BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum "Duke" gets ceramic coating from the master - me!

10-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

"Duke" gets ceramic coating from the master - me!

"Duke" got his bod ceramic coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 yesterday, a tough silica oxide coating that will last for years in lieu of old school wax. High shine, very slippery. https://www.carpro-us.com/protec.../...3-0-30ml-kit/\

Prep drill:
1. Thorough scrub with Dawn/rainwater. Bug Off spray and scrub on the mirrors, front, pillars. Rainwater blast down at the greenhouse and then dried with a large microfiber cloth.

2. Final prep to remove any residual oils/contaminants was done by the wife using a rag wipe down with a pint of 70% iso. alcohol in a quart of rain water, or you can piss off your money on CarPro Eraser.

Cost - about $60 for the coating kit and 2 hours of my time. Will apply a 2nd coat on the frontal areas today.

Unlike with the X5 I needed only a half a bottle and needed no additional rags or microfiber towels. The kit had more than enough. Also, the X5 had some mileage on it so I had a mobile detailer come out and clay, wash, de-iron and shampoo the X5 plus more. Cost was $125 for that.

Duke is totally protected now with a ceramic leather coating on all leather and an Optimum polymer spray on all hidden painted surfaces. https://gyeonquartz.com/product/leather-shield/

BTW, while the suede rag was still damp I wipe down the car's mirrors, our phone glass fronts, computer screen, etc. Does an amazing job. The phones aren't showing any finger prints!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Horseman3959.50
N011an123.00
Kwajtrader1072.50
Geradeaus375.50
cdavis93140.50
      10-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

2nd coat on all frontal areas, top of hood, whatever.....bored and just burning up some of the leftovers in the bottle. Will set out in the sun to speed up the cure today. Notice the cool applicator - thin foam on a block that doesn't absorb the coating, two slots in the middle. Drill is to place the suede cloth around applicator block and tuck it in with a credit card. It's very snug and will not slip out.

I need to kick it up a notch with CarPro's Reload which I got couple of years ago with the first CQuartz kit. Expiration date is 2022, pretty nice!

How about that overhead garage door.

Good pointers found here for all who had their car ceramic coated: https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...-3-0-30ml-kit/
Attached Images

Last edited by Mixitt; 10-08-2021 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
Horseman3959.50
      10-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Nice
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Nice
Thanks. The beauty, styling, handling and comfort never ceases to amaze me. Sportster refinement as its finest AND a great value.

Curing in the warm Texas sun yesterday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Horseman3959.50
      10-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
"Duke" got his bod ceramic coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 yesterday, a tough silica oxide coating that will last for years in lieu of old school wax. High shine, very slippery. https://www.carpro-us.com/protec.../...-3-0-30ml-kit/\

Prep drill:
1. Thorough scrub with Dawn/rainwater. Bug Off spray and scrub on the mirrors, front, pillars. Rainwater blast down at the greenhouse and then dried with a large microfiber cloth.

2. Final prep to remove any residual oils/contaminants was done by the wife using a rag wipe down with a pint of 70% iso. alcohol in a quart of rain water, or you can piss off your money on CarPro Eraser.

Cost - about $60 for the coating kit and 2 hours of my time. Will apply a 2nd coat on the frontal areas today.

Unlike with the X5 I needed only a half a bottle and needed no additional rags or microfiber towels. The kit had more than enough. Also, the X5 had some mileage on it so I had a mobile detailer come out and clay, wash, de-iron and shampoo the X5 plus more. Cost was $125 for that.

Duke is totally protected now with a ceramic leather coating on all leather and an Optimum polymer spray on all hidden painted surfaces. https://gyeonquartz.com/product/leather-shield/

BTW, while the suede rag was still damp I wipe down the car's mirrors, our phone glass fronts, computer screen, etc. Does an amazing job. The phones aren't showing any finger prints!
When I had mine done I had to have paint correction because there were some swirls and scratches in the paint. You just added ceramic with no paint correction? 🤯

Nice job. I would not use the CarPro Reload - it's crap. Most of the reviews has it failing early and it's a pain in the ass to wipe on and off.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
When I had mine done I had to have paint correction because there were some swirls and scratches in the paint. You just added ceramic with no paint correction? ��

Nice job. I would not use the CarPro Reload - it's crap. Most of the reviews has it failing early and it's a pain in the ass to wipe on and off.
No paint correction needed - no swirls....nada. I think detailers want to pack the deal anyway they can, just like car dealerships. For example the BMW of San Antonio "offered" to tint the front windows for $430. Total bullshit.

The mobile detailer I alluded to try to convince me to allow him to "paint correct" our X5 ......whatever that means. "You don't see those swirls?" Me - "what swirls?" He did do a quick clay rub down.

What's most important in a coating prep process is removing any residual oils and other stuff. Iso. alcohol is all you need after a good scrub/rinse.

Want to get your car windows squeaky clean with no smears like many of the commercial windows cleaners seem to do? Just wet and wring out a rag that has been dipped in a mix of Iso alc and soft water. Wipe....done.

Have you used the Reload yourself? All the reviews I've read have been super. Came with the kit. I wouldn't pay $35 for it. https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

Carload Reset shampoo I've raved about feels or looks like a silica/wax/polymer retouch product. I doubt if it has anything more than surfactants but man, is it so fine. A liter will last me many years. Most concentrated shampoo I've ever used. https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reset-...3880449&sr=8-3

Last edited by Mixitt; 10-10-2021 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
CJ4211450.00
      10-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When I had mine done I had to have paint correction because there were some swirls and scratches in the paint. You just added ceramic with no paint correction? ��

No paint correction needed - no swirls....nada. I think detailers want to pack the deal anyway they can, just like car dealerships. For example the BMW of San Antonio "offered" to tint the front windows for $430. Total bullshit.

The mobile detailer I alluded to try to convince me to allow him to "paint correct" our X5 ......whatever that means. "You don't see those swirls?" Me - "what swirls?" He did do a quick clay rub down.

What's most important in a coating prep process is removing any residual oils and other stuff. Iso. alcohol is all you need after a good scrub/rinse.

Want to get your car windows squeaky clean with no smears like many of the commercial windows cleaners seem to do? Just wet and wring out a rag that has been dipped in a mix of Iso alc and soft water. Wipe....done.

Have you used the Reload yourself? All the reviews I've read have been super. Came with the kit. I wouldn't pay $35 for it. https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

Carload Reset shampoo I've raved about feels or looks like a silica/wax/polymer retouch product. I doubt if it has anything more than surfactants but man, is it so fine. A liter will last me many years. Most concentrated shampoo I've ever used. https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reset-...449&sr=8-3
You must have figured out something, because I did have swirls and scratches that came straight from the factory paint. Had I not had the "paint correction" I would have put ceramic coating on top of bad paint. Didn't want to be penny wise, pound foolish.

Yes, I have used Reload - it sucks. Polish Angel is much better. I wouldn't use Reload again.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 07:22 AM   #8
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You must have figured out something, because I did have swirls and scratches that came straight from the factory paint. Had I not had the "paint correction" I would have put ceramic coating on top of bad paint. Didn't want to be penny wise, pound foolish.

Yes, I have used Reload - it sucks. Polish Angel is much better. I wouldn't use Reload again.
Sorry about that. I did not have one scratch or swirl upon delivery. Still don't, then again I don't drive it much.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 06:04 PM   #9
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about that. I did not have one scratch or swirl upon delivery. Still don't, then again I don't drive it much.
Nice 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
I did performance center delivery and fortunately the paint was flawless. Then did the whole painters tape thing for the drive home. PPF and ceramic coating followed and as of now no swirl marks… I did the ceramic coating over the PPF myself and spent quite a bit of time with new microfiber cloths and panel wipe before applying the coating. I’m sure alcohol would have worked just as well, but it was only $10 for panel wipe.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt369.50
      10-13-2021, 01:35 AM   #11
cdavis93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Beautiful car and color!

Quote:
"Duke" got his bod ceramic coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 yesterday, a tough silica oxide coating that will last for years in lieu of old school wax. High shine, very slippery. https://www.carpro-us.com/protec.../...3-0-30ml-kit/\

Prep drill:

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #12
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajtrader View Post
I did performance center delivery and fortunately the paint was flawless. Then did the whole painters tape thing for the drive home. PPF and ceramic coating followed and as of now no swirl marks… I did the ceramic coating over the PPF myself and spent quite a bit of time with new microfiber cloths and panel wipe before applying the coating. I’m sure alcohol would have worked just as well, but it was only $10 for panel wipe.
Sounds good!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis93 View Post
Beautiful car and color!
Thanks. Glacier Silver is really nice, not your typical gray or silver. Lightens up a lot in bright light. We were going with the red then changed our mind.
Appreciate 1
cdavis93140.50
      10-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Thanks. Glacier Silver is really nice, not your typical gray or silver. Lightens up a lot in bright light. We were going with the red then changed our mind.
Excellent change of mind.
Appreciate 2
cdavis93140.50
Mixitt369.50
      10-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Good deals https://www.autogeek.net/newsletter-...+24+Hours+ONLY!
Appreciate 0