BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos really growing fond of sport hatches what do you guys think of the mazaspeed 3?

07-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305e92 View Post
Mazda 3 well I think its crap...

That's really productive. I know I asked for opinions, but I was actually hoping for some intelligent ones. It was going good until you came along. It's people like you that ruin these forums. If you don't have something helpful to contribute then stay out of these forums. Or at least my thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #24
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Babs View Post
Going from a 335 to a mazda 3?!?!?!? What made you do that??
+1.. wondering the same thing...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #25
DocSean
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
yeah, i'm looking at used 08-09 GT's only. i could care less about the navi as well. i think it looks terrible. i'm really trying to find an 08.5 because of the interior facelift. have you seen the alcantara inserts on the seats and doors? looks 1,000 times better than the previous material. so you had a downpipe eh? i heard mazda is hardcore about voiding warranties for any aftermarket parts. care to chime in on your experience?
They aren't so bad if it is a catted downpipe. Biggest reason in my opinion is because the catless downpipes started to bring to surface faulty turbo seals in the '07s and the dealerships wanted to blame downpipes.

I'm sure you're aware that CP-E produces a pnp standback for the ms3, this along with an intake and downpipe would make for one nasty wagon.

My biggest gripe about the interior was never any fabrics, but I wasn't a big fan of 1) the interior lighting and 2) the gray plastic on the 07's on the center stack, but my understanding is that they went to piano black in 08??? Correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #26
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

I'd say go for a new STi hatch. I wasn't fond of them at first, but I've seen a couple of modded ones on streets and they look nice. Plus, Ken Block kinda made me like them.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #27
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSean View Post
They aren't so bad if it is a catted downpipe. Biggest reason in my opinion is because the catless downpipes started to bring to surface faulty turbo seals in the '07s and the dealerships wanted to blame downpipes.

I'm sure you're aware that CP-E produces a pnp standback for the ms3, this along with an intake and downpipe would make for one nasty wagon.

My biggest gripe about the interior was never any fabrics, but I wasn't a big fan of 1) the interior lighting and 2) the gray plastic on the 07's on the center stack, but my understanding is that they went to piano black in 08??? Correct me if I am wrong.
yes they did switch to piano black, and not just on the center stack area. they did it on the steering wheel control area and on the door panels where the window switches are. they also switched to perforated alcantara suede for the seats and door panel trim it looks soooo much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #28
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
I'd say go for a new STi hatch. I wasn't fond of them at first, but I've seen a couple of modded ones on streets and they look nice. Plus, Ken Block kinda made me like them.
i like the new STi wagon but as stated before, insurance would be through the roof for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

The mazda 3 looks better than the STI stock for stock IMO

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #30
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
The mazda 3 looks better than the STI stock for stock IMO
+1

mazdaspeed 3 is sick. my sis has a reg maz 3 and i like it

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #31
DocSean
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
i like the new STi wagon but as stated before, insurance would be through the roof for me.
Dude pull the trigger on the MS3, I miss mine so much!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #32
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

after you debage a mazda 3 I think they look sick.. i think Subie totally bit off the mazda 3 hatchback style and failed

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #33
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSean View Post
Dude pull the trigger on the MS3, I miss mine so much!
what do you drive now?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #34
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

I came to my 135i from a 2004 Mazda 3 hatch. Fantastic vehicle, the steering feel was light but you could whip it like nothing else I've driven. The 2.3liter was kinda breathless beyond 3rd gear and the clutch was perfectly adequate compared to the 1ers. My only reservation is the new Mazda 3s are missing some of the X factor that made the old ones such an inexpensive joy.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #35
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
i like the subies, but my insurance will be through the roof. also the interior feels way too bland in the wrx even compared to the MS3 IMO. i guess i just need to go test drive it tomorrow and see whats what.
You are going to ditch superior performance and AWD for a MS3 interior? You have just been cut off.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a crock of shit, a MS3 compared to an 09 WRX or even STi is not going to be much different. But you strike me as the type who would whine about interior color options and sparkly buttons so forget it.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #37
idyll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

what about a slightly used or new audi a3 2.0T? you could also chip it and get even more power out of it if need be
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #38
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
That is a crock of shit, a MS3 compared to an 09 WRX or even STi is not going to be much different. But you strike me as the type who would whine about interior color options and sparkly buttons so forget it.
i have already spoke with my insurance broker, my monthly payment with full coverage, high limits is $180 per month for the mazdaspeed3 and for the new subie wrx sti it was $335 per month. which is a $155 a month difference. i would say that is significant no? and the sti interior is fine, especially with the performance you get of it. but the regular wrx interior i think is a bit more bland.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #39
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
after you debage a mazda 3 I think they look sick.. i think Subie totally bit off the mazda 3 hatchback style and failed
I saw a black on black hatch debadged and dropped. It was done simply and really looked good.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #40
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

If you're looking at sport hatches, why not look at the one that started it? The gti. There is a newer model coming out at the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #41
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have already spoke with my insurance broker, my monthly payment with full coverage, high limits is $180 per month for the mazdaspeed3 and for the new subie wrx sti it was $335 per month. which is a $155 a month difference. i would say that is significant no? and the sti interior is fine, especially with the performance you get of it. but the regular wrx interior i think is a bit more bland.
Then shop around for insurance. The WRX is not the same price to insure as the STi. Don't be a frigging fool and buy a car based on what one insurance company gave you for a quote on a Mazdaspeed3 and a WRX/STi when I was talking about the 2009 WRX.

2009 WRX interior NON-STi

2009 WRX/STi interior

2009 Mazdaspeed3 interior

I fail to see any significant difference in the WRX and STi interiors aside from the seats. Oh well, it's your money. I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #42
DocSean
Private
Rep
Drives:

Lets not forget that a Sti is signifigantly more expensive than an MS3.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #43
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for your input 11past9. the 2010 wrx interior doesnt look as bad as i remembered it. and by the way the mazspeed3 interior shot you have is of the 2010. which is fully redesigned. i actually prefer the 09' GT interior. but like doc sean said the STI is double what i would be paying for an 09' MS3, and the wrx about $10k more. although all wheel drive would be nice, i just don't think $10 grand more nice. have you driven the new subie yet? how does it feel?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #44
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Speed 3 is a good car, the clutch is light and a bit touchy but the shift engagement is good. It feels peppy and the torque steer isn’t as bad as say a MINI Cooper S. Take a look at a Subaru WRX or a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart sportback. Both are in the same ballpark price-wise to the MS3. STI or Evo is going to run you low to mid 30’s. If it’s more of a fun commuter car and you get traffic I’d opt for the Lancer Sportback as it has a dual-clutch transmission. If you want to spend a bit more or need more room you could get a used Audi S4 wagon.

As to costs (MSRP not invoice or whatever incentives are available) a MS3 will be low 20’s or mid 20’s depending on trim, WRX and Lancer Sportback should be mid 20’s.
Appreciate 0