BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Social Dilemma Netflix

09-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #23
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
You guys know Bimmerpost is social media, right??!
Internet forums have certainly been echo chambers since they started in the 90s, but they are nothing compared to social media giants like Facebook, IG, Twitter, Youtube, etc. which have definitely warped the way human beings think and behave.

And car forums are basically harmless, just a place for us to gather and complain and troll one another.
Appreciate 3
      09-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #24
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It is truly a wake up call for how one is using the internet and apps.
      09-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #25
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I just watched it and it's very interesting. It's made me think a little about how I use my apps. Ex. Instagram. I follow a ton of local boutiques. Today I purchased 3 things only because I was scrolling through and then saw a sale on the boutiques story. I used to only go shop when I needed something. I need to change this immediately. I always forgot to post so it's not like I use it for that purpose. FB, I deleted all my friends years ago so it's virtually useless to me.

I do think social media has rendered some people idiots and unable to use their mind for critical thinking. It was really sad to see the statistics on how it affects preteens and teens.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #26
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

It's long overdue we remind each other, especially as parents, how toxic screen time is for us and how detrimental it is for our kids. My kids won't be getting smart phones or social media until they are adults. Our country has done a shameful job at not regulating these industries and exporting these platforms around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 5
gotchy8.00
jmack548.50
TboneS54989.50
shimmy232330.00
      10-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #27
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

We watched last night, crazy stuff, even though I suspected most of it. Thats not one disgruntled employee, and the push back has started from tech side.

This should be mandatory watching each year for H.S. students.

Add that with MSM, and like the one guy said, end result will be Civil war.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      10-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I don't have Netflix but can surmise some of the talking points based on those that have seen it and posted here.

I never understood how people allow a platform such as FB to rule their lives and many times ruin it. I see it as akin to credit cards.

I have a good friend that is consumed by FB. She blasting posts in rapid fire over her political leanings. Enough where many times I worry she's falling into some deep abyss. I also feel it was one facet of why her marriage failed as she and her ex husband would get into it with each other. Her ex husband would post up some inflammatory political post where it would enrage her. She would retaliate with an inflammatory political post she knew would get under his skin. Back and forth it went. She would vent to me about all the problems in her marriage. I told her she and her husband needed to get off of FB for at least a week if not more. But she wouldn't listen.

I have certain rules about what I post up on FB. The first and foremost rule. No politics or controversial topics. I have enough going on in my life to waste more energy. The majority of my posts are pics of my daughter or places I've visited. My FB page serves two purposes. It is a central spot for pics that make me happy that I can readily access. And it allows friends to see how my daughter is growing up.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      10-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #29
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
https://www.wsj.com/articles/faceboo..._copyURL_share
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #30
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't have Netflix but can surmise some of the talking points based on those that have seen it and posted here.

I never understood how people allow a platform such as FB to rule their lives and many times ruin it. I see it as akin to credit cards.

I have a good friend that is consumed by FB. She blasting posts in rapid fire over her political leanings. Enough where many times I worry she's falling into some deep abyss. I also feel it was one facet of why her marriage failed as she and her ex husband would get into it with each other. Her ex husband would post up some inflammatory political post where it would enrage her. She would retaliate with an inflammatory political post she knew would get under his skin. Back and forth it went. She would vent to me about all the problems in her marriage. I told her she and her husband needed to get off of FB for at least a week if not more. But she wouldn't listen.

I have certain rules about what I post up on FB. The first and foremost rule. No politics or controversial topics. I have enough going on in my life to waste more energy. The majority of my posts are pics of my daughter or places I've visited. My FB page serves two purposes. It is a central spot for pics that make me happy that I can readily access. And it allows friends to see how my daughter is growing up.
IMO I view social media outlets such as FB as an incredibly convenient way for people to constantly compare their perception of their life to others within their group. It's not healthy

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
shimmy232330.00
zx10guy5139.00
      10-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #31
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

not just FB, youtube, TikTok, Instagram all of them. FB just mastered the psycho fuck first.

You either post or you don't, either on there or not. Point of show is, if you are on, you are part of problem, even if you think what you do is "innocent"
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #32
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
not just FB, youtube, TikTok, Instagram all of them. FB just mastered the psycho fuck first.

You either post or you don't, either on there or not. Point of show is, if you are on, you are part of problem, even if you think what you do is "innocent"
Preach. Too many people making too many excuses why they keep it. Far off family, marketplace blah blah.

I’ve never had the facespace and do quite alright without any of it. Doesn’t seem impossible to live without it which means it’s purely choice. Addiction.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #33
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Preach. Too many people making too many excuses why they keep it. Far off family, marketplace blah blah.

I’ve never had the facespace and do quite alright without any of it. Doesn’t seem impossible to live without it which means it’s purely choice. Addiction.
THe executives were clear. Thats the point. You can't say I "only use for this" Your algorithm is set. Its straight up #1984 stuff.

Its my last vice and here. Wife bagged a year ago. Love the 235/240 page lol. Damnit sucking me in !

Its so look at me narcissism. Really, its not about you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Assume much?

I use it as I said because my ex F'd me on custody of my kid. So I don't have the 50/50 custody I should have. Which also means I don't have time to have my daughter around those that are in my inner circle. Some of which are quite a distance away from where I am. So it's the easiest way for them to stay in touch with how my daughter is doing.

Also, there are some positives with FB that are not found anywhere else. There is a Colon Cancer support group on FB which is hands down THE best resource for information on current and upcoming treatments. Not only are there a ton of knowledgeable people on there that obtained their information through personal experience or by degree/work, there are also doctors that participate. Also, there are various FB groups that provide a wealth of information on various topics such as what can be found here on Bimmerpost.

FB is just a tool for me. I'm not up constantly posting up crap with the intent of look at me look at me.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #35
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

facebook needs to die
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #36
markmason
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

It was very interesting, I am mid way ..will complete today
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #37
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
facebook needs to die
I wish it would. I have friends who wouldn't know what to do with themselves. I believe they would go into a deep depression.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #38
Harrysalvatore1989
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Thanks for the recommendation. I will watch this weekend
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #39
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

jus started half of the doc. really good so far. And i stand by my statement, fb needs to die.

But leave IG be, i need to see hoes "livin their best life"
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #40
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

As someone who stepped down as a tech CTO who worked at a company focused on data collection, there are a lot of things you can do to still enjoy the benefits of social media without giving them everything. As zx10 mentioned there are great support group resources (I was on a similar group for a specific condition I suffer from that used Yahoo until Yahoo finally axed groups) and other reason that make it a useful too for some.

1 - Use false information. Minimize what you put into the platform. Any data you contribute just grows the web of information they can collect. Un-tag yourself from photos that you might be tagged in.
2 - Disable every permission you can from the app. This is especially true for location, bluetooth, camera, and microphone. Enabling your microphone DOES allow them to listen to you while you use the app. If you ever talked about a topic then got ads for it moments later, this is not coincidence. They can use high frequency tones emitted during a TV show to figure out what show you have on in the background.
3 - Use tools more focused towards privacy, Mozilla, Duckduckgo, adblock etc are all useful ways of limiting what cookies and other information can link you across sites.

As the documentary gets into, there are plenty of useful reasons for social media, whether its looking at new M3 posts while taking a dump or sharing moments with your family members who you can't see while quarantined.

The problem as they point out is that middle aged men aren't the big problem. It's my 10 year old niece who is going to have to deal with these demons.
      10-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #41
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

I turned off all social media alerts on my phone after watching that show.

It's actually much nicer not getting them.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #42
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

As they say in the program, if it's free you are the product. I find that as little exposure to it is best for me.
      10-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #43
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

The issue with the "innocent" using, the negative gets through. We'd be a much better world w/o. Make a call, send pics of kids or hey visit.

Its a another long list of "convenience" making society lazy and disrespectful.

No assumptions made, plenty of studies showing making folks depressed, angry and sad, even the ones trying to just enjoy benefits. We are farther apart as a society. 10 executives said that, not me.

(they were reluctant to offset the positive in most cases)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #44
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
As someone who stepped down as a tech CTO who worked at a company focused on data collection, there are a lot of things you can do to still enjoy the benefits of social media without giving them everything. As zx10 mentioned there are great support group resources (I was on a similar group for a specific condition I suffer from that used Yahoo until Yahoo finally axed groups) and other reason that make it a useful too for some.

1 - Use false information. Minimize what you put into the platform. Any data you contribute just grows the web of information they can collect. Un-tag yourself from photos that you might be tagged in.
2 - Disable every permission you can from the app. This is especially true for location, bluetooth, camera, and microphone. Enabling your microphone DOES allow them to listen to you while you use the app. If you ever talked about a topic then got ads for it moments later, this is not coincidence. They can use high frequency tones emitted during a TV show to figure out what show you have on in the background.
3 - Use tools more focused towards privacy, Mozilla, Duckduckgo, adblock etc are all useful ways of limiting what cookies and other information can link you across sites.

As the documentary gets into, there are plenty of useful reasons for social media, whether its looking at new M3 posts while taking a dump or sharing moments with your family members who you can't see while quarantined.

The problem as they point out is that middle aged men aren't the big problem. It's my 10 year old niece who is going to have to deal with these demons.
i guess technically it can "allow" them to listen, but that doesn't mean that they do. that would require a serious amount of data (to record and send every single second of every conversation of every single FB user). people do bring that up a lot... "i was talking to my friend about XYZ and then minutes later i got an ad about it!"... but they neglect the part where they searched about XYZ the night before, or in some way have shown interest toward XYZ.
Appreciate 0