BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Unicorn Sightings!

04-02-2024, 08:55 PM   #1057
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintrontaco View Post
I bought a G29 about a month ago thinking they were super rare in my area (Sherman Oaks, CA) only to now see 1-2 of them daily. Mine is a black sdrive 30i and in the last week I've seen another black, silver, white and blue. I've tried to wave but the other drivers all seem to want to avoid eye contact
Wow! Daily? It’s very rare I see one. Maybe one every couple months.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 09:56 PM   #1058
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Wow! Daily? It’s very rare I see one. Maybe one every couple months.
I saw one go by yesterday as I was pulling up to a light, same color as mine (BSM), going same direction as I was planning so, after turning, I sped up a bit to catch up with my "twin". I soon caught up and as I was about to come up beside him I noticed something wasn't quite right. The taillights were a bit different and it seemed longer.

DOH! It was a M850 convertible. I was surprised how similar they look from a distance.

Appreciate 4
      04-03-2024, 08:20 AM   #1059
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I saw one go by yesterday as I was pulling up to a light, same color as mine (BSM), going same direction as I was planning so, after turning, I sped up a bit to catch up with my "twin". I soon caught up and as I was about to come up beside him I noticed something wasn't quite right. The taillights were a bit different and it seemed longer.

DOH! It was a M850 convertible. I was surprised how similar they look from a distance.

I cannot tell you how many times I've mistaken an 8 series for a Z4.
Appreciate 5
      04-03-2024, 12:18 PM   #1060
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Copied this "Z4" grill for my car from a car on the floor at my dealer.

Did not realize it was an M8 series convertible till I could see the side. The other thing that surprised me it appeared smaller than my M4C convertible. Back seat was similar to a 911's.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2024, 01:40 PM   #1061
ImActuallyAParrotNotHuman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 (M40i), prev M235 M2C M4

I saw a silver one today I don't think it's frozen grey on the 101 fwy east bound between woodland hills, ca and the 405 on the way to the airport. I couldnt keep myself away from it. He had M Mirrors and shadowline trim but looked to be 50+ years old which I find surprising someone that age got M mirrors put on. The car looks so stunning no matter what angle you look at it but I like quartering side views from the front a lot. Man it's so sexy on the road it literally made every other car lool cheap and ugly. The z4 absolutely looks like a $150k plus car

Appreciate 4
      04-03-2024, 01:46 PM   #1062
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnsiensheng View Post
White m30i spotted at Chalong Circle, Phuket Thailand. Top down early morning when it’s not too hot.
I notice in countries like Thailand or India the native population due to cars being expensive typically get the lowest model 20i or 30i it the 20 isn't available without the M sport looks and they feel like a million bucks. They are buying a car that has a brand name and looks good for others and assume because it's a BMW it must be "performance" and super fast and believe it is fast when accelerating their 20i model because they really just want the brand and to pose. They don't realize the lack of performance in the 20i at all nor care for it and just want a good looking bmw for as cheap as possible that makes them look rich to others, so M40i will be rare in such countries like Thailand o India. The ones that have M40i are really wealthy and or know what they're buying but their roads suck and the way people drive in those countries accident is inevitable
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 01:57 PM   #1063
Enlisted Member
Rep

Lmao what are the odds I see two grey z4 on the same day. This one at my flight school where I'm getting my commercial pilot.

photo picture hd
Appreciate 5
      04-03-2024, 02:19 PM   #1064
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImActuallyAParrotNotHuman View Post
Lmao what are the odds I see two grey z4 on the same day. This one at my flight school where I'm getting my commercial pilot.

photo picture hd
Based on the license plate, the Z4 belongs to a flight instructor.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 05:46 PM   #1065
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Lmao what are the odds I see two grey z4 on the same day.

That’s California!
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 06:50 PM   #1066
Rcasa20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan EVO Chevy Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory-2 View Post
Copied this "Z4" grill for my car from a car on the floor at my dealer.

Did not realize it was an M8 series convertible till I could see the side. The other thing that surprised me it appeared smaller than my M4C convertible. Back seat was similar to a 911's.
When I showed my neighbor a pic of the Z4 I’m ordering he asked if that’s what another one of our neighbors has. Our neighbor has an M8 convertible. 🤣
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2024, 07:10 PM   #1067
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcasa20 View Post
When I showed my neighbor a pic of the Z4 I’m ordering he asked if that’s what another one of our neighbors has. Our neighbor has an M8 convertible. 🤣
Name:  comp.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  201.8 KB
Appreciate 7
      04-03-2024, 08:13 PM   #1068
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
I notice in countries like Thailand or India the native population due to cars being expensive typically get the lowest model 20i or 30i it the 20 isn't available without the M sport looks and they feel like a million bucks. They are buying a car that has a brand name and looks good for others and assume because it's a BMW it must be "performance" and super fast and believe it is fast when accelerating their 20i model because they really just want the brand and to pose. They don't realize the lack of performance in the 20i at all nor care for it and just want a good looking bmw for as cheap as possible that makes them look rich to others, so M40i will be rare in such countries like Thailand o India. The ones that have M40i are really wealthy and or know what they're buying but their roads suck and the way people drive in those countries accident is inevitable
No offense but that sounds a bit arrogant and ill informed. First of all, the 20i and 30i can be optioned similar or identically to a M40i with the exception of the engine so they’re still getting a performance car. The 30i is faster than some earlier generation M cars. Some, such as myself, have no need or desire for the additional power of the B58, especially in a two wheel drive car. I, like many other Z4 owners, paid cash for it. Another $10K for the M40i wouldn’t have been a big deal if I wanted it. In general, Americans seem to be more obsessed with power than those in most other countries.
Second, and more to the point, duties or import fees in some countries can be 100% of the MSRP, making even a s30i cost $120K or more. Financing a vehicle purchase can be much more challenging and costly in some countries so many are prone to pay cash instead. On top of that, some countries impose tax and insurance rates based upon engine displacement or power output, making a M40i even more costly to own and making a s20i or s30i a much more attractive and practical option, so there’s an argument for who is actually the poser. Many current US M40i owners couldn’t afford to own a s20i or s30i in some of those other countries.

Last edited by StanDiego; 04-03-2024 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 7
      04-03-2024, 09:33 PM   #1069
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcasa20 View Post
Sorry, but the Z4 is WAY BETTER looking than the M8. Prove me wrong! 😜
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2024, 09:35 PM   #1070
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Proof positive. Not only is the styling better the proportions are much more appealing. No offense to the M8 crowd, but that thing needs to go on a diet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      04-03-2024, 10:57 PM   #1071
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
... that thing needs to go on a diet.
Probably too off topic but I wonder if the Z4 is the lightest BMW made right now? Acknowledging that even it too is a bit heavier than needed.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 04:30 AM   #1072
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
No offense but that sounds a bit arrogant and ill informed. First of all, the 20i and 30i can be optioned similar or identically to a M40i with the exception of the engine so they’re still getting a performance car. The 30i is faster than some earlier generation M cars. Some, such as myself, have no need or desire for the additional power of the B58, especially in a two wheel drive car. I, like many other Z4 owners, paid cash for it. Another $10K for the M40i wouldn’t have been a big deal if I wanted it. In general, Americans seem to be more obsessed with power than those in most other countries.
Second, and more to the point, duties or import fees in some countries can be 100% of the MSRP, making even a s30i cost $120K or more. Financing a vehicle purchase can be much more challenging and costly in some countries so many are prone to pay cash instead. On top of that, some countries impose tax and insurance rates based upon engine displacement or power output, making a M40i even more costly to own and making a s20i or s30i a much more attractive and practical option, so there’s an argument for who is actually the poser. Many current US M40i owners couldn’t afford to own a s20i or s30i in some of those other countries.
I was really referring to the 20i mostly. And if you go to those countries the people there spend more on a 20i than we do for a 40i at least here in the states. And just assume because it's a BMW it must be fast or sporty, but the 20i is really anything but.

The 30i on the z4 isnt bad. But I'm a speed freak and want to hit the track and canyons hard so I need max Power. Though these days I'm not driving much probably drive my z4 about 30 miles per month. I'm mostly in the air really cruising past everyone from above. Hehe

And no need to be insecure I wasnt talking about if people can afford $10-15k more on a $60k+ car.

Im just speaking about the mindset, of people in certain places buying a car without really knowing what it is, the different models or engines, the M sport look. They don't care or even understand what wheels to get whether 18 or 19 inch, they don't know the difference between the engines or different suspensions or parts that make the performance better, and don't even know it's related to the supra. They just walk into a dealer, have money to blow while most of their countrymen don't, and see a 2 door roadster and think it's cool and must be fast because it's a BMW and buy it for the purpose of posing. And when they go full throttle in their 20i they think "wow it's so fast" simply because it's a BMW and they induce a placebo effect in their head that makes their 7 second 0-60 feel like a 2 second 0-60. That's what I'm referring to. Let's just say they don't really care for the speed, performance, or fun. It's just all for the flashy looks

Last edited by ImActuallyAParrotNotHuman; 04-04-2024 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:39 AM   #1073
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Probably too off topic but I wonder if the Z4 is the lightest BMW made right now? Acknowledging that even it too is a bit heavier than needed.
Not sure about in America, but Europe and Asia has plenty of small compact BMW models. Not sure how the weight compares to a Z4, but they are quite small hatchbacks
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2024, 10:52 AM   #1074
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
I was really referring to the 20i mostly. And if you go to those countries the people there spend more on a 20i than we do for a 40i at least here in the states. And just assume because it's a BMW it must be fast or sporty, but the 20i is really anything but.

The 30i on the z4 isnt bad. But I'm a speed freak and want to hit the track and canyons hard so I need max Power. Though these days I'm not driving much probably drive my z4 about 30 miles per month. I'm mostly in the air really cruising past everyone from above. Hehe

And no need to be insecure I wasnt talking about if people can afford $10-15k more on a $60k+ car.

Im just speaking about the mindset, of people in certain places buying a car without really knowing what it is, the different models or engines, the M sport look. They don't care or even understand what wheels to get whether 18 or 19 inch, they don't know the difference between the engines or different suspensions or parts that make the performance better, and don't even know it's related to the supra. They just walk into a dealer, have money to blow while most of their countrymen don't, and see a 2 door roadster and think it's cool and must be fast because it's a BMW and buy it for the purpose of posing. And when they go full throttle in their 20i they think "wow it's so fast" simply because it's a BMW and they induce a placebo effect in their head that makes their 7 second 0-60 feel like a 2 second 0-60. That's what I'm referring to. Let's just say they don't really care for the speed, performance, or fun. It's just all for the flashy looks
I can’t really follow this, if someone buys a BMW they are not “posing” they are an owner.

No need to throw shade at the 30i/20i, every Z4 offers something unique the other models don’t and that’s what’s nice about having engine/transmission options.
Appreciate 9
      04-04-2024, 12:01 PM   #1075
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I believe the Z4 comes in around 3,600 lbs so it’s not a lightweight by any means, but it’s about 200 lbs less than the M2. So in the current BMW sporty car lineup it just may be the weight winner.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:55 AM   #1076
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
BMW stand at the Bangkok Motor Show
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
      04-05-2024, 08:32 AM   #1077
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
I can’t really follow this, if someone buys a BMW they are not “posing” they are an owner.

No need to throw shade at the 30i/20i, every Z4 offers something unique the other models don’t and that’s what’s nice about having engine/transmission options.
Being a former 30i owner ... I agree with Misano here. So... unless someone has an ///M badge they are posing? I see more non-M (whether it's M# or M##i) out there than I see otherwise. Which is part of the reason why I feel so fortunate to have the M40i now. Some people just don't need or want it.... some folks just simply can't afford it or can't even justify it for how they drive the car. 20i/30i is still a damn good looking car that turns heads and is unique on the road. It's still a fun top down experience. Don't need to have a B58 for it to be a treat to own.
Appreciate 5
      04-05-2024, 11:41 AM   #1078
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnsiensheng View Post
Not sure about in America, but Europe and Asia has plenty of small compact BMW models. Not sure how the weight compares to a Z4, but they are quite small hatchbacks
Most of the smaller BMW models and/or engine displacements are not imported to the US. When I worked in England we had various sub 2.0 BMW's on the car list for section supervisors.

Most BMW's were corporate leases for their employees. Also UK road tax was based on displacement. The bigger the engine the bigger the government bite.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 0