BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What should I replace my C7 with?

06-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am replacing my C7 with a C8.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      06-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #24
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I am replacing my C7 with a C8.
Can you even get a C8 without paying some ridiculous premium?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #25
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I replaced my C7 with a C7Z last year.
It’s stupid fun, especially if your out driving and you get some rain.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

As someone that rarely drives (work from home and fly internationally) I see no reason to get a new car (preowned only) and leases make even less sense, reasonable monthly payments that never end on a car that is never driven. Depreciation will happen whether I drive it or not. Unless you plan on using the Tesla as the everyday car I also think it makes little sense. Big depreciation if buying new, has the "green" benefit but not unless you use it.

If trying to replace the fun, rarely used C7 with another fun, rarely used car, not sure what the benefit is of getting rid of the C7. I you looking for a sports car or more usable car with space for longer trips?
      06-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #27
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't HAVE to get rid of any of them really. Just seems a shame as I barely drive it. Plus it's the only one that is financed. Payments are made by my business so that's not so bad, but it's still a payment.

I need the truck to tow the RV. Not sure when we will be able to get back to traveling, but I'm sure we will eventually. Not a fun vehicle for driving around town, plus it's a long bed so parking is also a pita around town.

Got the corolla mainly for local stuff, groceries etc. Also our families live about an hour away so the corolla is just better overall for longer trips, more comfortable, better mpg and I have it hooked up so it basically drives itself on the highway like a Tesla or what not, so it's pretty chill for longer drives. Also my gf hates driving the truck or the vette. So really the only reason for me to drive the vette or the truck is if we need to go to different places at the same time, which rarely happens. Or when I just take it out for fun.

So I guess really my only options should be sell it outright save the $$. Trade for something cheaper and save some $$. Or keep it.
I still have tears in my eyes when I see someone else drive a C7 past me by even when I'm in my 440i. Did you buy this new? You won't be able to buy a new C7 again and dealers are already out. Nothing but C8 now. I'm sure the C8 is superior in driving dynamics etc. etc. But it's no longer a front engine muscle car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #28
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I still have tears in my eyes when I see someone else drive a C7 past me by even when I'm in my 440i. Did you buy this new? You won't be able to buy a new C7 again and dealers are already out. Nothing but C8 now. I'm sure the C8 is superior in driving dynamics etc. etc. But it's no longer a front engine muscle car.
Nope used. However you are correct there are not a lot of C7 manuals available even now. The ones I can find seem to be going for quite a bit of $$.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you even get a C8 without paying some ridiculous premium?
I am paying sticker through one of the big Corvette dealers. None of them are selling over MSRP.
Appreciate 2
GenXer1351.00
swanson733.00
      06-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #30
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
This is what I will probably do. Replace my C6 and go straight to the C7Z. We will probably be building our retirement home sometime this year.....and then I will start shopping!
N54Yankee2706.00
      06-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am paying sticker through one of the big Corvette dealers. None of them are selling over MSRP.
Interesting, don't think anyone around here has any left unless you wait for 2021 model year. Still... I'm too cheap to pay sticker

Plus no manual on the C8 bothers me a lot. Maybe, some day, once they show up on the used market, I could see myself overlooking the fact its auto only if I found a great deal on one... but I dunno.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping it or if I to sell maybe get a Model 3. Totally different experience, practically no maintenance, no issues with it sitting for long periods of time and they seem to hold their value pretty well. I mean shit most of the used ones on the market are listed for MORE than a brand new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Thought about that too, but I dunno if I change I want something totally different. Plus I honestly don't need anymore power.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #32
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, don't think anyone around here has any left unless you wait for 2021 model year. Still... I'm too cheap to pay sticker

Plus no manual on the C8 bothers me a lot. Maybe, some day, once they show up on the used market, I could see myself overlooking the fact its auto only if I found a great deal on one... but I dunno.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping it or if I to sell maybe get a Model 3. Totally different experience, practically no maintenance, no issues with it sitting for long periods of time and they seem to hold their value pretty well. I mean shit most of the used ones on the market are listed for MORE than a brand new one.

Thought about that too, but I dunno if I change I want something totally different. Plus I honestly don't need anymore power.
I was always a manual guy too, but owning a BMW DCT and Porsche PDK along with DC traffic has shifted my thinking. If it works even as close to Porsche’s PDK, which most reviews seem to indicate, it will be best of both worlds. I drive in manual mode most of the time unless I’m in traffic.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #33
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
For a perma-workfromhome stance, I’d say combine the practicality and the fun of the C7 and Corolla. You rarely drive the fun car which says practically has more functionality for you. F80? Still get your four doors and your speed.

I’m home-based (Rona or not) with a company vehicle. Wife is permanently at home and I got her a newer Grand Cherokee for baby, grocery, trips, etc. On the hunt for a toy in the garage for myself.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #34
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was always a manual guy too, but owning a BMW DCT and Porsche PDK along with DC traffic has shifted my thinking. If it works even as close to Porsche’s PDK, which most reviews seem to indicate, it will be best of both worlds. I drive in manual mode most of the time unless I’m in traffic.
I mean I don't mind an automatic. I've owned a bunch... just not in a sports car. I understand they are faster etc, but for me personally I just don't care. I just drive for the enjoyment, not trying to race anyone. Plus here in FL it's a whole lot of flat straight roads. I did one of those exotic car tours in CA last year. I can't say I missed the manual transmission while going through the crazy twisty roads out there in a mclaren or ferrai.

I would definitely consider a C8 in a few years once you can start buying them used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
For a perma-workfromhome stance, I’d say combine the practicality and the fun of the C7 and Corolla. You rarely drive the fun car which says practically has more functionality for you. F80? Still get your four doors and your speed.

I’m home-based (Rona or not) with a company vehicle. Wife is permanently at home and I got her a newer Grand Cherokee for baby, grocery, trips, etc. On the hunt for a toy in the garage for myself.
I don't think it's so much a practicality thing. Honestly I'm probably just bored. This is the longest amount of time I have spent at home in like 2-3 years since we usually travel around in our RV for 2-5 month stretches throughout the year (that has kept me from swapping cars all the time). Plus the rona has just made it that much worse.

Apart from boredom I think the main things that have triggered me wanting to sell the vette is the constant fear something will go wrong with it. Not only something may go wrong but it may leave me stranded as it did once already. When I do drive it's typically to go see family which is about and hour each way. Also the market for the C7 seems to be pretty decent right now. I have gotten offers from dealers for significantly more than I owe and almost as much as I paid for it a couple years ago.

I'm like 90% going with a model 3. Lot's of things I don't like about the model 3, but I think it's very different from everything else I've owned. Mechanically should be pretty reliable, would be fully warrantied anyways, should be pretty fast depending on the version and based on my search for a used one it should hold it's value pretty well.

Main issue right now is finding a deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #35
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think I’d prefer the Model Y so then I could have Model 3 performance and replace my Macans utility.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #36
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I mean I don't mind an automatic. I've owned a bunch... just not in a sports car. I understand they are faster etc, but for me personally I just don't care. I just drive for the enjoyment, not trying to race anyone. Plus here in FL it's a whole lot of flat straight roads. I did one of those exotic car tours in CA last year. I can't say I missed the manual transmission while going through the crazy twisty roads out there in a mclaren or ferrai.

I would definitely consider a C8 in a few years once you can start buying them used.

I don't think it's so much a practicality thing. Honestly I'm probably just bored. This is the longest amount of time I have spent at home in like 2-3 years since we usually travel around in our RV for 2-5 month stretches throughout the year (that has kept me from swapping cars all the time). Plus the rona has just made it that much worse.

Apart from boredom I think the main things that have triggered me wanting to sell the vette is the constant fear something will go wrong with it. Not only something may go wrong but it may leave me stranded as it did once already. When I do drive it's typically to go see family which is about and hour each way. Also the market for the C7 seems to be pretty decent right now. I have gotten offers from dealers for significantly more than I owe and almost as much as I paid for it a couple years ago.

I'm like 90% going with a model 3. Lot's of things I don't like about the model 3, but I think it's very different from everything else I've owned. Mechanically should be pretty reliable, would be fully warrantied anyways, should be pretty fast depending on the version and based on my search for a used one it should hold it's value pretty well.

Main issue right now is finding a deal.

Vettes are curvy road/track performance cars these days. They can be daily driven, but their forte isn't straight line. You'd be much better with modern mega-torque turbo car, which spools up full torque around 1500rpm or a V8 challenger/charger. I say this because older corvettes were quite "soft" in the suspension department. Highway and surface street cruisers that could go fast, usually bought with an automatic, not for performance, but because the buyer was looking for something that was soft like the suspension. With each generation, they've been tightened up into a more sporty package, with the C7 and 8 being able to compete as actual "sports cars" IMO, regardless of their transmission.

Of course, cars like the M4, M6, are absolutely great at the straight line pulls, or even better, Audi AWD RS models. But the trick is finding a manual. If I lived in Florida, I would probably be the same way, prioritizing straight line and acceleration over handling.
      06-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #37
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update this to say I ended up pulling the trigger on a Model 3. I still have a few days to decide (one of those 7 day trial things) but so far I'm pretty impressed with it.

Honestly my expectations were low, but the build quality and materials are actual quite good. Plenty of features and what not that I think should come in a vehicle at this price point, but still it does a lot of things very well.

It's a long range dual motor but it's plenty fast. I don't think it's as fast as the C7, but from a stand still I'm pretty sure it would beat it off the line. It's a very strange feeling when you floor it, almost like the blood is rushing to your head or something. It's strange because it's instant and doesn't stop for shifts etc.

So far took it on a 2 hour trip and for highway driving it's great. This is one of the furthest places I go and still got home with like 110 miles left. We'll see how the rest of the week goes, but I definitely think if it's not this specific model 3 I will end up in some model 3. At least until the C8s start hitting the used market.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #38
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

ghey
Appreciate 3
swanson733.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Smgs1992720.00
      06-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #39
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
ghey
Don't get me trigged!! Imma go loot Bath & Body Works!!
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #40
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

lol well played
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #41
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Great minds. I’m probably going to get a Model 3 Performance when GM buys back the C7 Grand Sport.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #42
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I don’t understand the desire for Tesla. To me they are same level of excitement as a cordless vacuum cleaner.

As a daily to cart shit around in traffic... ok. As a performance car replacement?? Never. I know they’re quick straight line, but dynamically they are straight up plain and boring.
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      06-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #43
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I don’t understand the desire for Tesla. To me they are same level of excitement as a cordless vacuum cleaner.

As a daily to cart shit around in traffic... ok. As a performance car replacement?? Never. I know they’re quick straight line, but dynamically they are straight up plain and boring.
I know it’s easy to sh*t on Tesla’s and compare them to appliances. I’ve never driven one, but have ridden in a few driven by students and the Model 3 is something else. Had a student take me around Buttonwillow in a long range RWD Model 3 and it blew me away. It’s faster than any BMW on the market and handles just as well, despite the lack of combustion noises. And this doesn’t even have “track mode.” Guy was in the advanced intermediate group and very few cars were able to stay ahead of him in the group.

With today’s cars becoming increasingly isolated and boring to drive, there’s really nothing new that awakens me like cars made in the early to mid 2000s. So if they’re all going to be boring cars to drive but goes like stink in a straight line, I might as well pick one that’s FUTURE PROOF for the next 5-10 years.

If I want a more visceral experience, I can always “fire up” the MZ4 Coupe. Otherwise, for a car that’s going to be driven and used to haul family, it’s 100x better than the Corvette and offers nearly equal performance in just about every category that matters except for the intangibles.

Plus I already have a level 2 charger at home from prior EVs. Makes too much sense for me given my location and typical “non-commute.”
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #44
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

You make some good points, but I would argue on the handling front. Since Tesla's mentality is "no dramma" there is no on (or even off) throttle rotation, and no sliding, no oversteer or any kind unless you disconnect the wheel speed sensor (which also disables ABS, so bad idea). I know they are fast around a track, but not nearly as involving or engaging to drive. It almost does it for you. I work in the industry and my company does hardware/software for those, including tuning so I have behind the wheel experience in all their models.

I get it as a replacement for a 3 series sedan. But not for a sports car like the Vette. Sounds like Vette was not the right choice of car given your use cases if you're replacing it with a 4 door sedan to cart stuff around.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 06-22-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0