BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

05-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #3213
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
There's another effective way to deal with Internet trolls.....

Attachment 2612356

Ahh, but when someone quotes the person who is on your ignore list, you still see it, so it is only partially effective at preventing you from banging your head against a wall.

But otherwise, agreed, it is somewhat effective.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314116.00
vreihen1615467.50
Sedan_Clan25169.50
      05-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #3214
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
….and crime is even up……way up in the air.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...h=605e32502650
OK, now you are getting desperate!
Nice try..…..but no! You come up short, as usual. A friend who has been a flight attendant for 13 years sent me a text about it, so I posted it here. Considering she spends so much time in the air and deals with it first hand, is her professional experience meaningless as well?!? Maybe Fly320s can chime in since he's a commercial pilot for a large airline.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #3215
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ahh, but when someone quotes the person who is on your ignore list, you still see it, so it is only partially effective at preventing you from banging your head against a wall.

Lady Jane71529.00
Murf99314116.00
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #3216
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

You know sedan, the ignore button works great on this forum!
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25169.50
Lady Jane71529.00
Murf99314116.00
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
vreihen1615467.50
      05-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #3217
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

yea my bad, I threw the crumbs in..I'll refrain next time. and how to you set someone to ignore ?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25169.50
Murf99314116.00
      05-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #3218
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
yea my bad, I threw the crumbs in..I'll refrain next time. and how to you set someone to ignore ?
It is admittedly difficult at times to refrain, especially depending on the level of ridiculousness in the statement(s).
Appreciate 4
Murf99314116.00
Lady Jane71529.00
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
paquet629.50
      05-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #3219
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
It is admittedly difficult at times to refrain, especially depending on the level of ridiculousness in the statement(s).
It's kind of like doing sim training where you desired outcome is de-escalation.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #3220
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
It's kind of like doing sim training where you desired outcome is de-escalation.
Yeah, but the damn sim always wants you to use force.

Appreciate 1
Murf99314116.00
      05-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #3221
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hockey4 View Post
and how to you set someone to ignore ?

user cp> edit ignore list> add name> save.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25169.50
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
vreihen1615467.50
      05-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #3222
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Yeah, but the damn sim always wants you to use force.

During segments of our Use of Force training they would through scenarios at you that baited you to shoot but they wanted the de-escalation. They were all taken from actual calls for service. You'd get some real dicks to deal with that pushed all your buttons.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25169.50
      05-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #3223
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
I'll stand by stats from the NYPD and the NY Post
Quote:
the police union is distorting the facts.
Ok....well then...since that implies you trust things straight from the horse's mouth (NYPD) despite believing the unions distort the facts (fair point; individual officers by and large may support something that the chief / union do not as those are far more politicized positions):

PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

Quote:
And as usual, character assassination, and no factual back-up.
As the article states, gun violence is up across the country, and most places haven't had bail reform.
The actual numbers are pointing towards other causes for the increased gun violence over the last year. Stress, less employment, more street time, large increases in gun sales, all look to be much larger factors. Bail reform contributing in single digits for NYC.
Gun violence is the only major crime which is up in NYC. :

"Overall, New York City actually saw a 5.5 percent decline in major crimes when compared to the first six months of 2019."

It must be hard going through life only trusting what your own eyes see (Google is your friend).
Even the last year is a mild uptick compared to overall declines.

Pew Research: Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

I post this one first since, despite being a little outdated, the sentiment has remained pervasive and uninformed (ie, people believing consistently over the years that it is always trending upwards, even during periods of decline).

This one is more recent, and shows the recent uptick - but overall still declining - rate.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

Quote:

I trust the peer review system. I am one in billions. Why be so limited?
...which is a bit ironic since you've referenced and posted gun control articles that were not peer reviewed and have not been peer reviewed since...but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say maybe you didn't know that and simply trusted the overall source since, on other topics, they may have been peer reviewed.

To everyone else: I know, I know, feeding the trolls, but every time I get sucked into one of these debates I try to keep in mind that for every troll posting, there are dozens of uninformed fence sitters lurking and reading and not knowing who to believe / who's a troll vs who's reliable. It's for them that I post replies and responses.

At the end of the day, we're all ambassadors, like it or not, for our cause / side of an argument. Represent your side well and you may win people over. Represent it poorly and you may not. I'm willing to bet that the scales are tipped moderately in favor of guns, but also acknowledge that the worst part about guns can sometimes be the gun community. I chalk a good bit of that up to being the targets of decades of harassment and vilification, but regardless of the reason it's still unbecoming. I have quite a bit more patience than most so I allow myself a bit of leeway when it comes to posting on certain topics.

We're once again straying into political territory but I wanted to post the police1 study as it was directly relevant to the last couple pages here as far as "well, you're a cop, how do you feel about concealed carry / gun control".
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25169.50
Littlebear3511.50
      05-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #3224
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]I'll stand by stats from the NYPD[/COLOR] and the NY Post
Quote:
[COLOR="red"]the police union is distorting the facts.[/COLOR]
Ok....well then...since that implies you trust things straight from the horse's mouth (NYPD) despite believing the unions distort the facts (fair point; individual officers by and large may support something that the chief / union do not as those are far more politicized positions):

Quote:
And as usual, character assassination, and no factual back-up.
As the article states, gun violence is up across the country, and most places haven't had bail reform.
The actual numbers are pointing towards other causes for the increased gun violence over the last year. Stress, less employment, more street time, large increases in gun sales, all look to be much larger factors. Bail reform contributing in single digits for NYC.
Gun violence is the only major crime which is up in NYC. :

"Overall, New York City actually saw a 5.5 percent decline in major crimes when compared to the first six months of 2019."

It must be hard going through life only trusting what your own eyes see (Google is your friend).

I post this one first since, despite being a little outdated, the sentiment has remained pervasive and uninformed (ie, people believing consistently over the years that it is always trending upwards, even during periods of decline).

This one is more recent, and shows the recent uptick - but overall still declining - rate.

Quote:

I trust the peer review system. I am one in billions. Why be so limited?
...which is a bit ironic since you've referenced and posted gun control articles that were not peer reviewed and have not been peer reviewed since...but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say maybe you didn't know that and simply trusted the overall source since, on other topics, they may have been peer reviewed.

To everyone else: I know, I know, feeding the trolls, but every time I get sucked into one of these debates I try to keep in mind that for every troll posting, there are dozens of uninformed fence sitters lurking and reading and not knowing who to believe / who's a troll vs who's reliable. It's for them that I post replies and responses.

At the end of the day, we're all ambassadors, like it or not, for our cause / side of an argument. Represent your side well and you may win people over. Represent it poorly and you may not. I'm willing to bet that the scales are tipped moderately in favor of guns, but also acknowledge that the worst part about guns can sometimes be the gun community. I chalk a good bit of that up to being the targets of decades of harassment and vilification, but regardless of the reason it's still unbecoming. I have quite a bit more patience than most so I allow myself a bit of leeway when it comes to posting on certain topics.

We're once again straying into political territory but I wanted to post the police1 study as it was directly relevant to the last couple pages here as far as "well, you're a cop, how do you feel about concealed carry / gun control".
Interesting thing that police1 survey is. I did not participate, but agree with their assessments based on the polling. It's pretty spot on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #3225
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/...ics-april-2021

For the month of April 2021, overall index crime in New York City rose 30.4% compared with April 2020, driven by a 66% increase in grand larceny (2,659 v. 1,601) and a 35.6% increase in felony assault (1,630 v. 1,202). Robbery saw a 28.6% increase compared to April 2020 (885 v. 688), and shooting incidents increased to 149 v. 56 in April 2020 (+166.1%). Burglary was the only index crime to post a reduction – down 26% (855 v. 1,155) in April 2021, compared to the previous year.
Oh Lucy, how could you? You used Google which you know won't fly in this crowd.

But seriously, once again Lucy shows herself to be the only person here who understands stats, and the amazing tool google can be (Murf#2 can be good sometimes).
Unfortunately, Lucy scored her point by changing the subject to April crime in NYC, from the subject of Bail Reform.

But that's OK; I just need to regroup.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #3226
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Use DuckDuckGO, results are much cleaner. #facts
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #3227
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Any survey with questions like:
"6. The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of an active-shooter incident."
...is just a joke. What did you expect the cops to say?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #3228
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Any survey with questions like:
"6. The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of an active-shooter incident."
...is just a joke. What did you expect the cops to say?
You do realize that is in direct reference to the oft-mentioned pro-gun-control position of "concealed carry permit holders would only cause further confusion if present at a mass shooting, and cops and CCW holders would end up in a shootout and hit further random people only increasing the casualties"?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25169.50
paquet629.50
      05-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #3229
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Wow, why so defensive? We're 2 grown adults having a conversation. I was not attacking you nor trying to make you feel dumb (your words). Not a big deal that you weren't familiar with what I had referenced. I had just assumed you were since you brought up the subject of voting and that situation has gotten a lot of attention and in the State in which you live in.

Again, you and I obviously have different views on carrying firearms, no more, no less. I'm not going to debate over the Constitution as it's played out. People will ultimately agree to disagree.

Personally I liked our conversation about cats in a different thread.
Sorry if I seemed offended to you. I wasn't really. Just pointing out what seemed to be an attempt to categorize me as a maga hat wearing election denier. Not the case at all.

You might discover I don't LIKE many people that carry guns and wish everyone that wanted to WOULD get training. I am out of practice and feel uncomfortable myself and I suspect I could pass most police firing line tests.

I'm just OK with Texas saying it isn't something they want to control via regulations as it is a right. If congress actually got the votes to pass an amendment removing the 2nd then I would respect that. I just don't respect any efforts to put constraints on rights. No more than I would if suddenly my right to stand on a soapbox and say the president sucks was curtailed.

BTW I believe all this 2A stuff will come to the forefront in the near future as eventually the SC is going to be forced to hear if it is an actual individual right or not. Could be some major kerfluffle on one side or another.

Speaking of cats - we get this little guy back in an urn next week. Taking him in was the saddest day I've had in years.

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25169.50
TiMSport12808.50
      05-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #3230
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You do realize that is in direct reference to the oft-mentioned pro-gun-control position of "concealed carry permit holders would only cause further confusion if present at a mass shooting, and cops and CCW holders would end up in a shootout and hit further random people only increasing the casualties"?
Yes, of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #3231
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Come to Boston, it is nearly impossible for a law abiding citizen to obtain a gun legally.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25169.50
Littlebear3511.50
      05-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #3232
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Sorry if I seemed offended to you. I wasn't really. Just pointing out what seemed to be an attempt to categorize me as a maga hat wearing election denier. Not the case at all.

You might discover I don't LIKE many people that carry guns and wish everyone that wanted to WOULD get training. I am out of practice and feel uncomfortable myself and I suspect I could pass most police firing line tests.

I'm just OK with Texas saying it isn't something they want to control via regulations as it is a right. If congress actually got the votes to pass an amendment removing the 2nd then I would respect that. I just don't respect any efforts to put constraints on rights. No more than I would if suddenly my right to stand on a soapbox and say the president sucks was curtailed.

BTW I believe all this 2A stuff will come to the forefront in the near future as eventually the SC is going to be forced to hear if it is an actual individual right or not. Could be some major kerfluffle on one side or another.

Speaking of cats - we get this little guy back in an urn next week. Taking him in was the saddest day I've had in years.

Lol, duly noted. That's the thing, it's hard to convey stuff by simply posting on a forum and the like. The subject came up before in another discussion but it sure would be nice if people could discuss their differences and share their respective opinions over some beers. That would be a lot more fun and productive.

Hey man I'm really sorry about your cat. If it's the one I'm thinking of he was appreciative of everything you did for him until the final days. Trust me, I know the feeling well and it's hard to get over. You'll probably at least have good memories during the better days.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25169.50
paquet629.50
      05-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #3233
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/...ics-april-2021

For the month of April 2021,... to the previous year.
Gd, what happened in April to cause this?

Last year was a strange one, and it's hard to use it for comparisons. Looking further back we can see some trends:
Going two years back shows we now have a drop in crime.
Going back 11 & 28 yrs shows a massive drop in crime. Gun crimes are the major prob presently.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf cs-en-us-city.pdf (154.6 KB, 316 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #3234
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the Pew stuff. NY & MA have the lowest gun fatalities per 100,000, age adjusted (!) in 2017.

Obviously the term "peer Review" is not patented, so there are peer reviews, and peer reviews. Any decent publication will review stuff before publication, and by publishing, are subjecting their work to peer review after. Yes, this is different from scientific peer review.
Appreciate 0