BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum My Z4 M40i vs. SLC43AMG vs. Boxster S comparison

06-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
My Z4 M40i vs. SLC43AMG vs. Boxster S comparison

After reading a few similar comparisons, I thought I'd add my own in the hope it may assist anyone considering these cars. My first list also had the Audi TT-S and Jaguar F type on it but these were eliminated early on; the F type because I already own one and I wanted something smaller and lighter and the Audi because it does nothing for me visually.

I started with the SLC as we've purchased five vehicles from our local MB dealer and we've always been treated very well. We currently own a 2006 SLK350 that my wife drives occasionally so the SLC is an improved version of that car. I found the SLC to be very luxurious with a ton of cool features (air scarf, magic sky control, etc.). Interior styling was nice but getting very dated. Power was very good from the Bi-Turbo V6 as was the accompanying soundtrack. Shifting was very good too (far better than the mushy 7 spd auto in our old SLK).....on the flip side, styling was very dated, while the car was small it was also heavy. The folding metal roof also takes up valuable trunk space and for us the metal roof was a negative (given our use - mostly top down) for weight, complexity and higher center of gravity. Basically the SLC ticked most of our boxes on paper but was less inspiring to drive and look at than the other two cars.

Next up was the Boxster S. I've been interested in the Boxster for some time but really wasn't keen on the changes made from the 981 to the 718....mostly the swap to the 2.5l 4 cyl from the old flat 6. I actually found a used 2015 Boxster 981 GTS and almost bought it but it was missing some "must have" options (like every Porsche unless you order one) and it was quite expensive for a 5 year old used car. Anyhow, we took out a new Boxster S for a good drive. Driving dynamics and steering were excellent, PDK shifted great though it felt a bit clunky at low (parking lot) speeds, engine was just OK: more power than I expected (light weight always helps) but less than the SLC or Z4 and the sound wasn't as good. I've always found the Boxster to be appealing visually - especially from the front, a bit less so from the rear. Interior was nice, not quite as luxurious as the SLC and felt dated compared to the Z4 but certainly very nice.

Next up was the Z4. I honestly hadn't considered a BMW previously as I didnt' find the previous versions of the Z4's particularly attractive. The new Z4 looked vastly improved to my eye and I found the styling and proportions to be very attractive. Taking it for a test drive, the dynamics and steering were very good; not quite as sharp as the Boxster but much closer than I expected. The engine was great; good power and great sound. The ZF didn't disappoint either (I have one in my F type as well). The interior was very nice, fresh and modern with the most up to date feel.

SLC43AMG Pros:
- very luxurious
- nice size
- good power and sound

SLC43AMG Cons:
- dated styling
- heavy for it's tiny size
- mushy dynamics compared to the other two
- huge loss of trunk space and functionality when the top is down

Boxster S Pros:
- sharp steering, handling and dynamics
- light weight
- attractive looks

Boxster S Cons:
- sounds like my son's Subaru
- styling is a bit dated both inside and out

Z4 M40i Pros:
- visually very attractive
- modern, well appointed interior packed with tech
- great engine, power and sound
- new, fresh design

Z4 M40i Cons:
- handling and steering not quite as sharp as the Boxster
- it would be nicer if it was 200 lbs lighter

Prices as tested;

- SLC43AMG. While a new 2019 is priced almost identically to the Z4M40i, our dealer had a left over 2018 for an excellent price: $78,500.00 Can, out the door.

- The Boxster S was well equipped but even with less options than the others, it's price was a hefty $132,500.00 Can.

- The Z4 with every option available was $93,725.00 Can.

All three cars are great cars.....the SLC couldn't compete with either the Boxster or Z4 from a dynamic standpoint and since it is due to be discontinued and given the dated styling, it was eliminated from consideration.

The Boxster S is a great car and I have a soft spot for them. If they still used the old flat 6, I would have had a much harder decision but despite it's light weight and great driving dynamics, I didn't find the engine inspiring in any way. Given this and the truly massive price premium for the Porsche, I (somewhat reluctantly) scratched it off the list.

...which left the Z4 M40i which I feel is a great car offering stunning looks, great performance and sound with a fresh feel and providing great value. My Z4 M40i should arrive in another week or so and hopefully we will enjoy this car for a few years at least.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 3
CeEl477.50
Jim S385.00
      06-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Eric500
um...
Rep
Drives: LC500

Great write up, look forward to seeing pictures!

This matches what the reviews say, but with a more obvious conclusion. The Boxster is just not worth the money for the interior and options.

Sure, you could get a base boxster with 2 way manual seats and no keyless entry... in exchange for say 10% better performance? But to live with daily, Z4 is a better overall package and you're better off investing the extra money!
      06-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Thanks. The Boxster may be worth the huge premium for some but it wasn't for me...If it had a 6 cyl, I'd have been willing to pay more for it but perhaps not THAT much more.

Yeah, you could (in theory, anyhow!) buy a base Boxster for no more than the Z4 but remember the base Boxster, while still dynamically brilliant, would be noticeably down on overall performance compared to the S without PASM, PTV, Sports Chrono, etc.....and 50 less hp.

A base Boxster with little to no options might be a great option for someone who wants a sharp handling roadster without breaking the bank but I wouldn't be happy with the lack of features and power.

cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Thanks. The Boxster may be worth the huge premium for some but it wasn't for me...If it had a 6 cyl, I'd have been willing to pay more for it but perhaps not THAT much more.

Yeah, you could (in theory, anyhow!) buy a base Boxster for no more than the Z4 but remember the base Boxster, while still dynamically brilliant, would be noticeably down on overall performance compared to the S without PASM, PTV, Sports Chrono, etc.....and 50 less hp.

A base Boxster with little to no options might be a great option for someone who wants a sharp handling roadster without breaking the bank but I wouldn't be happy with the lack of features and power.

cheers,
Dave
The above pretty well sums up my thoughts as well. I just can’t bring myself to spend about $90k for a Boxster S (with the options I would want) when it has that nasty sounding four banger. Porsche currently has prototypes running around of a Boxster and Cayman that apparently have a six cylinder engine that will slot somewhere under the Spyder and GT4, but my sense is they will carry a big premium over the current S and GTS models.

My current lease is not up until next year, so I have way too much time on my hands to obsess about the Z4 vs. Boxster issue!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkoboe View Post
Porsche currently has prototypes running around of a Boxster and Cayman that apparently have a six cylinder engine that will slot somewhere under the Spyder and GT4, but my sense is they will carry a big premium over the current S and GTS models.
I had heard those rumors as well but I agree that they will likely cost far more than even the current S and GTS models and may even be limited production models which would drive the price up even more. Used 981 Spyders go for well over $120,000 plus tax in Canada. My WAG is that a new 718 6cyl Boxster will cost as much as two Z4's...

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Thanks for that comparison! I looked at Mercedes as well a couple of years ago when I almost got tired waiting for the next Z4. I almost got a SL. I think it was the first year they came out with one with smaller engine? Very nice, luxurious, etc. I liked some of the older SLK’s, but the latest SLK/SLC looks somehow squished to me. Not sure how much that is in Canada. Luckily, it was just a bit too much for an ‘impulse buy’ and I waited for the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
I am a bit surprised nobody is cross shopping a Corvette? I know, new model just around the corner, but still?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #8
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Great review. Very interesting indeed. I am a BMW fan and didn't even consider looking at the Porsche or Mercedes options. Nice to hear your conclusion that the Z4 came out on top for the overall combination of value, performance and technology.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I am a bit surprised nobody is cross shopping a Corvette? I know, new model just around the corner, but still?
I was. It was kind of a shitty day and we were out running errands. i guess we didnt look like "Corvette" people. They profiled the shit out of my wife and i.

"Oh, you're not going to want this, you'd go broke just from the gas it consumes"

The whole encounter was nuts. The cup holders were entirely too small/shallow. Less serviceable than even the boxster's. Might sound fickle, but between that and their general demeanor, i lost interest.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Thanks for that comparison! I looked at Mercedes as well a couple of years ago when I almost got tired waiting for the next Z4. I almost got a SL. I think it was the first year they came out with one with smaller engine? Very nice, luxurious, etc. I liked some of the older SLK’s, but the latest SLK/SLC looks somehow squished to me. Not sure how much that is in Canada. Luckily, it was just a bit too much for an ‘impulse buy’ and I waited for the Z4.
I liked the look of the SL, much nicer than the SLC or SLK but it's a big car, heavy and was a big performance step down from my Ftype without the advantages of a smaller car (lighter weight and better dynamics). Would be great for a touring car but not that sporty.....except for an SL63AMG but for the price of one of those, you could easily buy two M40i's.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
the corvette is a great car and offers unrivaled "bang for the buck". The look is a bit out there for me, the car is fairly large and though the interior is better than they have been, it is a step down from the BMW/Audi/Jaguar/MB stuff. ...plus there is a bit of a stereotype with Corvette owners that I'd rather avoid.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
I was. It was kind of a shitty day and we were out running errands. i guess we didnt look like "Corvette" people. They profiled the shit out of my wife and i.

"Oh, you're not going to want this, you'd go broke just from the gas it consumes"

The whole encounter was nuts. The cup holders were entirely too small/shallow. Less serviceable than even the boxster's. Might sound fickle, but between that and their general demeanor, i lost interest.
That’s too bad. Crappy sales can really ruin a nice (window) car shopping event. I am usually not vindictive but once a sales person really ticked me off. They had my info because I was in contact with them over email and made appointment. Got the follow up call/email, told them about poor experience and that I bought a car from their competitor that day (which I did not). Got a call from their GM and everything.
Appreciate 0