BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Carvana?

04-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #23
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

Just bought my 2011 at Carmax and would recommend. Already had 2 new tires, cf spoiler and mpe; black window trim had a few scratches and they replaced with brand new BMW part after purchase. PPI (after purchase) came back 100% clean....they have 7 day return policy, but can't do PPI until you purchase.

Warranty for 5 years was $2300, but since I have BMW until 4/21 I passed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz1318 View Post
Just bought my 2011 at Carmax and would recommend. Already had 2 new tires, cf spoiler and mpe; black window trim had a few scratches and they replaced with brand new BMW part after purchase. PPI (after purchase) came back 100% clean....they have 7 day return policy, but can't do PPI until you purchase.

Warranty for 5 years was $2300, but since I have BMW until 4/21 I passed.
How can you have a warranty until April 2021 on a 2011 model year BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I bought my Z4 from CarMax. Never again. They used an ill-fitting oil filter and god knows what oil. Missed the low coolant level; showed low the second day I had it. The engine air filter box was half full of a mouse nest. The cabin air filter was full of leaves and other debris. The fender had a crease above the headlight And the throwout bearing rattled like a paint can.

CarMax is a joke. Over priced used car dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #26
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
How can you have a warranty until April 2021 on a 2011 model year BMW?
Sorry typo...2017 M2....11k miles
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      04-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #27
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I bought my Z4 from CarMax. Never again. They used an ill-fitting oil filter and god knows what oil. Missed the low coolant level; showed low the second day I had it. The engine air filter box was half full of a mouse nest. The cabin air filter was full of leaves and other debris. The fender had a crease above the headlight And the throwout bearing rattled like a paint can.

CarMax is a joke. Over priced used car dealer.
I was concerned which is why I had a PPI completed the next day; they have a 7 day return policy hope you returned the z4
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz1318 View Post
I was concerned which is why I had a PPI completed the next day; they have a 7 day return policy hope you returned the z4
Nope, I kept it. I had to pay $350 to ship it from Ohio to Virginia to look at it and buy it. The shipping cost is non-refundable, so it would have been stupid on my part to return the Z4 and lose $350, on what otherwise was a car in great condition. And I didn't find the mouse nest and crap in the cabin filter until 6 months later anyway.

My point is, CarMax sells used cars just like everyone else. They've just been able to make it seem different than Joe's Used Cars by keeping everything shiny and new-looking to emulate a new-car buying experience. It's still buyer beware with CarMax regardless of what their hype says. On my car they did not inspect it; they just cleaned it up and sold it as is.

Worst was the local BMW dealership I dealt with for the Post-purchase Inspection (really I was just checking the alignment). Those thieves tried to milk thousands of dollars of work out of the CarMax extended warranty (which the BMW SA thought I purchased):

Keep in mind the Z4 had only 23,000 miles on it... The BMW dealership said the rear end couldn't be aligned and needed $1,200 worth of new suspension components (trailing arms and control arms) to get it in alignment. They said the transmission noise was the input shaft bearing, "but they had to remove the transmission to be sure" - LOL. I took it back to CarMax I bought the Z4 from and CarMax took it to another BMW dealership (different city in Virginia, but the same dealer I bought my E90 from in 2006). That BMW dealership was able to get the rear end in alignment (CarMax paid for that) with no new parts needed, found no transmission noise, BUT did find the tensioner for the serpentine belt was making noise and should be replaced - LOL. Now at 94,000 the Z4 is still on the original tensioner and belt is sitting squarely in the center of the pulley. The throwout bearing is still rattling, and the transmission operates as good as the day I bought it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-13-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0