BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Subscriptions?

10-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Subscriptions?

I've ordered a 2022 Z4 and it's currently in Quality Check but I haven't closed the deal yet. I'm a little concerned because I'm reading more and more about manufacturers tying features and options to subscriptions such as Navigation, High-Beam assists and others.

Do any of you Z4 owners have subscriptions tied to any of your features. I'm not interested in paying thousands of dollars extra for options just to find out that I'm not really buying them, rather I'm leasing them. It's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

So let me ask the question more clearly. Other than third party subscriptions like Sirius Radio and Cellular Reception, does BMW have any options for the Z4 which would require a subscription to use? I'm worried that after a trial period my Nav will stop working or High Beam assist or the brakes or who knows what else?!

TIA

Last edited by HokieBeemer; 10-13-2021 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Clarify question
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
I've ordered a 2022 Z4 and it's currently in Quality Check but I haven't closed the deal yet. I'm a little concerned because I'm reading more and more about manufacturers tying features and options to subscriptions such as Navigation, High-Beam assists and others.

Do any of you Z4 owners have subscriptions tied to any of your features. I'm not interested in paying thousands of dollars extra for options just to find out that I'm not really buying them, rather I'm leasing them. It's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

TIA
No subscription here.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
No subscription here.
Does that mean that BMW doesn't require any subscriptions for certain options or does it mean that you don't have any subscriptions...or both?

Thanks for your reply BTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Does that mean that BMW doesn't require any subscriptions for certain options or does it mean that you don't have any subscriptions...or both?

Thanks for your reply BTW.
The only thing I know that will result in a subscription is SiriusXM Satellite Radio which they give to you for 1 year free of charge. After that you have to pay to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Subscriptions over here:
Remote services
Bmw online
Real time traffic info
Spotify
Maps update
Connected parking
Alexa
Wifi hotspot
Bmw service inclusive
      10-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Name:  ServiceAvailabilityMatrix.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  456.8 KB

Name:  ServiceAvailabilityMatrix2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  410.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #7
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post
Subscriptions over here:
Remote services
Bmw online
Real time traffic info
Spotify
Maps update
Connected parking
Alexa
Wifi hotspot
Bmw service inclusive
I can live with all of those. They all require some kind of third party service to function. Even the map update requires BMW buying new maps from whoever provides them.

My main concern, and unfortunately this is where the industry is going, is that options will start requiring a subscription. I can see the day when heated seats is a subscription. A few years back BMW required an annual fee to hook your phone up to the vehicle using Apple Car Play. What kind of nonsense is that?

I hope the consumers get out the bud nippers and nip that in the bud.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think I can live with all those things. It looks like the only things you need a subscription for would be data which is external to the vehicle such as concierge, parking information, weather. Those are clearly going to be provided by third parties that BMW contracts with. My main concern was BMW turning off options which don't need third party assistance, such as Navigation, heated seats, High beam assist etc.

Thanks for the info BMWGirlFL.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I think I can live with all those things. It looks like the only things you need a subscription for would be data which is external to the vehicle such as concierge, parking information, weather. Those are clearly going to be provided by third parties that BMW contracts with. My main concern was BMW turning off options which don't need third party assistance, such as Navigation, heated seats, High beam assist etc.

Thanks for the info BMWGirlFL.
Navigation is part of Connected Package Professional - 4 years included.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have never heard of a car manufacturer turning off the heated seats feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Navigation is part of Connected Package Professional - 4 years included.
Whoa...so you're saying the Navigation will stop working in 4 years without a subscription? I can understand turning off traffic and weather because that information comes from a third party but why would my navigation stop working? That is all self contained in the car computer. The map is 100% downloaded and the algorithm to calculate the route does not need to be connected to any cellular signal.

And I don't see Navigation listed on that Table you posted previously. Are you sure Navigation is a subscription or is just parts of navigation like Traffic, Weather and live parking updates. Because all those things would need some type of communication with an external source whereas simple navigation should not.

This is exactly what worries me. My 2016 Acura navigation works just fine with no connected subscriptions. This just sounds to me like a way to nickel and dime customers.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Whoa...so you're saying the Navigation will stop working in 4 years without a subscription? I can understand turning off traffic and weather because that information comes from a third party but why would my navigation stop working? That is all self contained in the car computer. The map is 100% downloaded and the algorithm to calculate the route does not need to be connected to any cellular signal.

And I don't see Navigation listed on that Table you posted previously. Are you sure Navigation is a subscription or is just parts of navigation like Traffic, Weather and live parking updates. Because all those things would need some type of communication with an external source whereas simple navigation should not.

This is exactly what worries me. My 2016 Acura navigation works just fine with no connected subscriptions. This just sounds to me like a way to nickel and dime customers.

Don't worry, the navigation system will continue to work even after the subscription. But the map update and real time traffic info will not work after the subscription. With that said, I have yet to use BMW navigation system. Google map is much easier to use and is always updated. Ending the subscription doesn't worry me at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
Don't worry, the navigation system will continue to work even after the subscription. But the map update and real time traffic info will not work after the subscription. With that said, I have yet to use BMW navigation system. Google map is much easier to use and is always updated. Ending the subscription doesn't worry me at all.
Thanks, that's good news.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
I use Waze and feel the same way. However it would be great if BMW played nice with Google and integrated both Google Maps and Waze which is owned by Google into the HUD. Currently aside from the BMW navigation system only Apple Maps is enabled for the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #15
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I have never heard of a car manufacturer turning off the heated seats feature.
Me neither. My fear is that it's coming. A few years back BMW required a subscription to use the High-Beam Assist. Once manufacturers get a taste for subscription based options there's no end to what they could tie to a subscription.

Subscriptions should only apply to options which require some kind of communication external to the vehicle or a third party involved like Sirius Radio. Anything that exists autonomously within the car itself should never require a subscription.

Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #16
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Me neither. My fear is that it's coming. A few years back BMW required a subscription to use the High-Beam Assist. Once manufacturers get a taste for subscription based options there's no end to what they could tie to a subscription.

Subscriptions should only apply to options which require some kind of communication external to the vehicle or a third party involved like Sirius Radio. Anything that exists autonomously within the car itself should never require a subscription.

Just my thoughts.
Turning off the seated seats in a car which is a feature you have paid for could only be compared to an airline charging you to use the lavatory on a plane after you have purchased your ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
The only early stop on the subscription is wifi hotspot at 3 months.
Appreciate 0