BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Sell now for LCI?

11-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #23
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoneinvt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
I tend to agree. Seeing as the 2021's are the last to have all equipment and unimpacted by the chip shortage, their value would be higher than the 2022 or 2023's. Make no mistake, when the chip shortage is abated, the used market will subside; that is unless inflation continues into the double digits like the late 1970's under Carter.
Well mine will be a unicorn then as it has every option and nothing has been deleted from my 2022. Hope to be picking it up Monday or Tuesday next week. If I have a bit of luck.
Congrats! The last 24 to 48 hours are the worst wait ever. What do you mean it's here but you have nobody available to prepare it for delivery until tomorrow????

But picking it up is like Christmas and Easter on the same day.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #24
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
The HK system gets a bad reputation, perhaps it is because people are playing music from FM radio stations. I rarely play music from FM radio and have been ripping my CD's to my computer then transfer them to my iPhone using ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) aka hi-res audio which while slightly compressed does not affect the quality of the sound from compression and sounds like the original source. FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is similar to ALAC and many use it to store music on Android devices.

Apple Music is currently in the process of moving their entire music catalogue over to both CD quality (requires more storage space on a hard drive) and ALAC so in the future I won't have to rip my CD's.

It makes a difference and the HK system has a great sound.
I've been using the native Spotify app. More than content with base qualitywise but even louder could be good. Will give HK due consideration next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #25
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Quote:
The HK system gets a bad reputation, perhaps it is because people are playing music from FM radio stations. I rarely play music from FM radio and have been ripping my CD's to my computer then transfer them to my iPhone using ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) aka hi-res audio which while slightly compressed does not affect the quality of the sound from compression and sounds like the original source. FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is similar to ALAC and many use it to store music on Android devices.

Apple Music is currently in the process of moving their entire music catalogue over to both CD quality (requires more storage space on a hard drive) and ALAC so in the future I won't have to rip my CD's.

It makes a difference and the HK system has a great sound.
I've been using the native Spotify app. More than content with base qualitywise but even louder could be good. Will give HK due consideration next time.
The lossless audio is a major factor in the fabulous quality of the sound. Volume is a separate issue.

Last edited by Westside Guy; 11-27-2021 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: removed duplicate quote
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6232.50
james1131.00
      11-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #26
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I agree that there will probably be some new colors and in addition new wheel options offered. The headlights and taillights and front grill might get a slight update as well as the interior trim.

The question is with all of the chip shortages will they be adding iDrive 8?
Already stated no iDrive 8
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #27
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Congrats! The last 24 to 48 hours are the worst wait ever. What do you mean it's here but you have nobody available to prepare it for delivery until tomorrow????

No it’s released to trucking company but not at my dealer yet my guess is it’s taking a while to get a full truck up to Vermont.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #28
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

No it’s released to trucking company but not at my dealer yet my guess is it’s taking a while to get a full truck up to Vermont.

They have to fill up the trailer and many of the auto transporters are busy taking cars for the snowbirds South to places like Florida.

Last edited by Westside Guy; 11-27-2021 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: removed duplicate quote
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #29
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I tend to agree. Seeing as the 2021's are the last to have all equipment and unimpacted by the chip shortage, their value would be higher than the 2022 or 2023's. Make no mistake, when the chip shortage is abated, the used market will subside; that is unless inflation continues into the double digits like the late 1970's under Carter.
I have a 2022 that came from a dealer’s lot that had everything except active cruise control. When this car was originally ordered ACC was available so there are some early 2022’s in the wild that do have all of the equipment and were not affected by the chip shortage.
Appreciate 1
Rotherd311148.00
      11-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #30
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I have a 2022 that came from a dealer’s lot that had everything except active cruise control. When this car was originally ordered ACC was available so there are some early 2022’s in the wild that do have all of the equipment and were not affected by the chip shortage.
I understand that. I also know there were 2022's on the road BEFORE I received my 2021.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:42 PM   #31
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand that. I also know there were 2022's on the road BEFORE I received my 2021.
Perhaps a vessel carried an early production load of 2022's destined for a particular region? My car came from Allentown, PA. and my dealer in Ft. Lauderdale trucked it down to Florida.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #32
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Because the spy pics indicate there will be few changes, I figure the chances I won't like the LCI car are slim. But yes, always possible and I would hate to get rid of mine and be without one or having to re-buy a used one I like.

If the spy pics are real, it's definitely more than just color combo changes - or why the camouflage. Not like one can't tell it's a Z4.
I look at it like this;

- If there are few changes, why "upgrade"?

- If there are signficant changes, I'm not convinced that I would like them due to the direction they've gone with the 4 series, etc.

.....either way, I'm not seeing any incentive to get rid of a car I like for one that is either substantially the same or different and maybe not in a good way. Couple all that with the loss of options currently and I'd definitely not be interested in selling my car for something unknown.

Dave
Appreciate 2
CeEl477.50
      11-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #33
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Quote:
Well mine will be a unicorn then as it has every option and nothing has been deleted from my 2022. Hope to be picking it up Monday or Tuesday next week. If I have a bit of luck.
So it arrived today and I took a ride up to check it out and looks like I got mine ordered at just the right time as no options were shown as deleted. I’ll attach the window sticker hope it is legible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CJ4211447.00
stlcdr974.50
      11-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #34
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Great News! When will you be able to take it home?

Almost time to

I guess mine will be a unicorn too as mine also has all of the options with no delitions. But yours made it to the US before mine. Mine is currently heading for the UK for a short layover. Next stop is Panama.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #35
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Quote:
Because the spy pics indicate there will be few changes, I figure the chances I won't like the LCI car are slim. But yes, always possible and I would hate to get rid of mine and be without one or having to re-buy a used one I like.

If the spy pics are real, it's definitely more than just color combo changes - or why the camouflage. Not like one can't tell it's a Z4.
I look at it like this;

- If there are few changes, why "upgrade"?

- If there are signficant changes, I'm not convinced that I would like them due to the direction they've gone with the 4 series, etc.

.....either way, I'm not seeing any incentive to get rid of a car I like for one that is either substantially the same or different and maybe not in a good way. Couple all that with the loss of options currently and I'd definitely not be interested in selling my car for something unknown.

Dave
Thanks for your perspective.

For me, it's not so much an upgrade but getting one of the last new cars at the end of an era (convertible/roadster with combustion engine).
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #36
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Daughters lease came due and local dealer had two X3's on lot, Zero (0) 3-Series! (Rochester BMW, Michigan). She put a deposit on an "in production" X3, delivery in 4 weeks. Per dealer, the chip shortage has created some "one off" vehicles that are missing power passenger seats (these cars have -$100 or such on window sticker), most 4-series have manual seats, some touchscreens are not in vehicles, etc. Can't negotiate off MSRP yet the dealers are paying for your leases! Just bought Wife a Land Rover, dealer would not come off MSRP, yet they gave us $5,000 for our Jaguar lease return. Figured in 3 years when lease is due, the chip shortage will be better and if prices climb too high, we have a nice buyout of lease. As far as inflation, on Friday the Fed indicated inflation may not be transitionary and the bond tapering would stop sooner than later. This cratered market on a shortened holiday trading. I lived the Carter inflation, it was very painful. Sure, I got 10-15% raises, yet it was always behind the actual inflation. But how does a government reduce the debt, inflate your way out of it! Let's hope they stop this outrageous spending... I was purchasing some items for my BMW Motorcycle, the major supplier , Wunderlich, said prices increasing 10-20% at first of year. We needed new carpet for our home, we were informed company is raising prices 20% effective Jan 1. Co-worker who owns a farm, his feed for animals is up this year over 100% and same for fertilizer and pesticides.

Therefore, I think prices of used cars will equalize to previous levels, however, inflation may keep them up at same "actual" dollar amounts. New vehicles are going to go up significantly, maybe at some time in future, we will be able to negotiate to the "$500 over invoice goal" again but that is at least 12 months out. I have pondered ordering a new vehicle as the Z4 as I can sell my present vehicle for more than I bought it and have something newer before the inflationary pressures skyrocket MSRP values. Based upon past experience, inflation will drive the costs up over next 2-3 years quite a bit. Just as a reference, My father bought a fully loaded 1977 Pontiac Trans-Am (think Smokie and the Bandit) for $5,500. My first new car, a 1985 Trans-Am was just over $11,000. Prices doubled in 8 years. So IMHO, upgrading now is not such a bad idea.

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 2
CJ4211447.00
CeEl477.50
      12-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #37
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Daughters lease came due and local dealer had two X3's on lot, Zero (0) 3-Series! (Rochester BMW, Michigan). She put a deposit on an "in production" X3, delivery in 4 weeks. Per dealer, the chip shortage has created some "one off" vehicles that are missing power passenger seats (these cars have -$100 or such on window sticker), most 4-series have manual seats, some touchscreens are not in vehicles, etc. Can't negotiate off MSRP yet the dealers are paying for your leases! Just bought Wife a Land Rover, dealer would not come off MSRP, yet they gave us $5,000 for our Jaguar lease return. Figured in 3 years when lease is due, the chip shortage will be better and if prices climb too high, we have a nice buyout of lease. As far as inflation, on Friday the Fed indicated inflation may not be transitionary and the bond tapering would stop sooner than later. This cratered market on a shortened holiday trading. I lived the Carter inflation, it was very painful. Sure, I got 10-15% raises, yet it was always behind the actual inflation. But how does a government reduce the debt, inflate your way out of it! Let's hope they stop this outrageous spending... I was purchasing some items for my BMW Motorcycle, the major supplier , Wunderlich, said prices increasing 10-20% at first of year. We needed new carpet for our home, we were informed company is raising prices 20% effective Jan 1. Co-worker who owns a farm, his feed for animals is up this year over 100% and same for fertilizer and pesticides.

Therefore, I think prices of used cars will equalize to previous levels, however, inflation may keep them up at same "actual" dollar amounts. New vehicles are going to go up significantly, maybe at some time in future, we will be able to negotiate to the "$500 over invoice goal" again but that is at least 12 months out. I have pondered ordering a new vehicle as the Z4 as I can sell my present vehicle for more than I bought it and have something newer before the inflationary pressures skyrocket MSRP values. Based upon past experience, inflation will drive the costs up over next 2-3 years quite a bit. Just as a reference, My father bought a fully loaded 1977 Pontiac Trans-Am (think Smokie and the Bandit) for $5,500. My first new car, a 1985 Trans-Am was just over $11,000. Prices doubled in 8 years. So IMHO, upgrading now is not such a bad idea.
I was alive during the Cater era and vaguely recollect the bitching my old man did waiting in long fuel lines to pay $0.80/ gallon for gas. Reference being gas was $0.35/ gallon in 73-74 and doubled by 78-79.

Wash, rinse, repeat. What vicious cycle.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #38
pinky2022
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw Z4 M40i

Quote:
Caravana would apparently give me about $60k for my 2020 Z4 M40i, pretty much fully loaded. A new fully loaded Z4 M40i is a bit over $70k. My car is about 2.5 years old at this point.

Wondering if anyone is considering selling their Z4 now since the used car prices are so high, and then order a LCI which are going to introduced in about 1 year and available in Spring 2023 apparently?

It’s going to be one of the last cars of its kind (convertible roadster with combustion engine), so really itching to get the latest and greatest one and keeping it for a while.

80K for a new one with tax, ....
It depends on your state tax laws. Here in FL you get a tax credit for that 60K if it is a trade in, ....

That said I sold my Nissan 370Z 2017 (not to carvana) for the same price I paid in 2017, .... so I did sell it
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #39
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Quote:
Correct Westside. Mine is one of them. ACC and all the goodies.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #40
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
So it arrived today and I took a ride up to check it out and looks like I got mine ordered at just the right time as no options were shown as deleted. I’ll attach the window sticker hope it is legible.
Oh, that is the color I like! I test drove the Z4 3.0 with the Misano Blue/White combination, what a stunner! Yet the 2.0L was not enough ponies for my taste, the Z4 4.0M was not out yet when I had to get something. Active Cruise Control, that is a great feature! It is great in traffic jams... just steer! Yes, you ordered at the right time!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #41
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2022 View Post
Quote:
Caravana would apparently give me about $60k for my 2020 Z4 M40i, pretty much fully loaded. A new fully loaded Z4 M40i is a bit over $70k. My car is about 2.5 years old at this point.

Wondering if anyone is considering selling their Z4 now since the used car prices are so high, and then order a LCI which are going to introduced in about 1 year and available in Spring 2023 apparently?

It’s going to be one of the last cars of its kind (convertible roadster with combustion engine), so really itching to get the latest and greatest one and keeping it for a while.

80K for a new one with tax, ....
It depends on your state tax laws. Here in FL you get a tax credit for that 60K if it is a trade in, ....

That said I sold my Nissan 370Z 2017 (not to carvana) for the same price I paid in 2017, .... so I did sell it
Yes, but who knows what the trade in value is going to be in a year+ time frame? If it's significantly lower, the tax credit isn't going to make up for it. Plus I save on insurance, …

But unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse, I doubt I'll sell. I am not actively seeking offers.

The car is my drug.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #42
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Oh, that is the color I like! I test drove the Z4 3.0 with the Misano Blue/White combination, what a stunner! Yet the 2.0L was not enough ponies for my taste, the Z4 4.0M was not out yet when I had to get something. Active Cruise Control, that is a great feature! It is great in traffic jams... just steer! Yes, you ordered at the right time!
If my car wasn’t already at a dealer’s lot and I had placed an order from Austria I definitely would have added the ACC. I agree it is a great feature for heavy traffic whether it be on the highway or local streets.

When I ordered my car the end of August the talk about the chip issues were starting to appear online and I didn’t want to wait and take a chance to receive a car with less features.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #43
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but who knows what the trade in value is going to be in a year+ time frame? If it's significantly lower, the tax credit isn't going to make up for it. Plus I save on insurance, …

But unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse, I doubt I'll sell. I am not actively seeking offers.

The car is my drug.
Think about what a fabulous rush you get when it is in Sport Plus mode!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:11 AM   #44
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I would be worried that the LCI somehow uglifies something in the styling.

Wish I could order another because I would... Although I would not accept it if anything was deleted. I kick myself each day I traded my Z4...

Rob
Appreciate 3
CeEl477.50