BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Jalopnik: Horsepower As A Status Symbol, And Why Slow People Buy Fast Cars

08-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #23
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

I hate it too. Certain cars were always offered in manual only. I loved that exclusivity because it always weeded out the status guys that cant drive or dont want to drive stick. Now, almost all the cars are offered in auto/DCT. Thank God Ford didnt put an auto in the GT350.
Weed out the guys that don't want manual...
So what they don't? Some people drive in a lot of traffic, some people race & auto is faster than you shifting, pal, & some don't give a F what people think.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #24
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

I hate it too. Certain cars were always offered in manual only. I loved that exclusivity because it always weeded out the status guys that cant drive or dont want to drive stick. Now, almost all the cars are offered in auto/DCT. Thank God Ford didnt put an auto in the GT350.
+1

Also the GT4. It made me smile knowing some posers won't be buying it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

we are always envious (and unconsciously resentful) of those wealthier or with more expensive "toys".

by and large M3 owners or leasees are not paupers. Whether this is saying alot (or not), >90% of F8X owners are well above the poverty line.

for me,
after house, kids/child care, retirement, kiddie 529s, there is a limited pool for
car/track/motorsports stuff. i still had to think pretty long and hard (double check my math) to procure a F80 M3.

it seems like that there people out there with the kind of wealth where they can just drop a couple hundred thou for a car without batting an eye. or at least when we goto a local C&C, see some hyper/super cars and then see their owners, that is the (knee jerk) assumption that we make.

i will bet those types are likely in the minority.

what if in 10yrs (i will be 40-something) i accumulate enough savings to acquire a GT3 RS? the tables are now turned; i pull into a C&C and some enthusiast in a M3 (or something less expensive) sees me getting out.

they just see a "young"-ish dude climbing out of a porsche. i will bet they will make the same assumption that many of us do so now. but little do they know that it took me years of scrimping. years of working. to get that GT3 RS. AND i track the snot out of it.

we make many assumptions, right or wrong. but it's usually short of reality.

just saying
      08-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #26
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
I think you're assuming they're surprised about that. That's not surprising, the whole article was about people who end up with the performance model JUST BECAUSE it happens to be the most expensive. Not because of practicality per se. i.e. Why end up with an M5 over a 550i M sport

It's neither here nor there to me but you see it a lot and it's all based on your perspective. The only reason why I bought a BMW was because of the M3 pedigree as far as actual driving performance not because of it's reputation in the eyes of enthusiasts, fanboys, or people who see it as a status symbol.
I'm not assuming anything, dude spends the first half of his article explaining that as if it's some sort of revelation that everybody doesn't already understand. The real assumption here is that most of the owners of these cars are oblivious to what they have in their possession. Is there any kind of data to back that up? Or is that just another sample of ignorant internet prejudice?

Rough day sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #27
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I'm not assuming anything, dude spends the first half of his article explaining that as if it's some sort of revelation that everybody doesn't already understand. The real assumption here is that most of the owners of these cars are oblivious to what they have in their possession. Is there any kind of data to back that up? Or is that just another sample of ignorant internet prejudice?

Rough day sorry
Forums.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I only buy fast cars to compensate for other inadequacies. As far as the status symbol, I had a very fast Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I could care less whats on the hood; what I care about is whats under the hood.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #29
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
I think you're assuming they're surprised about that. That's not surprising, the whole article was about people who end up with the performance model JUST BECAUSE it happens to be the most expensive. Not because of practicality per se. i.e. Why end up with an M5 over a 550i M sport

It's neither here nor there to me but you see it a lot and it's all based on your perspective. The only reason why I bought a BMW was because of the M3 pedigree as far as actual driving performance not because of it's reputation in the eyes of enthusiasts, fanboys, or people who see it as a status symbol.

Rough day sorry
No need to get flustered.

Sometimes stating the obvious may be necessary with a larger general audience in mind.
      08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #30
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
OP just wishes he had an M4

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #31
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid
TurboSid wishes I wasn't gonna go fling poop at his ford ran... I mean M4
      08-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #32
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid
TurboSid wishes I wasn't gonna go fling poop at his ford ran... I mean M4
      08-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #33
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I thought this was common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:25 AM   #34
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I used to be intrigued by high HP cars, but after 20+ years of being beaten to death with stop/go traffic and speed limits that are so low, I couldn't care less. It's all pointless, just numbers on a sheet to brag about to people. I love my Z4M, but even 330hp is more than anyone would ever need. I rarely even take the car past 4k rpms anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #35
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I may be in the bucket of few here, but never have I bought a car, or anything else for that matter, for the purposes of status. I hate that. Yes, if someone does, I'd call them out for being shallow, superficial, and whatnot, in particular if they're flaunting it, but at the end of the day, to each their own.

When I got my 335i, my cousin, while somewhat poking fun, gave me flack over it. Oooh, a BMW. Gimme a break. My reasoning for buying what I buy is based on what I enjoy, not what or how I want others to see me as. Did I need a BMW? No. Did I want it? Yes. Why? Because I enjoyed how it drove, looked, performed, etc. If someone wants to see it as a status symbol, then that's their own issues to contend with.

As for it being essentially another aspect of a HP war, meh. Will I use that power? Probably. Often? Probably. Will I drive like an asshat? No. Got that out of my system years ago. Will I still drive fast? Probably. I drove fast in my Saturn. No one cared. Now if I do it in a BMW, I'm an asshole who's showing off?

No. It's not a status symbol for me. I could care less if someone assumes that as we know where that goes. As a gear head, auto enthusiast...whatever, my choice is based on a fun factor, not some BS argument about whatever that article was trying to convey.
I hate the whole status symbol crap, I didn't buy my car for that reason. I like RWD, the 6 speed, simplicity, engine, etc. If I didn't like all that, I would have gotten a Honda Civic and saved that money. People don't understand that, they assume you're another one of the million sheep that buy BMWs because of the badge, and I hate being put into that category because it's not a representation of myself
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #36
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Weed out the guys that don't want manual...
So what they don't? Some people drive in a lot of traffic, some people race & auto is faster than you shifting, pal, & some don't give a F what people think.
What's wrong with not liking the fact that more posers can now drive supercars?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #37
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
What's wrong with not liking the fact that more posers can now drive supercars?
You're not a poser if you don't want a manual. You know how many supercars do not even offer a manual?

Appreciate 0