BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Jury rules against father protecting 7yo son from forced castration

10-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #67
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
As the OP - you have my official permission.

Thread jack, away, my dear sir.
Good God, where to start....

1) Too many employees to count who come to me demanding a raise and title change, waving their position description. "Look, I'm doing everything my position description says I should be doing. Shouldn't I get a raise and a promotion? Some sort of compensation?" No dipshit, you do your job and as a reward you get a paycheck and you get invited back each day. You want a raise and promotion? Do MORE than your job requires!

2) Had an employee break down in tears because I denied HIS request to take a 1.5 hour lunch break twice a week so he could attend a spin class.

3) Had an employee take offense to some music being played in another department. Mind you, she was very clear that the song in question did not offend her personally, but she was offended that the person playing the song didn't realize it COULD be offensive to someone else, even though no one else was offended.

4) Had an employee take offense to the phrase "kill 2 birds with 1 stone." Suggested we adopt less offensive sayings company-wide, such as "Feed 2 birds with 1 seed."

5) Had a female employee complain about male employees using the term "guys" to address a mixed gender audience in a meeting, like, "Hey guys, hows it going." But said employee made it clear when asked that she did not take offense when a female employee does that.

6) Had an employee with 1.5 years tenure with the company, who joined us straight out of college, get pissed off that we hired a new employee with 6 years of industry experience at a level above her. She expected the new employee to be hired at a Jr. level because she had no experience with OUR company. I posed the hypothetical to her "Say you are with us for another 4.5 years and leave here with 6 years of industry experience. Would you expect to be hired at your new job at a Jr. level? "Oh no, of course not. I would have 6 years of experience at that point."

7) Had an employee throw a hissy fit when he found out that he made more money than some of his colleagues. He demanded raises for them and felt salaries should be flat across the company.

8) Had an entry level employee tell me he should be promoted to a Director level but was not capable of telling me what a Director actually does or why he should be promoted past a sr. level, supervisory level, and manager level.

9) Had an employee schedule a one on one with me to vent about how her manager only gave her a 10% raise at end of year when she was expecting more along the lines of 20% every year. I sent her back to her desk to compound out what a 20% raise every year for 10 years would look like, then to come back and tell me if that's realistic. She came back and said "yes".
Appreciate 17
cmyx6go2314.50
MKSixer15530.50
Run Silent12337.50
DonaldPump6083.00
Rmtt1898.00
shay2nak1000.50
Now_Rudi6318.00
arkie6348.00
scostu1134.50
jgoens3542.00

10-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #68
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Not a fan of doxxing, at all. Regardless of who the target is.
Eh, you’re right.

I’ll delete.
That wasn't necessarily directed at you, man. I assume everyone here is actually adult enough to not do anything stupid, regardless of the characters I suspect some play.

Sorry, didn't intend that to come across as scolding. Just a general comment.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15530.50
Run Silent12337.50

10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #69
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
That wasn't necessarily directed at you, man. I assume everyone here is actually adult enough to not do anything stupid, regardless of the characters I suspect some play.

Sorry, didn't intend that to come across as scolding. Just a general comment.
I know, just decided I wanted to take it down after I posted it.

Reject modernity. Embrace tradition.
Appreciate 3
      10-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #70
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Oh boy, can I relate. Are you an owner?

I too have experienced most of the above. Having worked for both good and bad companies before being a business owner, I believe in treating employees the way I'd like to be treated. For the most part, employees that previously worked for companies that didn't treat their people well appreciate us. Those that have no work experience are clueless. Then others are just takers and think the world revolves around their wants and needs.
MKSixer15530.50
Now_Rudi6318.00

10-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #71
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

1) Too many employees to count who come to me demanding a raise and title change, waving their position description. "Look, I'm doing everything my position description says I should be doing. Shouldn't I get a raise and a promotion? Some sort of compensation?" No dipshit, you do your job and as a reward you get a paycheck and you get invited back each day. You want a raise and promotion? Do MORE than your job requires!

2) Had an employee break down in tears because I denied HIS request to take a 1.5 hour lunch break twice a week so he could attend a spin class.

3) Had an employee take offense to some music being played in another department. Mind you, she was very clear that the song in question did not offend her personally, but she was offended that the person playing the song didn't realize it COULD be offensive to someone else, even though no one else was offended.

4) Had an employee take offense to the phrase "kill 2 birds with 1 stone." Suggested we adopt less offensive sayings company-wide, such as "Feed 2 birds with 1 seed."

5) Had a female employee complain about male employees using the term "guys" to address a mixed gender audience in a meeting, like, "Hey guys, hows it going." But said employee made it clear when asked that she did not take offense when a female employee does that.

6) Had an employee with 1.5 years tenure with the company, who joined us straight out of college, get pissed off that we hired a new employee with 6 years of industry experience at a level above her. She expected the new employee to be hired at a Jr. level because she had no experience with OUR company. I posed the hypothetical to her "Say you are with us for another 4.5 years and leave here with 6 years of industry experience. Would you expect to be hired at your new job at a Jr. level? "Oh no, of course not. I would have 6 years of experience at that point."

7) Had an employee throw a hissy fit when he found out that he made more money than some of his colleagues. He demanded raises for them and felt salaries should be flat across the company.

8) Had an entry level employee tell me he should be promoted to a Director level but was not capable of telling me what a Director actually does or why he should be promoted past a sr. level, supervisory level, and manager level.

9) Had an employee schedule a one on one with me to vent about how her manager only gave her a 10% raise at end of year when she was expecting more along the lines of 20% every year. I sent her back to her desk to compound out what a 20% raise every year for 10 years would look like, then to come back and tell me if that's realistic. She came back and said "yes".
Add this to the list of insanity. I consult and a newly minted COO who's about 35 years old shared this with after a leadership meeting: "You work on too many things simultaneously with us and it's really intimidating to me and some of the staff. You also work too quickly and we are having trouble keeping up." I told her, I know. You have to get better.

While this is not everyone, a large number of people in these age ranges have an op-temp that is just embarrassing. Hand wringing, doubting, and endless meetings to reach consensus about something that could be handled in 5 minutes. It's embarrassing and ultimately self-defeating.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go2314.50
Run Silent12337.50
Rmtt1898.00
scostu1134.50

10-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #72
CTinline-six
Winning
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
kids control their parents now. man if I wasn't beat when I was younger; god only knows what I would be up to
Yep.

I remember being a young teen and using a swear word while talking to my mom. Next thing I knew I was laying on the ground at the bottom of the front steps. Apparently my father was behind her and heard me say it and "assisted me" out of the door and down the steps.
      10-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #73
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Dr. Anne Georgulas
The whole thing blows my mind and frustrates me to no end. But most of all I'm frustrated that his is a Doctor who is thus influencing others with this bull.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent12337.50

10-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #74
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Oh boy, can I relate. Are you an owner?
No. Vice President with an ownership stake in the company, but a small one. it's ultimately our CEO who sets the culture for the company. He has a hard job to do between caving to the demands and whims of a smart but entitled young workforce vs. risking losing talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I too have experienced most of the above. Having worked for both good and bad companies before being a business owner, I believe in treating employees the way I'd like to be treated. For the most part, employees that previously worked for companies that didn't treat their people well appreciate us. Those that have no work experience are clueless. Then others are just takers and think the world revolves around their wants and needs.
Our hiring model sets us up for these issues as we tend to hire extremely smart, passionate, driven, young people straight out of college. We also pay them below market rate and can do this by scooping up the ones who screwed up in college and got themselves a non-marketable degree. They have $100k in student loan debt and a Masters in Cultural Anthropology or some other garbage that's all very interesting but does not translate into a career of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Add this to the list of insanity. I consult and a newly minted COO who's about 35 years old shared this with after a leadership meeting: "You work on too many things simultaneously with us and it's really intimidating to me and some of the staff. You also work too quickly and we are having trouble keeping up." I told her, I know. You have to get better.
Wow! Good for you. And also good for that COO for actually having the guts to tell you she's intimidated. Most in that situation would just try to sabotage you as opposed to the introspection it takes to admit to ones self that they are not the superstar their parents told them they are. She's obviously a bright kid if she's a COO at 35. Sounds like she simply hasn't had the life experience and career experience to put it all together and reach potential. She needs an executive mentor....

Quote:
While this is not everyone, a large number of people in these age ranges have an op-temp that is just embarrassing. Hand wringing, doubting, and endless meetings to reach consensus about something that could be handled in 5 minutes. It's embarrassing and ultimately self-defeating.
This is the net result of the poor parenting we've been discussing. Massive over involvement by parents who guide, no direct, every facet of their kids young lives. Carefully crafting every moment of every day to ensure that perfect experience unfolds for the kid and for the parent's Facebook/Instagram/Twitter page. Never telling the kid to just "go figure it out." This intense level of support becomes a crutch for those kids who are suddenly shot out into the workforce to fend for themselves. THIS creates what we are seeing. Smart young kids who have not developed the mechanisms to make decisions on their own. It's a real challenge. I had an employee come to me the other day to tell me the toilet in the bathroom was running, wasting water, and how bad that was for the environment. "Did you jiggle the handle?" Blank stare. "Oh for F's sake. Follow me young man, I'll show you how to fix a running toilet...."

Last edited by DETRoadster; 10-24-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 3
MKSixer15530.50
Run Silent12337.50
cmyx6go2314.50

10-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #75
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Governor Greg Abbott.

“FYI the matter of 7 year old James Younger is being looked into by the Texas Attorney General’s Office and the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services,”
shay2nak1000.50
scostu1134.50

10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #76
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Governor Greg Abbott.

“FYI the matter of 7 year old James Younger is being looked into by the Texas Attorney General’s Office and the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services,”
Oh thank Jesus. Let's hope this is all resolved in the best interests of the child.

10-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #77
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
Governor Abbott isn't just talk either.

10-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #78
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Why can't conservative media ever report accurately on divisive stories ? What happens is the yokels start repeating the conservative bull and wasting bandwidth.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #79
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...r-greg-abbott/
      10-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #80
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

Yea I'm in this class where different employees and employers meet up to learn business skills and tactics and I recall one recently appointed manager talking about a problem employee and he kept saying I don't want to be that guy. I simple turn to him and said, well it your job to be that guy and if you don't want to be that guy resign from your position and stop wasting your companies time and money.

Another odd ball story which shows it not just a generational thing is I have an oldee employee he wanted a reduce schedule but not part time because he wanted to retain his medical coverage so I said okay fine he been working for us a long time I appricate his work ethic and skills so I offer him the schedule that suits company needs. He protested and wantrd to set his own schedule. I simple told him you have three options Full Retire, Remain at your current schedule or accept the limited schedule i provided you. After a few weeks of him seeing I wasn't budging he accept the limited schedule I offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #81
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Captain Blood, after reading the Wash Post article do you think the mother is nutty ?
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #82
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Captain Blood, after reading the Wash Post article do you think the mother is nutty ?
Yes. Deciding to do this to a child at age 7 seems unethical. I realize no medical procedures are to be carried out till ages 13 or so, but I believe it to be wrong to do ANYTHING till the child is of the the age of consent, where they can make their own decisions.
THe father seems to have spread a little misinformation, but I'm on his side. The mother seems to have a case of emotional investment on this trangender outcome.
Having gone through a process with one of my children trying to figure out what was wrong with him (it turned out to be autism), we went through a large number of misdiagnosis' by a number of therapists. So 1 therapist saying the child is transgender doesn't mean much to me.
      10-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #83
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Why can't conservative media ever report accurately on divisive stories ? What happens is the yokels start repeating the conservative bull and wasting bandwidth.
How could you possibly think this is okay?

This mother is absolutely horrible. A seven year-old has no real concept of gender other than genital differences noticed when interacting over the normal course of time spent with family members. Sure, some girls are natural “tomboys” and some boys prefer to play with “Barbies”. Even some teenagers struggle with their identity at times before they find the life path that fits them best.

This mother is horribly misguided to assume that it is her job to mentally or physically alter this child. Frankly, this should be a criminal offense. Let this child grow up enough to make his own informed decisions about matters that will ultimately affect only himself.

10-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #84
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

The woman should be charged with child abuse.

Reject modernity. Embrace tradition.
Appreciate 6
      10-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #85
pennsiveguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
This echoes my experience. I consult in the world of software, helping companies get better at building it. The folks roughly my age (56) down to about 40 are mostly roll-up-the-sleeves types who stay on task and work autonomously with little strain. The younger ones...not so much. They need to be hand-held, instructed down to the tiniest details, and won't make any decisions on their own. They do what they're told - mostly - but not a lick more.

This is a direct result of their long incarceration/indoctrination in the public education and university system. They've been sheep-i-fied, conditioned to completely and perpetually mistrust their own instinct and curiosity and drive. And wait for the "teacher" (or the laptop, or the iPad) to tell them what to do next.
      10-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #86
TomHudson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...xing-1.5330807

This was ruled in humanity’s favour...

Thank you Liberals for creating a society of morons.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #87
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...xing-1.5330807

This was ruled in humanity’s favour...

Thank you Liberals for creating a society of morons.
I saw this a few months ago - glad some rational minds finally resolved that appropriately.
      10-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #88
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
No way! Who needs or wants the real facts to the WHOLE story? Get out of here with that BS. The alt-right can't have this. They prefer to stick to their own and live in the alt-right viral world rather than adhering to "trust, but verify". How dare you.