BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 07 997 Carrera S or E92 M3?

03-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #67
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Yep, I'm the same sticky with the fastest recorded 1/4 mile for an E92 M3. Yep, terrible driver.

Oh, ya, turbo cars running 100+ Octane are clearly an apples to apples comparison. Because, with boost, the M3 only makes... what, 600 wheel, on pump?

You should be quiet as you don't know what you are talking about Don't write checks with your fingers for others to cash.

Don't worry, I'll remind you of the post after my next trip to the strip.
I'm sure terry will be willing to race you again next time at the track... Whats your best e.t. and trap.

whats a turbo setup for the m3 coast, 25k? oranges to oranges....sure...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #68
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
I'm sure terry will be willing to race you again next time at the track... Whats your best e.t. and trap.

whats a turbo setup for the m3 coast, 25k? oranges to oranges....sure...
The M3 doesn't need a turbo setup, you obviously aren't familiar with M cars and forced induction.

If money for modding was an issue I would drive a 135... well scratch that, at least a 335.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #69
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M3 doesn't need a turbo setup, you obviously aren't familiar with M cars and forced induction.

If money for modding was an issue I would drive a 135... well scratch that, at least a 335.

HAHA, your funny... the 135i performs better than the 335i at everything except cargo room... I am very familiar with with ///M cars, but the e92 m3 doesn't have the potential of the e46... and it is much less attractive looking...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #70
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
HAHA, your funny... the 135i performs better than the 335i at everything except cargo room... I am very familiar with with ///M cars, but the e92 m3 doesn't have the potential of the e46... and it is much less attractive looking...
I disagree with...well...all of this.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #71
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 135 is a bit lighter. Doesn't change its place at the bottom of the lineup and the looks... well, up to the individual I guess.

I did not realize you were able to establish potential so quickly. Clearly I have underestimated you. How long after the E46 M3 launched did it take for you to predict it would be hitting the numbers it is on stock internals with a turbo?

Because, as I recall, having an E46 M3, most people were incorrectly calling the motors weak due to the bearing issue in the first few years after launch.

Oh, and the E46 M3 never hit 600 wheel on pump only with a supercharger. But hey, you know what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #72
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Blahblah135iblahblahlookslikeadonkeyblahfanboysbla hblahkeepfuckingblahthreadblahontopicblah

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #73
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 135 is a bit lighter. Doesn't change its place at the bottom of the lineup and the looks... well, up to the individual I guess.

I did not realize you were able to establish potential so quickly. Clearly I have underestimated you. How long after the E46 M3 launched did it take for you to predict it would be hitting the numbers it is on stock internals with a turbo?

Because, as I recall, having an E46 M3, most people were incorrectly calling the motors weak due to the bearing issue in the first few years after launch.

Oh, and the E46 M3 never hit 600 wheel on pump only with a supercharger. But hey, you know what you are talking about.
I have driven a 550 whp e46 m3 with an active autowerks supercharger on stock internals... That was with water meth on pump gas...

The e92 is overweight and dimensionally huge for even a GT... Plus an FI system on a car that already gets horrible gas mileage would be a disaster...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have driven a 550 whp e46 m3 with an active autowerks supercharger on stock internals... That was with water meth on pump gas...

The e92 is overweight and dimensionally huge for even a GT... Plus an FI system on a car that already gets horrible gas mileage would be a disaster...
Ya, a 600 wheel disaster on pump gas without water meth.

Uh, it isn't as heavy as people like to make it out to be. You must have missed the previous page.

You do understand how a centrifugal works don't you? You don't have full boost all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #75
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

And another E90post thread devolves into testosterone laden chest thumping.....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #76
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya, a 600 wheel disaster on pump gas without water meth.

Uh, it isn't as heavy as people like to make it out to be. You must have missed the previous page.

You do understand how a centrifugal works don't you? You don't have full boost all the time.
Yes, I am well aware of how a centrifugal supercharger works, and have actually installed one myself before. It still doesn't change the fact that it will decrease mileage at part throttle greatly...

600whp is a disaster on most cars without supporting mods like water meth, whats your point?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #77
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
And another E90post thread devolves into testosterone laden chest thumping.....
Agreed, I am done taking this thread OT.... Sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #78
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware of how a centrifugal supercharger works, and have actually installed one myself before. It still doesn't change the fact that it will decrease mileage at part throttle greatly...

600whp is a disaster on most cars without supporting mods like water meth, whats your point?
My point is you don't need water-meth to hit 600 wheel thanks to the displacement and superior valvetrain.

At part throttle I don't see a huge difference as you aren't making much more power than stock down at low revs so you aren't flowing much more fuel. WOT, ya, but you aren't WOT all the time. You are taking the driving habit out of the equation.

Last edited by Sticky; 03-13-2009 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #79
rotaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: CaymanS

please keep this on topic.
      03-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #80
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Another classic example of why I am becoming less and less of a viewer of this site.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #81
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 997S / 2007 CaymanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Another classic example of why I am becoming less and less of a viewer of this site.
it's good entertainment, nonetheless...

2008 Porsche 911 S 6MT [GT Silver/Cocoa extended leather/sport chrono/loaded]
2007 Porsche Cayman S 6MT [Black/Black extended leather/typical options] Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #82
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs down

6SpeedOnline is down right now, so I have to suffer through this shit.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #83
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
it's good entertainment, nonetheless...
I need a garage like yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #84
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 997S / 2007 CaymanS

To the OP:

I’ve purchased and driven many cars. I’ve also been fortunate to have extensive seat time in some pretty exotic ones as well (so have many in this forum, I’m sure).

You’ll always end up negotiating with yourself if you compare a new car versus one that is used. Cars depreciate – everyone knows that. I’ve only purchased/considered new cars for my own personal reasons, but in the case of 997 vs M3, you’ll always pay much more for the Porsche.

Hence, the P-car status thing, which quite frankly as an enthusiast, I consider it a negative. However, it would be wrong to dismiss it as a toy for snobs who don’t know a thing about driving. It’s 40 years worth of R&D in a platform that’s fundamentally “wrong”. Yet, there’s magic there in the way how the 911 gels and form as a focused driving tool. And when you’re able to learn to use the “wrong” engine location to your advantage…you’ll have bonded with it.

Truth is, both 997 and E92 M3 are great street performance cars. However, if I were in your shoes, I would ask myself, “Do I want to spend $90K+on the Porsche, or $70K for the M3”. If I’m comfortable with the price, PERSONALLY, I would pick the 911 every time. What I can’t understand is, why are you not comparing a used 911 to a used M3?

If you don't get how I described the 911 above (I mean no disrespect - the 911 is not for everyone) ...if straight line speed is important to you and that you’re sensitive to cost…I would go with a used Z06 and spend the difference of the price of the M3 in mods. I happen to think that the Z06 is a great performance car as well.

2008 Porsche 911 S 6MT [GT Silver/Cocoa extended leather/sport chrono/loaded]
2007 Porsche Cayman S 6MT [Black/Black extended leather/typical options] Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #85
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
ahahahaha oh wow
      03-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #86
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
Hence, the P-car status thing, which quite frankly as an enthusiast, I consider it a negative. However, it would be wrong to dismiss it as a toy for snobs who don’t know a thing about driving. It’s 40 years worth of R&D in a platform that’s fundamentally “wrong”. Yet, there’s magic there in the way how the 911 gels and form as a focused driving tool. And when you’re able to learn to use the “wrong” engine location to your advantage…you’ll have bonded with it.
Which is some of the reason why I'm on my second 993 and my third 911. The status thing is really unfortunate esp in places like LA where you see so many 997 cabs and tiptronics. Driven by people who have never even heard of the PCA.

And the car in its current form, although still great fun to drive, has been plumbed and watercooled, tamed with electronic nannies, and no longer has a real dry sump (except for the GT3, of course.) However, all the taming down of the car with its modern conveniences and the marketing on the status thing has kept Porsche profitable. But yes, toss out that status crap and it is a true sports car car with a long history and unique characteristics.

As I tried to say in my earlier post to the OP, you have to find what gives you pleasure and not what other people might say about your choice. Take all the info and go out on your own, spend time driving, and choose only what you really like.

I'm at home up in the canyons all by myself with no one else around. Cars shouldn't be about showing off. In the end it's all about the pleasure you get. Pretend that you are in a world by yourself and there's no one around to even see your car.

Last edited by stickypaws; 03-14-2009 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #87
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

When two cars run within tenths and a few mph of each other at the drag strip, they are very close in terms of acceleration. That's what it tells me.

I thought the link I posted made that clear.

I know your car is pretty quick, dunno what that has to do with what I was saying. *shrug*

I origninally stated the 997S is a superior sports car, which it is. Someone stated the M3 was much faster. I contended it was a driver's race, based on the 1/4th mile times. Both cars will, under most circumstances, probably run in the low 13s-high 12s @ 110 or a bit higher. The M3 has a slight advantage, seeing as it has a huge HP advantage, and only weighs a few hundred pounds more.

That said, it's a driver's race, and we aren't talking about something even as large as the difference between a stock 335i and an E90 M3.

Quote:
Really? So if the 60 foot is better on the 911 yet the M3 still pulls out ahead, what does that tell you?

Or when running from a roll?

And when running MULTIPLE times at the strip and the result never deviates? Sounds like a consistent result.

Ignoring the trap speed?

Of course the driver is a factor, but the machine has limits.

Doesn't change the fact the M3 puts down significantly more RWHP, and my results correlate with that FACT. All things being equal, the M3 puts much more power to to the tire.

The only way your argument works if under the assumption that person could not drive. How about that more than one driver ran that car on that day and no one broke 12's? Ooops....

Oh, and look at page 1 of the M3's, take a look at number 11, thanks.

Oh, and did you notice how not a single owner has been able to match magazine times with the Carrera S, even when modded? Funny, isn't it? Yet M3 owners have exceeded their numbers... hmm.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #88
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Exactly my point earlier. The M3 has superior HP, but because of the weight difference, in the straights they would be very close, basically a driver's race.

On the track, I'd favor the 997S.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0