BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Sweating on leather seats

04-26-2024, 07:14 AM   #1
Mike38
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 7

Sweating on leather seats

Hi.
One of the reasons I sold my Miata (NC2) was the leather seats, which made me sweat a lot from spring to fall. My back and .... were always sweaty after I got out of the car. The leather seats are the only thing that challenges my desire to buy a Z4, because (as far as I know) BMW doesn't put other seats in there.
What is your experience ?
Is there any way to solve this ?
Thanks for your ideas.

Is the perforated leather (senatec ?) better choice ?

Last edited by Mike38; 04-29-2024 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:43 AM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Mike, the Z4 comes with their Sensatec interior and all of their leather selections are an upgrade which you pay extra for. Go to a dealer and check it out as the Sensatec seats are available on many of their models.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
There are several versions of Sensatec though. I understand the newer models have a nicer (more supple) version than what the Z4 has.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 08:25 AM   #4
BmwIowa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
There are several versions of Sensatec though. I understand the newer models have a nicer (more supple) version than what the Z4 has.
On another forum post, this issue was mentioned as well. Apparently the Sensatec in the Z4 is an older, non-perforated version that is not as supple as the current version. Am glad our '23 x3 M40i DOES have the newer, more supple and perforated version of Sensatec.

I certainly would prefer a nice fabric..like on our JCW interior, MINI Roadster S..but suspect "best" option might be some type of cloth seat cover but have not investigated options in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:26 AM   #5
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
I really like the perfed sensatec in our x4. If it were available on the z, I would have certainly been interested in that.

OP, I sit on a towel. Keeps the bumm cooler and prevents undue wear on the seat. Win win.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:49 AM   #6
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post

OP, I sit on a towel. Keeps the bumm cooler and prevents undue wear on the seat. Win win.
I live in south Florida and have driven my Z4 countless times with the top down in the middle of the day when the sun is the strongest and the temperature the warmest. The majority of the time I am wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt or T shirt and my butt isn't sweating to the point where I am uncomfortable. 😎
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2024, 11:53 AM   #7
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
I really like the perfed sensatec in our x4. If it were available on the z, I would have certainly been interested in that.

IMO, the perforated sensatec in my wife’s X3 is nicer than the Vernasca leather in my Z4.

Last edited by RigaTony1982; 04-27-2024 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:33 PM   #8
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I live in south Florida and have driven my Z4 countless times with the top down in the middle of the day when the sun is the strongest and the temperature the warmest. The majority of the time I am wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt or T shirt and my butt isn't sweating to the point where I am uncomfortable. 😎
Pretty much the same experience. I keep a beach towel in the car to put over the seat when parked roof down when I can't find shade to park in.

Prevents overheating the seats when I am not in the car.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2024, 11:30 PM   #9
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

To the OP-
Black leather for top-down in 90+ degrees is an absolute no-go.
The red leather is better but I still sweat at 85+degrees in the small of my back and butt.

Turn on the A/C with the top down and direct the vents to the appropriate areas. Don't get black leather. The faster you drive the better air movement you get. Those are the only answers I have. In this vehicle you are at the mercy of the elements and the environment. Some days are better than others. 85+ degrees top-down you will sweat. Direct sun in 90+ temps is brutal no matter what you do.

Top-down ops are ideal in the spring and fall. From May-Aug Tennessee is case-by-case basis on top-down, need to do a weather check before heading out, as usual.

The bottom line is this car has a sweet spot for temp and weather, based on the drivers preferences. Do not be ashamed to bring the top up in the dead heat of summer.

These are my personal experiences. Others will be different. Good luck!
      04-28-2024, 08:56 AM   #10
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
This is the main reason I sold the Z4. The seats don’t breathe at all. Had to take ice packs for my back. I have frequent inflammation in my spine, so probably a corner case. I find the buckets and ventilated seats are much better.

At this price point it should have perforated or ventilated seats.
Appreciate 3
SpeedyATL1901.50
Kevin45E326.00
BmwIowa49.50
      04-28-2024, 10:36 PM   #11
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post

At this price point it should have perforated or ventilated seats.
This would be a complete game changer, I think BMW is missing the boat on this. What a shame. This and my phone melting down are the only gripes I have with this vehicle whatsoever.
      04-29-2024, 12:54 AM   #12
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Think ventilated seats miss the point, especially in a pricey car like a BMW. The M4C has ventilated seats & they suck compared to the cooled seats in my FORD.

FORD has peltier devices to create cool air & fans to force it though the perforations in the leather. Nice thing about a peltier unit is reverse the current & it creates hot air.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory-2; 04-29-2024 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 02:04 AM   #13
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
True. We have the ventilated seats in the X7, and they’re not very effective. Because the Z is such a small area, pushing cold air to the floor and running the ventilated seat would work well enough compared to what it has now.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:55 AM   #14
Mike38
Rep

Quote:
Be happy !!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 04:58 AM   #15
Mike38
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
To the OP-
The red leather is better but I still sweat at 85+degrees in the small of my back and butt.

Turn on the A/C with the top down and direct the vents to the appropriate areas. Don't get black leather. The faster you drive the better air movement you get. Those are the only answers I have. In this vehicle you are at the mercy of the elements and the environment. Some days are better than others. 85+ degrees top-down you will sweat. Direct sun in 90+ temps is brutal no matter what you do.

Top-down ops are ideal in the spring and fall. From May-Aug Tennessee is case-by-case basis on top-down, need to do a weather check before heading out, as usual.

The bottom line is this car has a sweet spot for temp and weather, based on the drivers preferences. Do not be ashamed to bring the top up in the dead heat of summer.

These are my personal experiences. Others will be different. Good luck!
Thank you, good idea !
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:24 AM   #16
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To the OP-

I have owned 4 convertibles since 1994 and would never consider getting one with a black interior. I had a 1994 325i, a 2001 CLK 430 and a 2004 CLK500 which all had a very light grey color leather interior and my 2022 Z4 has the ivory leather seats.

IMHO, the lighter the color of the leather the more comfortable you will be.

You should always use a windshield sun shade when parked. I have the BMW shade but there are many sold in the market by other companies that will fit in the G29 and provide you protection from the extremely strong rays of the sun. 😎

You should definitely tint your side and rear windows with a good quality ceramic product. Window tints do work and will alleviate some of the heat.

When you combine using a sun shade with the tinted windows you hopefully won't burn your butt and back when you enter the car on a hot sunny day.

I owned the first three cars while living in NYC where I spent the summers out in the Hamptons and had the top down while out there 80-90% of the time. Your suggestion about using the AC is excellent as I always had the AC turned on with the top down when warranted and it definitely made a difference.

By the way, a key factor which hasn't been mentioned in determining whether or not to leave the top up on those extremely hot days was the humidity level.
During the "DOG DAYS" of summer where you are dripping wet the minute you walk outdoors I would leave the top up and enjoy the comforts provided by my AC.
Appreciate 1
Rcasa20149.00
      04-29-2024, 09:45 AM   #17
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

My Porsche 997.2 cabriolet had heated and cooled seats that were moderately effective at cooling. So, I don't know why BMW can't do it in the Z4... about the same amount of interior space, up front. Admittedly, I only used the cooling twice. We usually get at least 6 months of top down weather, here. But, only 3 or 4 days where it's too hot and sunny to put the top down.

The seats in the Porsche were leather and the same color as the seats in my Z4, which aren't leather. The Porsche seats felt hotter. I usually look for dark gray or black interior, because I want something that's close to the color of the top. I don't like a lot of different colors together.

Last edited by Balr14; 04-29-2024 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 12:14 PM   #18
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Turn on the A/C with the top down and direct the vents to the appropriate areas. D
I've found that any air directed toward the upper vents is nearly useless because it quickly mixes with ambient air and escapes. When driving with top down on hot days, I adjust the climate controls to use only the lower or mid and lower vents. By excluding the upper vents, a higher volume of air is directed lower in the car where it can be better felt throughout.

Specific temperature setting doesn't matter as long as it's lower than the ambient temperature (when it's 90 degrees, setting the temperature to 60 is no more effective than 72). Adjusting the blower speed is the best way to control comfort when the top is down.Keeping windows rolled up can help significantly as well.

Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  201.0 KB
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 12:37 PM   #19
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I've found that any air directed toward the upper vents is nearly useless because it quickly mixes with ambient air and escapes. When driving with top down on hot days, I adjust the climate controls to use only the lower or mid and lower vents. By excluding the upper vents, a higher volume of air is directed lower in the car where it can be better felt throughout.

Specific temperature setting doesn't matter as long as it's lower than the ambient temperature (when it's 90 degrees, setting the temperature to 60 is no more effective than 72). Adjusting the blower speed is the best way to control comfort when the top is down.Keeping windows rolled up can help significantly as well.

Attachment 3445455
Good info!

My former 2013 Miata Club PRHT had cloth seats which helped to keep them somewhat comfortable in the extreme high/cold temps. I still couldn’t take the Northeast muggy July/August days in temps above 85 and would keep top up in the max sun. The Miata HVAC system had a written instruction along the dial to suggest best choice for airflow/vents used with top down.

Your post is a nice example of best way to direct airflow when HVAC is needed.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6263.50
      04-29-2024, 02:34 PM   #20
Rcasa20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan EVO Chevy Tahoe

This may be the first car I tint the windshield as well. Any little bit helps.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 03:53 PM   #21
Mike38
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Good info!

My former 2013 Miata Club PRHT had cloth seats which helped to keep them somewhat comfortable in the extreme high/cold temps. I still couldn’t take the Northeast muggy July/August days in temps above 85 and would keep top up in the max sun. The Miata HVAC system had a written instruction along the dial to suggest best choice for airflow/vents used with top down.

Your post is a nice example of best way to direct airflow when HVAC is needed.
Cloth or alcantara in Recaro seats is much better than leather.
That is pitty that Z4 does not use alcantara seats like e.g. BMW 4.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 03:55 PM   #22
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
I have owned 4 convertibles since 1994 and would never consider getting one with a black interior. I had a 1994 325i, a 2001 CLK 430 and a 2004 CLK500 which all had a very light grey color leather interior and my 2022 Z4 has the ivory leather seats.

IMHO, the lighter the color of the leather the more comfortable you will be.

You should always use a windshield sun shade when parked. I have the BMW shade but there are many sold in the market by other companies that will fit in the G29 and provide you protection from the extremely strong rays of the sun. 😎

You should definitely tint your side and rear windows with a good quality ceramic product. Window tints do work and will alleviate some of the heat.

When you combine using a sun shade with the tinted windows you hopefully won't burn your butt and back when you enter the car on a hot sunny day.

I owned the first three cars while living in NYC where I spent the summers out in the Hamptons and had the top down while out there 80-90% of the time. Your suggestion about using the AC is excellent as I always had the AC turned on with the top down when warranted and it definitely made a difference.

By the way, a key factor which hasn't been mentioned in determining whether or not to leave the top up on those extremely hot days was the humidity level.
During the "DOG DAYS" of summer where you are dripping wet the minute you walk outdoors I would leave the top up and enjoy the comforts provided by my AC.
^^^^ This (Mostly) ^^^^

I've had 4 convertibles starting in 1987 (all in Florida), a C4 Corvette, and all three generations of Z4.

No black interiors. Use the sunshade when parked outside. I haven't found a need to tint the windows as the amount of glass is small enough to not create a huge greenhouse (OTOH, the X5 has tinted windows). And similarly, my wardrobe is almost exclusively shorts and T-shirts. We have the ventilated seats in the X5. While they're nice on a long drive, I haven't really missed them in the Z4.

I drive with the top down and the AC running when it's over about 80 deg. In the summer, I avoid top down between about 11 am and 5 pm. It's just too hot with the sun. Mornings and evenings are great times to drive top down.

One other trick is to use pre-conditioning to ventilate the car before you head out. I use it with the engine disabled, so it just runs the fan to exhaust the hot air.