BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum During Checkout

10-13-2023, 09:29 PM   #1
z4forme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M4.0i

During Checkout

For some, this is the worst part of buying a new car. Most obviously, commissioned personnel push stuff that may or may not be worth it. The most basic exteneded BMW plan allows for the transfer of the warranty up until 3 yrs. For $850 that sounds like a no-brainer.

I have also read on other threads the issues with Cilajet which are quite revealing. BTW My dealer sells that as well. I am opting for a 3-rd party applying Xpel on the front with Fusion over and then Ceramic Pro the rest. Local shop is expert.

Any others?

Thanks,
Phil
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 12:38 AM   #2
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
In general, very few of the "addons" offered are even worth considering. And then, out of those, I'd say most of the time it's better to pass; many (like wheel/tire insurance) need to be used multiple times before you break-even. Of course, everything there is negotiable, so, with plenty of luck, you may talk your way into a half-decent option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4forme View Post
The most basic exteneded BMW plan allows for the transfer of the warranty up until 3 yrs. For $850 that sounds like a no-brainer.
I'd make very sure you actually think you're going to drive enough to need new brakes in the first three years, because otherwise it's not worth it at all IMO. From BMWs website though, you can read that "BMW Ultimate Care+ is transferable to subsequent owners and lessees sold or leased by an authorized BMW Center. BMW Ultimate Care+ availability varies by model and vehicles must be enrolled in program prior to reaching 60 months / 60,000 miles", so you may be able to get it IF you notice you need new brakes.

Quote:
I have also read on other threads the issues with Cilajet which are quite revealing. BTW My dealer sells that as well. I am opting for a 3-rd party applying Xpel on the front with Fusion over and then Ceramic Pro the rest. Local shop is expert.
Yeah that kind of stuff is usually better from a specialized shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
For some, this is the worst part of buying a new car. Most obviously, commissioned personnel push stuff that may or may not be worth it. The most basic exteneded BMW plan allows for the transfer of the warranty up until 3 yrs. For $850 that sounds like a no-brainer.

Any others?

Thanks,
Phil
Definitely use a shop that specializes in PPF and ceramic coating and not the dealer for these applications.

Here are several goods brands besides Xpel (which I have) so do your homework. If you are doing PPF avoid shops that use precut panels.

You should read the posts in the Bimmerpost forum dedicated to Cosmetic Care to get more information.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
In general, very few of the "addons" offered are even worth considering. And then, out of those, I'd say most of the time it's better to pass; many (like wheel/tire insurance) need to be used multiple times before you break-even. Of course, everything there is negotiable, so, with plenty of luck, you may talk your way into a half-decent option.

Yeah that kind of stuff is usually better from a specialized shop.
I purchased the tire/ wheel/ paintless dent repair plan from my dealer, it cost $2,000 for 5 years of coverage. The roads where I live in the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area are simply awful, there is building construction everywhere and debris allover the streets. In the first 2 years of ownership I have replaced 4 Michelin Pilot SS tires from nails/ screws and have already broken even on this $2k investment. If someone lives in an area where the roads are like mine it definitely pays to get a plan like this.
Appreciate 2
goat30i146.00
      10-14-2023, 10:05 AM   #5
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I purchased the tire/ wheel/ paintless dent repair plan from my dealer, it cost $2,000 for 5 years of coverage. The roads where I live in the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area are simply awful, there is building construction everywhere and debris allover the streets. In the first 2 years of ownership I have replaced 4 Michelin Pilot SS tires from nails/ screws and have already broken even on this $2k investment. If someone lives in an area where the roads are like mine it definitely pays to get a plan like this.
I always get the wheel/tire insurance on my new cars.
On our X3 we went through 5 tires last year, in Canada, those tires are roughly $900 each, whereas I spent $1500 for the insurance.
Appreciate 2
goat30i146.00
      10-14-2023, 10:07 AM   #6
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
I always get the wheel/tire insurance on my new cars.
On our X3 we went through 5 tires last year, in Canada, those tires are roughly $900 each, whereas I spent $1500 for the insurance.
My SA told me that this is the only plan that he always recommends to his customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #7
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
I turned all of their options away as I had to stretch the budget already to buy the car lol, but the tire/wheel plan I really thought about…..hope doesn’t bite me in the ass.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2023, 10:19 AM   #8
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
I turned all of their options away as I had to stretch the budget already to buy the car lol, but the tire/wheel plan I really thought about…..hope doesn’t bite me in the ass.
What type and how many tire/ wheel issues have you had on your previous vehicles? That might give you an answer on whether or not to purchase a plan like this. 😉
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      10-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What type and how many tire/ wheel issues have you had on your previous vehicles? That might give you an answer on whether or not to purchase a plan like this. 😉
Exactly my thinking, have not had many tire issues in previous years. Only twice in my life had I had a catastrophic failure due to pothole/bolt piercing a tire.
Appreciate 2
Argo698.50
      10-14-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
72sirmako
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15), BMW Z4 (G29)

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M4.0i  [9.92]
2017 BMW X5  [8.75]
My SA only recommended the dent repair, as was said, need a lot of tire/rim repairs to break even. That was almost a 4k add on for me so I skipped it. The ultimate care wasn't going to work for me as I'll probably run out of time before I need brakes.

Nick
Appreciate 2
Argo698.50
      10-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72sirmako View Post
My SA only recommended the dent repair, as was said, need a lot of tire/rim repairs to break even. That was almost a 4k add on for me so I skipped it. The ultimate care wasn't going to work for me as I'll probably run out of time before I need brakes.

Nick
$4k sounds very high for a plan like this and I would have passed also.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #12
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

A little soapbox moment here, sorry.....I'm a big finance/budget guy. The additional comments inspired me to share some advice.

The question of purchasing extended warranties and similar coverages is an important personal finance decision. Remember, if you are financing the vehicle, you are also paying interest on the cost of the extended plans, which makes them much more expensive than the listed price. For example, $5,000 in extended coverage/maintenance plans, financed at 7.3% interest for 5 years, is going to cost you roughly another $1,000. So, clearly understand, you are borrowing money from a bank, with interest, to pay for an extra coverage you might never need.

People who operate with a cash savings emergency fund to cover life's unforseen expenses typically don't need to purchase these often under-utilized extended coverages...this is what an emergency fund is for. I am in this group, and since I only plan to log 5,000-10,000 miles per year, I personally declined all extra coverages on my 2022 M40i. So take a close look at your situation and your needs.

Those who have little to no savings might want the extra protection that the extended plans provide. I would personally never recommend anyone buy a new(er) BMW in this situation, but...to each their own.

All that being said, remember that BMW and all other car manufacturers set the price on these plans that makes them a significant profit across the population of their sales. As the consumer, it is statistically highly probable you will lose (money) in this arrangement. A few unlucky individuals will accomplish the feat of outgaining the initial cost of the extended coverage plan. Maintenance plans might be an exception here, they are generally not overpriced if you plan to do your maintenance at the dealer anyways (but if you finance the car, you pay interest on the maintenance plan). If you live in an area with horrible roads as one other poster mentioned, perhaps the extended wheel warranty is appropriate for your situation. Just some things to consider, needs are different for everyone. Just understand what you are signing up for. Personally, I like keeping my money, rather than giving it away to large corporations and using piece of mind as a reason. Your savings account should be your piece of mind!

Carefully analyze your needs before you sit down in front of the sales managers. Be well informed, don't buy anything on impulse or under pressure without having the knowledge needed to make the decision. Halt the process and make them explain if needed. Good luck!
Argo698.50
GerryC1616.00
StanDiego6248.50
      10-14-2023, 02:39 PM   #13
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
remember that BMW and all other car manufacturers set the price on these plans that makes them a significant profit across the population of their sales. As the consumer, it is statistically highly probable you will lose (money) in this arrangement. A few unlucky individuals will accomplish the feat of outgaining the initial cost of the extended coverage plan.
Completely agree. You're effectively buying insurance. Given the ceiling for out-of-pocket costs on what's covered is relatively low, I'd argue it's better to self-insure.

The 5 years of tires/wheels/dents for $2K like Westside Guy mentioned is kinda getting there, but my experience is this kind of plan typically costs much more, and for wheels it doesn't cover curb-rash (which may be a more common claim for a lot of people). You also have to factor in things like the fact that a lot of tire purchases these days include road-hazard damage coverage anyway, or you can get it for a lot less at places like America's Tire or TireRack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6 View Post
Maintenance plans might be an exception here, they are generally not overpriced if you plan to do your maintenance at the dealer anyways (but if you finance the car, you pay interest on the maintenance plan).
Indeed, maintenance plans tend to be the exception here, but mostly because they make dealer service pricing be reasonable instead of highway robbery. As I mentioned earlier, the big thing to consider for those is that almost always you can buy them when you need them instead of upfront.

New BMWs already include basic dealer maintenance through the warranty period though, so I'd argue there's little need to service at the dealer after that.
Appreciate 1
DM6185.00
      10-14-2023, 10:05 PM   #14
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:

New BMWs already include basic dealer maintenance through the warranty period though, so I'd argue there's little need to service at the dealer after that.
Perhaps things have changed but my '22 Z4 includes maintenance for only 36 months, warranty for 48 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:44 PM   #15
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Perhaps things have changed but my '22 Z4 includes maintenance for only 36 months, warranty for 48 months.
Oh yeah but assuming you're getting the services based on time the warranty will run out just as you're due for the first non-included service.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:53 AM   #16
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah but assuming you're getting the services based on time the warranty will run out just as you're due for the first non-included service.
Also read that the 36 months maintenance is free for the 1st owner of the car. Those buying second hand are not entitled to it apparently.

The road hazard offered by tire installers is a great point made earlier, think we paid $100 for my wife’s lifetime 4 tires recently installed on the CX5. That was imo well worth the cost.
Appreciate 1
stlcdr1014.50
      10-15-2023, 08:15 AM   #17
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Warranty and service are two completely different things, though.

But is sounds like you are having a snipe at less-than-scrupulous dealers…
      10-15-2023, 09:43 AM   #18
z4forme
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

As we all know, the std warranty is 4 yrs or 50k miles, which is not transferable. That includes roadside assistance for the same time period. The included svc is for 3 yrs or 36k miles.

I think the Ultimate Care+ for $850 makes sense so as to provide a transferable warranty.

If year 4 service is over $1400 than the Ultimate Care+1 would make sense. When I reviewed the svc schedule I didn't see anything that would cause that, but as others have said, excessive brake wear could make it cost effective. $2249 represents a 3% premium over the cost of my build ($72,725). This one is on the bubble.

I have never purchased a tire and wheel package but I might this time. I do not know the cost. Over the years, I do occaisionaly pick up a screw or nail in a tire. If the dealers package includes curb rash and it is transferable than I might add this one as well.

In regards, to Cilajet, I will pass and go with a PPF installer. In the Monterey Bay area, Elite Auto Films is popular. Xpel Ultimate Plus on the front end covered with Xpel Fusion ceramic coating will cost $2700. Ceramic Pro would be used for the rest, 2 layers of 9H topped with 1 layer of topcoat is $1400.

Thanks again,
Phil
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #19
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

As we all know, the std warranty is 4 yrs or 50k miles, which is not transferable. That includes roadside assistance for the same time period. The included svc is for 3 yrs or 36k miles.

I think the Ultimate Care+ for $850 makes sense so as to provide a transferable warranty.

If year 4 service is over $1400 than the Ultimate Care+1 would make sense. When I reviewed the svc schedule I didn't see anything that would cause that, but as others have said, excessive brake wear could make it cost effective. $2249 represents a 3% premium over the cost of my build ($72,725). This one is on the bubble.

I have never purchased a tire and wheel package but I might this time. I do not know the cost. Over the years, I do occaisionaly pick up a screw or nail in a tire. If the dealers package includes curb rash and it is transferable than I might add this one as well.

In regards, to Cilajet, I will pass and go with a PPF installer. In the Monterey Bay area, Elite Auto Films is popular. Xpel Ultimate Plus on the front end covered with Xpel Fusion ceramic coating will cost $2700. Ceramic Pro would be used for the rest, 2 layers of 9H topped with 1 layer of topcoat is $1400.

Thanks again,
Phil
Why are you mixing two types of ceramic?

My shop put Ceramic Pro 9H & Top Coat on my Xpel PPF.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 07:00 PM   #20
z4forme
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Why are you mixing two types of ceramic?

My shop put Ceramic Pro 9H & Top Coat on my Xpel PPF.
Xpel now only warranties their film if you use their ceramic. I too have used Ceramic Pro on top of Xpel and had no issues. My installer says it is best to now use a hybrid solution so as to not void the Xpel warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:48 AM   #21
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Xpel now only warranties their film if you use their ceramic. I too have used Ceramic Pro on top of Xpel and had no issues. My installer says it is best to now use a hybrid solution so as to not void the Xpel warranty.
Is your installer saying that Ceramic Pro’s ceramic products are better than Xpel’s which is why you are doing the rear that way?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #22
perryinva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4S30i 2019 X3x30i

In the USA, the standard warranty and service coverage is transferred to a new owner. When I enrolled my 2022 s30i via MyBMW, it shows the previous owner apparently paid for an extended Service Warranty for 5 years and it transferred with the vehicle through 2027.
Appreciate 0