BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

08-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #67
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J400uk View Post
Posted a seperate thread but thought it worth listing here too, my car has a strange glitch where the Z4 M40i logo won't show on the instrument cluster in certain modes - https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1636339
Got my recall software upgrade installed yesterday. No change to my car; the M40i logo is always present in the display until I set a destination in the main navigation system when it disappears. it appears again when I STOP the navigation. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jim S; 08-03-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #68
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

CarPlay: though connected Waze navigation voice will not play over car speakers but only phone speaker despite setting on phone specifying car as source. when pushing the volume button in the car... it will say "no source connected"... anybody else?
      08-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #69
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
CarPlay: though connected Waze navigation voice will not play over car speakers but only phone speaker despite setting on phone specifying car as source. when pushing the volume button in the car... it will say "no source connected"... anybody else?
Actually, works is for me. I will check settings next time I am in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #70
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Actually, works is for me. I will check settings next time I am in the car.
I might know what is happening. If I have music running in the background, e.g. via Apple Music, I will hear the instructions over the car speakers. If I have nothing running it will go via phone speaker. It should run through car speakers regardless. Not sure of another iDrive software bug.
      08-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #71
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I might know what is happening. If I have music running in the background, e.g. via Apple Music, I will hear the instructions over the car speakers. If I have nothing running it will go via phone speaker. It should run through car speakers regardless. Not sure of another iDrive software bug.
Any music? I know I typically listen to music from local radio stations or SiriusXM, not the iPhone. I am reasonably certain Waze warnings come from the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #72
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any music? I know I typically listen to music from local radio stations or SiriusXM, not the iPhone. I am reasonably certain Waze warnings come from the speakers.
Yes, any music and it will be fine. If nothing is running it will go via phone speakers. Should not.
      08-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #73
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I discovered the other day that there is a setting in “External Lighting” under the heading “Comfort” (in RED text) for Welcome and goodbye. If you untick the box, the headlights no longer come on when you approach the car with the key in your possession.
My car received a software update a few days ago and this function now seems to be removed. If you tick the welcome and goodbye box the headlights no longer come on when you approach the car with the key in your possession. The headlights now only come on when you unlock the car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #74
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I discovered the other day that there is a setting in "External Lighting" under the heading "Comfort" (in RED text) for Welcome and goodbye. If you untick the box, the headlights no longer come on when you approach the car with the key in your possession.
My car received a software update a few days ago and this function now seems to be removed. If you tick the welcome and goodbye box the headlights no longer come on when you approach the car with the key in your possession. The headlights now only come on when you unlock the car
That makes much more sense: which software version are you on? I am scheduled to receive a DME reprogramming next week. I presume that will also include the latest iDrive software 7/2019/xx
      08-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #75
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
That makes much more sense: which software version are you on? I am scheduled to receive a DME reprogramming next week. I presume that will also include the latest iDrive software 7/2019/xx
Actually, I like that the car welcomes me when it senses me! I don’t want to take key fob out of pocket and Push buttons first.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #76
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I took my car in for the DME reprogramming on Thursday and they also updated the iDrive software to July 2019 version.

Lost a few of my settings and playlists so I had to spend a bit of time putting it all back the way it was before the upgrade.

In addition to the change in operation of the welcome and goodbye function, the only other things I have noticed so far is the car sounds a bit louder on acceleration and the fuel consumption seems to have improved.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #77
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, I like that the car welcomes me when it senses me! I don’t want to take key fob out of pocket and Push buttons first.
I believe that your car has “comfort access” so you don’t have to take the key out of your pocket to open/close or start/stop the car. However, the “welcome and goodbye” function now only switches on the headlights (and tail lights) when you touch the door handle to open the door or press the open button on your remote key.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #78
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In my case the fob is stored close to the car on an inside board next to the garage door (like 6 feet from the car just inside the home). Whenever somebody touches the fob by accident the lights go on. Hence, too much activity for me.
      08-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #79
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe that your car has “comfort access” so you don’t have to take the key out of your pocket to open/close or start/stop the car. However, the “welcome and goodbye” function now only switches on the headlights (and tail lights) when you touch the door handle to open the door or press the open button on your remote key.
Yeah, I hate that. I don't need it to light the path for me when I am already at the car, I need it to do that while I am approaching the car. My old Z4 did that, never understood that.

I sure hope that's a European 'thing' and they don't take that away here in the US. Although my car seems to be fine, really, so maybe I won't do the software upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #80
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
In my case the fob is stored close to the car on an inside board next to the garage door (like 6 feet from the car just inside the home). Whenever somebody touches the fob by accident the lights go on. Hence, too much activity for me.
Well, ok, I get that. But then you can just turn feature off? If you have to take out your fob anyway?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #81
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, ok, I get that. But then you can just turn feature off? If you have to take out your fob anyway?
Yes.
      08-07-2019, 03:38 AM   #82
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I used to keep both of my car key fobs on a table in my house just outside the garage door. In 8 weeks I went through 3 key fob batteries so I now store my fobs on another table further away. I think the fobs were interacting with the car while parked. Just a guess as I am not really sure. So far so good as I have not had to replace any more batteries in the last 9 weeks (touch wood!!!).
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #83
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I used to keep both of my car key fobs on a table in my house just outside the garage door. In 8 weeks I went through 3 key fob batteries so I now store my fobs on another table further away. I think the fobs were interacting with the car while parked. Just a guess as I am not really sure. So far so good as I have not had to replace any more batteries in the last 9 weeks (touch wood!!!).
You are onto something there. That is likely the reason - though, when not touched for a while they should go to sleep. I have also removed my key from its normal place - less convenient now.
      08-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #84
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are onto something there. That is likely the reason - though, when not touched for a while they should go to sleep. I have also removed my key from its normal place - less convenient now.
If you want the car headlights to come on when you approach the car with your key in your pocket, activate the “comfort” option under the doors settings. You can set it to unlock and light up the car when you get within 2 metres of it. You also need to tick the box for the welcome and goodbye lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #85
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you want the car headlights to come on when you approach the car with your key in your pocket, activate the “comfort” option under the doors settings. You can set it to unlock and light up the car when you get within 2 metres of it. You also need to tick the box for the welcome and goodbye lights.
Thanks! I actually disabled both due to the key proximity. I will revisit once I get the software update.
      08-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #86
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
My passenger side window has developed a squeaking noise when it goes up. Just the last bit when it moves against the insulation of the roof. Also hear it when opening and closing the door and the window moves. Not bad, but embarrassing.

Any suggestions? Just a bit of silicone spray on the rubber insulation? Or will that compromise the seal in any way and let water in?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #87
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
My passenger side window has developed a squeaking noise when it goes up. Just the last bit when it moves against the insulation of the roof. Also hear it when opening and closing the door and the window moves. Not bad, but embarrassing.

Any suggestions? Just a bit of silicone spray on the rubber insulation? Or will that compromise the seal in any way and let water in?
Mine was doing this recently on the driver side after I had window tint installed. Just used some soapy water that had a mild detergent (hand soap honestly) and cleaned the tint where it makes contact with the rubber gasket on the top. Wouldn't hurt to do the same to the top gasket as well. Didn't compromise the seal in any way that I've noticed.
2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      08-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #88
gheumann
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i, 2018 540i

If there's a way to switch this off on a U.S. model, I haven't found it. Makes me crazy. Putting the car cover on - the car probably locks and unlocks 5 times. Dust-bustering it - same thing. Walking by it - once or twice.

I really don't mind having to touch the door handle and if there were an option to turn off the "detect my presence" feature I would turn it off!

Anyone find this option on a U.S. car?

Quote:
I switched off the settings to lock and unlock when approaching or leaving the vicinity of the car. The headlights still come on sometimes when I get near the car when it is locked. I think it might have something to do with the key going to sleep after about 30 seconds. If you then lift the key and go near the car the headlights sometimes, not always, light up.
Very strange, still trying to understand the logic.
Appreciate 0