BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Sonos system question / problem

09-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Sonos system question / problem

I purchased a home where previous owner had a Sonos system installed. They took all speakers and left an bridge and a connect. I added 10 play one speakers and 4 play 5 speakers, 2 move and 2 subs. Everything was working beautifully.

Then 3 months ago things starting getting laggy. Buggy and non responsive. I can eventually get it running but it’s a pita.

Call Sonos and they tell me my system has 2 non supported devices that may be causing the issue. I explained that everything was working perfectly before and
Nothing Sonos was changed. They said the updates that they pushed are for the new products and basically no thought about Old products. I’m not happy but I go to Best Buy and get a port to replace the connect and a boost to replace the bridge. Come home read the instructions and install both.

Problem is better but not as good as before but. Just in case anyone is having similar issues check for old products.

I’m using Apple Music , pandora and Spotify as services bc my family each has their own favorites. It seems that the Apple Music runs best. The other 2 are still hit and miss. For example the Spotify interface does not allow for which speakers you can choose line the apple sonos interface.

A call to Sonos tech support is brutal as the person you speak to does not speak enough English to understand my issue let alone solve it. I’m off today so perhaps I’ll take another stab at it.

Anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I have SONOS speakers but I don’t use a bridge or connect. I use my iPad and/or phone to stream to the SONOS speakers. All of my SONOS are the old ones which are supported only by the S1 App. SONOS is not updating the app nor the firmware on any part of my system - that requires replacing all speakers with the newer ones. Given that mine works fine, there is no reason to replace/update/upgrade.

So differences between our systems that might account for your difficulties:
Bridge and/or Connect
App you are using
Streaming sources (I use either my own music or stream radio stations, not any of the streaming apps you are using. Perhaps one of those no longer supports the old speakers).
Mix of speakers or other SONOS hardware (v1 and v2) - all of mine are V1.

Hope that helps

I assume you’re Wi-Fi is up to the streaming with whatever other traffic it has. Worth looking at that, too, to be certain.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      09-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

And this is exactly why I am not updating ANY of my Sonos products. Everything Sonos was working perfectly, and then they decide to create two apps, namely S1 and S2. I have one "unsupported" amp and I have no desire to either sell it, or update the software. Everything works perfectly fine. I need to play songs. Nothing else. I don't understand why every single damn day they come up with these crazy updates. Drives me mad. Won't spend another cent with them until they stop this nonsense. It's been very frustrating.

If you want to have a laugh, read everyone's negative experiences with the new S1/S2 apps on the App Store. It's painful.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      09-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Like 2000cs I also have my whole house connected with a ton of various Sonos products straight through my WiFi without a bridge or connect and have no problems. All of my products work on the gold p2 app without a hitch.

The only time I've ever had issues was when I tried a mesh extender, that thing f'd up everything here with every brand of "connected" home devices (Nest, Sonos, Alexa) so I just bought a new extra strong router and started over.

We have 4 floors but our house has a relatively small footprint and my router reaches everywhere. Can your router reach all your Sonos products on its own? If it does, I'd ditch the Bridge and Connect and try it that way.

Good luck
      09-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I purchased a home where previous owner had a Sonos system installed. They took all speakers and left an bridge and a connect. I added 10 play one speakers and 4 play 5 speakers, 2 move and 2 subs. Everything was working beautifully.

Then 3 months ago things starting getting laggy. Buggy and non responsive. I can eventually get it running but it's a pita.

Call Sonos and they tell me my system has 2 non supported devices that may be causing the issue. I explained that everything was working perfectly before and
Nothing Sonos was changed. They said the updates that they pushed are for the new products and basically no thought about Old products. I'm not happy but I go to Best Buy and get a port to replace the connect and a boost to replace the bridge. Come home read the instructions and install both.

Problem is better but not as good as before but. Just in case anyone is having similar issues check for old products.

I'm using Apple Music , pandora and Spotify as services bc my family each has their own favorites. It seems that the Apple Music runs best. The other 2 are still hit and miss. For example the Spotify interface does not allow for which speakers you can choose line the apple sonos interface.

A call to Sonos tech support is brutal as the person you speak to does not speak enough English to understand my issue let alone solve it. I'm off today so perhaps I'll take another stab at it.

Anyone else.
I'll just say that if you had a qualified professional DESIGN and install your distributed audio solution, then you'd just call them and they'd be responsible for making it work as promised. Then again, perhaps the pro would have designed a more robust solution instead of the DIY consumer crap that your dealing with. 16 zones deserves a real professional solution, and not tabletop WiFi speakers.

Just saying.

SONOS is a good tool for smaller systems that are 8 zones or less. Sure, you can build a big SONOS system but I wouldn't trust that in my home. Who the hell wants to chase stupid bugs like this?
      09-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Quote:

Then 3 months ago things starting getting laggy. Buggy and non responsive. I can eventually get it running but it's a pita.

Nothing Sonos was changed. They said the updates that they pushed are for the new products and basically no thought about Old products. I'm not happy but I go to Best Buy and get a port to replace the connect and a boost to replace the bridge. Come home read the instructions and install both.

I'm using Apple Music , pandora and Spotify as services bc my family each has their own favorites. It seems that the Apple Music runs best. The other 2 are still hit and miss. For example the Spotify interface does not allow for which speakers you can choose line the apple sonos interface.

A call to Sonos tech support is brutal as the person you speak to does not speak enough English to understand my issue let alone solve it. I'm off today so perhaps I'll take another stab at it.

Anyone else.
I'll just say that if you had a qualified professional DESIGN and install your distributed audio solution, then you'd just call them and they'd be responsible for making it work as promised. Then again, perhaps the pro would have designed a more robust solution instead of the DIY consumer crap that your dealing with. 16 zones deserves a real professional solution, and not tabletop WiFi speakers.

Just saying.

SONOS is a good tool for smaller systems that are 8 zones or less. Sure, you can build a big SONOS system but I wouldn't trust that in my home. Who the hell wants to chase stupid bugs like this?
I agree, to a point. We had a professional design and install the AV in our home theater 9 years ago. It cost about 13x as much for that one room where sound and picture quality was really important, than it did to just be able to have music through the rest of the house using consumer friendly Sonos.

After 9 years, I'd say our home theater is pretty outdated and could use an upgrade, plus it's much fussier and fiddlier trying to get perfect settings than the main tv we watch with our arc.

Like everything though, professional is the way to go if it's really important to have the best. I just want to watch a movie with decent sound and hear songs
      09-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I had a professional instal an Elan system in my last home. It also was great from the start but needed more maintenance than tropical fish. Purchased this home in November and started shaking out the bugs replacing or repairing -electrical , plumbing and security The Covid hit and we did not let workmen I to the house.

I set up Sonos and it was great until they started messing with Apps and equipment upgrades that were. It ready for prime time. I called a pro to sort out and they have similar issues.

My next move is to delete app reset everything and re set up. Why do I need a pro for that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post

Just saying.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #8
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

At one point I too had a house full of Sonos speakers connected via WiFi and the Sonos app. I was streaming music from Amazon music, my own iTunes library and Spotify with a lot of time invested in customized playlists. Everything worked perfectly for a few years, then recent app updates turned it all to sh#t with frequent drops, playlists not playing all songs, etc.

I got so frustrated I replaced the entire system with Naim Mu-so Qbs and never looked back!

https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-qb
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
P111541.50
      09-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Good to know about this option BMWGUYinCO in case my Sonos ever takes a dump! Thanks for this.
      09-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:

Then 3 months ago things starting getting laggy. Buggy and non responsive. I can eventually get it running but it’s a pita.

Nothing Sonos was changed. They said the updates that they pushed are for the new products and basically no thought about Old products. I’m not happy but I go to Best Buy and get a port to replace the connect and a boost to replace the bridge. Come home read the instructions and install both.

I’m using Apple Music , pandora and Spotify as services bc my family each has their own favorites. It seems that the Apple Music runs best. The other 2 are still hit and miss. For example the Spotify interface does not allow for which speakers you can choose line the apple sonos interface.

A call to Sonos tech support is brutal as the person you speak to does not speak enough English to understand my issue let alone solve it. I’m off today so perhaps I’ll take another stab at it.

Anyone else.
Dude, you must have a huge house with 10+ Sonos speakers! I'm confused as to what the Bridge and Connect are for. What is their function? Those two devices might be unnecessary thus creating problems. A few months ago Sonos did declare what are legacy products. If I remember correctly those legacy products will be controlled with a different app or something.

https://blog.sonos.com/en/end-of-sof...gacy-products/

In my tiny house I have 4 Sonos speakers without a Connect or Bridge integrated with Alexa.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
DJDJR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g05 45e on order!

Quote:

Anyone else.

Try get one of the devices onto Ethernet. You won’t have issues. I had drop outs and all sorts with my Sonos set up until I went Ethernet. Been a blast ever since!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I have the Bose system and thankfully haven't had any issues but it seems from the forums that when people do it is usually from software updates as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I have a bridge with 6 x Play 3’s a sound bar and an sub.

I have my turntable hooked up to the bridge and primarily use that and Spotify all with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #14
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

That’s the plan.

Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-RDJ View Post
Try get one of the devices onto Ethernet. You won’t have issues. I had drop outs and all sorts with my Sonos set up until I went Ethernet. Been a blast ever since!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:07 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I agree, to a point. We had a professional design and install the AV in our home theater 9 years ago. It cost about 13x as much for that one room where sound and picture quality was really important, than it did to just be able to have music through the rest of the house using consumer friendly Sonos.

After 9 years, I'd say our home theater is pretty outdated and could use an upgrade, plus it's much fussier and fiddlier trying to get perfect settings than the main tv we watch with our arc.

Like everything though, professional is the way to go if it's really important to have the best. I just want to watch a movie with decent sound and hear songs
We also paid a lot of money for a professional who promptly told us he was moving out of state a couple of weeks after he was done. As issues arose (changes to components, changes to DirecTV, etc.), I’ve had to figure things out on my own as other professionals we called for help didn’t want to fiddle with someone else’s work unless they were selling something or uninstalling and reinstalling everything to make it worth their time. I’ll pass on professionals and anything I can’t figure out how to install and maintain myself, but I get why someone with an unconstrained budget would use one.
wrickem2101.00
      09-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I’m on app version 11.1 and never upgrading. It works great, so why mess with it? Nine zones and all functioning just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

We have 4 Play 1 speakers for areas that we just want some background music in but the main use is via four Connects (one of which just turned out to be non Sonos 2 compliant Grrr!) to stream music from my network drive with a terabyte or so of full res music from my CD library.

The set up only gives issues when the company 'improves' the software and uses customers as quality control stooges.....
Appreciate 0