BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 2020 Z4 M40i / 2019 Z3 sDrive30i Ordering and Pricing Guides

04-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #89
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Anyone receive their m40i yet? Mine is in route to the dealer. Should be there Friday. Expecting delivery early next week (with Easter being this weekend, assuming it won't be delivered any earlier).
2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #90
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Anyone receive their m40i yet? Mine is in route to the dealer. Should be there Friday. Expecting delivery early next week (with Easter being this weekend, assuming it won't be delivered any earlier).
Arriving at Baltimore port tomorrow 1 day later than originally scheduled. Hope no damage and being able to pick it up a week from now. With the Easter weekend it may actually be more like next Friday or Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #91
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got pictures from my SA. Came in a day early! Picking it up this afternoon!!!!
Attached Images

2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      04-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #92
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Just got pictures from my SA. Came in a day early! Picking it up this afternoon!!!!
Congratulations! This is also my combo: M40i SF Red with Cognac and black 799 wheels. Unfortunately, mine will still require several weeks to get to me.
      04-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #93
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Congratulations! This is also my combo: M40i SF Red with Cognac and black 799 wheels. Unfortunately, mine will still require several weeks to get to me.
The wait is a huge killer but always worth it. I opted for the black leather on mine. Probably going to regret it when the top is down and sun is out baking the seat for my passenger to sit on haha. Oh well, not my problem
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #94
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The wait is a huge killer but always worth it. I opted for the black leather on mine. Probably going to regret it when the top is down and sun is out baking the seat for my passenger to sit on haha. Oh well, not my problem
Looking forward to you posting pics/impressions once you got some time with her.
I was also eying red/black but then saw pics of the Cognac combo and was sold.
Enjoy!
      04-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #95
SoCalKarl
Drive It Like You Stole It
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Looking forward to you posting pics/impressions once you got some time with her.
I was also eying red/black but then saw pics of the Cognac combo and was sold.
Enjoy!
Contrary to most comments I kind of like the cerium gray grill on the SF red version of this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #96
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Congrats! Let us know how you like the Cerium Grey trim with the red once you see it in real life!

Mine finally arrived at port. Funny: the BMW tracking site moved back from ‘in transit’ to ‘at port’. Took a scary second to figure out what was going on (wait, car is not not that ship?).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #97
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Congrats! Let us know how you like the Cerium Grey trim with the red once you see it in real life!

Mine finally arrived at port. Funny: the BMW tracking site moved back from 'in transit' to 'at port'. Took a scary second to figure out what was going on (wait, car is not not that ship?).
From pics I have seen the cerion grey seems to look ok with SF Red, but, yes, holding my breath....
      04-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #98
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Car handles phenomenally on the 120 mile drive home. Most of it was a huge downpour, was a few hydroplaning spots, but they were very minimal and expected when doing 60 and you can barely see 20 feet ahead of you. Power is so smooth. Better than the m240i I feel and the exhaust sounds much better as well. The upgraded b58 exceeded the first iteration in every way possible. Oh and if you had a first gen b58 and tried to rev the engine in neutral, the exhaust sounded like it does in park even with the valve open. This one actually revs fantastically in neutral and has a nice growl.

Wheels definitely spin in the wet if you get throttle happy, but when it's dry you launch hard. Loads of grip and brakes grab as expected. I will ding BMW for not putting brembos on the back because hard braking I could feel a slight nose dive, but nothing to terrible.

Did 80-90 most of the way home and averaged 25.4 mpg (couple higher stints in there as well). Cruising at 75 though and the gauge sits around 35 mpg on level roads (which is mostly what we have here in Florida).

HK system sounds good, although I wish the subs were under the seat instead of behind the seats. Don't feel the bass as much as I'd like, but then again I didn't mess with the setting for it so hoping I can make it better

Seats are very comfortable for long trips. Took a hot minute to find the sweet spot for me.

Back to the motor real quick; the car feels almost as quick as my m240ix did with jb4 map 5, sport cat DP, Remus exhaust, and CAI. The extra power, and I'm sure transmission tuning, allows for quicker overtakes without having to drop out of 8th gear. Don't feel like the transmission hunts for gears like the 240 did (which was usually a half throttle push to overtake and it's drop to 6th from 8th).

Not sure if anyone else caught it by looking at the pictures, but whoever designed the fill location for the washer fluid, THANK YOU! Open the hood, passenger side front fender essentially, is the washer fill location. Surrounded by plastic and no entry to the engine bay. If you spill, it goes on the plastic for you to wipe up or rinse off.

Overall, it was not a mistake to switch from the 2er to the z4 m40i. At least for me. I don't need the semi useless backseats of the 2er so the z4 works. And that cerium grey doesn't look bad, but I definitely would've preferred the gloss black that is an option on the sdrive30i. I might order those black pieces and replace them in the future, but we'll see. And red mirror caps would've been nice because the cerium grey ones on my wife's x3 m40i have spots on them from bugs and stuff. Never comes as clean as new and it's annoying.
Attached Images

2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      04-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #99
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Car handles phenomenally on the 120 mile drive home. Most of it was a huge downpour, was a few hydroplaning spots, but they were very minimal and expected when doing 60 and you can barely see 20 feet ahead of you. Power is so smooth. Better than the m240i I feel and the exhaust sounds much better as well. The upgraded b58 exceeded the first iteration in every way possible. Oh and if you had a first gen b58 and tried to rev the engine in neutral, the exhaust sounded like it does in park even with the valve open. This one actually revs fantastically in neutral and has a nice growl.

Wheels definitely spin in the wet if you get throttle happy, but when it's dry you launch hard. Loads of grip and brakes grab as expected. I will ding BMW for not putting brembos on the back because hard braking I could feel a slight nose dive, but nothing to terrible.

Did 80-90 most of the way home and averaged 25.4 mpg (couple higher stints in there as well). Cruising at 75 though and the gauge sits around 35 mpg on level roads (which is mostly what we have here in Florida).

HK system sounds good, although I wish the subs were under the seat instead of behind the seats. Don't feel the bass as much as I'd like, but then again I didn't mess with the setting for it so hoping I can make it better

Seats are very comfortable for long trips. Took a hot minute to find the sweet spot for me.

Back to the motor real quick; the car feels almost as quick as my m240ix did with jb4 map 5, sport cat DP, Remus exhaust, and CAI. The extra power, and I'm sure transmission tuning, allows for quicker overtakes without having to drop out of 8th gear. Don't feel like the transmission hunts for gears like the 240 did (which was usually a half throttle push to overtake and it's drop to 6th from 8th).

Not sure if anyone else caught it by looking at the pictures, but whoever designed the fill location for the washer fluid, THANK YOU! Open the hood, passenger side front fender essentially, is the washer fill location. Surrounded by plastic and no entry to the engine bay. If you spill, it goes on the plastic for you to wipe up or rinse off.

Overall, it was not a mistake to switch from the 2er to the z4 m40i. At least for me. I don't need the semi useless backseats of the 2er so the z4 works. And that cerium grey doesn't look bad, but I definitely would've preferred the gloss black that is an option on the sdrive30i. I might order those black pieces and replace them in the future, but we'll see. And red mirror caps would've been nice because the cerium grey ones on my wife's x3 m40i have spots on them from bugs and stuff. Never comes as clean as new and it's annoying.
Thanks for the initial thoughts and gorgeous photos. I am coming from a 2015 M235 xDrive with MPE and I am curious how the M40i will perform in comparison. I only test drove the 30i and while I love the looks the power delivery was so so. Hence, I ordered the M40i unseen.

It seems from your impressions it won't disappoint.

SF Red looks awesome on this car! Cannot wait to get mine.
      04-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #100
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Beautiful car! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #101
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone you all won’t be disappointed
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #102
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:

Nice looking car. I think you made the right choice with the Cerium Grey grill.
Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #103
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Nice looking car. I think you made the right choice with the Cerium Grey grill.
Happy motoring.
Shadowline exterior was supposed to be standard, according to the order guide at least, but it still has cerium grey. Also, Shadowline exterior isn’t an option on the m40i variant so they all should be coming with cerium grey accents.

And thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #104
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Shadowline exterior was supposed to be standard, according to the order guide at least, but it still has cerium grey. Also, Shadowline exterior isn’t an option on the m40i variant so they all should be coming with cerium grey accents.

And thank you
It is standard ... the ‘extended shadowline’ makes grill and mirrors and roll hoops black - in other markets. Not available in US. The regular shadowline just makes gills and rear diffuser black, maybe some other black accents at lights, not 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #105
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is standard ... the ‘extended shadowline’ makes grill and mirrors and roll hoops black - in other markets. Not available in US. The regular shadowline just makes gills and rear diffuser black, maybe some other black accents at lights, not 100% sure.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I’m probably going to order the black pieces and swap them out though. Not a huge fan of the cerium
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #106
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Shadowline exterior was supposed to be standard, according to the order guide at least, but it still has cerium grey. Also, Shadowline exterior isn't an option on the m40i variant so they all should be coming with cerium grey accents.

And thank you
It is standard ... the 'extended shadowline' makes grill and mirrors and roll hoops black - in other markets. Not available in US. The regular shadowline just makes gills and rear diffuser black, maybe some other black accents at lights, not 100% sure.
I have discussed already options, if I want to change them out: CF mirror caps, black grill from the 30i. The problem seem to be the other front accents. I was not able to identify those parts yet. Might need a wrap - worst case. I'll wait though to see it in person before ordering anything in.
In the meantime I enjoy the pics of cars arriving.
      04-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #107
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:

And thank you
Have you seen the black grill up close? If not, make sure you do before going to all that expense changing from the standard Cerium Grey grill. It might be an age thing, but I much prefer the Cerium Grey to the Black grill - just my opinion, it is your money.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #108
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Have you seen the black grill up close? If not, make sure you do before going to all that expense changing from the standard Cerium Grey grill. It might be an age thing, but I much prefer the Cerium Grey to the Black grill - just my opinion, it is your money.
I saw a 30i about a month ago that I test drove. Had the extended Shadowline and I thought it looked good
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:40 AM   #109
Last of the Landsharks
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 (E85) Z4 3.0si

G29 BMW Individual Custom Paint?

Hey was wondering if anyone has had any success with placing a G29 order with the BMW Individual program for a custom paint request? I inquired with my local dealer the other day but haven't heard back from him yet whether the factory will accept this or if they will not allow this until later in their production.

Original: 1984 (E30) 318i Black, Tan
Step Up: 1993 (E36) 318is Mauritius Blue, Light Grey
Step Change: 2008 (E85) Z4 3.0si Titanium Silver, Black
Step x 3: 2015 (F25) X3 xDrive35i Carbon Black M Package, Oyster
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #110
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last of the Landsharks View Post
Hey was wondering if anyone has had any success with placing a G29 order with the BMW Individual program for a custom paint request? I inquired with my local dealer the other day but haven't heard back from him yet whether the factory will accept this or if they will not allow this until later in their production.
Supposedly no individual colors as the car is produced at Magna Steyr and not a BMW plant.