Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Upgrading from a 2006 to a 2020

After falling in love with a 2006 Z4 3.0i that I bought in January of this year, I have decided to get a 2020 Z4 M40i when I retire in a few weeks.

I live in Texas, and dealerships are considered "essential" businesses (for that matter, churches are also considered essential). Because there are no more walk-ins, my wife and I made an appointment to meet with a salesperson yesterday (Saturday). There were a few salespeople there and during our whole visit we were the only customers that we saw, although the service center was busy.

After providing the build code for the specific options I wanted, there was only 1 vehicle for sale in the US that matched my criteria, and it was in NYC. I put down a $1000 deposit and they said they would be contacting the NYC dealership to arrange a trade with what they have in their inventory in order to get it here in Texas. No hard numbers discussed yet except for incentives because it was useless to do so in the event they couldn't get the car.

I also provided two other build codes as secondary criteria, and there were only two available, each in Florida. The secondary criteria are minor things such as interior aluminum trim.

I guess the inventory for the M40i in Frozen Metallic Grey are quite slim...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #2
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall0n View Post
After falling in love with a 2006 Z4 3.0i that I bought in January of this year, I have decided to get a 2020 Z4 M40i when I retire in a few weeks.

I live in Texas, and dealerships are considered "essential" businesses (for that matter, churches are also considered essential). Because there are no more walk-ins, my wife and I made an appointment to meet with a salesperson yesterday (Saturday). There were a few salespeople there and during our whole visit we were the only customers that we saw, although the service center was busy.

After providing the build code for the specific options I wanted, there was only 1 vehicle for sale in the US that matched my criteria, and it was in NYC. I put down a $1000 deposit and they said they would be contacting the NYC dealership to arrange a trade with what they have in their inventory in order to get it here in Texas. No hard numbers discussed yet except for incentives because it was useless to do so in the event they couldn't get the car.

I also provided two other build codes as secondary criteria, and there were only two available, each in Florida. The secondary criteria are minor things such as interior aluminum trim.

Good to hear that you found one in the spec you wanted! There's not a lot of things to option on this car, but the ones you can choose from are important. I was in the same situation, except the one that was available locally was frozen grey and I wanted white. My dealership found maybe the only white one in Canada that had the specifications I wanted:

Alpine White exterior
Red Magma interior
Black rims
Shadowline
Premium package
Black kidney grill
Black mirror caps
Driver assist package
Tetragon pattern trim

I got mine about 10 weeks ago and I've been loving it! Although it hasn't really warmed up enough here to drive top down.

Enjoy your retirement and Z4!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall0n View Post

Would you be willing to custom order? Doesn’t sound like two month wait is a big issue? You can probably get better pricing taking one from in stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

moved from 2007 Mcoupe to 2020

I have not historically been a fan of the Z3 or the Z4 but loved the Z4 Mcoupe when it came out and was a great car until I sold it recently. Comparing the two though I have to say I am loving this new car much more - it has comfort when you want it and all the tech but has power beyond that car when you want it. My wife always wanted to take her truck SUV when we did day trips to Napa Valley and hated the harsh ride of the 2007 but she loves day trips in the new car. Excited to use this car in the next year or so after retiring for more of that! If you are making the change I am sure you will love it as much as I have. It is a great car and I consider it a great bargain in terms of value for the money contrary to these reviews saying it is $$$. Enjoy the new ride and with spring coming lots of good top down driving ahead....

Ted
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
tall0n
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Would you be willing to custom order? Doesn’t sound like two month wait is a big issue? You can probably get better pricing taking one from in stock.
Yes, I had planned on doing a special order before the factory closed in Graz, Austria. When I talked with the salesperson a few days ago, she said that BMW didn't know when the factory would re-open, and that if I placed a special order, I would be in the queue for when it started up again.
If the dealership here can get one of the three cars I specified, Ill get it thru them. If they can't, Ill buy it from the NYC dealership and have it shipped to my house.
I don't mind waiting, because I can drive my '06 Z4. Its all good!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
tall0n
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedbay View Post
.......Enjoy the new ride and with spring coming lots of good top down driving ahead....Ted
Thank you.

Its sunny today, with a high of 66 degrees and no wind. If I didn't feel so guilty driving around due to what's going on, we would be driving the '06 Z4 with the top down all day today.

As it is, Ill probably stay inside and watch more YouTube videos. These days are starting to run together....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
It is a great car and I consider it a great bargain in terms of value for the money contrary to these reviews saying it is $$$.
Ted
I agree 100%. I don't get the value comments as the closest competitor to the G29 is a Porsche Boxster at a 50% cost premium.....

I cross shopped the Z4 M40i, Boxster S, SLC43AMG, Jaguar F type V6S, etc. and the Z4 was the least expensive of the bunch and outperformed the others except the Boxster in some catagories. The Z4 also had the most up-to-date look, feel and electronics.

Dave
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410783.00
JustChris17423.00
      04-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Quote:
It is a great car and I consider it a great bargain in terms of value for the money contrary to these reviews saying it is $$$.
Ted
I agree 100%. I don't get the value comments as the closest competitor to the G29 is a Porsche Boxster at a 50% cost premium.....

I cross shopped the Z4 M40i, Boxster S, SLC43AMG, Jaguar F type V6S, etc. and the Z4 was the least expensive of the bunch and outperformed the others except the Boxster in some catagories. The Z4 also had the most up-to-date look, feel and electronics.

Dave
Yep spot on that. The Z4 is actually excellent value.

I just need to convince the wife we need one as a 2nd car