BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Is this the end for Porsche?

03-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #23
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Cayenne proves if u install big tires and brakes and fancy roll bars on a Volkswagen you cam make it handle.
The original 2 generations of the Cayenne were not shared platforms. The new platform is shared, yes, but no different than taking a 40k 5 series marking it up to 400k and calling is a Rolls Royce, LOL, if you can truly call it that.

Fact is, the Cayenne and Macan are class leaders and are fanatic SUVs no matter which way you slice them. They also have pulled MANY customers away from BMW, Merc, and Audi...and will only do so more as they expand the lineup. They also lead way to cars like the GT2/3/4 and hopefully upcoming halo car which are at any time likely the best car in the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Cayenne proves if u install big tires and brakes and fancy roll bars on a Volkswagen you cam make it handle.
The original 2 generations of the Cayenne were not shared platforms. The new platform is shared, yes, but no different than taking a 40k 5 series marking it up to 400k and calling is a Rolls Royce, LOL, if you can truly call it that.

Fact is, the Cayenne and Macan are class leaders and are fanatic SUVs no matter which way you slice them. They also have pulled MANY customers away from BMW, Merc, and Audi...and will only do so more as they expand the lineup. They also lead way to cars like the GT2/3/4 and hopefully upcoming halo car which are at any time likely the best car in the market.
The original Cayenne was a Touareg/Q7, hell it was made at a VW production plant. Do you really think Porsche just developed an SUV on their own?

All three generations share the same wheelbase as the Touareg and Q7. Obviously the Macan of both generations is the Q5 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The original Cayenne was a Touareg/Q7, hell it was made at a VW production plant. Do you really think Porsche just developed an SUV on their own?

All three generations share the same wheelbase as the Touareg and Q7. Obviously the Macan of both generations is the Q5 chassis.
So Porsche went into the SUV business because they were losing market share to MB or BMW. They have a very loyal following on their sports cars, so if you're going to have a 911 in your driveway and you need an SUV for the trophy wife to go pick up lingerie why not have a Porsche....
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am blessed enough to own two Porsche and the 911 is still aspirational for me. And it doesn’t matter which 911 you own, they are all iconic, even the fried egg headlight ones. The author of the article would probably like it if the 1967 911 were still being built today. He should just go buy one of those. And that’s the value of the brand as a sports car manufacturer.....you can easily still find them despite being a lower volume car.

Times change and car manufacturers evolve or die. The 911 has become the luxury GT and the Cayman is taking the place of the old 911.

I’m hoping to find a fairly well loaded 991.2 Carrera once the new 911s start rolling out. I will probably replace my Corvette with it.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #27
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I understood that there were heavy modifications done to which they could have been held to the point of being mutually exclusive. Maybe that was not correct info but given that was many years ago, it’s not a big deal to me either way since they were still top performers.
Yes, the Macan and Q5 are shared, but they certainly changes quite a bit on the Macan.
The current Cayenne was developed knowing they use the chassis for multiple cars...but again, everyone is doing this now across any brand.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      03-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:

So Porsche went into the SUV business because they were losing market share to MB or BMW. They have a very loyal following on their sports cars, so if you're going to have a 911 in your driveway and you need an SUV for the trophy wife to go pick up lingerie why not have a Porsche....
Hey, I said that on the first page. I'm onboard, go easy on me.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understood that there were heavy modifications done to which they could have been held to the point of being mutually exclusive. Maybe that was not correct info but given that was many years ago, it’s not a big deal to me either way since they were still top performers.
Yes, the Macan and Q5 are shared, but they certainly changes quite a bit on the Macan.
VAG co developed these platforms so they could be used across the brand line. Yes they all share some fundamental elements but each brand modifies to their objectives. I drove an SQ5 and a Macan S and felt despite less power, the Macan S felt more sure footed, just as fast and lighter. I ended up getting a Macan Turbo though. I also drove an X4 M40i and it felt like it was numb like the SQ5. However, if I had to choose between the SQ5 and the X4 M40i, think I’d take the BMW. The materials and quality in the Porsche seem to be a step above both the Audi and the BMW.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      03-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I love Chicago style food. You think a fucker from Philly bragging bout' steak n' cheese and I'll listen how better it is then my Italian Beef with hot giardiniera dipped in gravy and ugly as delish! Might as well demand all Chicago joints will go out of business serving this shit that looks like shit and eats yum!

Certain Porsche should do just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #31
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

The only critique I have of Porsche is how the 911 has become uber GT car. Not that its bad, just larger, heavier and well, a GT car.

Fortunately the mid-engines exist and we all should rejoice their existence. I do hope sales numbers remain OK and they don't kill the line: that would leave the brand to the Macan as the entry point, and shameful.

- b
Appreciate 3
      03-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #32
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Ehh the article is a little extreme. Porsche is just offering new variants in segments where there is competition. So far the 992 is getting absolutely rave reviews so it sure doesn't seem that Porsche has lost its way.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #33
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

“I do not like LCD screens because I have sensitive eyes at night.”

LOL...oh his poor little eyes.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #34
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I don't think it's the end. Porsche has definitely gone through some changes starting with the 996, the Cayenne and the Macan. Their sales and production numbers have gone through the roof since then even though many see those changes as selling out.
The Cayenne saved Porsche and made it a powerhouse. It took in revenue from a product that many wanted and used the profits to pump out cars very few could afford or want. It is only logical that VAG dumps their Q8/Urus into the fray with a Porsche badge. Considering how little it will cost to retool it as a Porsche versus how much it would bring in is a no-brainer. While I am not a fan of these vehicles I am a fan of keeping driver's cars, and enthusiast cars on the road and available.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #35
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
VAG co developed these platforms so they could be used across the brand line. Yes they all share some fundamental elements but each brand modifies to their objectives. I drove an SQ5 and a Macan S and felt despite less power, the Macan S felt more sure footed, just as fast and lighter. I ended up getting a Macan Turbo though. I also drove an X4 M40i and it felt like it was numb like the SQ5. However, if I had to choose between the SQ5 and the X4 M40i, think I’d take the BMW. The materials and quality in the Porsche seem to be a step above both the Audi and the BMW.
Yes, the current platform was intended to be shared between porsche , Lamborghini, Bentley, etc but the first two generations were so heavily modified I’d hardly call it shared at that point.
My wife and I each had a Macan S and now have a Macan GTS and it really is a phenomenal car and love it. X4M40 whatever they call it doesn’t feel half as good. I do think the SQ5 feels like a much better built car than the BMW. The BMW cars these days feel brittle and cheap to me and don’t age well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #36
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ehh the article is a little extreme. Porsche is just offering new variants in segments where there is competition. So far the 992 is getting absolutely rave reviews so it sure doesn't seem that Porsche has lost its way.
The 992 is a masterpiec in every regard. It’s more GT yet sharper and more precise. Nothing else combines daily use and supercar track performance and handling like a 911 and this is just the entry point for the 992.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #37
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Porsche will be just fine, apparently there is a lack of real material to write an article about.
Appreciate 2
hellrotm4142.50
iconoclast7257.50
      03-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #38
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Just like 99.9% of articles out there, it's one person's subjective opinion and he's using a polarizing click-bait headline to try and juice up his page-views, since true journalism is basically dead and it's a fight to get the top-viewed article instead of the top-written article.

It's why I spend most of my time on forums and don't visit any automotive media sites anymore.
      03-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #39
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
The 992 is a masterpiec in every regard. It’s more GT yet sharper and more precise. Nothing else combines daily use and supercar track performance and handling like a 911 and this is just the entry point for the 992.
Yup. I understand ripping the cayenne coupe as being called a coupe but to rip Porsche as a whole? They still make some of the best drivers cars in the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #40
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Pfft no, wtf kind of stupid shit is that?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #41
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Shame on a company that realizes the market and capitalizes to increase growth (that then trickles over to the part of Porsche everyone likes for further development).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
Just like 99.9% of articles out there, it's one person's subjective opinion and he's using a polarizing click-bait headline to try and juice up his page-views, since true journalism is basically dead and it's a fight to get the top-viewed article instead of the top-written article.

It's why I spend most of my time on forums and don't visit any automotive media sites anymore.
Ditto.
Appreciate 1
Flacht31135.00
      03-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #42
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
“I do not like LCD screens because I have sensitive eyes at night.”

LOL...oh his poor little eyes.
They do turn off.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #43
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Death of Porsche as we know it?

Maybe. Company has to survive somehow by adapting to the markets dumbass needs
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #44
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

I hate this Cayenne Coupe, not even needed, a less sporty, taller, same cargo capacity of a Macan and less sporty again. I'm sure it's fast and can probably do what the X6 does but I hated the X6 too. X4, X6, GLE/GLC coupe, Cayenne Coupe, Q8.. All are freaking pointless.
Appreciate 0