BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion “If you want a manual M, you need to buy it now.”

02-15-2024, 02:55 AM   #23
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Saving for a 2025 M2 MT, the last of an era.
Appreciate 2
jefe2000739.50
eliphil1837.50
      02-15-2024, 06:20 AM   #24
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Enthusiasts of what? An automatic transmission is extracting performance and chasing tenths of a second instead of you. You're just a passenger carried fast. It's like they bake a cake for you and eat it to save you the effort (they make a fast car that goes fast without your involvement).
The enthusiasts are not buying manuals in enough quantities to keep most manufacturers making them.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:11 AM   #25
Malteser_wfj
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2012 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I'm simply saying their current line-up does not lend itself to a manual-transmission car. You can't blame lack of "take" for manuals for killing them off if you don't offer them in anything but real "M" cars. For years manuals were the standard transmission and the autos the option. Then came cell phones, Starbucks, and other things that used up all your hands while driving.

I have made my living selling BMWs since 1976, so I think I do know more about it than many currently at BMW. The right car with a manual is a great car. BMW hasn't had their hearts in the manual since around 2011. The F10 with a manual was an ergonomic disaster. But if you look at the current value of any older BMW stick compared to the same car in an automatic, the difference is stunning. The secondary market for used BMW sticks has been the same as the secondary market for BMW Tourings (wagons) and yet BMW continues to prove that we don't want wagons by bringing in only the M5 in a wagon. That is some self-fulfilling prophecy in which they stack the deck to prove their point. They did this when the E36/5 (318ti) came out and said they were discontinuing it because of poor sales saying Americans just don't buy high-line hatchbacks, when in its lasts full year of production it outsold the combination of all the 3 and 5-series wagons imported. And look at the MINI sales back then, and it's nothing more than a high-line hatchback.

Maybe their stick sales are too poor to continue it, but what I'm saying is don't blame the transmission until you do some sole-searching and see if BMW ever gave the stick a fighting chance by offering it in cars other than the M2/3/4.

When you think back over the BMW models that came ONLY in stick, there are some real winners: M1, 1M, E30 M3, M635Csi/M6, Z8 (non-Alpina), and the first three generations of the M5. So what do you think has changed since then?
I've got to say I agree with you about the ergonomics, it's obvious that the automatic was given priority when it came to cockpit ergonomics. I had an E30, then an E46 both manual and now a manual E92 and the shifter is furthest away in the E92 and I kind of miss how it felt to drive the E46, it was much more 'sporty'.

The other point raised about Euro emissions standards killing them is also true and something I buy into as quite a large reason why manuals haven't been getting huge development over the last decade or so.

But the manufacturers will never come out and openly say that the EU's emissions laws are why they're no longer offering a manual because they'll look like they don't care about the environment. So it's easier (and also true) for them to say that the sales numbers are the reason.

I remember watching a Jason Cammisa video on a manual porsche some time ago and he said the gearing had to be stupidly long to pass a noise test at a certain speed or something like that!

So everything from the cars not suiting manuals, to emissions and legislation are all valid points and contribute together to its sad decline.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:34 AM   #26
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
I'm simply saying their current line-up does not lend itself to a manual-transmission car. You can't blame lack of "take" for manuals for killing them off if you don't offer them in anything but real "M" cars.
There you go again.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:46 AM   #27
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
However, during a recent interview with Italian publication Quattroruote, Frank Weber said “it’s over” for the brand’s manual models, noting that the sales figures for them don’t justify the development costs.
This is a complete lie. BMW doesn't even make their own manual transmission, and the ZF that they use has been largely unchanged for many years. The tech for clutches and the associated bits is the same way, and the DME programming is a joke.

Quote:
Weber did not specify an exact date for when BMW will axe all of its manual options but it could be soon with him adding, “If you want a manual M, you need to buy it now.”
Pure fear mongering hype.

Quote:
“They are fun products, but let’s be honest, the volumes are getting smaller and smaller, and so it doesn’t make sense to develop them anymore,” he said.
I suppose he's forgetting that it's "fun" that makes a car special, and in an age where everyone is going to be commuting in self-driving toasters a manual M-Car makes even more sense.

If BMW kills the manual, they'll bring it back just as fast. Like halo cars, it's not about the cost or the sales, it's about brand image, and I don't think BMW wants to be your average toaster like everyone else.
Appreciate 1
DB_Cooper599.50
      02-15-2024, 08:47 AM   #28
GabesSlowM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IOMG M4/Mustang GT S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
The enthusiasts are not buying manuals in enough quantities to keep most manufacturers making them.
But that's the problem, there isn't enough enthusiasts left who can afford some of these cars. In general there are still plenty of automotive enthusiasts but the ones with the buying power are dwindling quickly.
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2024, 09:18 AM   #29
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
When you think back over the BMW models that came ONLY in stick, there are some real winners: M1, 1M, E30 M3, M635Csi/M6, Z8 (non-Alpina), and the first three generations of the M5. So what do you think has changed since then?
You forgot the Z3M/Z4M on your manual only list
      02-15-2024, 11:41 AM   #30
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malteser_wfj View Post
I've got to say I agree with you about the ergonomics, it's obvious that the automatic was given priority when it came to cockpit ergonomics. I had an E30, then an E46 both manual and now a manual E92 and the shifter is furthest away in the E92 and I kind of miss how it felt to drive the E46, it was much more 'sporty'.

The other point raised about Euro emissions standards killing them is also true and something I buy into as quite a large reason why manuals haven't been getting huge development over the last decade or so.

But the manufacturers will never come out and openly say that the EU's emissions laws are why they're no longer offering a manual because they'll look like they don't care about the environment. So it's easier (and also true) for them to say that the sales numbers are the reason.

I remember watching a Jason Cammisa video on a manual porsche some time ago and he said the gearing had to be stupidly long to pass a noise test at a certain speed or something like that!

So everything from the cars not suiting manuals, to emissions and legislation are all valid points and contribute together to its sad decline.
Exactly the reason why new GT3RS doesn’t come in manual. It wouldn’t pass emissions as a result. There are things manufacturers know but will never admit openly. Business is to big to risk unnecessary repercussions from governing body.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:43 AM   #31
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I suppose he's forgetting that it's "fun" that makes a car special, and in an age where everyone is going to be commuting in self-driving toasters a manual M-Car makes even more sense.

If BMW kills the manual, they'll bring it back just as fast. Like halo cars, it's not about the cost or the sales, it's about brand image, and I don't think BMW wants to be your average toaster like everyone else.
What’s current BMW’s halo car ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:49 AM   #32
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
I did my part
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-15-2024, 02:23 PM   #33
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Look how much fun you are going to miss if you don't drive a manual car. Some OP are kept saying manual gear box is slower. Yes, that is true but speed is not everything Fun start at 10 sec of the video clip.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:28 PM   #34
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

My G82 6 speeds in action
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:18 PM   #35
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
You forgot the Z3M/Z4M on your manual only list
There are plenty of others not on my short list. It was not intended to be all-inclusive. How far back do you want to go?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:09 PM   #36
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Mean while, GR Corolla, GR Yaris, GR86, Civic Type R all equipped with 6MT are sold out in most parts of the world

The ones calling the shots are not enthusiats is why they want to kill off the 6MT. Not hecause there is no market but because they don’t want to create a market for the MT. This is because even though there are profits to be made, the profits are less than if they ditch the 6MT and focus on something else

BMW is no longer a brand for the enthusiast, the writing has been on the wall since the launch of the G platform
Appreciate 2
DB_Cooper599.50
eugenebmw1480.50
      02-16-2024, 01:47 AM   #37
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post

Frank Weber, a key member of BMW’s board, says the writing is on the wall for the brand’s manual transmissions and that includes its enthusiast-oriented M models.
Frank Weber can fuck off. BMW M hasn’t been enthusiast oriented since 2013. Manual trans was the last gasp for air
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:29 AM   #38
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
BMW is no longer a brand for the enthusiast, the writing has been on the wall since the launch of the G platform
That might be debatable. I would agree that it's certainly less for the "classic" enthusiast. There are still some folks do love their M3's and such and drive them pretty hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 05:14 PM   #39
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Enthusiasts of what? An automatic transmission is extracting performance and chasing tenths of a second instead of you. You're just a passenger carried fast. It's like they bake a cake for you and eat it to save you the effort (they make a fast car that goes fast without your involvement).
So well said. I was bored in the c8 after an hour. My C7 provides me thrilling excitement all the time. It’s just that connected feeling you can’t beat
Appreciate 1
No one1044.50
      02-18-2024, 08:35 AM   #40
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Unfortunately, the writing has been on the wall for a long time. Most people just don't want manuals anymore. Fricking Gen Zers don't even want cars or a drivers license!

Thank you BMW for sticking with manuals as long as you have!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 10:43 AM   #41
Rcasa20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan EVO Chevy Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
So well said. I was bored in the c8 after an hour. My C7 provides me thrilling excitement all the time. It’s just that connected feeling you can’t beat
I miss my C7 and can’t wait to get the Z4 so that I can roll thru gears again. The C8 going auto is why I won’t even consider it.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 02:29 PM   #42
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

There’s another factor: the quality of automatic and dual-clutch transmissions has improved enormously in recent decades.

My first car had a three speed Turbo Hydramatic transmission. It was smooth. The car was very thirsty. There was no manual transmission available for it, and it was moot for me anyway.

For each of my next several cars, the manual transmission version that I purchased was better in every way, other than convenience, than the automatic transmission version: more reliable, faster acceleration even for someone with average stick skills, much better gas mileage, etc. Oh, yes, also less expensive, and more fun.

My two most recent cars, both BMWs, have had the ZF 8 speed automatic perforce. It blows out of the water all the automatic transmissions available in all the manual cars that I previously owned.

I briefly considered buying a ‘24 Golf R. Had I done so, I was torn on whether to get the manual or the dual-clutch, since the latter is very good and actually a bit faster than the manual.

Soon enough, electric cars will supplant ICE cars, unless some other technology comes along to upend everything. Enjoy the manual transmissions while they last. But if you have to get a BMW with an automatic, at least you’ll get a high quality one.
      02-26-2024, 04:18 PM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Ya, every now and then we have threads like this and ofc everyone's different bla bla bla, but just like exhaust sound, many ppl overexaggerate the importance of MT, like it's the only thing that matters, when there are many other things that are as much or even more important when one is driving a sportscar. Any able-bodied person can drive a MT, don't make it sound like it's a crazy skill, and I bet if there's a hidden cam in ppl's cars, lots of these supposedly 'amazing' drivers have horrible form and don't even know what they're doing most of the time.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:36 PM   #44
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
just like exhaust sound
No, I won't. Nor the smell.

Quote:
many ppl overexaggerate the importance of MT, like it's the only thing that matters
Many people downplay the importance of MT because it is a thing that matters.

Quote:
there are many other things that are as much or even more important when one is driving a sportscar.
There are many other things that are as much or even more important than whether one is driving a sportscar.

Quote:
Any able-bodied person can drive a MT
Many disable-bodied can drive an AT.

Quote:
don't make it sound like it's a crazy skill
Just choose a MT!

Quote:
if there's a hidden cam in ppl's cars
You won't want to see what AT drivers do.

Quote:
lots of these supposedly 'amazing' drivers have horrible form and don't even know what they're doing most of the time.
This is what made them choose AT.
Appreciate 0