BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Have You Guys Tried Purchasing Household Essentials?

03-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #265
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
^ Waiting for Big Marcus’ results...
Over / under is a century
      03-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #266
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
^ Waiting for Big Marcus’ results...
I tried but couldn't get the results to work for me.

However We should we good to go... Figuratively speaking.

I had been nearly out of disinfecting wipes until Tuesday. I happen to be at the store when they were unloading the pallets of lysol and clorox wipes. All stocked up.
Also something not mentioned, wet wipes for your tush are a MUST have over here! Fortunately I was able to get those on Amazon early on. Paper Towels are the only thing in limited supply over here. But I can always trade some TP.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #267
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Paper towels are fairly easy (relative to TP) to find on Walmart and Amazon if you keep checking on them. Costco had some SoftSoap online a little while ago if anyone is looking for some.
      03-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #268
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Decided to hit the store tonight. The local WM still had ZERO TP or PT on the shelves. No chicken & barely any beef. Some bread was there.

I was annoyed they still had no zucchini lol. No fresh green beans either so I got no fresh veggies.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #269
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

There is chicken and beef online / delivered if willing to pay the price for good stuff.
      03-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #270
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

This whole TP thing proves that people are just friggin' stupid. We don't deserve to survive as a species. We're dumb as f**king rocks. WTF is with the TP hoarding still!?! Stop hoarding it and there will be plenty!

If I see someone with a bunch of TP in their cart (assuming there is any to be had), I'd be tempted to cold-cock them just because.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
vreihen1615220.00
      03-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #271
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
There is chicken and beef online / delivered if willing to pay the price for good stuff.
We ordered some packaged meals a couple of days ago that were supposed to be delivered by Fedex today. I *hate* Fedex. They suck. And of course they listed delivery as today right up until 8PM when they changed the delivery date to "undetermined." The package is and has been an hour north of here since yesterday and they couldn't get it to us today. Now it will *maybe* get delivered on Monday. But because it has meat in it, I doubt it will be usable.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #272
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
We ordered some packaged meals a couple of days ago that were supposed to be delivered by Fedex today. I *hate* Fedex. They suck. And of course they listed delivery as today right up until 8PM when they changed the delivery date to "undetermined." The package is and has been an hour north of here since yesterday and they couldn't get it to us today. Now it will *maybe* get delivered on Monday. But because it has meat in it, I doubt it will be usable.
Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear. I have more issues with UPS than FedEx nowadays but they are both strained to the maximum right now. I had a problem late last year with FedEx not delivering some pork tenderloin as scheduled on a Friday with no redelivery planned attempt until the following Monday (unrelated to COVID or any other crisis, just bad delivery service). I wasn't interested in meats sitting in a warehouse or truck all weekend, so I declined delivery, contacted vendor and got a credit back. Still, I would have preferred on-time delivery as I am sure you would right now.

I was able to get some frozen chicken breasts from Kansas City Steak Company delivered on time and order steaks from Allen Brothers (Chicago) at least a couple of times a year (freezer full right now). If you order frozen meat that ships with dry ice it gives a little longer margin of error for delivery. Of course here in South Florida it isn't that much of a margin even then when frozen due to the heat.

Some other places are Joyce Farm, Omaha Steaks, Snake River Farms, Lobel's of NY, Pat LaFrieda and Flannery Beef, among others. Some ship fresh and others ship frozen and the places I listed offer a wide variety of quality and corresponding prices.
      03-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #273
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
So I just got home from my weekly food shopping. It’s getting better but still no paper products. Milk, butter, eggs, meat including chicken were stocked. Canned and dry goods slim to none. Don’t even think about laundry detergent or any cleaning supplies. Seems the perishables are coming through. And of course I forgot my reusable bags home. The ban on plastic bags started March 1 here.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615220.00
      03-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #274
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
So I just got home from my weekly food shopping. It’s getting better but still no paper products. Milk, butter, eggs, meat including chicken were stocked. Canned and dry goods slim to none. Don’t even think about laundry detergent or any cleaning supplies. Seems the perishables are coming through. And of course I forgot my reusable bags home. The ban on plastic bags started March 1 here.
That's weird, they don't want us bringing our reusable bags here.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615220.00
      03-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #275
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
This whole TP thing proves that people are just friggin' stupid. We don't deserve to survive as a species. We're dumb as f**king rocks. WTF is with the TP hoarding still!?! Stop hoarding it and there will be plenty!

If I see someone with a bunch of TP in their cart (assuming there is any to be had), I'd be tempted to cold-cock them just because.
My manager told me about his TP incident. He had to go scouring around the area to find a store with TP as he was pretty much out. Found a Food Lion that just got a shipment in. He said everyone around him was decent and took one pack. He took two. He got in line and around the corner comes this guy with his shopping cart full of TP. To give you a picture of who my manager is. He's about 6'3" and about 240lbs. Retired military and doesn't have much of a filter. He was thinking, "Are you serious?" But didn't realize he wasn't thinking it but blurted it out pretty loudly. The guy with the cart gave him a dirty look and everyone else around my manager was chuckling as they were thinking the same thing.

As much as many of us try to be decent people, we can't count on it especially with the me first society in this country. I personally hold the retailers responsible for the situation we're in. Ok. First day or so, yeah, maybe not reacting to the hoarding is understandable. But after that, they all should have clamped down seriously and limited the number purchases. They're now doing this which is too little too late. I chuckle as I see signs hanging on empty shelves saying due to current circumstances they're limiting purchases of these items to 2 per person. I keep thinking, where was this policy 2 weeks ago MF'ers?
Appreciate 4
Salty Dog3572.50
M_Six16885.50
vreihen1615220.00
      03-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #276
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I haven't bought one cleaning product or TP since this shit all started. I'm one of those people who just always has everything stocked. I am out of Clorox wipes and would love a canister but guess what can't find a flippin one anywhere because of the mass hoarding.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #277
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:

The reason is when one person coughs, 100 people shit themselves. That's why they need so much toilet paper.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #278
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

When I went out to the beach area, I was hoping the hoarding would be less out there. Nope. Total chaos. I was looking around for a friend who wanted to get some disinfectant wipes. He's a truck driver and wanted to be able to wipe down areas he comes in contact. Oh...and he has a more severe subset of sickle cell anemia and was hospitalized about 2 weeks ago because he had a flare up.

I myself fall into the current definition of being in the high risk group being that I have had two cancers and am dealing with cardiac issues.

Again....me first and F' everyone else.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615220.00
      03-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #279
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For laundry supplies and some cleaning products, just keep looking online at Costco, Walmart and Amazon, as in several times a day. It beats going to the store over and over. TP is still tough to find, but I’ve found paper towels, Kleenex and Softsoap online. Caveats: I’ve had a couple of Costco orders cancelled and there are a lot of third party sellers price gouging on Amazon. Bought some cereal for $5.15 today at grocery store that is on Amazon (in a smaller sized box) for $14. Also need to be careful with unknown sellers on random websites, which I’d avoid.

I did find some lean ground beef, hot dogs, 1/2 and 1/2 and cereal today so I agree perishables are getting better. Plenty of milk and chicken available too, as well as some pasta, but we are well stocked on those so didn’t get any. No paper products and very limited canned goods. We are stocked with cleaning so didn’t look but expect there was limited to none.
      03-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #280
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
For laundry supplies and some cleaning products, just keep looking online at Costco, Walmart and Amazon, as in several times a day. It beats going to the store over and over. TP is still tough to find, but I’ve found paper towels, Kleenex and Softsoap online. Caveats: I’ve had a couple of Costco orders cancelled and there are a lot of third party sellers price gouging on Amazon. Bought some cereal for $5.15 today at grocery store that is on Amazon (in a smaller sized box) for $14. Also need to be careful with unknown sellers on random websites, which I’d avoid.

I did find some lean ground beef, hot dogs, 1/2 and 1/2 and cereal today so I agree perishables are getting better. Plenty of milk and chicken available too, as well as some pasta, but we are well stocked on those so didn’t get any. No paper products and very limited canned goods. We are stocked with cleaning so didn’t look but expect there was limited to none.

Thanks for the suggestions. My post was more of a state of things. I really have everything I need with the exception of paper towels. Down to 3 rolls or so. I ordered toilet paper and paper towels from the vendor that supplies my business. Toilet paper came, paper towels on back order. We have plenty in the office but they aren’t the brand I prefer at home. No big deal if I have to use the cheap ones for a while.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      03-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #281
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
^^^ this
actually shocking how much FedEx sux
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #282
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Amazon still had tp online yesterday. It will a little pricey but it was available.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #283
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, in my experience UPS sucks. Fedex has been generally very fast and efficient with me, I've had two big shipments that were sent with UPS on fridays/holidays (just my luck I guess) and even when I caught up to their truck they said they can't give boxes out the truck even if they have it. Fedex though returns packages to their local hq same day here

Quote:
I stopped by Aldi yesterday since it's less popular around here (probably because these hicks don't want to spend money at a non-American grocery store lol) and it was well stocked, but Walmart's whole dairy and frozen section was basically empty...

Still no signs of any paper towels or toilet paper though
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      03-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #284
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
That's weird, they don't want us bringing our reusable bags here.
I read that. Not sure the reasoning is sound. If your bags are contaminated, so is your clothing. And it's not like anyone in the store will be touching your bag. But others in the store may be touching the plastic bags in the store. Unless I read a good reason to not use my own bags, I'll continue to do so. Plus Wifey just washed all of ours.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #285
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Interesting, in my experience UPS sucks. Fedex has been generally very fast and efficient with me, I've had two big shipments that were sent with UPS on fridays/holidays (just my luck I guess) and even when I caught up to their truck they said they can't give boxes out the truck even if they have it. Fedex though returns packages to their local hq same day here

I stopped by Aldi yesterday since it's less popular around here (probably because these hicks don't want to spend money at a non-American grocery store lol) and it was well stocked, but Walmart's whole dairy and frozen section was basically empty...

Still no signs of any paper towels or toilet paper though
Yeah, that's because the big Fedex hub is in your area. That hub is also ours, so it's an hour trip for them to get it here.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #286
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

Saw a video yesterday of a couple stacking a pickup truck with boxes and boxes of tp and paper towels. It actually looked to be at a shopping plaza near my house. The lady taking the video claimed they had just bought all the tp and pt from the store.

Half the people in the comments wanted to punch the couple in the face, the other half wanted to punch the videographer for harassing the people when they could of just been buying stuff for the needy or for a nursing home or something. I would like to think that is the case, because there is no one even a large family could use that ungodly amount of stuff, but then again based on both their attitudes all parties involved seemed rather douchy.
Appreciate 0