BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum BMW Unveils the new BMW Z4 M40i at Pebble Beach

08-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #45
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
looks great except for these bits. anyone have any guesses as to what they are and why they are there? they look weird to me.
Its another BMW styling element that looks horrible in photos and probably not so bad at all In person
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #46
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Appreciate 1
Racer201029.50
      08-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #47
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
It's a underrated figure no doubt.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one.
340 is the European model. 380 is the NA model.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #48
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

I think it looks fantastic. Going to have to drive one next summer.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #49
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeorge0049 View Post
Quote:
It's a underrated figure no doubt.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one.
340 is the European model. 380 is the NA model.
I wonder if that is due to restrictions.
      08-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #50
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

BMW’s Lukiest designer

https://www.motoring.com.au/bmws-luk...signer-114214/

Quote:
August 24, 2018

How an Australian turned around the soul of BMW’s most design-oriented car

Sydney designer Calvin Luk didn’t hesitate when he was asked to revive the BMW Z4 roadster, which had become a stodgy, overweight shadow of its original self.

He knew, because the BMW Z4 was close to his heart. He owned one. Not just as a company car, but with his own cash.

Luk, 31, drives an original E85 Z4 as his personal transport around Munich and, besides, it was his parents’ purchase of an E36 BMW 3 Series that hooked him on car design in the first place.

“All of these cars are very personal to me,” Luk told motoring.com.au in an exclusive interview in a Bavarian photographic studio last month.

“One of our family friends got a Z3 when I was a kid and the designer of that car is now a mentor of mine.

“The Z8 is from the Bond film and that’s a big influence here, [so is] this E89 Z4 that my parents have and the Z4 that I use. I feel like I grew up with these cars.”

As soon as BMW’s engineering team took the decision to move the driver forward to tackle the Porsche 718 Boxster’s handling advantages, Luk felt like the 2000-2003 Z8’s proportions could make a comeback.

“The Z8 proportions, you can see here. The lights are high up on the kidney grilles, like the Z8. Further down, we have the lowest kidney within BMW to ground it,” Luk explained.

“We got the classical roadster proportions but we moved the driver a bit more forward to give them a more focused driving experience.

“There is also just enough of the shark-nose lean in the front and the bonnet is really low so it’s attacking the road.

“The wedge makes it very different to the previous two generations. This wedge really pronounces the pouncing feel.”

Messing with tradition

Luk was also given license inside BMW to push the boundaries of its traditional design language, which has been criticised in the design community for holding the company’s cars back.

“The design does not have to play exactly by all the rules because it’s a roadster,” Luk explained.

“We still have the double round headlights, but they are vertically stacked and that’s the first time we have done that.”

The grille itself is initially quite confronting, though Luk believes its subtleties will help the Z4 age better than its predecessor.

“The Z8 is more of a retro idea and we went for a mesh in the grille (in place of the vertical slats) because it’s more contemporary,” said Luk.

“There is still the verticality of the kidney bars that we show, but it’s sub-divided now.

“It’s also mimicking the Mille Miglia car. Get closer to it and they [the individual components in the grille] are like mini-aeroplanes in the sculpting.”

There are other tricks up front, too. Though the car is still (like all cars today) cursed by the little circles of the parking sensors, the radar has been carefully hidden, to the point where you can’t find it even if you’re looking for it.

“The radar does not stand out. It’s integrated into the design of the air intakes for the brakes on the M Sport model,” Luk said.

“It is a duct for the brakes and air curtains on the side, like all BMWs, so you can’t see it.

“Those Parking Distance Control circles: they all work with specific angles so we can’t change them. The engineers dictate where they go for optimal coverage. Every designer hates them.”

The side view

There is something strong and cohesive about the Z4’s side view, but it doesn’t immediately hit you until Luk explains it.

“There is one key line on the car from the side. It runs from the bottom of the clamshell bonnet at the (front) wheel all the way along the side and into the tail lights,” he said.

“It’s extremely three-dimensional. With that one line we can play a lot with variations in the surface.

“It’s facing down from the wheel before and it starts twisting, so the shadow goes away and it turns into the shoulder line.

“From the back it’s easy to see how the line twists and flips into the muscle of the rear wheel arch.”

There’s a light catcher along the door sills to ground the car’s visual look and the M40i scores a little extra notch in its air breather that will separate it from lesser Z4s.

The car runs a lot of sculpting over the rear wheels, primarily to add to its muscle and to visually enlarge the rear wheels.

“We always try playing the lines pretty close to the wheels to make the wheels bigger optically,” Luk admitted.

“That’s how we play to the proportions of the car. That’s always the start of it. How much fender muscle do we want and how we squeeze it?

“It seems to work with the X cars better but with a sports car we want to squeeze it down a bit.

“The muscle above the rear wheel is to get the mass to look lower.”

The back-end

Luk was given more scope to fiddle with the BMW design legacy at the rear-end, where he turned the compulsory L-shaped tail-lights into something more three-dimensional than usual.

“The L has much more depth than we usually have. They are very slim with no shade line. This is the new design language for the brand.”

It’s a critical point for Luk, which has set him up for a strong future at BMW as the last people to set the design language for BMW were Chris Bangle and current BMW design boss Adrian van Hooydonk.

The language will debut on both the Z4 and the new 8 Series at about the same time, with super slim tail-lights.

But that’s not all that sets the rear-end apart from its predecessor’s.

“We also place the rear fog lamp in the centre, like a Formula 1 car, and the brake light is smoked to place the emphasis on the rear lights,” Luk explained.

“The boot is plastic, because this shape is impossible to press in metal.”

The roof

There have been plenty of additions to the new BMW Z4, but one major subtraction: the roof.

The outgoing car’s folding metal roof has gone, saving about 50kg and helping enormously with the car’s proportions.

The cloth roof isn’t as short or stumpy as the original, either, but looks sleeker, like a coupe shape, when it’s fixed.

“The roofline has a faster angle at the back than before. It’s about a two-three ratio to the glasshouse length,” Luk said.

“The roof is a special material and the standard is black but there’s also an optional material like denim.

“From the beginning, we knew we were going to do a soft-top. That made it easier.”

The interior

The interior makes, if anything, a bigger step forward than the exterior and though it wasn’t Luk’s work, he’s enthusiastic about it.

“The cockpit is really cool. The accents all pull you into the instrument cluster. All the switch gear is all focused on the driver.

“It’s much more minimal on the copilot side, but it’s very sculpted in front of them. It’s still exciting but not cluttered.”

The downside is that everything that looks like metal inside the cabin is actually galvanised plastic, and metal can’t be ordered as an option.

There are two 10.3-inch screens, including the instrument cluster, and it’s the first BMW roadster to score a full head-up display as an option.

The two cup-holders are hidden, somewhat awkwardly, back near the driver’s elbow, and there are two ambient light strips that direct the eye towards the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #51
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
My understanding - subject to correction by others who know for sure - is that European emissions restrictions are stricter than those in the US, resulting in the horsepower difference.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 2
ZHPsedan135.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      08-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #52
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Absolutely zero BMW is this car
This statement makes zero sense to me. Toyota fans should be saying there is Zero Toyota in their Supra.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
otay826.00
      08-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #53
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
My understanding - subject to correction by others who know for sure - is that European emissions restrictions are stricter than those in the US, resulting in the horsepower difference.
Well I'll be damned.
We've finally reached a point where US spec engines are more powerful than their European equivalents

On a side note not really feeling the bug eye look or "fake" exhaust tips.
Besides the lack of a manual option, this is also probably the first BMW roadster where "cute" could be used to describe it...and that's not a good thing.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #54
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

any word on the B58 getting paired with a manual? Any manual option at all?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #55
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

BMW Z4 designer Calvin Luk on the new roadster's look

Quote:
New BMW Z4 is here, and we've spoken to the man in charge of its design

BMW’s reborn roadster sets the tone for a new era of design language for the brand, according to the Z4’s exterior designer, Calvin Luk.

“The new design language on this and the 8 Series is about minimising line work,” he explained. “The philosophy is a couple of major lines coupled with softer lines.” For example, the wedge line is a major line on the Z4 and exists alongside softer lines, Luk explained.

BMW’s well-known kidney grille has been designed with a new mesh on the Z4; this is expected to filter into other BMW models. “It has the vertical bars of the BMW motif, but in a mesh form of mini aeroplanes. It’s reminiscent of the 328 Mille Miglia race car,” Luk said.

The Z4 has also reinterpreted BMW’s 'double-round' lights, stacking them on top of each other — something that hasn’t been done on any BMW previously. He continued: “The stacked lights were decided in the sketch phase. It felt more exotic and sports car-like. The lights are high and the kidney grille is low.”

Luk also focused on making the Z4 more driver-focused given the wider remit of the third-generation Z line-up to be far more dynamic behind the wheel than its predecessor. “The wheelbase is slightly shorter, but we’ve brought the driver forward a little to bring the focus back to him/her. Before, the hood was a bit too long. It’s still a long bonnet, which identifies it as a BMW roadster, but it’s a little shorter than before.”

At the rear, BMW has tried to create a really wide stance. There are 3D sculpted lights that are in one piece (meaning no shut lines), an integrated rear spoiler and, in the top-of-the-range M40i, a quad exhaust.

Luk said the biggest challenge designing the Z4 was at the front end: “Every project has unique challenges, but the front end tends to be the most problematic because of required crash structures. For example, we tried to get the kidneys as low as possible, but we would probably have put them even lower if it weren’t for other considerations.”

And despite the Z4's partnership with the upcoming Toyota Supra, Luk said the design teams haven't liaised. He said: “The Supra was a really independent operation. I’ve never spoken to anyone at Toyota during the design of the Z4.”
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...roadsters-look
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #56
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
That's what I thinking
      08-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #57
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Really don't like the practice of putting an M alone on the side of the car. It's not a Z4M. Similar to the M240i, which also has a lone M on the sides. Misleading. Leave a solo M for the full M cars.
Appreciate 3
Law6377.00
Alexxxx52.00
      08-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #58
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Would buy. Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #59
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manni22gp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimshalukhin View Post
Looks way too similar to the Kia stinger
Yes, real tragedy that it's a similar shade of red... Where is it even having a resemblance?
Seriously? Looks so much the same it took me more than a glance to figure which was which.
gtrsam222.00
      08-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #60
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I wish the generic front end was even half as good as the back end looks. :
      08-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #61
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I want to know wheel specs. They look good and I'm curious how they would fit on a 2er.
      08-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #62
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Shrink it overall by 10%, offer a coupe variant, slash $10K off the price... and I'll hurry down for a test drive.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #63
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added our live looks from Pebble Beach.

Z4 M40i Live From Pebble Beach

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #64
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Characterless design...

The old Z3 and Z4 has personality. This doesn't.
      08-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #65
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Overall not too shabby. Only complaints are those random black bits on the front bumper that were already mentioned and those lines on the hood make no sense to me. The rear end is a bit bulky and tall compared to the rest of the car too IMO. I really wish they had kept the sharper corner of the headlights on the concept. It made the car look so much wider and more aggressive.

How do people feel about the iDrive screen in the dash? Do you prefer it to be integrated into the design with large asymmetric bezels like this, or do you prefer a rectangular tablet-looking screen with minimal bezels?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #66
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Absolutely zero BMW is this car
So true. I look at this and don't recognize it as a BMW not even with those kidney grill things. I've always loved every z car until this one

After crazy rich asians, it will be interesting to see how this car which is designed and marketed exclusively to Asian tastes will do for BMW

Personally I think they made a big mistake since the result is generic and non German. That's why people buy bmws, because they are German
Appreciate 0