BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Tire replacement due; switched to Michelin All Seasons

10-08-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

Tire replacement due; switched to Michelin All Seasons

Right on time, 29k miles, Michelin Pilot Sports came due for replacement. Road noise was noticeable throughout their life, and I felt driving in rain was a tad bit dangerous. Severe hydroplaning occurred in moderate rain. 78 mph highway driving became 55-60. I settled on driving an alternate vehicle in the rain after a few scary encounters.

Quote from my BMW dealer to replace stock tires came in at $1385 for a set. Built the same set on Discount Tire's website for about $1100 installed. I decided on improving ride safety in the colder months and to make it more drivable in the rain, and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. I was able to drive away with the set of All Seasons for $862 installed at Discount Tire (including 10% military discount and a $110 rebate on the front pair).

I am happy to report, the Michelin All Season variant is a winner. Road noise is NON EXISTENT to this point, a major improvement over the stock Pilot Sport 4S I had. Grip on hard acceleration is incredible, maneuvering is sharp and precise. I don't expect at this point to see much drop off in aggressive handling from these tires. I assume there is also some break-in that still needs to take place, too.

Interestingly, I received an alert immediately after driving away from Discount Tire from the dashboard. You have to complete a series of entries to tell the car that you have put something other than stock tires on. It will then tell you to set the tire pressure to the correct setting if they are not at 33 psi front 35 psi rear. Mine were all over inflated by the shop so I had to let some air out of them.

I will follow up in the coming weeks with a report on rain driving/handling. I know some of you may consider this switch, and I'm probably further ahead on mileage than most of you all
Appreciate 2
Mixitt369.50
      10-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
Right on time, 29k miles, Michelin Pilot Sports came due for replacement. Road noise was noticeable throughout their life, and I felt driving in rain was a tad bit dangerous. Severe hydroplaning occurred in moderate rain. 78 mph highway driving became 55-60. I settled on driving an alternate vehicle in the rain after a few scary encounters.

Quote from my BMW dealer to replace stock tires came in at $1385 for a set. Built the same set on Discount Tire's website for about $1100 installed. I decided on improving ride safety in the colder months and to make it more drivable in the rain, and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. I was able to drive away with the set of All Seasons for $862 installed at Discount Tire (including 10% military discount and a $110 rebate on the front pair).

I am happy to report, the Michelin All Season variant is a winner. Road noise is NON EXISTENT to this point, a major improvement over the stock Pilot Sport 4S I had. Grip on hard acceleration is incredible, maneuvering is sharp and precise. I don't expect at this point to see much drop off in aggressive handling from these tires. I assume there is also some break-in that still needs to take place, too.

Interestingly, I received an alert immediately after driving away from Discount Tire from the dashboard. You have to complete a series of entries to tell the car that you have put something other than stock tires on. It will then tell you to set the tire pressure to the correct setting if they are not at 33 psi front 35 psi rear. Mine were all over inflated by the shop so I had to let some air out of them.

I will follow up in the coming weeks with a report on rain driving/handling. I know some of you may consider this switch, and I'm probably further ahead on mileage than most of you all
I live in South Florida where as you know we have heavy rains and I haven't noticed any hydroplaning on my stock 19 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2022 M40i.

Interesting about the road noise and glad you are pleased with the all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
I am happy to report, the Michelin All Season variant is a winner. Road noise is NON EXISTENT to this point, a major improvement over the stock Pilot Sport 4S I had.
Wow, thanks for the info. Road noise is a major consideration for me. Of course pavement conditions means a lot. Are they quiet even on the rough chip/seal type roads? The coarse versus slick surfaces?
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I live in South Florida where as you know we have heavy rains and I haven't noticed any hydroplaning on my stock 19 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2022 M40i.
OP has a 30i without M brakes & diff. Not entirely tire related.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Thanks for the clarification!
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      10-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Thanks for the clarification!
Part of why I think the 30i Dynamic Handling Package is $$ well spent.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Quote:
Part of why I think the 30i Dynamic Handling Package is $$ well spent.
I have small engine, with upgraded diff, brakes, etc. . . while not quite FL rains, HOU has some pretty heavy drops, and I definitely noticed some very discomforting hydroplaning on stock rubber at about 15k miles. Admittedly, the PSS may have been a bit low on tread depth, but dangit I found myself doing 45 in the rain getting passed by trucks cruising at 75+ . . . All nanny systems were on, and I could definitely feel when things kicked in. Perhaps I didn't have enough trust in the systems-it is a funky feeling, or perhaps I just know what it was to grow up in FL and lose it at hwy speeds . . . From stock PSS to PS4S: Switching out rubber was a happy upgrade. . Wet handling with PS4S def improved over worn PSS . . . Have 15k miles on the PS4S, and they still seem much better than PSS in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat30i View Post
I have small engine, with upgraded diff, brakes, etc. . . while not quite FL rains, HOU has some pretty heavy drops, and I definitely noticed some very discomforting hydroplaning on stock rubber at about 15k miles. Admittedly, the PSS may have been a bit low on tread depth, but dangit I found myself doing 45 in the rain getting passed by trucks cruising at 75+ . . . All nanny systems were on, and I could definitely feel when things kicked in. Perhaps I didn't have enough trust in the systems-it is a funky feeling, or perhaps I just know what it was to grow up in FL and lose it at hwy speeds . . . From stock PSS to PS4S: Switching out rubber was a happy upgrade. . Wet handling with PS4S def improved over worn PSS . . . Have 15k miles on the PS4S, and they still seem much better than PSS in the wet.
I've had issues in other cars. Have felt very secure in this one so far with PSS. Speed could be a factor. I also avoid Sport modes in bad weather.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've had issues in other cars. Have felt very secure in this one so far with PSS. Speed could be a factor. I also avoid Sport modes in bad weather.
I totally agree about not using Sport Mode in bad weather, especially considering how heavy the rains are here in South Florida!
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      10-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #10
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Right on time, 29k miles, Michelin Pilot Sports came due for replacement ... and went with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's.
I replaced my stock tires with the Michelin AS4 tires and after 6,600 miles of varied driving through 30-100 degree temps with rain, snow and sun I am very happy with them! I have the originals in the attic for a quick remount before turning in my car at lease-end though I am pretty sure I'm keeping it.

I got a good deal on the tires at Tire Rack and had them mounted and road-forced balanced at my BMW dealership for $170. They registered the tires with the car's system so everything was ready-to-go. I've been running the spec pressure of 32 psi.

Enjoy your year-round, all-weather driving!
Appreciate 2
DM6183.50
      10-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #11
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

Quote:
Please educate me on how M brakes and differential eliminate hydroplaning and tire noise. I'm fascinated by this statement. I am new to BMW products and anxious to learn more.

FWIW, my hydroplaning events have occurred on the highway in Comfort Mode. 70 mph with little standing water.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #12
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please educate me on how M brakes and differential eliminate hydroplaning and tire noise. I'm fascinated by this statement. I am new to BMW products and anxious to learn more.

FWIW, my hydroplaning events have occurred on the highway in Comfort Mode. 70 mph with little standing water.
Eliminate? Lots to read online about brakes & diff. General & M Sport specific. No comment on noise. My music is too loud.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 01:33 AM   #13
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Tires in the wet not so good. Only due to the fact my rears are always bald. 3 sets of rears. 471 HP is just to much fun!
2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3

Last edited by gasnet; 10-23-2021 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #14
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

4 wheel drive vs our rear drive fave makes all the difference in the world.
Appreciate 0