F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Warranty coverage for clutch??
Studio RSR

03-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 6MT

Warranty coverage for clutch??

Are there any BMW technicians or anyone with pertinent experience who knows what the “grey zone” of warranty coverage for clutch consists of?

My clutch works fine most of the time (never any slippage), however after prolonged drives, I get clutch chatter (car literally shakes) from standstill. Can’t avoid it, even by riding the clutch. And recently I get a sound when idling in neutral (which goes away when I disengage clutch in neutral), and I sometimes even get it while driving - again, while car warm. (Defective input shaft bearing?) When car is cold, no chatter.

BMW told me to bring it for a test drive when the symptoms are obvious. But a diagnosis can be costly, and won’t be covered if they deem the issue not covered under warranty.

Anyone know what warranty would actually cover? Defective flywheel? Input shaft bearing?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Not an answer, but thought u might find the thread interesting

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...ghlight=clutch
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you, it was quite helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

I have the same issue. It's intermittent and cant replicate it. Car will do it on and iff again and then weeks will go by without issue. Have 76k miles on it, how about yours? Mine is a 2013.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

The only clutch issue I have ever experienced was on my 2012 S4. it was slipping at any aggressive driving. service manager was quite aggressive on the whole 'we will take it aprt but you're on the hook blah blah blah' and while I didn't have any concern as the car was new and I didn't really push it that hard and am very familiar with manuals and love driving them smooth it does make you uneasy as you don't see it and make the decision so what if something isn't obvious but you know it's not 'abuse'. As it turned out there was a part that was leaking fluid on to the plate and causing it to slip. they replaced the whole assembly under warranty no discussion. Point of the story is if you know your dealer and they are straight if they can find anything reasonable / logical you shouldn't have to worry and they will replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
I have the same issue. It's intermittent and cant replicate it. Car will do it on and iff again and then weeks will go by without issue. Have 76k miles on it, how about yours? Mine is a 2013.
Same thing with me. I bought it CPO with 69,000 km (around 43,000 miles) and now have 87,000 km (54,000 miles). The issue was basically there since I acquired it, but again, only intermittently and when the engine is warm. That's the difficult part of it - I cannot replicate it on demand. But when the issue is there, the car can shake violently. Quite frustrating.

Mine is 2013 as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
The only clutch issue I have ever experienced was on my 2012 S4. it was slipping at any aggressive driving. service manager was quite aggressive on the whole 'we will take it aprt but you're on the hook blah blah blah' and while I didn't have any concern as the car was new and I didn't really push it that hard and am very familiar with manuals and love driving them smooth it does make you uneasy as you don't see it and make the decision so what if something isn't obvious but you know it's not 'abuse'. As it turned out there was a part that was leaking fluid on to the plate and causing it to slip. they replaced the whole assembly under warranty no discussion. Point of the story is if you know your dealer and they are straight if they can find anything reasonable / logical you shouldn't have to worry and they will replace it.
Agreed. I will likely have it inspected before the end of my warranty and hope for the best. I currently go to two dealerships and there is one that I feel is more honest than the other. I also know a mechanic who works for BMW, and so worst case if they tell me (after having dropped the transmission) that it is not covered, I can get a rebate on the OEM parts. They will certainly want to replace the flywheel (I think this is standard for the dealership - they don't mess with resurfacing), and that is the biggest expense.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Agreed. I will likely have it inspected before the end of my warranty and hope for the best. I currently go to two dealerships and there is one that I feel is more honest than the other. I also know a mechanic who works for BMW, and so worst case if they tell me (after having dropped the transmission) that it is not covered, I can get a rebate on the OEM parts. They will certainly want to replace the flywheel (I think this is standard for the dealership - they don't mess with resurfacing), and that is the biggest expense.
Keep us posted! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep

Should mention that the only time I actually worry about this happening is when I need to start from an incline. I have noticed that on a hill start, the kind where you would hold the brake if you didn't have hill start/hold. Found that if it starts doing it here it will persist for a bit. Maybe a software issue that corrects itself after a few restarts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
Should mention that the only time I actually worry about this happening is when I need to start from an incline. I have noticed that on a hill start, the kind where you would hold the brake if you didn't have hill start/hold. Found that if it starts doing it here it will persist for a bit. Maybe a software issue that corrects itself after a few restarts.
Interesting. Could the software be causing clutch chatter?
The issue is that I only get it when the car is warm. Otherwise the clutch works fine, even on inclines.
Everyone is telling me that it’s the pressure plate. But if so, I wonder why there are no issues when the car is cold (or even warm- needs to have been driving for a while before the chatter appears).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A53 View Post
Clutch went out on the second owner of my car a few weeks after he bought it as a CPO, BMW paid half.
Right. So in theory it’s not covered (although I think my extended warranty is a step above the CPO one). I should have negotiated the clutch when I bought the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
BMW told me to bring it for a test drive when the symptoms are obvious. But a diagnosis can be costly, and won’t be covered if they deem the issue not covered under warranty.
If the car is still under warranty most dealers will hook you up with the shop foreman and you just go out for a ride and they will quickly tell you whether there is something wrong. If you have a 2016 clutch is covered. If it's a year later I don't think it's covered as a wear item. I see some of the same issues as you and I had the shop foreman in the car and I was told that's normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just had a 55-pt. inspection completed. The technician commented that "flywheel is glazed or warped". So I went back to the initial dealer and told the salesman that it's ridiculous to have purchased a CPO vehicle with a flywheel that is defective, and that warranty should cover it. The only problem is that I purchased the vehicle almost two years ago, however I've put less than 20,000 km on it (no clutch riding or popping). He said he would speak to the service and warranty managers, etc etc. I'm not expecting much. My bad for not negotiating a new clutch or some clutch warranty when I purchased the car. This CPO "inspection" is ridiculous; immediately after having purchased it, I needed new rear brakes, new rear ball joint and new exhaust (flap problem). All covered under warranty, but I really question the extent of these CPO inspections...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
Alee92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black f30 335i Sportline

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
interesting, I thought I was the only one. I have the same issue mines a 2014, when I start the engine everything is fine but after a while of driving, car shakes
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #15
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just had a 55-pt. inspection completed. The technician commented that "flywheel is glazed or warped". So I went back to the initial dealer and told the salesman that it's ridiculous to have purchased a CPO vehicle with a flywheel that is defective, and that warranty should cover it. The only problem is that I purchased the vehicle almost two years ago, however I've put less than 20,000 km on it (no clutch riding or popping). He said he would speak to the service and warranty managers, etc etc. I'm not expecting much. My bad for not negotiating a new clutch or some clutch warranty when I purchased the car. This CPO "inspection" is ridiculous; immediately after having purchased it, I needed new rear brakes, new rear ball joint and new exhaust (flap problem). All covered under warranty, but I really question the extent of these CPO inspections...
It's certainly possible to glaze a flywheel in two years and 20,000km. I'm not saying you did it, but it'd be tough to convince the original dealership to comp the repair since you've had the car so long.

I think it's fairly normal for chatter to act up more when the car is warm. My car also has some chatter (noise only, no shaking) when I've driven it a while but it sounds like it's not as bad as your car. It just sounds like you need a new clutch and/or flywheel. If you had a bad bearing you'd hear some grinding or rotating friction noises.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It's certainly possible to glaze a flywheel in two years and 20,000km. I'm not saying you did it, but it'd be tough to convince the original dealership to comp the repair since you've had the car so long.

I think it's fairly normal for chatter to act up more when the car is warm. My car also has some chatter (noise only, no shaking) when I've driven it a while but it sounds like it's not as bad as your car. It just sounds like you need a new clutch and/or flywheel. If you had a bad bearing you'd hear some grinding or rotating friction noises.
Agreed, I’m not expecting much to come from it.

I do hear rotating friction noises as well when idling in neutral. I used to only hear it when the car was very warm. But now, after only a short drive, I need only slightly press the clutch pedal (to about the friction point) and I hear it. The noise goes away when the clutch pedal is fully pressed in. I’m told it’s the input shaft bearing...

Maybe I could argue that for some goodwill contribution from the dealership?
Appreciate 0