite low and we have to guess that we have tens of thousands infected by now. With the exception of maybe South Korea, I don't see any country that is doing more than us.
The answer is simple. Trump can not do anything right in some people’s minds. Even if he had locked down the whole county prior to the out break to avoid it and saved everyone’s life’s he would still be blamed for other countries death and for starting the virus in China.

Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3524.50
Nuckle862.50
Dagamus_NM1204.00

03-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #84
quick6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

Quote:
Ebola..lol..yes OBama handled that OK. 4 cases one death.

I notice you didn't mention the SWINE flu. Obama completely fcked that up:

57 million americans sickened
157,000 hospitalized
11,690 Dead

First infection in April National emergency called (after many thousands of deaths) National emergency in late October

Yea he did a great job...

TDS?
STUPID?
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #85
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
STUPID?
TDS = Trump Dysfunctional Syndrome
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3524.50

03-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #86
stevenopoly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 350z

are you kidding? look at the Democratic Nominees

Its going to be either:

A) Bernie Sanders : self proclaimed god damn communist. He can claim whatever nomenclature he wants, but a commie is a commie. Just look at his policies. This guy would tank America the quickest.

B) Joe "I'm not working for you" Biden. This guy has some form of early dementia for sure. Dementia always leads to the same ending : death. I'm surprised his family hasn't pulled him out of the race already. He has exponentially embarrassed himself over these past few months. Seriously, how does he keep going and not realize he's embarrassing himself to the max. Oh that's right....His brain is deteriorating. He shouldn't even be allowed to run because of his condition. Come November I'll be surprised if he even remembers his own name.

C) Tulisa Gabbard : The only nominee from the Democratic side I would vote for. Too bad the DNC and the media are against her and trying to wipe her out completely. She's the only person who has a logical mind.

Shame...
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #87
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post
are you kidding? look at the Democratic Nominees

Its going to be either:

A) Bernie Sanders : self proclaimed god damn communist. He can claim whatever nomenclature he wants, but a commie is a commie. Just look at his policies. This guy would tank America the quickest.

B) Joe "I'm not working for you" Biden. This guy has some form of early dementia for sure. Dementia always leads to the same ending : death. I'm surprised his family hasn't pulled him out of the race already. He has exponentially embarrassed himself over these past few months. Seriously, how does he keep going and not realize he's embarrassing himself to the max. Oh that's right....His brain is deteriorating. He shouldn't even be allowed to run because of his condition. Come November I'll be surprised if he even remembers his own name.

C) Tulisa Gabbard : The only nominee from the Democratic side I would vote for. Too bad the DNC and the media are against her and trying to wipe her out completely. She's the only person who has a logical mind.

Shame...
Or the guy who solicited foreign interference from Ukraine to aid his re-election campaign, all based on lies......

The biggest shame of all
      03-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #88
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post

Shame...
True
Appreciate 0