BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Delays...

10-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Delays...

My Z4 went into production on August 7th (Graz, Austria). It reached Quality Check on August 27th and has been there since. Tomorrow it will have been in Quality Check for seven weeks. I called BMW Genius, they don't know what is going on. Dealer can't find out anything either.

It's loaded...all options and packages. I know a shipment of cars left Austria and is on its way to the States now but I'm wondering if those vehicles didn't have to wait on certain options like Radar or HUDs.

Is anyone else in the same boat? No pun intended. I'm trying to get a feel for when (if) this vehicle is ever actually going to get built and shipped to me.

Can anyone speak to how long it took to get their vehicle once ordered and when that order took place? I'm only interested in orders since mid 2020 since that's when the real delays really began and haven't resolved since.

Thanks In Advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
My Z4 went into production on August 7th (Graz, Austria). It reached Quality Check on August 27th and has been there since. Tomorrow it will have been in Quality Check for seven weeks. I called BMW Genius, they don't know what is going on. Dealer can't find out anything either.

It's loaded...all options and packages. I know a shipment of cars left Austria and is on its way to the States now but I'm wondering if those vehicles didn't have to wait on certain options like Radar or HUDs.

Is anyone else in the same boat? No pun intended. I'm trying to get a feel for when (if) this vehicle is ever actually going to get built and shipped to me.

Can anyone speak to how long it took to get their vehicle once ordered and when that order took place? I'm only interested in orders since mid 2020 since that's when the real delays really began and haven't resolved since.

Thanks In Advance.
There are threads here with this exact frustration. I waited 4 months from order due to the RAM module shortage. The 2022s deleted some things, but the chip shortage is getting worse. Keep checking and an answer will be forthcoming. Patience young padawan.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

My car went into Quality Check on Sept 6 and is still showing as in Quality Check. I have escalated to the Genius people, my dealer and BMW Customer Service and have so far not received any information on my car's status. When I call Customer Service yesterday they said all they could see was the same thing I could see. The rep then asked to put me on hold so they could check on something. After a few minutes the call dropped. I expected they would call me back, but the didn't. I plan to call them again today, but I don't expect much.

I doubt there is a delay because of parts because other people who's car started build after mine and were fully optioned, as is mine, didn't see the delay. I was also told that if mine had a bad or missing part, it would get the next one the plant received.

What is the name of the boat you discovered? Is it going to the US east coast, the west coast or the gulf?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
My car went into Quality Check on Sept 6 and is still showing as in Quality Check. I have escalated to the Genius people, my dealer and BMW Customer Service and have so far not received any information on my car's status. When I call Customer Service yesterday they said all they could see was the same thing I could see. The rep then asked to put me on hold so they could check on something. After a few minutes the call dropped. I expected they would call me back, but the didn't. I plan to call them again today, but I don't expect much.

I doubt there is a delay because of parts because other people who's car started build after mine and were fully optioned, as is mine, didn't see the delay. I was also told that if mine had a bad or missing part, it would get the next one the plant received.

What is the name of the boat you discovered? Is it going to the US east coast, the west coast or the gulf?
I know of no boat but I do know that it is destined for Baltimore Harbor. I got a message from my dealer today that they think it is HUDs that they are waiting on. If you know anyone who gets a 2022 M40i Z4 delivered to them ask if they have a HUD and/or Active Cruise Control. Radar was the other thing I heard that there was a shortage of.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Mine was also fully loaded and ordered around late august hit several delays. But it is on the Asian majesty supposed to arrive in New Jersey on the 23rd. Mine is showing in transit so it appears to be on the boat. Hopefully they don’t tell me that the hud or adaptive cruise control have been removed or they can keep it.
I will keep you all posted.

Quote:
I know of no boat but I do know that it is destined for Baltimore Harbor. I got a message from my dealer today that they think it is HUDs that they are waiting on. If you know anyone who gets a 2022 M40i Z4 delivered to them ask if they have a HUD and/or Active Cruise Control. Radar was the other thing I heard that there was a shortage of.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoneinvt View Post
Mine was also fully loaded and ordered around late august hit several delays. But it is on the Asian majesty supposed to arrive in New Jersey on the 23rd. Mine is showing in transit so it appears to be on the boat. Hopefully they don’t tell me that the hud or adaptive cruise control have been removed or they can keep it.
I will keep you all posted.
Please do keep me posted. Mine actually went into the paint booth on Aug 24th and has been in Quality Check since Aug 27th. This better be the best quality car the world has ever seen. Thanks. Was yours an M40i or sDrive30i? Mine is (or will be) an M40i.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This thread from mdoneinvt who was recently told his car is now on a ship. His build was fully loaded and I don't believe he has been informed about any options being missing.
https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1857932

This is my thread detailing my experience with BMW and their lack of information. From the little I have found out, if there is a delay in the car's build, for any reason, the dealer will be notified. My dealer has not been told of any delay. At your point in delivery, if any options are missing, you should have been notified by your dealer.
https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1855748
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ordered the M40I also misano blue metallic with ivory vernasaca interior black trim and every option available.

Quote:
Please do keep me posted. Mine actually went into the paint booth on Aug 24th and has been in Quality Check since Aug 27th. This better be the best quality car the world has ever seen. Thanks. Was yours an M40i or sDrive30i? Mine is (or will be) an M40i.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Another Misano Blue M40i with every option here, but with black interior. Wonder if I'll ever see it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #10
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Another Misano Blue M40i with every option here, but with black interior. Wonder if I'll ever see it.
Ok COKen...sounds like we are waiting on the same vehicle.

Blue
White Interior
Black Interior Trim
Shadowline
Midnight Black Roof
19" Black Wheels
Both Packages: Driver Assist & Premium
Active Cruise Control
Harmon Kardon sound system
But I kept the blue brakes because I like it with the blue paint

Mine has been in Quality Check for seven weeks tomorrow. I'll let you know if the status changes.

Last edited by HokieBeemer; 10-14-2021 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #11
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Just be patient guys, the wait will be worth it. I know exactly how y'all feel. I went through this painful thing not to long ago...

My build was:
Frozen Grey
Alcantara/Black Leather interior
Shadowline Package
Executive Package
Red Calipers
19" bi-color rims
Basically everything but active cruise and when it arrived it has been a blast.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #12
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Just be patient guys, the wait will be worth it. I know exactly how y'all feel. I went through this painful thing not to long ago...

My build was:
Frozen Grey
Shadowline Package
Executive Package
Red Calipers
19" bi-color rims
How long between your order, it going into production and your delivery, if you don't mind me asking? When did you order and when did you pick it up?

The dates matter because last year at this time I don't think they were waiting on Radar and HUDs but from what I have been able to gather right now it's Radar (Active Cruise Control) and HUDs that are driving the delays. And from what I understand the e-cars are getting priority for the radars.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #13
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How long between your order, it going into production and your delivery, if you don't mind me asking? When did you order and when did you pick it up?

The dates matter because last year at this time I don't think they were waiting on Radar and HUDs but from what I have been able to gather right now it's Radar (Active Cruise Control) and HUDs that are driving the delays. And from what I understand the e-cars are getting priority for the radars.

TIA.
Looks like we have conflicting information. Wonder who got it right or is it something else altogether. It seems like others have had their cars complete their builds even though their build started after mine. None have mentioned missing options and from what I was told by two different sources at BMW, if a car has a bad or missing part, then new parts go to the car which is the furthest into the build. My hope is that the problems is the build data is not getting into the database and our cars are both on their way to us.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
RemyH
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post

My build was:
Frozen Grey
Shadowline Package
Executive Package
Red Calipers
19" bi-color rims

TIA.
Reading from Holland, gas prices at 9$ per gallon and a Z4 M4 full option costing $108.000 dollars (because of tax, the car is made by our neighbor Germany), i wouldn't care for waiting a little bit longer 🤪.

And yes, the chip problem is really awful; for my hobby i design pcb's; if i draw them i have to order the parts immediately, they fly away.

The covid factory lockdowns are hitting everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:

TIA.
111 days total. Waited at Bremerhaven for 25 days and another 35 day wait at Galveston for the Receiver Audio Module. I experienced the same lack of commo with Genius. I was finally able to collect mine on 02 AUG 21. Funny thing is people were receiving 2022's before mine was available.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #16
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You have great taste HokieBeemer identical to mine right down to the moonlight black roof. Just checked the status and the Asian Majesty is now on its way to Nova Scotia scheduled to arrive on the 22nd I assume the next stop after that will be New Jersey.

Quote:
Ok COKen...sounds like we are waiting on the same vehicle.

Blue
White Interior
Black Interior Trim
Shadowline
Midnight Black Roof
19" Black Wheels
Both Packages: Driver Assist & Premium
Active Cruise Control
Harmon Kardon sound system
But I kept the blue brakes because I like it with the blue paint

Mine has been in Quality Check for seven weeks tomorrow. I'll let you know if the status changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #17
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have great taste HokieBeemer identical to mine right down to the moonlight black roof. Just checked the status and the Asian Majesty is now on its way to Nova Scotia scheduled to arrive on the 22nd I assume the next stop after that will be New Jersey.
Interesting. Mine went into production on Aug 7th when did yours go into production?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #18
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine entered production on 9/13

Quote:
Interesting. Mine went into production on Aug 7th when did yours go into production?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #19
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine entered production on 9/13
That's interesting. I wonder why yours beat mine by nearly two months+. Mine isn't even on a boat yet, and from what I remember, we have basically the same build. They must have actually found something wrong with mine that needed repairing.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #20
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah curious myself as to why mine was first on the boat. Something that popped into my mind. Do you currently own a BMW or is this your first? It shouldn’t matter but I am trading in my 2019 440i. Maybe the dealer near me sells more so their orders get moved up?

Glad to see yours turned up. Still sending all my luck your way COKen hoping yours shows up soon too.

Quote:
That's interesting. I wonder why yours beat mine by nearly two months+. Mine isn't even on a boat yet, and from what I remember, we have basically the same build. They must have actually found something wrong with mine that needed repairing.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #21
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe the dealer near me sells more so their orders get moved up?
I know my dealer sells LOTS of cars and mine is still in limbo, so I don't think its that. The more cars they sell, the more allocations they get. I actually took over an allocation that the dealer had already submitted. They just changed the build options to what I wanted so I got my order in faster than if they had submitted a new allocation.

Lot of good that did.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah curious myself as to why mine was first on the boat. Something that popped into my mind. Do you currently own a BMW or is this your first? It shouldn’t matter but I am trading in my 2019 440i. Maybe the dealer near me sells more so their orders get moved up?

Glad to see yours turned up. Still sending all my luck your way COKen hoping yours shows up soon too.
This is my first BMW. You might be right about the dealer volume. I could see that making a difference.
Appreciate 0