BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Subscriptions?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Subscriptions?

I've ordered a 2022 Z4 and it's currently in Quality Check but I haven't closed the deal yet. I'm a little concerned because I'm reading more and more about manufacturers tying features and options to subscriptions such as Navigation, High-Beam assists and others.

Do any of you Z4 owners have subscriptions tied to any of your features. I'm not interested in paying thousands of dollars extra for options just to find out that I'm not really buying them, rather I'm leasing them. It's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

So let me ask the question more clearly. Other than third party subscriptions like Sirius Radio and Cellular Reception, does BMW have any options for the Z4 which would require a subscription to use? I'm worried that after a trial period my Nav will stop working or High Beam assist or the brakes or who knows what else?!

TIA

Last edited by HokieBeemer; 10-13-2021 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Clarify question
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
101
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: Audi A6
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
I've ordered a 2022 Z4 and it's currently in Quality Check but I haven't closed the deal yet. I'm a little concerned because I'm reading more and more about manufacturers tying features and options to subscriptions such as Navigation, High-Beam assists and others.

Do any of you Z4 owners have subscriptions tied to any of your features. I'm not interested in paying thousands of dollars extra for options just to find out that I'm not really buying them, rather I'm leasing them. It's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

TIA
No subscription here.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
No subscription here.
Does that mean that BMW doesn't require any subscriptions for certain options or does it mean that you don't have any subscriptions...or both?

Thanks for your reply BTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Second Lieutenant
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Does that mean that BMW doesn't require any subscriptions for certain options or does it mean that you don't have any subscriptions...or both?

Thanks for your reply BTW.
The only thing I know that will result in a subscription is SiriusXM Satellite Radio which they give to you for 1 year free of charge. After that you have to pay to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
Amadeo
Skipper
Amadeo's Avatar
Spain
134
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Benidorm, Spain

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Subscriptions over here:
Remote services
Bmw online
Real time traffic info
Spotify
Maps update
Connected parking
Alexa
Wifi hotspot
Bmw service inclusive
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Major
BMWGirlFL's Avatar
2535
Rep
1,009
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Name:  ServiceAvailabilityMatrix.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  456.8 KB

Name:  ServiceAvailabilityMatrix2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  410.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #7
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post
Subscriptions over here:
Remote services
Bmw online
Real time traffic info
Spotify
Maps update
Connected parking
Alexa
Wifi hotspot
Bmw service inclusive
I can live with all of those. They all require some kind of third party service to function. Even the map update requires BMW buying new maps from whoever provides them.

My main concern, and unfortunately this is where the industry is going, is that options will start requiring a subscription. I can see the day when heated seats is a subscription. A few years back BMW required an annual fee to hook your phone up to the vehicle using Apple Car Play. What kind of nonsense is that?

I hope the consumers get out the bud nippers and nip that in the bud.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I think I can live with all those things. It looks like the only things you need a subscription for would be data which is external to the vehicle such as concierge, parking information, weather. Those are clearly going to be provided by third parties that BMW contracts with. My main concern was BMW turning off options which don't need third party assistance, such as Navigation, heated seats, High beam assist etc.

Thanks for the info BMWGirlFL.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
BMWGirlFL
Major
BMWGirlFL's Avatar
2535
Rep
1,009
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
I think I can live with all those things. It looks like the only things you need a subscription for would be data which is external to the vehicle such as concierge, parking information, weather. Those are clearly going to be provided by third parties that BMW contracts with. My main concern was BMW turning off options which don't need third party assistance, such as Navigation, heated seats, High beam assist etc.

Thanks for the info BMWGirlFL.
Navigation is part of Connected Package Professional - 4 years included.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Second Lieutenant
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have never heard of a car manufacturer turning off the heated seats feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Navigation is part of Connected Package Professional - 4 years included.
Whoa...so you're saying the Navigation will stop working in 4 years without a subscription? I can understand turning off traffic and weather because that information comes from a third party but why would my navigation stop working? That is all self contained in the car computer. The map is 100% downloaded and the algorithm to calculate the route does not need to be connected to any cellular signal.

And I don't see Navigation listed on that Table you posted previously. Are you sure Navigation is a subscription or is just parts of navigation like Traffic, Weather and live parking updates. Because all those things would need some type of communication with an external source whereas simple navigation should not.

This is exactly what worries me. My 2016 Acura navigation works just fine with no connected subscriptions. This just sounds to me like a way to nickel and dime customers.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
Yamatokh
Private
70
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Thailand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Whoa...so you're saying the Navigation will stop working in 4 years without a subscription? I can understand turning off traffic and weather because that information comes from a third party but why would my navigation stop working? That is all self contained in the car computer. The map is 100% downloaded and the algorithm to calculate the route does not need to be connected to any cellular signal.

And I don't see Navigation listed on that Table you posted previously. Are you sure Navigation is a subscription or is just parts of navigation like Traffic, Weather and live parking updates. Because all those things would need some type of communication with an external source whereas simple navigation should not.

This is exactly what worries me. My 2016 Acura navigation works just fine with no connected subscriptions. This just sounds to me like a way to nickel and dime customers.

Don't worry, the navigation system will continue to work even after the subscription. But the map update and real time traffic info will not work after the subscription. With that said, I have yet to use BMW navigation system. Google map is much easier to use and is always updated. Ending the subscription doesn't worry me at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
Don't worry, the navigation system will continue to work even after the subscription. But the map update and real time traffic info will not work after the subscription. With that said, I have yet to use BMW navigation system. Google map is much easier to use and is always updated. Ending the subscription doesn't worry me at all.
Thanks, that's good news.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
Westside Guy
Second Lieutenant
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
Don't worry, the navigation system will continue to work even after the subscription. But the map update and real time traffic info will not work after the subscription. With that said, I have yet to use BMW navigation system. Google map is much easier to use and is always updated. Ending the subscription doesn't worry me at all.
I use Waze and feel the same way. However it would be great if BMW played nice with Google and integrated both Google Maps and Waze which is owned by Google into the HUD. Currently aside from the BMW navigation system only Apple Maps is enabled for the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #15
HokieBeemer
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I have never heard of a car manufacturer turning off the heated seats feature.
Me neither. My fear is that it's coming. A few years back BMW required a subscription to use the High-Beam Assist. Once manufacturers get a taste for subscription based options there's no end to what they could tie to a subscription.

Subscriptions should only apply to options which require some kind of communication external to the vehicle or a third party involved like Sirius Radio. Anything that exists autonomously within the car itself should never require a subscription.

Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #16
Westside Guy
Second Lieutenant
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Me neither. My fear is that it's coming. A few years back BMW required a subscription to use the High-Beam Assist. Once manufacturers get a taste for subscription based options there's no end to what they could tie to a subscription.

Subscriptions should only apply to options which require some kind of communication external to the vehicle or a third party involved like Sirius Radio. Anything that exists autonomously within the car itself should never require a subscription.

Just my thoughts.
Turning off the seated seats in a car which is a feature you have paid for could only be compared to an airline charging you to use the lavatory on a plane after you have purchased your ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
TAZ007
Lieutenant Colonel
TAZ007's Avatar
980
Rep
1,837
Posts

Drives: 2021 Z4 M40
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [0.00]
The only early stop on the subscription is wifi hotspot at 3 months.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST