BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Does it bother anyone else when their passengers don't wear their damn seatbelts?

05-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
While I agree with the freedom of choice, I also have the freedom to choose whether to enforce the law in my vehicle, and if they don't like it, they are free to choose to ride with someone else.
No argument with that. I'm a bit more basic with it though. If someone wants to ride in my car, and is not comfortable with the seat belt and they are an adult, then they understand the risks and can make their own decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Good for them in their own car.

By the way, a back passenger not wearing his seatbelt will kill the front passenger in a collision.
Gee, I guess I missed that one in physics class...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #25
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Well it's true. For example, you have a vehicle traveling at 65mph and a 175lb individual in the backseat. If the vehicle hits something or comes to a sudden stop, that 175lb person in the backseat is still traveling at 65mph, and will collide with the occupants in the front seat. They will continue at speed until something of equal or greater force stops them. That's what seat belts are for. Newton's Law at work.

Which force would you like to use to stop that 175lb individual from continuing to travel at 65mph when your vehicle has stopped? The seat belt they are supposed to be wearing? Or the back of your head?

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #26
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Why would you bother? The person is likely dead already or close to it.
Driving is a privilege not a right in case you forgot that. And as long as drivers are paying higher insurance and tax payers are paying for the unemployment and disability claims of jackasses that get hurt b/c it is their "right" to, then wearing a seat belt should be required, there is a trickle down effect to your decisions whether you like it or not. On the flip side, maybe people who are stupid enough to not wear their seat belt can simply be weeded out of society through natural selection.

I don't like how the system works anymore than you do, but it is how it works.
      05-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
You can't...be serious. I know science education is grossly lacking in the U.S. but for fuck's sake.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
You can't...be serious. I know science education is grossly lacking in the U.S. but for fuck's sake.
LOL. I'm not. I have a degree in industrial engineering and lots of college credits in physics along the way. F=MA my friend. A body in motion tends...

LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
Driving is a privilege not a right in case you forgot that. And as long as drivers are paying higher insurance and tax payers are paying for the unemployment and disability claims of jackasses that get hurt b/c it is their "right" to, then wearing a seat belt should be required, there is a trickle down effect to your decisions whether you like it or not. On the flip side, maybe people who are stupid enough to not wear their seat belt can simply be weeded out of society through natural selection.

I don't like how the system works anymore than you do, but it is how it works.
Well actually considering all the taxes one pays to drive, I'll go with it's a right to drive; sorta like no taxation without representation. And you can make that "it harms society" crap with just about any human endeavor: over eating, watching too much TV, ice cream, pizza, and oh yeah, sex.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #30
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
LOL. I'm not. I have a degree in industrial engineering and lots of college credits in physics along the way. F=MA my friend. A body in motion tends...

LOL
How were you not aware that an unrestrained anything in the back seat of a car can potentially cause bodily harm to those sitting in front during a collision?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How were you not aware that an unrestrained anything in the back seat of a car can potentially cause bodily harm to those sitting in front during a collision?
Man, I wish they had sarcastic font...

You said "You can't... be serious?" I said "LOL. I'm not." i.e. I was not serious; I was kidding... Oh, just never mind! You guys are just WAY too serious on here sometimes...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man, I wish they had sarcastic font...
....oops

My bad
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

:
Quote:
....oops

My bad
Can't tell you how many times the Nuns busted my knuckles.....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well it's true. For example, you have a vehicle traveling at 65mph and a 175lb individual in the backseat. If the vehicle hits something or comes to a sudden stop, that 175lb person in the backseat is still traveling at 65mph, and will collide with the occupants in the front seat. They will continue at speed until something of equal or greater force stops them. That's what seat belts are for. Newton's Law at work.

Which force would you like to use to stop that 175lb individual from continuing to travel at 65mph when your vehicle has stopped? The seat belt they are supposed to be wearing? Or the back of your head?
The only thing you have calculated besides the actual force, is that I'm driving so I get to decide if I hit something or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #35
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
The only thing you have calculated besides the actual force, is that I'm driving so I get to decide if I hit something or not.

You don't always get to decide what you hit or what hits you.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #36
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
You make an ideal candidate for a Darwin if you have an accident.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #37
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
You make an ideal candidate for a Darwin if you have an accident.
Yeah, after 50 years or so, I'm going with I passed the test already.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't always get to decide what you hit or what hits you.
Again, no sarcastic font...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #39
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I don't pull away until everyone has it on. Everyone I know wears them anyway so never an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:57 AM   #40
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
I slam my brakes briefly at highway speed if I notice a passenger isn't wearing their seatbelt. When they hit the front seat suddenly, then they realize what to do lol.

I enjoy wearing my seat belt. I feel naked if I don't have it on.
DUDE... I'm the EXACT same way; I don't even BEGIN to understand how people can drive without it when I can't even go 80 feet or so from the garage to the edge of the driveway to check my mail before I leave, let alone an entire trip. Plus, even though I'm such a Bimmer fanatic that I even like the "blunnnng" chime, I can't stand it hearing it continuously when I'm driving, or when a passenger either doesn't buckle up or even takes it off halfway through driving. Ergo, I tend to stop by the side of the road when they refuse to put it back on.

Also, ever since I heard George Lopez joke about it, I've always used the "slam brake" method to remind the stubborn people as well... I constantly had to remind this one chick, and I was even getting sick of seeing that little red light blinking and put a piece of tape over it to prevent it from annoying me... But one time we were having an argument over something stupid, it felt all the more better to watch her slide forward on a very slippery leather seat watch her and slam her face into the dashboard. No injuries, but still a bit schadenfreude-worthy .
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
DUDE... I'm the EXACT same way; I don't even BEGIN to understand how people can drive without it when I can't even go 80 feet or so from the garage to the edge of the driveway to check my mail before I leave, let alone an entire trip. Plus, even though I'm such a Bimmer fanatic that I even like the "blunnnng" chime, I can't stand it hearing it continuously when I'm driving, or when a passenger either doesn't buckle up or even takes it off halfway through driving. Ergo, I tend to stop by the side of the road when they refuse to put it back on.

Also, ever since I heard George Lopez joke about it, I've always used the "slam brake" method to remind the stubborn people as well... I constantly had to remind this one chick, and I was even getting sick of seeing that little red light blinking and put a piece of tape over it to prevent it from annoying me... But one time we were having an argument over something stupid, it felt all the more better to watch her slide forward on a very slippery leather seat watch her and slam her face into the dashboard. No injuries, but still a bit schadenfreude-worthy .
So what's more dangerous, randomly slamming on the brakes in traffic with enough force to remove a 175-pound person from the back seat and slam into the front seat, which a) may cause a rear end collision with you and a ensuing chain reaction accident where many people get injured, b) cause you to lose control of the vehicle and have an accident, or politely mentioning to your passenger at some point after the trip that you'd prefer they wear a seat belt for their safety and yours?

Yet, apparently I'm the candidate for the Darwin award...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #42
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:

So what's more dangerous, randomly slamming on the brakes in traffic with enough force to remove a 175-pound person from the back seat and slam into the front seat, which a) may cause a rear end collision with you and a ensuing chain reaction accident where many people get injured, b) cause you to lose control of the vehicle and have an accident, or politely mentioning to your passenger at some point after the trip that you'd prefer they wear a seat belt for their safety and yours?

Well if you were smart, you would a) not slam the brakes when a car is behind you, and b) know how to control the car under full braking power. If any of those choices aren't observed and/or neglected, then yes they do deserve the Darwin Award.
      05-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #43
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:

This was an empty residential street with no cars behind me, and after driving that car for 5 years and in a neighborhood where idiocy runs RAMPANT and I've slammed brakes to avoid accidents millions of times, I know the precise threshold to get that effect, but not even trigger the ABS.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This was an empty residential street with no cars behind me, and after driving that car for 5 years and in a neighborhood where idiocy runs RAMPANT and I've slammed brakes to avoid accidents millions of times, I know the precise threshold to get that effect, but not even trigger the ABS.
Ah, so when I say I get to chose what I hit and don't hit I'm up for a Darwin award, yet I honestly think I am in complete control of my driving envrionment as you do in yours. I ride a motorcycle, so one must have the attitude I have, or motorcyle riding makes no sense.
Appreciate 0