BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Xpel or 3M Paint protection film?

07-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
sanfordrich
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Picked up the car and it looks great; no problems or paint issues. Unfortunately it was raining so it was a bit hard to see exact details. Total cost was just over $2,100 CAN including all taxes....to do the entire front "fender" and rocker added $500.00. They do offer free inspection and repair for as long as I own the car and suggested bringing it in once every year or two, depending on usage. I can breath a bit easier going on our little road trip next weekend, now that this is done.

Cheers,
Dave
I'm glad to hear it all turned out well. When I pick up my new Z4 M40i sometime around Aug 1, I will probably be taking it directly to the shop for the paint protection. Did they use computerized patterns for your car or did it involve cutting the patterns by hand? I assume if it's computerized, my shop will be able to use them too since Xpel is an international brand / product. It sounds like you got a pretty good deal too. They did everything you described in your previous post plus the entire rocker panels (the part of the body from the back of the front fender to the front of the back fender underneath the door?)? If so, that seems like a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #24
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Thanks. Yes they used computerized patterns.....sort of: they said they modified some of the patterns and cut there own for a couple areas that they wanted more coverage (i.e. around a fender lip). They showed me the pattern for the "behind the rear wheel pce" on the computer so I think they are all in there.

The did the part of the fender behind the "brake scoop" from the hood to the rocker and then the whole rocker pce from behind the front tire to the front of the rear tire. This pce came up around the corner into the car about 5/16" and from there they added a pce to cover the rest of the paint to the aluminum door tread.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #25
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
...its almost easier to say what they didn't wrap; doors, rear bumper/rear end and decklid.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #26
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
...its almost easier to say what they didn't wrap; doors, rear bumper/rear end and decklid.

Dave
There are a number of Xpel paint protection companies in the Denver area and I went to their websites. At least one of them talks about both Xpel clear bra protection AND ceramic coatings. They call it the "ultimate protection". Do you have an opinion about ceramic coatings? Apparently they apply it over the entire car (over the clear bra and non clear bra areas). My inclination is to NOT buy into the hype (i.e. the ceramic coating) and simply use normal car wax when needed over the entire car (i.e. even over the Xpel areas) . Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #27
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I gave the ceramic a pass; ive not tried it but from what i gather it can help against swirls and fine scratches... but it needs to be redone periodically. i'm just going to use a good wax every so often. Maybe ill double up on the waxing on the non-xpel areas.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #28
UNCM2
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 z4m401,'22 M440i, ,23ixM60

Garage List
Quote:
..oh, and they said they will remove that little pce of factory film just in front of the rear wheels before they start. They also advised against doing the cerium grey bits.

Dave
Interesting. Just traded my '18 M2 and '07 Z4 on a black sapphire M40i. The shop that did my M2 and does all the local dealers recommended doing the cerium grey bits because afterwards it won't show every fingerprint??? Since it is being done as we speak, I will let you know how it turns out. Have the same trim on my X6 and it drives me insane attempting to keep the cerium grey bits looking clean and un-smeared.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #29
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCM2 View Post
Interesting. Just traded my '18 M2 and '07 Z4 on a black sapphire M40i. The shop that did my M2 and does all the local dealers recommended doing the cerium grey bits because afterwards it won't show every fingerprint??? Since it is being done as we speak, I will let you know how it turns out. Have the same trim on my X6 and it drives me insane attempting to keep the cerium grey bits looking clean and un-smeared.
Yeah, definitely let me know what you think. The shop that did mine also does all the local BMW dealers work and they said they could do it but that it changes the way the Cerium grey looks as it isn't a full gloss.
I'd be interested in what you think of it.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #30
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
..oh, and they said they will remove that little pce of factory film just in front of the rear wheels before they start. They also advised against doing the cerium grey bits.

Dave
Cerium grey is horrible to keep clean. Bugs, dirt and grime from road, ...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #31
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Dave
Cerium grey is horrible to keep clean. Bugs, dirt and grime from road, ...
I gave up on keeping it clean. Whatever is left after the regular car wash it is...
      08-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #32
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
I gave up on keeping it clean. Whatever is left after the regular car wash it is...
Same here. Read the other week in the Chicago Tribune auto column that wet dryer sheets are supposed to be great for removing bugs. Haven't tried it yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #33
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Had X Pel Installed before delivery

My dealer installed the X Pel film on the front 1/3 of the hood and all of the bumper cover parts and mirrors. People dont see it unless I point it out. Looks great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #34
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
I gave the ceramic a pass; ive not tried it but from what i gather it can help against swirls and fine scratches... but it needs to be redone periodically. i'm just going to use a good wax every so often. Maybe ill double up on the waxing on the non-xpel areas.
FYI, I ended up going with Llumar paint protection and I think it looks great. Pretty much covered what you did but saved a bunch over what the Xpel shops wanted here in Colorado (which was considerably more than it cost you). It was offered through my BMW dealer but applied by a really good in house (at my dealer) contractor. Llumar and Suntek are owned by the same parent company and it is my understanding their latest product (Llumar Platinum) are identical. It was introduced with a 10 year warranty this spring. Anyway, if anyone out there knows their local Llumar shop does a good job with installation and the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #35
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
When my Z4 arrives, I am going to have the entire car done in XPEL Stealth at the XPEL home in San Antonio. It is not cheap - $6500 - but I think it is well worth it for peace of mind, ease of maintenance, and preservation of the frozen paint.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #36
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWz4

In my research some say the spelling film somewhat dulls the paint is this true
Appreciate 0