BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Need to drop.... 50lbs? help

04-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #45
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
One meal is irrelevant in the entire scheme of the day. There is nothing wrong with carbs.

Hitting your overall calorie goal and P/C/F is what's important.

Use your brains - if you take in more carbs in the AM, take in less throughout the day.

herp derp
I agree with your comment about overall calorie goal. However, if one were to start off the day with a huge meal, thus accounting for most of the days allowable caloric intake, then there leaves little room for the amount of meals he should be eating in a day (i.e., 3 meals instead of 5). By reducing the amount of meals in a day, ones metabolic system may slow down, therefore, burning less calories per day.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #46
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One meal is irrelevant in the entire scheme of the day. There is nothing wrong with carbs.

Use your brains - if you take in more carbs in the AM, take in less throughout the day.

herp derp

Um he weight 250lbs. His burns 3500 cals a day doing nothing. Anything less than 2k calories is fucking high school girl status.

_________
OP I already told you to cut calories to 2,500 and shoot to lose 2lbs a week.

If you don't want to count everything you take in (which I do so I can manage to have pancakes like a grown man), just have a meals with good amounts of P/C/F.

FWIW This is my day, every day on a slow bulk 5'9 160lbs @ 10% BF

2,585 Cals

95.7 Fat

233.6 Carb

185.6 Protein

Here is a calc:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

You may be correct in that he burns 3500 calories per day but it sounds a bit high to me; I guess it depends on his level of activity. It may be best for the OP to run the calc since only he knows the specifics about his body and daily activities.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #47
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I agree with your comment about overall calorie goal. However, if one were to start off the day with a huge meal, thus accounting for most of the days allowable caloric intake, then there leaves little room for the amount of meals he should be eating in a day (i.e., 3 meals instead of 5). By reducing the amount of meals in a day, ones metabolic system may slow down, therefore, burning less calories per day.

-SZ
That is a myth and has been proven wrong for many years.

There is no metabolic "fire" to keep feeding throughout the day - meal timing is irrelevant as is having several meals throughout the day. It comes down total calories and macronutrients during the 24hr period in a day.

See LeanGains aka Intermittent Fasting: http://www.leangains.com/ Articles by Martin Berkhan and Alan Aragon.

See PubMed Articles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

Quote:
There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study.
      04-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #48
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here is a calc:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

You may be correct in that he burns 3500 calories per day but it sounds a bit high to me; I guess it depends on his level of activity. It may be best for the OP to run the calc since only he knows the specifics about his body and daily activities.

-SZ

I know I am correct.

31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]

Figuring light activity - 3500 calories. He is a large dude, he burns less if sedentary.

I'm going to the gym

Ill check back in on thread later to see what shit people have been spewing
      04-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #49
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
If i were you i'd go with something aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #50
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That is a myth and has been proven wrong for many years.

There is no metabolic "fire" to keep feeding throughout the day - meal timing is irrelevant as is having several meals throughout the day. It comes down total calories and macronutrients during the 24hr period in a day.

See LeanGains aka Intermittent Fasting: http://www.leangains.com/ Articles by Martin Berkhan and Alan Aragon.

See PubMed Articles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
Well, not that you are wrong, but that may just be one study. Anyone in the bodybuilding or fitness community will probably tell you otherwise. It is important to feed your body/muscles through out the day. That body cannot possibly fully process 600-1000 calories efficiently in one sitting. Also consider that a more muscular person will burn more calories than a less muscular person of the same weight; without feeding your muscles properly, the muscle will not grow and therefore, optimum calorie burning may not be achieved.

However, at the end of the day, some of the fat burning techniques discussed above will work better on some than others. Only the OP can fine tune his body in order to achieve optimum muscle growth and fat burning. In the case of an overweight person, I would recommend multiple small meals per day rather than a few large ones; not just is it healthier IMO but allows the person to discipline their portions better, thus possibly leading to the lifestyle change that can help stay trim and healthy for the long haul.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #51
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
If i were you i'd go with something aftermarket
You would still have to eat right.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #52
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I need to lose weight too... good stuff in this thread

I used to be 185lbs when I was 17/18 during my bulking/working days

Now I'm at about ~240lbs

Went from a size 34 to about a size 36ish... 36 barely fits me now.... more like a 38.

I'm 5'11.

If I could do what you're doing Gavin... just start doing it... arg...

What do you do when you work from 8am and don't usually get home until 8pm... and your stupid gym closes at 10pm? and doesn't open until around 6am (last I checked)

I will barely make it to work at 8 if I get there at 6 (taking into account distance as well as time needed to shower/get dressed). I'll have at most 20 minutes to do any type of workout...
You and I both have crappy schedules lol.
What are you doing in order to make it work better?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #53
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

herp derp

Um he weight 250lbs. His burns 3500 cals a day doing nothing. Anything less than 2k calories is fucking high school girl status.

_________
OP I already told you to cut calories to 2,500 and shoot to lose 2lbs a week.

If you don't want to count everything you take in (which I do so I can manage to have pancakes like a grown man), just have a meals with good amounts of P/C/F.

FWIW This is my day, every day on a slow bulk 5'9 160lbs @ 10% BF

2,585 Cals

95.7 Fat

233.6 Carb

185.6 Protein

I don't think hes concerned about Alpha male status and if others are impressed by the types of food he eats, a grown man takes care of himself and eats properly. Life is not an episode of Man Vs. Food
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #54
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

I think both of you guys (Quick and Sub) have some great info, and I really appreciate it.

Oddly enough, i dont eat very much, at all. the issue is I eat once a day normally (or did until I started this) so grubbing down on 1500 calories or more at once and then chilling at the end of the day is really hindering my regular metabolism.

Quick might be more into the Lifting and body building part of things, which is great, I'm just not to that point yet.

Im eating a Sharkys Power Plate for lunch right now, 2x Steamed broccoli and grilled chicken, no rice

under 600 calories and its very filling!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #55
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

Now I'm at about ~240lbs

Went from a size 34 to about a size 36ish... 36 barely fits me now.... more like a 38.

I'm 5'11.

What do you do when you work from 8am and don't usually get home until 8pm... and your stupid gym closes at 10pm? and doesn't open until around 6am (last I checked)

I will barely make it to work at 8 if I get there at 6 (taking into account distance as well as time needed to shower/get dressed). I'll have at most 20 minutes to do any type of workout...
You can have awesome success just eating right and barely getting off you're butt. I am not suggesting that, but hitting the gym is not a prerequisite for losing weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #56
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

Now I'm at about ~240lbs

I'm 5'11.

Your welcome to join me at 24 hour fitness

I go to the one on Tapo in Simi

Basically I am eating a 180° flip from my normal foods, and am working the gym into my schedule whenever I can. If its 30 mins I have to go, then im gone for 30 mins, i figure thats better then sitting around and thinking about it.

No soda, Organic juice/water during the day, and water only after 6pm.

You know me Shay, I could lose a few lbs Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #57
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

- Set a strict calorie limit and stick to it.
- Eat five or six small meals a day instead of three large meals per day, this will keep your metabolism active.
- Eat lean meats that are low in fat and high in protein. Grilled chicken is always a good choice and there's lots of ways to make meals that incorporate it.
- Take in "good carbs" and avoid junk carbs - this means going with whole grain and whole wheat whenever possible and not just in bread - pasta, rice, wraps, etc.
- Do regular cardio such as running and biking.

Doing this, you could healthily lose 50 pounds in three or four months, depending on how low you set your calorie limit and how well you stick with the diet and exercise regimen. If you commit to it, you can do it.
      04-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #58
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
I just made two servings of Fiber One Pancakes with Protein Sludge (Two scoops protein powder mixed with a little water to turn into a thick soup + tbsp of PB).

Two slices bacon.

751 Cals

31.9g Fat

83.6g Carbs

50.6 Protein

PS I didn't finish it all so I lowered the stats a bit.
Remember your body can only absorb 25 grams of protein per meal so if you're loading up on the other stuff to get all of that protein you're just screwing yourself over by eating more carbs fat ect than you need to.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #59
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, not that you are wrong, but that may just be one study. Anyone in the bodybuilding or fitness community will probably tell you otherwise. It is important to feed your body/muscles through out the day. That body cannot possibly fully process 600-1000 calories efficiently in one sitting. Also consider that a more muscular person will burn more calories than a less muscular person of the same weight; without feeding your muscles properly, the muscle will not grow and therefore, optimum calorie burning may not be achieved.

However, at the end of the day, some of the fat burning techniques discussed above will work better on some than others. Only the OP can fine tune his body in order to achieve optimum muscle growth and fat burning. In the case of an overweight person, I would recommend multiple small meals per day rather than a few large ones; not just is it healthier IMO but allows the person to discipline their portions better, thus possibly leading to the lifestyle change that can help stay trim and healthy for the long haul.

-SZ

So I provide TWO PubMed articles and you shoot them down with no studies to back them up? Strong logic there

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
Remember your body can only absorb 25 grams of protein per meal so if you're loading up on the other stuff to get all of that protein you're just screwing yourself over by eating more carbs fat ect than you need to.

That is a myth, see the following by Alan Aragon:

Quote:
Based on the available evidence, it’s false to assume that the body can only use a certain amount of protein per meal. Studies examining short-term effects have provided hints towards what might be an optimal protein dose for maximizing anabolism, but trials drawn out over longer periods haven’t supported this idea. So, is there a limit to how much protein per meal can be effectively used? Yes there is, but this limit is likely similar to the amount that’s maximally effective in an entire day. What’s the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g. The long answer is, it depends on several factors. In most cases it’s not too far from a gram per pound in drug-free trainees, given that adequate total calories are provided [8,9].

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/

Sources:

[i]1. Smeets AJ, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency. Br J Nutr. 2008 Jun;99(6):1316-21.

2. Taylor MA, Garrow JS. Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimeter. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.

3. Bellisle F, McDevitt R, Prentice AM. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.

4. Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR. Frequency of feeding, weight reduction and energy metabolism. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993 Jan;17(1):31-6.

5. Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR. Influence of the feeding frequency on nutrient utilization in man: consequences for energy metabolism. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Mar;45(3):161-9.

6. Bilsborough S, Mann N. A review of issues of dietary protein intake in humans. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Apr;16(2):129-52.

7. Moore DR, et al. Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;89(1):161-8.

8. Campbell B, et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Sep 26;4:8.

9. Tipton KD, Wolfe RR. Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.

10. Symons TB, et al. A moderate serving of high-quality protein maximally stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly subjects. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009 Sep;109(9):1582-6.

11. Arnal MA, et al. Protein feeding pattern does not affect protein retention in young women. J Nutr. 2000 Jul;130(7):1700-4.

12. Arnal MA, et al. Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Jun;69(6):1202-8.

13. Soeters MR, et al. Intermittent fasting does not affect whole-body glucose, lipid, or protein metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Nov;90(5):1244-51.

14. Stote KS, et al. A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Apr;85(4):981-8.

You guys are stuck with old science that has been updated - time to get educated!

Last edited by Quick6EF; 04-29-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #60
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Fair enough
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #61
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
You can have awesome success just eating right and barely getting off you're butt. I am not suggesting that, but hitting the gym is not a prerequisite for losing weight.
Very very true.
But from my own personal experience, if I go to the gym that day, I generally eat healthy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
You know me Shay, I could lose a few lbs Lol
Couldn't we all haha
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #62
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Eat what you want but calorie-count. 2k ~ 2.5k a day while doing the Fight Club (just Google that) work-out routine. If you miss a day, make it up the next.
      04-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #63
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

If you find yourself going into caloric excess, you can look into shirataki noodles. 0-40 calories depending on the type you get, and they are FILLING. The texture takes some getting used to but it takes on flavour well. I eat these for lunch just to allow myself to indulge in the foods I like later in the evening. There are tons of recipes out there for these noodles too. However you should still not go under 1000cals less than your maintenance calories or your body will go into starvation mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #64
benrappaport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.66]
Smoke Crack.... Jk
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #65
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I've used the following websites to help me lose weight and gain strength:

www.stronglifts.com
www.bodyrecomposition.com
www.leangains.com

As well as books by Brad Pilon.

I used to be near 190; now I'm around 155.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #66
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
If you find yourself going into caloric excess, you can look into shirataki noodles. 0-40 calories depending on the type you get, and they are FILLING. The texture takes some getting used to but it takes on flavour well. I eat these for lunch just to allow myself to indulge in the foods I like later in the evening. There are tons of recipes out there for these noodles too. However you should still not go under 1000cals less than your maintenance calories or your body will go into starvation mode.
Those seem awesome, but how to they taste? to they have a slimy texture to them? How do you eat them (with pasta sauce?)
Appreciate 0