BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What's Your TV of Choice?

12-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Been very happy with my Samsung 4k uhd 55in. Have it paired with an LG 300 watt sound bar and people always compliment the sound and picture.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #24
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
The burn-in issue with OLED isn't a panel lottery, they all do it over time, some just faster than others. And it's not about watching the same thing 10 hours a day, it's an accumulation, so if you watch the same channels with the same logo in the corner you're going to have issues at some point.

Also, why even mention Best Buy? I mean, they were rapists last time I checked. NewEgg is probably still your best bet, and for sure stay away from AbesOfMaine.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Here's a pic of my setup with the Pioneer 141FD.

Appreciate 3
      12-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #26
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
So this is my setup and environment. Living room is 17’ x 11’ roughly - it’s open to the kitchen area so there’s more space than 11’ in reality but using the placement of the couch and chairs as a reference point for the boundary of what I consider the living room to be. Vaulted ceilings that go from 8’ at the window up to nearly 15’ or more in the middle of the room.

TV is about 12’ from the couch wall mounted on stationary mount (doesn’t swing out). 65” LG C8 OLED. It’s hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR585 receiver via single HDMI cable. Receiver controls all the inputs into the TV. Currently have an Apple TV 4K, NVIDIA Shield, LG HD Blu-ray player, Comcast X1 set top box, Nakamichi Cassette Deck and Audio-Technica turntable connected to the receiver.

Speaker set up is a Dolby Atmos 3.2.1 configuration so it’s 2 front channel book shelf speakers on stands, a center channel speaker, 2 front upward firing Atmos effects speakers and a sub. All are Elac Debut 2.0 speakers. Haven’t gotten around to getting some small rear surround speakers since it would require pulling wires under the crawl space and up the walls to keep things clean looking.

Certainly not audiophile level but it’s a pretty decent budget setup.
This will be the closest to my environment that I could ask for I’d say. What I’d consider the living space would be about 20’ x 15’ of the total open area of 20’ x 40’. We have a different ceiling style, but all things considered, our space is the same. How do you feel about the 65” at the 12’ viewing distance? I feel like 70” would be perfect for our needs, but there’s nothing really worthwhile at that size and I don’t necessarily want a 75” TV. Not to mention an OLED more than doubles in price between a 65” and 75”.

Is the sound pretty good given that it is in a larger, open space? How does it do with the vaulted ceilings? You’ve effectively got the setup that I have in mind down to the record player. Only thing I’ll change is we’ll have an Xbox for the hour of video games I play a month.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
The burn-in issue with OLED isn't a panel lottery, they all do it over time, some just faster than others. And it's not about watching the same thing 10 hours a day, it's an accumulation, so if you watch the same channels with the same logo in the corner you're going to have issues at some point.

Also, why even mention Best Buy? I mean, they were rapists last time I checked. NewEgg is probably still your best bet, and for sure stay away from AbesOfMaine.
I hear all too many people say they will never buy a TV online. Is this because the UPS man is tossing your $5k TV over the fence?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
This will be the closest to my environment that I could ask for I’d say. What I’d consider the living space would be about 20’ x 15’ of the total open area of 20’ x 40’. We have a different ceiling style, but all things considered, our space is the same. How do you feel about the 65” at the 12’ viewing distance? I feel like 70” would be perfect for our needs, but there’s nothing really worthwhile at that size and I don’t necessarily want a 75” TV. Not to mention an OLED more than doubles in price between a 65” and 75”.

Is the sound pretty good given that it is in a larger, open space? How does it do with the vaulted ceilings? You’ve effectively got the setup that I have in mind down to the record player. Only thing I’ll change is we’ll have an Xbox for the hour of video games I play a month.
I don't see any vinyl setup in his post. Are you referring to mine? My room is very different than what you have.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I hear all too many people say they will never buy a TV online. Is this because the UPS man is tossing your $5k TV over the fence?
It really depends on the company. Value Electronics is a very reputable company that sells online in addition to their brick and mortar store. They've been very present at AVS Forums and is a sponsor of a yearly best of TV shoot out which many well respected individuals in the A/V community has participated in.

https://www.valueelectronics.com/#gsc.tab=0

I personally have purchased from a company online called Cleveland Plasma and have had no issues. I found them on AVS Forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So this is my setup and environment. Living room is 17’ x 11’ roughly - it’s open to the kitchen area so there’s more space than 11’ in reality but using the placement of the couch and chairs as a reference point for the boundary of what I consider the living room to be. Vaulted ceilings that go from 8’ at the window up to nearly 15’ or more in the middle of the room.

TV is about 12’ from the couch wall mounted on stationary mount (doesn’t swing out). 65” LG C8 OLED. It’s hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR585 receiver via single HDMI cable. Receiver controls all the inputs into the TV. Currently have an Apple TV 4K, NVIDIA Shield, LG HD Blu-ray player, Comcast X1 set top box, Nakamichi Cassette Deck and Audio-Technica turntable connected to the receiver.

Speaker set up is a Dolby Atmos 3.2.1 configuration so it’s 2 front channel book shelf speakers on stands, a center channel speaker, 2 front upward firing Atmos effects speakers and a sub. All are Elac Debut 2.0 speakers. Haven’t gotten around to getting some small rear surround speakers since it would require pulling wires under the crawl space and up the walls to keep things clean looking.

Certainly not audiophile level but it’s a pretty decent budget setup.
Nakamichi cassette deck? Is that the Dragon by chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #31
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't see any vinyl setup in his post. Are you referring to mine? My room is very different than what you have.
He had mentioned an Audio Technica turntable.

But your setup is pretty badass! This home is intended for a place to be for the next five years. Next home will have a dedicated media room.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
He had mentioned an Audio Technica turntable.

But your setup is pretty badass! This home is intended for a place to be for the next five years. Next home will have a dedicated media room.
You're right. I missed that in his post.

Thank you on the compliment. Yes, that setup has been a long labor of love and has been my sanctuary lately. I bought this house as new construction and purposely did not have the basement finished. The way the builder was going to build out the basement was not what I wanted and any deviation from their plans is impossible. So I waited till the time was right (ie money) to get the room built out.

Have no regrets with the finished product. Pretty much no changes to the system since having the room completed. Only changes have been the surround processor (went from a Meridian 568.2MM to a Meridian G65), addition of a Meridian HD621, moving the VPI turntable into this system and adding a Vincent Audio PHO-700 tube phono preamp, changed Blu Ray player from an Oppo 103 to an Oppo 203, and replacing the dead Carver TFM-25 amp with a Emotiva XPA-2.

When you get around to your forever home and building out your dedicated room, make sure the room gets the same level of attention if not more than the rest of your system. Components and such can be upgraded. The room....well not so much after it's been built. The room accounts for the biggest part of the ultimate audio experience you'll get. I always cringe when I see ego pics from those that spent 5 figures for a pair of speakers to have them set up poorly in a room and the room being a total acoustical nightmare. I get flamed when I say they wasted their money and would have achieved the same results by buying speakers that are 1/5 of the price.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #33
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I think they are talking about the old days when TV's were much heavier. Today's TV's are so light that you're pretty safe buying online.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Nakamichi cassette deck? Is that the Dragon by chance?
Haha, don’t I wish! No, it’s a CR-1A which was a very basic 2-head Nakamichi. I actually had a full receiver/cassette/CD combo setup in high school with this deck and when we moved in to this house wanted to be able to play some old cassettes I still had so picked up the same exact model for something like $90 on eBay. Really good condition too.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #35
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I’m happy with the 65” in our space but once its up on the wall and you’ve gotten used to it, it doesn’t seem big anymore. I don’t know if a 75” would have worked as well visually due to the fact that it’s between the left wall and a fireplace on the right in the middle of the room. Any bigger may have dominated the wall and wouldn’t leave much gap on the sides where the speakers are.

That said, if that wasn’t an issue and I was looking now, I’d probably get the 75” C9 since it’s a lot cheaper than that class used to be. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend almost 10k on a TV. If your wall allows something like a 75”, I’d go for it.

I’m happy with the sound overall. The Onkyo does have a setup mode with a mic that measures each channel in the room to optimize the EQ for the space. The vaulted ceiling angle is probably not ideal for the Atmos effects since the height of the left ceiling is lower than the right side which can’t help the bounce/reflection but nothing major. Like zx10guy said, you don’t want to go crazy on good audio in a less than acoustically ideal room, so I went for decent budget stuff since I can’t do much about the ceiling.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
      12-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #36
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha, don’t I wish! No, it’s a CR-1A which was a very basic 2-head Nakamichi. I actually had a full receiver/cassette/CD combo setup in high school with this deck and when we moved in to this house wanted to be able to play some old cassettes I still had so picked up the same exact model for something like $90 on eBay. Really good condition too.
Yeah. I was wondering. I used to lust after that tape deck. The other one which was cool was the RX 303. The fact Nakamichi came up with a mechanism which physically flips the cassetter was pretty cool.

I still have a Onkyo TA 2600 3 head tape deck. Couldn't afford the TA 2800 at the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #37
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. I was wondering. I used to lust after that tape deck. The other one which was cool was the RX 303. The fact Nakamichi came up with a mechanism which physically flips the cassetter was pretty cool.

I still have a Onkyo TA 2600 3 head tape deck. Couldn't afford the TA 2800 at the time.
Yeah, those were badass back in the day and are insanely expensive now if you can even find one. I think even the one I have in 1989 dollars was the equivalent to $800 today.

My Dad was into home audio in the late 70s/80s and used to have a tube amp/pre-amp powering some Miller & Kreisel Satellite 1s and a sub. He still has his 3-head Nakamichi 482z somewhere that I should grab as an upgrade to this CR-1A.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      12-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #38
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
I have the legendary Pioneer Kuro. A 141FD to be exact. The only TV I would view as an upgrade to the Kuro is an OLED TV.
I replaced my Kuro with a 65” Panasonic EZ series OLED in the family room couldn’t be happier.

Also have a 65” & 55” LG C series OLED in the basement and master bedroom.

The Panasonic is a slightly better picture, but it’s splitting hairs and I couldn’t justify the extra cost to put Panasonics in the basement and bedroom.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      12-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #39
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

When im not upstairs watching 4k 9n the 135in screen, I'm chilling in the family room with our 808n Vizio which I've had for years. Although I have been sooooooo tempted to grab multiple TVs in the last 2 years, this TV after calibration is still very impressive!
But I am eyeballing this particular 86in LG or 84 in Samsung to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #40
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
This is my area of professional expertise, so I'll chime in...

Considering it sounds like you have a fairly bright room, an OLED display doesn't sound like the best option. However I will add that if off-axis (sitting your the side) performance is important an OLED could be the way to go.

OLED's two advantages are contrast/black level, and off-axis performance. This comes at a significant cost though... OLEDs struggle to achieve modern levels of brightness. This can be a major hinderance in a bright room, or when watching High Dynamic Range (or eventually Hybrid Log Gamma) content.

Personally, I find most rooms without an ability to control ambient light are better served by an LCD display. While these displays can't achieve the deepest blacks like an OLED; they make up for it (at least in a lit room) with brightness.

Car guys can think of panel brightness like a car's horsepower. OLED displays are akin to a lightweight car with low horsepower. These are great for light controlled rooms, or off-axis seating positions. LCD displays are more balanced performers with power o n tap. This power is very beneficial in a lit room and with HDR/HLG content. This is VERY apparent when you put an OLED and LCD display next to one another and play a bright scene.

My strong recommendation for those not getting their display professionally calibrated, is to buy a SONY XBR. They have the strongest out-the-box performance. Just select Cinema Home or Cinema Pro video presets. They're actually pretty good.

Samsung makes a good set too. Their strong point is color reproduction. I do really like their better QLED displays... The have great "color volume." This means their colors stay vibrant even at the highest brightness levels. Samsung kinda reminds me of a Porsche GT car than can be hammered and not have performance drop off as it gets hot. I'm just not personally a big fan of how they handle motion (although some differ); and I'm not the biggest fan of the smart tv platform.

Cost not an issue, I'd buy a SONY Z9G.
      12-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #41
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Considering it sounds like you have a fairly bright room, an OLED display doesn't sound like the best option. However I will add that if off-axis (sitting your the side) performance is important an OLED could be the way to go.

OLED's two advantages are contrast/black level, and off-axis performance. This comes at a significant cost though... OLEDs struggle to achieve modern levels of brightness. This can be a major hinderance in a bright room, or when watching High Dynamic Range (or eventually Hybrid Log Gamma) content.

Personally, I find most rooms without an ability to control ambient light are better served by an LCD display. While these displays can't achieve the deepest blacks like an OLED; they make up for it (at least in a lit room) with brightness.

Car guys can think of panel brightness like a car's horsepower. OLED displays are akin to a lightweight car with low horsepower. These are great for light controlled rooms, or off-axis seating positions. LCD displays are more balanced performers with power o n tap. This power is very beneficial in a lit room and with HDR/HLG content. This is VERY apparent when you put an OLED and LCD display next to one another and play a bright scene.

My strong recommendation for those not getting their display professionally calibrated, is to buy a SONY XBR. They have the strongest out-the-box performance. Just select Cinema Home or Cinema Pro video presets. They're actually pretty good.

Samsung makes a good set too. Their strong point is color reproduction. I do really like their better QLED displays... The have great "color volume." This means their colors stay vibrant even at the highest brightness levels. Samsung kinda reminds me of a Porsche GT car than can be hammered and not have performance drop off as it gets hot. I'm just not personally a big fan of how they handle motion (although some differ); and I'm not the biggest fan of the smart tv platform.

Cost not an issue, I'd buy a SONY Z9G.
So what are your thoughts on Samsung not supporting Dolby Vision? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Q80.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #42
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
So what are your thoughts on Samsung not supporting Dolby Vision? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Q80.
Q80 is a good set. IMO the whole HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision debate is decided by which your content source favors. Dolby Vision is a higher standard, but in reality that's not the whole story. I like UHD Blu-Ray discs and haven't come across much Dolby Vision content. It would be foolish for me to put a lot of stock in DV support. Conversely, Dolby Vision is prevalent on some streaming sources. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I streamed from say, Amazon a lot. I'd do some research on where you're getting your video content and try to identify a trend.