BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum ▀▄ eas | 2020 Z4 M40i Baseline dyno - Dynojet

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
tom @ eas
Lieutenant General
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3924
Rep
16,142
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
▀▄ eas | 2020 Z4 M40i Baseline dyno - Dynojet

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just wanted to share some baseline numbers for a new 2020 Z4 M40i on our dynojet. Peak numbers are 381/381, closely matching BMW's BHP ratings.

* Numbers are at the wheels, on 91 octane.






More to come..
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 5
-cj-38.50
clee1982511.00

      09-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
gheumann
New Member
gheumann's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i, 2018 540i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wine Country, CA

iTrader: (0)

You're measuring at the rear wheels, yes? Then I'd say they're better than BMWs numbers which are presumably just the engine?
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
DPelletier
Second Lieutenant
Canada
210
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheumann View Post
You're measuring at the rear wheels, yes? Then I'd say they're better than BMWs numbers which are presumably just the engine?
Yep, I assumed that's what he was trying to say?...... 15% driveline loss would put it at around 448hp net flywheel and 10% would put it at 424hp net flywheel. Good numbers in any case. :-)

Funny thing was when I first test drove an M40i and was worried about the power compared to my V8 Ftype, the sales manager said that BMW typically underrates their engines and that the net flywheel rating would be what I could expect at the rear wheels.....guess he was right on the money. Car certainly felt faster than I expected though the 400lb weight advantage vs. my F type was responsible for some of that...

Dave
Appreciate 1
clee1982511.00

      09-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
ToysArs
Enlisted Member
23
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lake Forest, CA

iTrader: (0)

Is it confirmed those numbers are at the wheels? Pretty impressive if true
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
tom @ eas
Lieutenant General
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3924
Rep
16,142
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysArs View Post
Is it confirmed those numbers are at the wheels? Pretty impressive if true
Yes, this is at the wheels, 91 octane.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
ToysArs
Enlisted Member
23
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lake Forest, CA

iTrader: (0)

That is impressive!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
mecheng77
Major
mecheng77's Avatar
336
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i JBlk
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Why does Bmw consistently do this? Insurance, regulation, laws?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
gds52
Colonel
gds52's Avatar
654
Rep
2,462
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Why does Bmw consistently do this? Insurance, regulation, laws?
Maybe because BMW knows no matter what, there are ppl who will tune the engines. So give them some room for fun without getting engines blown.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
Gdiddy23
Private
56
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: '15 F30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: St. Paul, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I know some say this car looks like a frog but I disagree. I love that grey color. Porsche's look like 'frogs' but you never hear anybody ripping on those?
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
tommytexter
Private First Class
tommytexter's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340ix
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

I assume M340i xdrive is going to less because of awd. Maybe 350~360hp at wheel.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
BMWKing123
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 800+ HP C7 Z06, X1 28i, M998
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Do you think it will pick up any power with 93 octane?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
4293
Rep
2,816
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Like any other bimmer, always more HP then advertise

Surprised nobody came up with % how much more so we can stop doing dyno's. Lol
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 1
M 4EVER186.50

      09-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
sittingmongoose
First Lieutenant
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
384
Posts

Drives: 2016 YM M3 (on order)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
I assume M340i xdrive is going to less because of awd. Maybe 350~360hp at wheel.
Bmw doesn't reduce the power of their awd cars like ford does. They know how to make powertrains that don't blow up with stock power...
__________________
On order: 2016 AYM M3
exec, driver assist, lights, susp, black wheels
Previous
08 e90 M3 and 02 e46 M3
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
tommytexter
Private First Class
tommytexter's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340ix
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
I assume M340i xdrive is going to less because of awd. Maybe 350~360hp at wheel.
Do you think it will pick up any power with 93 octane?
I have no idea. I am just bullsh1tting
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
tommytexter
Private First Class
tommytexter's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340ix
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
I assume M340i xdrive is going to less because of awd. Maybe 350~360hp at wheel.
Bmw doesn't reduce the power of their awd cars like ford does. They know how to make powertrains that don't blow up with stock power...
I mean AWD drivetrains loss is more than RWD
__________________
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
BMWKing123
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 800+ HP C7 Z06, X1 28i, M998
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
I assume M340i xdrive is going to less because of awd. Maybe 350~360hp at wheel.
Do you think it will pick up any power with 93 octane?
I have no idea. I am just bullsh1tting
Sorry, didn't mean to quote you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
sittingmongoose
First Lieutenant
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
384
Posts

Drives: 2016 YM M3 (on order)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if bmw will detune these cars later on like they did the new 340 and the Supra?
__________________
On order: 2016 AYM M3
exec, driver assist, lights, susp, black wheels
Previous
08 e90 M3 and 02 e46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #18
tommytexter
Private First Class
tommytexter's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340ix
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Markham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
I assume M340i xdrive is going to less because of awd. Maybe 350~360hp at wheel.
Do you think it will pick up any power with 93 octane?
I have no idea. I am just bullsh1tting
Sorry, didn't mean to quote you.
No problem
__________________
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
tom @ eas
Lieutenant General
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3924
Rep
16,142
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKing123 View Post
Do you think it will pick up any power with 93 octane?
Absolutely. 91 has been terrible lately.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
G-M5
Private First Class
50
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Nice !!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2179
Rep
3,610
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
I wonder if bmw will detune these cars later on like they did the new 340 and the Supra?
What do you mean? Like early models have more HP than later ones?

You mean measured, not rated right?
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, APEX EC-7
Instagram: @brandonsclean3
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #22
MartinS
Lieutenant
MartinS's Avatar
Denmark
96
Rep
500
Posts

Drives: 435d & M5 F90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheumann View Post
You're measuring at the rear wheels, yes? Then I'd say they're better than BMWs numbers which are presumably just the engine?
Yep, I assumed that's what he was trying to say?...... 15% driveline loss would put it at around 448hp net flywheel and 10% would put it at 424hp net flywheel. Good numbers in any case. :-)

Funny thing was when I first test drove an M40i and was worried about the power compared to my V8 Ftype, the sales manager said that BMW typically underrates their engines and that the net flywheel rating would be what I could expect at the rear wheels.....guess he was right on the money. Car certainly felt faster than I expected though the 400lb weight advantage vs. my F type was responsible for some of that...

Dave
Why do people say the loss in % in the transmission?
15% on a 1000hp engine would be 150hp loss but only 15hp loss in a 100hp engine.

My M4 has about 64hp loss in the driveline. That would be 64hp loss nomatter how many hp it has, right?
__________________
http://www.niiice.dk/signatur_2010.jpg
435d xDrive & M5 F90 Frozen dark silver metallic
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST