BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Christians of OT

10-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #23
hubbahubba
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Seeking some advice from you. To start, I am an agnostic, married to a deeply Christian woman whose parents are elders at a church. Naturally, my wife is concerned with my salvation and sometimes the belief in God is a point of contention, but we make it work. I have accompanied my wife to church over the past ten years, read the Bible front to back, prayed (to the best of my ability), listened to Christian broadcasts and programs like focus on the family and done other things to try to seek God, but invariably I always return to where I started. The primary personal roadblock I’ve not been able to overcome is the requirement of faith as a fundamental component of any religion.

1. [Higher Power] is real because [Religious Text] says [Higher Power] is real and the [Religious Text] is the word of [Higher Power]. Without faith, on its face, this statement is very challenging to accept unless I suspend what logically makes sense.

2. Assuming 1 is true, there are so many religions to choose from, how do I know that Christianity or Islam or Judaism, etc. is the correct religion to follow? Again, if I base my beliefs on some kind of objective figures (e.g. number of followers, degree of adherence to the texts, whether right or wrong), I’d assume Islam is the correct religion. Here again, faith is required to believe that Jesus is the Lord and Savior.

Faith is where I’m stuck. In church and in discussions with Christians, I hear many stories of how God reveals himself to people, which ultimately either reinforces their beliefs or converts them into followers of Christ. In some extreme cases, people even meet God when they see the light and come back to tell about it. The same is true in other religions as well. Despite my attempts to seek God, God has never revealed Himself to me.

My wife tells me that my heart isn’t open or receptive enough, but I genuinely feel that it is or was. Regrettably the more time passes, the more skeptical I become. I wonder whether faith in lifelong Christians is really faith or a byproduct of being raised in a Christian home, which has created such a strong desire to believe, to reach salvation, that it’s the only natural outcome.

Then I think about some of the bad practitioners of the Christianity to whom God has revealed himself and why the same doesn’t happen for me. I don’t want to get into relativism or compare the way I lead my life because I know that accepting Jesus as Lord, and not a person’s acts are what matters.

At what point does God meet me half way? I think at this point in my life I am about as far away from faith and from accepting the Christian doctrine as destiny as I have been.
Deep stuff, but I will share what I believe, Readers Digest version. Faith, for me, is the result of several works in my life that I find nothing short of miraculous. I grew up in a very religious home, my mom even worked for the church. After leaving home, I fell away from God, even to the point of denying He exists. There have been several times that I look back on in my life that I can not see any other way that I made it through, other than He was carrying me. I am not going to go into detail, just understand that my 20's were a mess...

I have found that the cool thing, and the thing that seperates Jesus from every other religious figure on Earth, is that He works his way to you. There are no Earthly acts you can do for which in return you are given eternal salvation, in other words, you can't work your way to Him. By faith alone. Which is a good thing. You know the song "Amazing Grace"? Have you actually ever listened to the words? Man, it nails me. In fact, not one single human being that has ever walked the Earth is worthy of God's love or eternal salvation. I thank Him every day for carrying me to where I am now, and to where I am going.

For me, that is the key to my faith. I know what a horrible human I have been, yet I am forgiven and will spend eternity in heaven because of the single act of Jesus coming to us, and dying on a cross. Jesus worked His way to us, we can't work our way to Him.

He is working His way to you right now. If He isn't there yet, be patient, and look for Him.

Edited to add:
Your last line, and accepting the doctrine. It is FAR more personal than accepting a doctrine. It is a personal relationship that I rely on daily. My .02.

Last edited by hubbahubba; 10-24-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #24
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
In fact, not one single human being that has ever walked the Earth is worthy of God's love or eternal salvation.
Have to disagree, Jesus walked this Earth. And died on the cross for our sins, descended into hell, and on the 3rd day rose again.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM49602.50

10-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #25
hubbahubba
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Have to disagree, Jesus walked this Earth. And died on the cross for our sins, descended into hell, and on the 3rd day rose again.
Semantics... Either way, see you there!
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49602.50